Atheists reserve Nativity scene spots usually taken by churches, feelings caught

Options
@My_nameaintearl
@My_nameaintearl Banned Users Posts: 2,609 ✭✭
edited December 2011 in For The Grown & Sexy
f2C563MGN1EB2DBD.lg.jpg

OCEAN AVENUE — A coalition of 13 churches will open a truncated version of their annual holiday display Sunday with an impassioned plea to City Hall to restore 11 pieces of prize real estate that were snatched up by a group of activist atheists.

An organization called Save Our Nativity Scenes, or SONS, requested that churches ring bells at 3 p.m. Dec. 11 to signal the start of a ceremony that will end in a flashlight vigil, urging city officials to reserve space specifically for the booths.

For the past 57 years, the churches erected 14 displays along the length of Ocean Avenue depicting scenes from the nativity story about the birth of Jesus Christ using life-size figures.

In all that time, the churches have had little to no competition for the total 21 spaces available for displays, because only three regular applicants took up approximately 16 spaces.

Not this year.

For the first time in the history of the winter holiday displays 13 individuals entered the race for the 21 spaces rather than the usual three, forcing City Hall to use a random lottery system to allot the spots.

That process left the churches with only two spaces on which they can put up only three of the usual 14 scenes.

A Jewish group received one space for a menorah and two individuals snagged a total of 18 spaces for "solstice greetings." One person can request a maximum of nine spaces.

To date, only two of the solstice spots have been filled, and both with set-ups declaring an aversion to organized religion.

It smacks of collusion, said Hunter Jameson, a spokesperson for the churches.

"Our belief is that these new applicants have been working together to displace and push out the nativity scenes from the park, rather than erecting a full display of their own," Jameson said.

It's not paranoia if they really are out to get you.

Damon Vix, a prop builder who works off and on in Santa Monica, has his crosshairs set on the religious displays.

Vix burst onto the winter display scene in 2010 when he put up a sign emblazoned with Thomas Jefferson's quote, "Religions are all alike — founded on fables and mythologies," and other selections from both the founding fathers and Supreme Court decisions about the importance of separating church and state.

He now helps other atheists populate the spaces in Palisades Park, including the national American Atheists, Inc., which has put up informational booths sporadically since 1982, and the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

"For 60 years, it's almost exclusively been the point of view of Christians putting up nativity scenes for a whole city block," Vix said.

Secularists of all stripes feel the need to be more vocal, and express their civil rights and beliefs on religion, Vix said.

The free speech argument only goes so far with Jameson, who pointed out that not only were the spaces empty as of Dec. 8, the people who applied to fill them are not Santa Monica residents.

"That is not really fair, not in the spirit of the rules and certainly not in the spirit of free speech," Jameson said.

Jameson pushed for a "local preference" for the display spaces, similar to that given to Santa Monica-based sports teams for access to public fields. City Hall has shown a clear recognition of local preference in those areas, and should do so here, he said.

"A local group should get the ability to display and continue a community tradition," Jameson said.

Unlike sports, the winter displays cross the boundary into First Amendment rights, which know no geographical boundaries, wrote City Attorney Marsha Moutrie in an e-mail.

"Everyone has equal rights to use the streets and parks for expressive activities, irrespective of residency," Moutrie wrote.

Vix doesn't blame the churches for their activism. He believes they feel compelled to spread their views, he just doesn't feel they're adding anything to the conversation.

"I absolutely believe that it's superstition and they're hindering our society," he said. "I'm sure they'll try anything they can. I hope the city can make a good choice."

http://www.smdp.com/hc.e.73107.lasso

Comments

• Idi Amin Dada
    Idi Amin Dada Members Posts: 3,192 ✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    ? like this is what annoys me about atheists.

Why? Does you feeling nothing about a holiday mean you have to ? on something significant to another?

and this is coming from an atheist.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    atheism - a nice place to visit but i wouldnt wanna live there.
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options

Why? Does you feeling nothing about a holiday mean you have to ? on something significant to another?

and this is coming from an atheist.

I think you mean anti-theists.

I also think it makes no sense to lump atheists together, not just for the usual 'generalizing is bad' reason, but because atheists have nothing in common besides not believing in the same thing.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    SMH @ Them hating on the Winter Solstice.

Why can't they just let them celebrate the solstice in peace?
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited December 2011
    Options

But you're not annoyed that these churches feel entitled to 100% of public display areas every year. The atheists won those spots in a random lottery, fair and square.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    But you're not annoyed that these churches feel entitled to 100% of public display areas every year. The atheists won those spots in a random lottery, fair and square.

