5,000 Posts! 500 Threads! A Short History of The Essence. Favourite Threads and Why?

Options

Comments

• stupot0607
    stupot0607 Members Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »
    Haha, I hope we've not given you an addiction that leads you to an Essence Anonymous meeting!

Two great albums to get you into Independent Hip Hop, it's great when an independent hip hop album transcends genres or at least into the mainstream hip hop. Gives faith as to the quality of music spreading due to its quality.

What did you do for your first year on the I.C.?

Yeah, the playlists may become big, but when we break 30 songs a mix, I'll narrow it down to one song per person, but I still think that's some way away (Hope I'm wrong).

It's true for the most part, some great threads do occur in The Reason, but to be honest, I spend all my time in here and barely view it. I just clean the spam up when I can and contribute when I can because there are still some great heads in there too. Yeah, some posters will always complain and fall out of love with the music, if not the culture. It's a shame because they're usually just lazy and need a helping hand into finding better music. If someone is cloud-minded and falling out of love with something, they're usually more pessimistic than they were originally and sometimes it leads them away, which is a shame because it's their love of quality music that they crave... which ultimately drives them away from hip hop music, for good.

Props Stupot, it's great that The Essence is that important to some people, it's that important to me as well and to be honest, I know I may hideout in here and dedicate a lot of time,but it's still nothing without every other poster that posts... it's the sharing that you say in your post that really sets The Essence apart, we're all students and teachers in here and as long as it stays that way and we're all supportive of each other, it'll always be a great sub-forum. That's what I originally loved about the original I.C. the knowledgeable posters had a really good rapport and lead the way for the new posters showing them the history, the culture, the music etc. It's what I've used in many ways to gear The Essence as with age and listening, you get to become those posters you originally looked up to... but as you say, in other forums here, nobody listens... and therefore, they never become wise or educated about hip hop and its large variety of styles and artists... I don't see that happening to The Essence though, the music that we listen to usually resonates a certain type of listener in the first place and we're all open minded too.

Thanks for your post Stupot! Great post! :tu

I just signed up and never came back for a year, i dont know why, i used to be a lurker and i was like "nahhh ill never be bothered to post anything".... this was before i realised about the essence.

The playlist of the month will probably be better if it was one a man, if we got 25 - 30 posters, just a wider range in musical taste and style, but until then ill be happy posting my 2 Christina Aguilera songs (oh ? ive just given away next months selection away...oh well) Hahaha

Definitly man, if you realise what independant scene has to offer, you can never claim that "hip hop is dead".... Like how can hip hop be dead (although Nas is my favorite rapper of all time) if that album was realesed in 06' then Blu & Exile - Below the heavens dropped in 07' ...... Exactly!! ? who isnt sick of this arguement by now??

Speaking of sharing, Here Draft i found a great blogspot by some random which is amazing...... ive cheekly been stealing music from him for a while now haha

http://www.etalonhiphopblog.com/2007/11/3rd-bass.html
  • RuffDraft
    RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    stupot0607 wrote: »
    I just signed up and never came back for a year, i dont know why, i used to be a lurker and i was like "nahhh ill never be bothered to post anything".... this was before i realised about the essence.

The playlist of the month will probably be better if it was one a man, if we got 25 - 30 posters, just a wider range in musical taste and style, but until then ill be happy posting my 2 Christina Aguilera songs (oh ? ive just given away next months selection away...oh well) Hahaha

Definitly man, if you realise what independant scene has to offer, you can never claim that "hip hop is dead".... Like how can hip hop be dead (although Nas is my favorite rapper of all time) if that album was realesed in 06' then Blu & Exile - Below the heavens dropped in 07' ...... Exactly!! ? who isnt sick of this arguement by now??

Yeah, I did that for a while in 2003, but I decided to sign up eventually; I never signed up back then because The Reason was so knowledgeable. Imagine. I never felt like I could chime in on discussions, but once I did, I realised that there was a lot to be learnt from them… and by 2005, I was a much more knowledgeable head… in fact, in one year I learnt a lot, by 2005 I was even looking at the independent scene. Crazy.

