George Lucas: "Hollywood is still RACIST" (Problems with getting "Red Tails" Made)

Options

Comments

• Rey Negro
    Rey Negro Members Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    - if the help is a movie about black people that proves black movies make bank, then so does the blind side and dangerous minds. these are movies about how nice white people are that use ? to send the message

- bad boys 2 being a blockbuster proves no points when will smith by himself guarantees any movie to make 100mil+. and bad boys/bad boys 2 was not an all black cast like red tails. yall really think george talkin bout hollywood needs convincing to release will smith joints?

- dont just wright, jump the broom, etc. prove that black films actually are being made? ? talkin like the last black-cast movie we saw was Friday. if we are seeing these films come out then obviously there is not a blackball

Bruh....we're obviously talking about an Avatar with blacks, a Matrix with blacks, a Social Network with blacks, a Saw trilogy with blacks.
  • sniperk
    sniperk Members Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I remember seeing Malcolm X at the movie theatre at the show the day it came out.

Me and my homie (who also happens to be white) were the only people in the movie theatre!!!

I'm not bullshitting! There were no other people in the crowd and this is at one of those multiplexes with 24 theatres. I could see how the subject matter might not interest some people but where were even the black people at?

Spike Lee's movie was around 3 hours longs but Denzel's performance was amazing and people sit through ? like Titanic and Avatar for that long.

When Nelson Mandela came out for that cameo in the movie... it was like ? damn!

That movie looked like a 100 million dollar production... so underrated.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    - if the help is a movie about black people that proves black movies make bank, then so does the blind side and dangerous minds. these are movies about how nice white people are that use ? to send the message

- bad boys 2 being a blockbuster proves no points when will smith by himself guarantees any movie to make 100mil+. and bad boys/bad boys 2 was not an all black cast like red tails. yall really think george talkin bout hollywood needs convincing to release will smith joints?

- dont just wright, jump the broom, etc. prove that black films actually are being made? ? talkin like the last black-cast movie we saw was Friday. if we are seeing these films come out then obviously there is not a blackball

As far as "The Help" and "Blind Side" they featured the whole "White Savior" Gimmick that has been overdone by hollywood for decades. I said in an eariler post that "Bad Boys" wasn't an all Black Cast but many still feel "Bad Boys" was a "Black" film cause it was the 1st time a major action film had 2 Black as the leads and in the sequel once you added Gabrelle Union, the 3 main leads were black which was huge. We know that comedy's and Drama with all Black Cast get released by hollywood routinely but our debate is where are the diversity.

There can't be a Sci-Fi Black Film? Or an Action? it's like Hollywood is scared to do anything outside of Comedy, Drama and Historical films. Also let's put some REAL money into an all black cast, not your typical Under 30 Million Budget. Even 2 years ago, the Biopic about one of my favorite rappers ever Biggie which was an All Black Cast got a 20 Million Budget and made close to 50 Million WW and another 20 Million on DVD so it made it's budget back and then some. If I did a chart, I'm sure most Black Films make their budgets back then ones that don't. So why won't they put more money and promotions into all Black Cast, I just don't understand it.

Rey ? wrote: »
    Bruh....we're obviously talking about an Avatar with blacks, a Matrix with blacks, a Social Network with blacks, a Saw trilogy with blacks.

That's what I was saying enough with the same tired Comedies and Drama, show me a really cool sci-fi film with a Black Cast, that would be dope. In Defense of "The Matrix" that had to be the Blackest Sci Fi film Ever. The whole Zion seemed like Black People, some of the Biggest leads were Black Stars and if Will had taken the role the main character would of been black. With that said, i'm glad Will didn't take it, I can't see anyone but Keanu and his bad 1 liners and wooden/robotic acting as Neo, lol. Will would of looked a little goofy in that role to me but Will was dumb for doing "Wild Wild West" over "The Matrix". Also please don't bring up Horror Films and blacks, cause black people are already use to the Black Guy dying a horrible death early, I was shocked when Busta Rhymes didn't get killed by Michael Myers, lol.

sniperk wrote: »
    I remember seeing Malcolm X at the movie theatre at the show the day it came out.

Me and my homie (who also happens to be white) were the only people in the movie theatre!!!

I'm not bullshitting! There were no other people in the crowd and this is at one of those multiplexes with 24 theatres. I could see how the subject matter might not interest some people but where were even the black people at?

Spike Lee's movie was around 3 hours longs but Denzel's performance was amazing and people sit through ? like Titanic and Avatar for that long.

