Tips & tricks thread

Options
Kang_Solomon_Grundy
Kang_Solomon_Grundy Members Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭
edited February 2011 in Fresh Produce
no, this isn't about shake junt pimpin'; post up some helpful ? that otha ? might not be hip to.
Ex.: my potna showed me how to record simultaneous midi instruments into pro tools, with the audio of each being routed to it's own track. before, I could only do 1 at a time. the vst you use has to be multi-timbral, meaning it can route instruments to individual output channels. I'm gonna record the video of it being done and post it later.

Comments

• a_wack_poster
    a_wack_poster Members Posts: 588 ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Ummm ? , I usually record midi ? in pro tools to an audio track, but even then the ? dont quantize like I want it to. I like for ? to be right on the grid.

So i just ? wit reason right now until I can get in a studio with all the protools ? set up. We just got one funky ass motif rack, and a midi controller. Thats about it. No MPC, no other synths, just that and imagination.

But uhh yeah, Try starting off beats with different parts. I usually always start with a melody, then hats, drums, then chords, then add lil extra ? . U might make your ideas better if you start with chords, or if you start with the drums.

I dont sample tho, I wanna try that ? just to ? around. Any tips on that?

Aww yeah I know a lot about synthesizers too so any questions on what all the knobs do on them just ask
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Sample Your Own Samples

I don't know if anyone thinks to do this, but I have come across a MPC. I record a lot of stuff live and I thought maybe I revisit beats I've done and drop the beat and used the melodies for sampling. If you are a crafty musician, you can make "ol' school" sounding beats and use them for sampling.
  • drematic
    drematic Members Posts: 234
    edited February 2010
    Options
    for all my FL Studio users, if anyone cares to know, i'd be happy to break down how to ReWire Reason through FL Studio and route multiple instruments from Reason to separate mixer channels in FL Studio. also, you know how sometimes when you render a track to an mp3 and one of your plugins seem to be off just a little bit? i've got a workaround for that issue as well. but i'm not gonna waste my time explaining if nobody cares.

DedBeatzMuzik
    KrookedKingdom
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    edited February 2010
    Options
    I'm on that fruity loops now, so disregard dat otha ? . FL is da truth. Drop dat ? , gorilla pimpin grodd........
  • The Prime Minister
    The Prime Minister Members Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    An arpeggiator is the truth for all types of instruments.

Delay is also dope for samples and vocal parts.

Just experiment.
  • drematic
    edited February 2010
    Options
    i'ma try to keep it simple...
    open a new project in FL Studio
    click on Channels in the toolbar>Add One>ReWired
    click on the ReWired channel in the Step Sequencer
    when the Channel Settings box appears, change Client to Reason & switch on Multi Outputs below that
    click on Show Panel and Reason will open
    there will be two warning boxes, just click OK on both
    the Hardware Device in Reason should say ReWire Slave Mode
    hit the Tab button and add an instrument from the Tool Window (i.e. NN19, NN-XT, Malstrom, etc)
    leave Audio Outs 1 & 2 on the Hardware Device free (disconnect any instruments)
    connect the Mono/Left Audio Output from your added instrument to Audio Out 3 on the Hardware Device
    (as you add instruments connect them to the Hardware Device in sequential order starting with #3)
    back in FL Studio, click on Channels in the toolbar>Add One>MIDI Out
    click on the MIDI out channel in the Step Sequencer
    when the Channel Settings box appears, change Channel to 2 and Port to 1
    click on the ReWired channel in the Step Sequencer
    when the Channel Settings box appears, click on MIDI Options
    the Channels list on the right shows your added instruments (Hardware Interface should be first, followed by your instruments)*
    the Mappings list on the left is where you will add Map ports
    below this list you will change Map to Input and port to 1, click on Add/Change
    repeat this process for as many instruments as you will add in Reason, increasing the port # of course for each one
    create/insert/add a MIDI out channel in the FL step sequencer for every instrument you add in Reason
    the channel setting for each MIDI out channel in the step seq should correspond with the # of the instr in the MIDI Options channel list*
  • Aime Antonio
    Aime Antonio Members Posts: 85
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Use a delay on percussion that isnt the kick or snare...Sometimes it works for the snare but has to be right circumstances
  • ghostwalker
    ghostwalker Members Posts: 7
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Don't oversaturate your music with Reverb...use a little on Drums (Very Little) and the most on instruments other than main melody. Reverb provides tracks with sense of depth.

Check out samples at

http://ghostwalkerbeats.com
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2010
    Options
    Ween Off Default Sounds....