Yeah, it used to be one song per person back when The Essence was really booming! We had so many posters back in like 2007/08 that we had a playlist of the week!!! But eventually that became too much for people to keep dropping and uploading so consistently which is why it changed to a monthly thing…

LOL @ Christina Aguilera… they may get lost in the mix, you know how it goes B lol.

Yeah, I mean, to be honest, I never participated in the Hip Hop is Dead conversations when they first arrived from Nas… I knew it was the case in the mainstream but The Format, Blue Collar, Fishcale, Game Theory, Food and Liquor and Hell Hath No Fury dropped that year and they're just the mainstream albums off the top.. so it was never apparent to me…

Lol @ that blog, I won't quote it… but let's just say I'm aware of it already…. lol. Props though…
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    We've now hit 500 threads (ignoring a few spam ones at the very bottom of the sub-forum… nice!
  • Food & Liquor
    Food & Liquor Members Posts: 1,126
    edited September 2011
    Options
    It's really great to see this board flourish so well, I've learned so much about the underground and independent scene from this board in the short time I've been here. Before joining the forums I had a perception of what underground was but when I started to lurk it all changed. I decided to join and I keep following this board now to see what new releases I can listen to as well as listen to some older stuff that I wouldnt of listened to hadn't I joined here. I mean, I'm bumping Nujabes at the moment and before I came on here if someone asked if I knew Nujabes I wouldn't have a clue what they meant

I think it's helped a lot by the people who stay in the board too. This place is a load different from the Reason, people are more open to music and sharing their ideas and it feels more of a group. It's a great effort by all of you guys and I'm glad I've been able to post in this board and learn so much more about music!
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    It's really great to see this board flourish so well, I've learned so much about the underground and independent scene from this board in the short time I've been here. Before joining the forums I had a perception of what underground was but when I started to lurk it all changed. I decided to join and I keep following this board now to see what new releases I can listen to as well as listen to some older stuff that I wouldnt of listened to hadn't I joined here. I mean, I'm bumping Nujabes at the moment and before I came on here if someone asked if I knew Nujabes I wouldn't have a clue what they meant

I think it's helped a lot by the people who stay in the board too. This place is a load different from the Reason, people are more open to music and sharing their ideas and it feels more of a group. It's a great effort by all of you guys and I'm glad I've been able to post in this board and learn so much more about music!

Great to hear, F&L :tu

Hahaha Nujabes is one of the greatest producers of all time, I'm jealous that you're only just discovering him… I've played some of his songs easily over a hundred times.

Yeah, we're definitely a collective, I agree… I hope that ethos continues here as well; I think the underground is like a family though, just like any minority of people; we're together to support one another against the masses of fans of commercial hip hop…. but at the same time, without others, we wouldn't discover underground music, it isn't really the easiest to find. It's great that you stop by, keep doing so and enjoying the board!!!
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    mos day ef thread of the year. id say i like the essence mixes as well as threads of when new albums drop from artits. i remember when i first joind th IC this \sub-forum was kinda dead but i would always check up on it tho. and its really became a great froum. found out about alot of hip-hop on here. ithink we just gotta keep doing what we do in this forum keep us informed on whats goin on in the underground.
  • will grimey
    will grimey Members Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options

That's some weird music...
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    satyrone wrote: »
    mos day ef thread of the year. id say i like the essence mixes as well as threads of when new albums drop from artits. i remember when i first joind th IC this \sub-forum was kinda dead but i would always check up on it tho. and its really became a great froum. found out about alot of hip-hop on here. ithink we just gotta keep doing what we do in this forum keep us informed on whats goin on in the underground.

Yeah, I think they're the same as mine… did you first join in 2010 or have you been around on the old I.C?

Definitely, I think this forum is really settled now; we have regular posters and that's all I ever really wanted it to be… the more we get now, the merrier but the drive for a consistent board where by I can log on after my 7 hours sleep and see that users in the States have posted along with posts coming in the day time whilst I'm at work; it's great to see…. I used to hope, now I almost expect a few posts… at least.

