Senate Says No To Ending ? Disparity...

Options
DarcSkies777
DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
edited March 2010 in The Social Lounge
Senate Says No To Ending ? Disparity.
Earlier this morning, Sen. ? Durbin announced that he and Sen. Jeff Sessions had reached a "compromise" in the Senate gym over Durbin's bill, which would have eliminated the 100 to 1 sentencing disparity for ? vs. powder ? .

"If you ever wonder if anything good ever happens there, it appears something good might have happened there," Durbin said, which may or may not have been an oblique reference to former Congressman Eric ? 's tale about being lobbied by Rahm Emanuel in the House gym. "Senator [Orrin] Hatch was there to witness it."

The compromise was that Durbin would accept Sessions' amendment to change the disparity from 100 to 1 to 20 to 1. In return, Sessions offered to withdraw his amendments that would have narrowed the circumstances under which a judge could reduce penalties for offenders who acted with "fear, impulse or affection," and would have imposed a 10-year mandatory maximum for simple possession rather than eliminating the five-year mandatory minimum for simple possession entirely.

"My position is for one to one, equity and equality in sentencing, but in order to get things done you have to be prepared to make mutual concessions," Durbin said. "That's what we have done."

In a statement, the ACLU Legislative Counsel Jennifer Bellamy urged Congress to eliminate the disparity entirely, saying, "We finally have the political will and momentum to end this unconstitutional disparity. We should not miss this opportunity to effect real change and ensure fair sentencing for all Americans."

The Judiciary Committee passed the bill, which will go to the full Senate for a floor vote. Instead of eliminating the ? /powder disparity, which practically everyone in the committee acknowledged disproportionately affects black Americans, the senators opted to make the law one-fifth as racist as it used to be.

The senators on the committee spent the rest of the markup complimenting each other on all they had achieved with their bipartisanship.
-- A. Serwer

LOL @ the bolded part.

Black crackheads lose again...goes to show you the Senate likes the inequalities in the justice system.

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Senate Says No To Ending ? Disparity.

-- A. Serwer

LOL @ the bolded part.

Black crackheads lose again...goes to show you the Senate likes the inequalities in the justice system.

Smh, another win for institional racism..

Hi kids... Just dont do ? .. and you wont have to worry about it..its pretty ? up but its completely avoidable.. If it was a parking ticket then i could see..
  • politicalthug202
    politicalthug202 Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    anybody will tell you that smoking ? causes more problems then sniffing powdered ? . now it shouldnt be 100 to 1 but it you defintly should get more time for ? . I know people who sniff coke who are CEO's and lawyers most crackheads i know are sucking ? for five dollars on the corner. tell me which one is worst. also this gives judges more flexibility to sentence since there is no more mandatory sentening. plus the bill only just came out of commitee. it can still be amendent on the floor. and with a majority democratic congress it could probably end up being 10 to 1. also white people who do ? get just as much time as blk crackheads.
  • Extermination
    Extermination Members Posts: 35
    edited March 2010
    Options
    The government intentionally engineers the creation of ? ? to control the ghetto, and control territory.

Get money for drugs, bust unwanted dealers and users, take the drugs for crooked spending and investing, repeat.

This is merely a conspiracy theory as of now, but it wouldn't surprise me.
  • bornnraisedoffCMR
    bornnraisedoffCMR Members Posts: 1,073 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    smh @ mandatory maximums
  • politicalthug202
    politicalthug202 Members Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    in the article they said the republican elimated the maximum in return for durbin(illinois) agreeing to 20-1 from a 100 to 1 for sentencing.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I thought this thread was gonna have worse news than that. If I'm reading correctly, this compromise means that the draconian 5 year mandatory minimum will mercifully die.

Also, the deal ensures that the ? will pass the ? wack-ass Senate. I kinda took it as a given that the Senate would murk any ? law reform, just like they've done to ? knows how many other bills that passed the House.
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    People should not be getting felony time for simple ? possession.

I DO agree that ? is more damaging than Coke. But if hood dealers are gonna get locked up then they need to lock up the government officials that shipped that ? in as well. And give THEM just as much time. (Iran Contra)

Either be fair or make it all legal.
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    in the article they said the republican elimated the maximum in return for durbin(illinois) agreeing to 20-1 from a 100 to 1 for sentencing.

Which is why I highlighted the other point.

Less racist is still racist.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Which is why I highlighted the other point.

Less racist is still racist.

? Sentencing Laws:
    Now with 80% Less Racist!
  • Funky Dr
    edited March 2010
    Options
  • BOSS KTULU
    BOSS KTULU Banned Users Posts: 978 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    crackheads are in the streets bothering people and stealing ?

coke users go to work and bolster the economy

legalize all drugs though
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    ? Sentencing Laws:
    Now with 80% Less Racist!
    Hahah you crazy real ?
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    BOSS KTULU wrote: »
    crackheads are in the streets bothering people and stealing ?

coke users go to work and bolster the economy

legalize all drugs though

this i agree with
  • tangible thoughts
    tangible thoughts Members Posts: 312
    edited March 2010
    Options
    who the ? smokes ? anymore?
  • perspective@100
    perspective@100 Members Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    anybody will tell you that smoking ? causes more problems then sniffing powdered ? . now it shouldnt be 100 to 1 but it you defintly should get more time for ? . I know people who sniff coke who are CEO's and lawyers most crackheads i know are sucking ? for five dollars on the corner. tell me which one is worst. also this gives judges more flexibility to sentence since there is no more mandatory sentening. plus the bill only just came out of commitee. it can still be amendent on the floor. and with a majority democratic congress it could probably end up being 10 to 1. also white people who do ? get just as much time as blk crackheads.

Your not serious are you? More time for the same drug, with additives, lol. So people should get more time for kush than some seedy comercial too. For the record white people who do ? are already dead, lol.
  • Funky Dr
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Your not serious are you? More time for the same drug, with additives, lol. So people should get more time for kush than some seedy comercial too. For the record white people who do ? are already dead, lol.

? isn't Kush though. ? is the damn devil. Crackheads are on another level....
  • BOSS KTULU
    BOSS KTULU Banned Users Posts: 978 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    who the ? smokes ? anymore?

people without lobbyists, apparently
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    the war on drugs will never end, and we have no solution other then to lock up those who sell drugs. They should either legalize it already or actually start trying to fix the problem. Drug addicts need to be rehabilitated, not imprisoned

ironically, we seem to have a bigger growing problem with people and their medicine cabinets
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    I don't think legalizing drugs is going to happen if even the government is pushing it just as much as the streets are. Legalizing it would just expose officials that are buying off the streets. Now if there is a way of doing it without damaging a politician's image, they are all for it.