It's easy to allow ourselves to become depended on keyboards and music software for a lot of their default sounds especially if the sounds are good. However, chances are we are not the only one with those keyboards and music software. Experiment with these sounds; figure out how to make your own sounds by even using those defaults.
  • the admiral
    the admiral Members Posts: 7
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Ummm ? , I usually record midi ? in pro tools to an audio track, but even then the ? dont quantize like I want it to. I like for ? to be right on the grid.

So i just ? wit reason right now until I can get in a studio with all the protools ? set up. We just got one funky ass motif rack, and a midi controller. Thats about it. No MPC, no other synths, just that and imagination.

But uhh yeah, Try starting off beats with different parts. I usually always start with a melody, then hats, drums, then chords, then add lil extra ? . U might make your ideas better if you start with chords, or if you start with the drums.

I dont sample tho, I wanna try that ? just to ? around. Any tips on that?

Aww yeah I know a lot about synthesizers too so any questions on what all the knobs do on them just ask

Do you know where to get them weird synths. something like swizz beat did with the transformer beat
  • midwest_messiah
    midwest_messiah Members Posts: 635 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »

It's easy to allow ourselves to become depended on keyboards and music software for a lot of their default sounds especially if the sounds are good. However, chances are we are not the only one with those keyboards and music software. Experiment with these sounds; figure out how to make your own sounds by even using those defaults.
    I co-sign this post 100%

www.soundclick.com/tbkbeats

^^^^^^^
    THE HOTTEST BEATS YOU'VE EVER HEARD. PERIOD.
  • a_wack_poster
    edited March 2010
    Options

Like dude above said U gotta get yourself off of default sounds... I use default sounds, then I tweak em, throw a phaser/delay/distortion/reverb/ or somethin on em, eq em. I'm using Reason right now and the THOR can make a looooottt of crazy ? happen. I havent learned it all the way through yet, but its fun ? wit this thing
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
  • a_wack_poster
    edited March 2010
    Options
    What does everyone here use anyway? I'm using just reason to sequence different ? . I got a hard drive full of refills and drums and other useless ? so Im kinda limited on what I can help out with
  • midwest_messiah
    midwest_messiah Members Posts: 635 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    What does everyone here use anyway? I'm using just reason to sequence different ? . I got a hard drive full of refills and drums and other useless ? so Im kinda limited on what I can help out with

I use:

FL Studio 8 XXL
    Hypersonic 2
    Sonik Synth 2

www.soundclick.com/tbkbeats

^^^^^^
    THE HOTTEST BEATS YOU'VE EVER HEARD. PERIOD.
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Great thread! Always experiment and have an open minded approach when making beats. Remember that they're no rules! Just make that ? ill!

http://unda.bandcamp.com
  • bkkbully
    bkkbully Members Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

Reason 4.0
    Pro Tools 8
    Evolution Keyboard
    Akai MPD24
    Numark TTUSB Turntable
    Audacity

Instruments:
    Guitar
    Acoustic Piano
    Xylophone (lol)
    Used to have a drumset but it got me kicked out of my last apartment.
  • Pretty Fred
    Pretty Fred Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Im using:
    Pro Tools 8 LE
    MPC 1000
    Juno-G synth
    a gang of virtual instruments

to get drums sounding crazy have at least 2 seperate drum tracks and make one slightly off beat, the kick drum will sound wider.
  • Pretty Fred
    Pretty Fred Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Im using:
    Pro Tools 8 LE
    MPC 1000
    Juno-G synth
    a gang of virtual instruments

to get drums sounding crazy have at least 2 seperate drum tracks and make one slightly off beat, the kick drum will sound wider.

www.pmpworldwide.com/tc
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options

Good sounds are good sounds. Thing is, alot of products ship w/ some ? defaults....you're not a serious producer if you only use the FLStudio default drums. (though it worked well enough for Soulja Boy, didn't it?)
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2010
    Options
    imho, the two most crucial things...

1) SAVE EVERY BEAT YOU EVER MAKE

2) BACKUP YOUR ?
  • drematic
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

2) BACKUP YOUR ?

realest post ever
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    edited March 2010
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

2) BACKUP YOUR ?
    drematic wrote: »
    realest post ever
    real talk; until FL implements an "auto-save" function like PT, "control+s" all day LOL
  • drematic
    edited March 2010
    Options
    it actually does have a pseudo-autosave function. it's got a hidden temp folder. i'ma try to remember the file path and i'll post it.
  • Kang_Solomon_Grundy
    edited March 2010
    Options
    drematic wrote: »
    it actually does have a pseudo-autosave function. it's got a hidden temp folder. i'ma try to remember the file path and i'll post it.
    word; damn, mayne you da FL guru LOL