How so? Nujabes has a lot of tracks that are completely viable as well as some others that are maybe more so experimental, but everything in his music has soul and depth… he's an unbelievable talent who will be replaced by few, if any.
  • Food & Liquor
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Great to hear, F&L :tu

Hahaha Nujabes is one of the greatest producers of all time, I'm jealous that you're only just discovering him… I've played some of his songs easily over a hundred times.

Yeah, we're definitely a collective, I agree… I hope that ethos continues here as well; I think the underground is like a family though, just like any minority of people; we're together to support one another against the masses of fans of commercial hip hop…. but at the same time, without others, we wouldn't discover underground music, it isn't really the easiest to find. It's great that you stop by, keep doing so and enjoying the board!!!

Haha yeah, had the album in my avi on repeat for the past week. I'm starting to feel that A Day By Atmosphere Supreme is my favourite instrumental ever... and there are still others on the album that could rival it (Kumomi and Letter From Yokosuka are others that stick out)

And will do! Even if I'm not posting I'm still checking out the threads because there's some great releases and discussions
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Haha yeah, had the album in my avi on repeat for the past week. I'm starting to feel that A Day By Atmosphere Supreme is my favourite instrumental ever... and there are still others on the album that could rival it (Kumomi and Letter From Yokosuka are others that stick out)

And will do! Even if I'm not posting I'm still checking out the threads because there's some great releases and discussions

What about Beat Laments The World?! I always felt that was phenomenal!!! I just bought Modal Soul for £35, it was an original copy though.
  • Food & Liquor
    edited September 2011
    Options
    What about Beat Laments The World?! I always felt that was phenomenal!!! I just bought Modal Soul for £35, it was an original copy though.

It's another great instrumental but for me those others stand out more... the fact that they're all of a huge quality is something that has to be respected though!

Is Modal Soul that good? Haven't listened to it in full yet... is it better than Metaphorical music for example?
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    How so? Nujabes has a lot of tracks that are completely viable as well as some others that are maybe more so experimental, but everything in his music has soul and depth… he's an unbelievable talent who will be replaced by few, if any.

The common people call music from a Madlib, Dam Funk, Nujabes, Doom, or any other in that category weird music, because it's not referred and accepted outside of its conscious or immediate audience...so their type of music wouldn't be immediately accepted in the mainstream. ....And thats the ? point, lol (no disrespect to anyone), Nujabes RIP has had a huge following for his music most importantly of his abstract sound and style. One thing you have to realize in the underground hip hop culture is that not all people are going to like your music and they'll let you know that, but if you are good and inspirational, that like/dislike ratio could be at 100/1 or 1000/1 just to show an example. So in short, they are many people who do like them and follow their music, RuffDraft and myself being a couple of fans of Nujabes.

I mean like who you like, but never show bias towards someone just by listening to one or two tracks from him. I mean I shouldn't show bias either towards Souljah Boy, there may be tracks I like from him, but overall I stick with my Nujabes, or Doom, or Asamov.

If you don't like Nujabes, you probably wouldn't get into Willie Evans Jr. either, his sound is his own abstract sound that people like and he has created his trademark through his music rapping or producing. And I'm not stopping you from disliking them, there are a thousand of well known and respected emcees and producers out there doing it in the underground, not even taking away from many in the mainstream.
  • satyrone
    satyrone Members Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Yeah, I think they're the same as mine… did you first join in 2010 or have you been around on the old I.C?

Definitely, I think this forum is really settled now; we have regular posters and that's all I ever really wanted it to be… the more we get now, the merrier but the drive for a consistent board where by I can log on after my 7 hours sleep and see that users in the States have posted along with posts coming in the day time whilst I'm at work; it's great to see…. I used to hope, now I almost expect a few posts… at least.

yea i joined in 2010. never was on the old I.C. this is mos def a good spot to talk about some good hip-hop and not the ? .
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    It's another great instrumental but for me those others stand out more... the fact that they're all of a huge quality is something that has to be respected though!

Is Modal Soul that good? Haven't listened to it in full yet... is it better than Metaphorical music for example?