True Story, I was in the 7th Grade when "X" dropped and I was going to a Black Middle School in D.C. at the time and our History teacher got us to sign release forms and the whole class went on a trip to see it. It was one of the most powerful experiences of my life, "X" is one of the greatest films ever, Spike proved his GOAT status with that film, Denzel murdered the role and they were all robbed at the Oscars, that film should of gotten 7 to 8 nods easy, it got 2. The Film did 50 Million at the Box Office but it went over budget cause the studio stop funding the film during production and Spike had to get Black entertainers across music, sports and film to help him finance it, shows you how hollywood feels about our Heroes.
  • KingJamal
    KingJamal Members Posts: 20,652 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    A Group of black actors/producers/writers/directors etc. Need to pool there money and start up a Black Hollywood based on the Eastcoast or Southeast or sumthin
  • rapmastermind
    edited January 2012
    Options
    KingJamal wrote: »
    A Group of black actors/producers/writers/directors etc. Need to pool there money and start up a Black Hollywood based on the Eastcoast or Southeast or sumthin

co-sign and this is what really ? me off about Tyler Perry, I'm not one to hate on his hustle, I'm happy a brother got his own studio and is banking and making his own films. Also most of all Tyler's cast are black. With that said, with all that money, power you choose to make the same weak characters and films. Why isn't tyler doing other genre's like Sci-fi? I mean Medea 25? Really Tyler? It's pathetic how he has a chance to revolutionize the game for Black Flimmakers yet he chooses to again do those weak characters. Spike was right about it, there's a little buffonary with Perry's films.
  • KingJamal
    edited January 2012
    Options
    co-sign and this is what really ? me off about Tyler Perry, I'm not one to hate on his hustle, I'm happy a brother got his own studio and is banking and making his own films. Also most of all Tyler's cast are black. With that said, with all that money, power you choose to make the same weak characters and films. Why isn't tyler doing other genre's like Sci-fi? I mean Medea 25? Really Tyler? It's pathetic how he has a chance to revolutionize the game for Black Flimmakers yet he chooses to again do those weak characters. Spike was right about it, there's a little buffonary with Perry's films.

Thats an easy question to answer. He's not talented enuff to do films like that and he knows it. His talent is wearing a dress.
  • rapmastermind
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Thats an easy question to answer. He's not talented enuff to do films like that and he knows it. His talent is wearing a dress.

I agree, his talent is limited as far as storytelling But he doesn't have to direct them. Just use his studio and give other black Filmmakers a chance to make them, he can be the executive producer. Sad, you have a Studio and you have a bankroll but all I see is characters that are so played out and at times very overly stereotypical of black culture. But Hollywood loves that so they will release a Tyler Perry movie in a heart beat. We support Tyler cause we know how hard it was for him to get on and become a success but I feel more and more blacks are getting tired of his characters. Which is why I'm noticing him moving away from the Madea character.
  • FroHawke
    FroHawke Members Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

Tyler Perry is a complete ? who does not want to challenge himself or his audience. Given the platform he has, you would think he would be able to line up more of the black fantasy movies and such but he keeps churning out the stupid romantic dramas. I'm so on this Red Tails ? ...too bad it took Lucas to greenlight it.
  • KingJamal
    edited January 2012
    Options
    I agree, his talent is limited as far as storytelling But he doesn't have to direct them. Just use his studio and give other black Filmmakers a chance to make them, he can be the executive producer. Sad, you have a Studio and you have a bankroll but all I see is characters that are so played out and at times very overly stereotypical of black culture. But Hollywood loves that so they will release a Tyler Perry movie in a heart beat. We support Tyler cause we know how hard it was for him to get on and become a success but I feel more and more blacks are getting tired of his characters. Which is why I'm noticing him moving away from the Madea character.

Hollywood doesn't release Tyler Perry movies. His films are distributed by Lionsgate.
  • rapmastermind
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Hollywood doesn't release Tyler Perry movies. His films are distributed by Lionsgate.

I know, They are an independent distributor But they are still in the Hollywood circle just small tier distribution.
  • KingJamal
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Tyler Perry is a complete ? who does not want to challenge himself or his audience. Given the platform he has, you would think he would be able to line up more of the black fantasy movies and such but he keeps churning out the stupid romantic dramas. I'm so on this Red Tails ? ...too bad it took Lucas to greenlight it.

I told rapmastermind why he doesn't do other genres
  • TANGLUNG
    TANGLUNG Members Posts: 806 ✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    From what I was listening to on the radio (Russ Parr), the reason more black films weren't given as much money as other films was because The Color Purple was boycotted by the NAACP because they thought a black director should have been behind the scenes instead of Spielberg. I don't know how true this is but I think that Hollywood did not want that kind of negative press.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    sniperk wrote: »

I remember seeing that movie on VHS. That ? took me on an anti-white phase in the mid 90s lol. That film is too damn powerful to be explained in words.
  • illedout
    illedout Members Posts: 8,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Damn he just figuring that out??
    Naw but yea I'm going to see that..
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Rey ? wrote: »

White people are writing the movies you just named. What black screenwriters are soliciting hollywood with Matrix/Social Network type movies starring all-black casts, and getting them turned down? Everybody in this thread is doing a good job assuming that these films are shopped and then just shot down, but I haven't seen any black Avatars and black Matrix's even being conceptualized, much less rejected by 'the man'.