Why do the aethists even care though? What purpose does it serve other to ruffle peoples feathers. Its a ? move and you think its cute cause you suck ? .
  • riddlerap
    riddlerap Members Posts: 17,132 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    yeah i dont see the point. churches dont put up Nativity scenes to annoy people. surely it might annoy some, but so does ANYTHING. these people seem to do it just in spite and to make it so others cant do something they would like to do. childish.
  • fiat_money
    edited December 2011
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    SMH @ Them hating on the Winter Solstice.

Why can't they just let them celebrate the solstice in peace?
    Word. Don't they have their own holidays to celebrate?

Why are they worried about somebody else celebrating the solstice?

If they don't like the Winter Solstice, they just shouldn't celebrate it.
  • fiat_money
    edited December 2011
    Options
    ? the Winter Solstice, by the way.

? holiday.icon14.gif

I'm not going to try to impede someone else's celebration of it though.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    edited December 2011
    Options

No sweat off my back. It's fair. It's just passive aggressive childish ? .
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Fiat is answering your questions, Will and Riddle.
  • Idi Amin Dada
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Will Munny wrote: »
    Why do the aethists even care though? What purpose does it serve other to ruffle peoples feathers. Its a ? move and you think its cute cause you suck ? .

I'm saying though. It's not like my blood boils when I see a nativity scene.
  • Will Munny
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Fiat is answering your questions, Will and Riddle.

Don't be so coy...

I'm not even sure what reason aethists even have to organize. THeir belief in.... not believing? Almost sounds like a relegion.
  • earth two superman
    edited December 2011
    Options
    i wonder if atheists are gonna cry when Hitchens dies.
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited December 2011
    Options
    i wonder if atheists are gonna cry when Hitchens dies.

i didnt cry when pac died but...
    Will Munny wrote:
    I'm not even sure what reason aethists even have to organize.
    For the most part, we just want everybody to know we exist, we're normal people, we don't worship Satan, and we want the same rights and freedoms as everybody else enjoys.

What's wrong with that? You don't complain that churches run ad campaigns constantly and announce their presence to the world at every opportunity. But atheists speak up and you catch feelings.
  • Will Munny
    edited December 2011
    Options
    i didnt cry when pac died but...

For the most part, we just want everybody to know we exist, we're normal people, we don't worship Satan, and we want the same rights and freedoms as everybody else enjoys.

What's wrong with that? You don't complain that churches run ad campaigns constantly and announce their presence to the world at every opportunity. But atheists speak up and you catch feelings.

So they are a relegion...
  • Aristo_V300
    Aristo_V300 Members Posts: 6,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    This is why athiests are trusted as much as rapists...
  • @My_nameaintearl
    edited December 2011
    Options
    So they are a relegion...
    No. There are some organizations dedicated to protecting and/or promoting atheism, but even these are not religions. I'm pretty sure you know what that word means and I shouldn't have to define it for you. Then again, you can't even spell it.
  • Will Munny
    edited December 2011
    Options
    No. There are some organizations dedicated to protecting and/or promoting atheism, but even these are not religions. I'm pretty sure you know what that word means and I shouldn't have to define it for you. Then again, you can't even spell it.

So the purpose of promoting the winter solstice is what?
  • earth two superman
    edited December 2011
    Options
    So the purpose of promoting the winter solstice is what?

rabble rousing. nothing more, nothing less.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    riddlerap wrote: »
    yeah i dont see the point. churches dont put up Nativity scenes to annoy people. surely it might annoy some, but so does ANYTHING. these people seem to do it just in spite and to make it so others cant do something they would like to do. childish.

welcome to the mentality of the human race
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    as an athiest....if u dont believe in anything why does someone elses beliefs affect u so much that u feel the need to stop them from believing, but would be offended and angered if a believer was to ever try to convince u to believe when u dont?
  • kat2180
    kat2180 Members Posts: 12,056 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Atheists & PETA = the biggest crybabies ever
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    edited December 2011
    Options
    eh.....idc about the plot...i've seen dumber things celebrated than the winter solstice. but why those specific plots that they know are taken up by nativity scenes? if your day is seriously affected by 3 wise men your problems are deeper than religion.
  • Huruma
    Huruma Members Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2011
    Options
    Young-Ice wrote: »
    if anything that's more reason to shun them. They're an organization that charges people money to preform a free service. They don't pay taxes and they influence lives - often negatively. (wars, mortification of the flesh, executions, ? , witch hunts etc)

this might not be true..
    considering christians often have many things they share due to believing in the same thing
    (imagine two people of the same church)
    i'm sure if surveys were taken of athiests they'd share many beliefs and ideas outside of the existence of ? too.

Atheism might correlate with believing in evolution, being pro-choice etc. but by definition, atheists only have not believing in a ? in common.