Yeah, definitely… I think I'm alone in stating that Beat Laments the World is my all time favourite Nujabes track.

It's a difficult choice of course, but the main favourites amongst fans from what I've seen over the years are Reflection Eternal, Another Reflection and Feather (in particular).

Yes, it is that good. To me, in terms of quality, it's a better album than Metaphorical Music. That said, Metaphorical music has more standouts, IMO. It's lacking in places, where as Modal Soul isn't. But Modal Soul doesn't reach the heights of Metaphorical Music, so over the years I've played MM more, mainly because of my obsession with Beat Laments The World.

You can't go wrong with either though, do you have his other releases?
    traestar wrote: »
    The common people call music from a Madlib, Dam Funk, Nujabes, Doom, or any other in that category weird music, because it's not referred and accepted outside of its conscious or immediate audience...so their type of music wouldn't be immediately accepted in the mainstream. ....And thats the ? point, lol (no disrespect to anyone), Nujabes RIP has had a huge following for his music most importantly of his abstract sound and style. One thing you have to realize in the underground hip hop culture is that not all people are going to like your music and they'll let you know that, but if you are good and inspirational, that like/dislike ratio could be at 100/1 or 1000/1 just to show an example. So in short, they are many people who do like them and follow their music, RuffDraft and myself being a couple of fans of Nujabes.

I mean like who you like, but never show bias towards someone just by listening to one or two tracks from him. I mean I shouldn't show bias either towards Souljah Boy, there may be tracks I like from him, but overall I stick with my Nujabes, or Doom, or Asamov.

If you don't like Nujabes, you probably wouldn't get into Willie Evans Jr. either, his sound is his own abstract sound that people like and he has created his trademark through his music rapping or producing. And I'm not stopping you from disliking them, there are a thousand of well known and respected emcees and producers out there doing it in the underground, not even taking away from many in the mainstream.

Lol @ Common people haha are we freaks Trae?! LOL. You're coming out with some classics in this thread, 'and that's the ? point!' LOL

Exactly, I'm not closed minded towards artists that are talked about in The Reason, I became a fan of J. Cole by being open-minded even though deep down I had my doubts.
    satyrone wrote: »
    yea i joined in 2010. never was on the old I.C. this is mos def a good spot to talk about some good hip-hop and not the ? .

Ahh okay, I seriously would have had you down as someone of the old I.C. You have a posting style similar to those older posters. It's good.

Definitely.
  • traestar
    edited September 2011
    Options

Lol @ Common people haha are we freaks Trae?! LOL. You're coming out with some classics in this thread, 'and that's the ? point!' LOL

Exactly, I'm not closed minded towards artists that are talked about in The Reason, I became a fan of J. Cole by being open-minded even though deep down I had my doubts.

Definitely.

Nah man, we're conscious people in which are open minded to have our own culture and language and tastes. Common people follow "what's hot?" "How many records he sold?" "How much swagger he got"....lol I mean not to sound bias, but I'm just saying

...Imma say this and don't laugh...but I actually like LMFAO (not the new annoying, deadbrain, "Party Rock Anthem") but I actually liked "I'm in Miami ? ". Nothing to rotate on my CD player, but it was ok. (Another thing, I didn't know they are related to Berry Gordy)
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Nah man, we're conscious people in which are open minded to have our own culture and language and tastes. Common people follow "what's hot?" "How many records he sold?" "How much swagger he got"....lol I mean not to sound bias, but I'm just saying

...Imma say this and don't laugh...but I actually like LMFAO (not the new annoying, deadbrain, "Party Rock Anthem") but I actually liked "I'm in Miami ? ". Nothing to rotate on my CD player, but it was ok. (Another thing, I didn't know they are related to Berry Gordy)

Lol, yeah… I think it's cool though as we all have that phase as a kid, the difference is, when we were kids, there were still great albums dropping in the mainstream and a lot of great emcee's.

I've never really checked for them; I just listened to I'm in Miami ? … the beats a strange one. In fact, I don't like the beat, sounds like a lukewarm European beat… Have you heard of David Guetta?
  • traestar
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Lol, yeah… I think it's cool though as we all have that phase as a kid, the difference is, when we were kids, there were still great albums dropping in the mainstream and a lot of great emcee's.

I've never really checked for them; I just listened to I'm in Miami ? … the beats a strange one. In fact, I don't like the beat, sounds like a lukewarm European beat… Have you heard of David Guetta?

Thing is today is very different than back when we were growing up, there was actually different styles and sounds that you could follow. And even if you were into the mainstream, the artists actually worked hard in anything they did, granted they had to put their own music out there for whatever reason especially because of the limited resources compared to today.

Yea LMFAO, the beat for that Miami ? does sound weak, but they have more of that post-Black Eyed Peas pop sound to them that sounds watered down. But its fun, mindless, and simple...I'm not in love with the song, but it was catchy. Another thing, that doesn't get me to buy their album either.
  • traestar
    edited September 2011
    Options
    As for David Guetta, definitely heard the name, didn't really follow follow his music, but when I hear his name I turn to DJ Hero (...which reminds me, I still have to get DJ Hero 2)
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Thing is today is very different than back when we were growing up, there was actually different styles and sounds that you could follow. And even if you were into the mainstream, the artists actually worked hard in anything they did, granted they had to put their own music out there for whatever reason especially because of the limited resources compared to today.

Yea LMFAO, the beat for that Miami ? does sound weak, but they have more of that post-Black Eyed Peas pop sound to them that sounds watered down. But its fun, mindless, and simple...I'm not in love with the song, but it was catchy. Another thing, that doesn't get me to buy their album either.

Yeah, it's a shame that todays climate is definitely different. I used to love an album like The Blueprint dropping, or Stillmatic, or The Marshall Mathers LP, or Back for the First Time etc. Def Jam brought the heat back in those late 90's early 00's.
    As for David Guetta, definitely heard the name, didn't really follow follow his music, but when I hear his name I turn to DJ Hero (...which reminds me, I still have to get DJ Hero 2)

A lot of people don't consider him talented live; but he's producing for all the big artists over in Europe, I think they're only releasing them here… like Rihanna, Kid Cudi and co. He has a better sounding LMFAO style…
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options

Yeah, it's a shame that todays climate is definitely different. I used to love an album like The Blueprint dropping, or Stillmatic, or The Marshall Mathers LP, or Back for the First Time etc. Def Jam brought the heat back in those late 90's early 00's.

A lot of people don't consider him talented live; but he's producing for all the big artists over in Europe, I think they're only releasing them here… like Rihanna, Kid Cudi and co. He has a better sounding LMFAO style…
  • traestar
    edited September 2011
    Options
    There is something wrong with the forum, thats probably why you're getting triple posts!

From 98-00 was basically Def Jam's big hurrah for artists and groups, thats why State Property and Dipset was gigantic at that time. It was a straight movement..almost everyone wanted to get signed on Def Jam.

David Guetta sounds very polished IMO in comparison with them
  • micfiendsbro
    micfiendsbro Members Posts: 8
    edited September 2011
    Options
    i just joined bcuz i thought we had porn lol!

honestly i joined 2 years ago & was pretty active. i always liked this forum bcuz everyone seems pretty insightful. co sign what every1 said about discussing new albums etc.

also idk what happened to all of my posts but i know i had more than 2 lol
  • traestar
    edited September 2011
    Options

honestly i joined 2 years ago & was pretty active. i always liked this forum bcuz everyone seems pretty insightful. co sign what every1 said about discussing new albums etc.

When Ill Community messed up, not everything converted!!
  • RuffDraft
    edited September 2011
    Options

Haha props on making the comeback, think I remember your s/n. Keep p opting, we're about to have an onslaught of great albums!
  • ninjasenses
    ninjasenses Members Posts: 157
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Nice post as always ruff, and don't worry I'm still around. Need to get back in the habit of posting...glad this place is hoppin again though for real. I missed the old essence and I feel like we own it again. After the IC was down forever and came back I thought we lost it. Alot of props are owed to you ruff for bringing it back and also modding, thanks man!! :tu