Could it be black people aren't writing these types of films and are instead writing movies like Just Wright/Friday/etc.? If there is evidence to the contrary then post it.
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    As far as "The Help" and "Blind Side" they featured the whole "White Savior" Gimmick that has been overdone by hollywood for decades. I said in an eariler post that "Bad Boys" wasn't an all Black Cast but many still feel "Bad Boys" was a "Black" film cause it was the 1st time a major action film had 2 Black as the leads and in the sequel once you added Gabrelle Union, the 3 main leads were black which was huge. We know that comedy's and Drama with all Black Cast get released by hollywood routinely but our debate is where are the diversity.

No movie with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence behind it will have trouble being greenlit. They are two of the more mainstream black actors. Add to that Bad Boys, despite what you want to say, was not a black film in the same vein as Red Tails. George's comment was specifically regarding all-black casts with larger budgets. No movie that doesn't satisfy both of those conditions is applicable to his point. Clearly Hollywood is willing to make all-black movies with low budgets, or semi-black movies with large budgets. That they don't feel justified to combine the two cannot be attributed purely to racism if you care about the business aspect at all.
    There can't be a Sci-Fi Black Film? Or an Action? it's like Hollywood is scared to do anything outside of Comedy, Drama and Historical films. Also let's put some REAL money into an all black cast, not your typical Under 30 Million Budget. Even 2 years ago, the Biopic about one of my favorite rappers ever Biggie which was an All Black Cast got a 20 Million Budget and made close to 50 Million WW and another 20 Million on DVD so it made it's budget back and then some. If I did a chart, I'm sure most Black Films make their budgets back then ones that don't. So why won't they put more money and promotions into all Black Cast, I just don't understand it.

Who are the black writers who are pitching all-black Avatar to movie studios and getting shut down. Because from what it seems like, ? handicap themselves with the kinds of scripts they are willing to write. You can't expect white people to write these sci-fi blockbusters and give every part to ? for the same reason you don't expect ? to do vice versa. Why would they? They don't owe black people anything, which is the sense i'm starting to get from posters in this thread.

How many black screenwriters are there anyway? Why should we expect the volume of black films to equal the volume of white films when the ratio of black writers to white writers is even more lopsided than the population numbers? We are seeing black movies being made, you've mentioned some with Notorious, and others have said Just Wright, Jump the Broom, so on. Could it be these are the kinds of films our brothers are writing, and thus these are the kind of films we see?

White casts are better guarantees of money because ? will see white movies regardless (everybody will see white movies), and white people (as well as asians, latinos, etc.) won't necessarily see black movies.

Why would whitey write a sci-fi/action movie and cast all major parts to black actors, when they can do the same thing with white actors and make more money? What tangible incentive is there to do this except that IC ? won't get their feelings hurt?
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    Cuz ? just wanna see hood things cuz they feel they relate to that but then they get mad when Hollywood exploit that frame of mind. It's like with rap ? , one minute people are saying how they wanna relate and how they want everything a rapper say to be true but then complain about how rappers are shooting each other and ? . Y'all mufuckas don't know wtf y'all want.

Face it the people that record companies and Hollywood manipulate are black women. They are the more gullible ones hence all these movies were "I need a strong black man" like Tyler Perry movies are out there. ? just do whatever they think ? like so ? are irrelevant. Gangsta music is hot? Then ? start wearing street gear, fist-pumping music is in this week? Next week every ? walking around with tight pants and make up on.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    No movie with Will Smith and Martin Lawrence behind it will have trouble being greenlit. They are two of the more mainstream black actors. Add to that Bad Boys, despite what you want to say, was not a black film in the same vein as Red Tails. George's comment was specifically regarding all-black casts with larger budgets. No movie that doesn't satisfy both of those conditions is applicable to his point. Clearly Hollywood is willing to make all-black movies with low budgets, or semi-black movies with large budgets. That they don't feel justified to combine the two cannot be attributed purely to racism if you care about the business aspect at all.

Ever hear of Taharqa? Will is attached to this and it has yet to be greenlighted.
    You're trying really hard to justify their racist practices by attaching it to businesses and profitability.

Who are the black writers who are pitching all-black Avatar to movie studios and getting shut down. Because from what it seems like, ? handicap themselves with the kinds of scripts they are willing to write. You can't expect white people to write these sci-fi blockbusters and give every part to ? for the same reason you don't expect ? to do vice versa. Why would they? They don't owe black people anything, which is the sense i'm starting to get from posters in this thread.

How many black screenwriters are there anyway? Why should we expect the volume of black films to equal the volume of white films when the ratio of black writers to white writers is even more lopsided than the population numbers? We are seeing black movies being made, you've mentioned some with Notorious, and others have said Just Wright, Jump the Broom, so on. Could it be these are the kinds of films our brothers are writing, and thus these are the kind of films we see?

I take it you have no idea who Octavia Butler is?
    Or that the "Underworld" series was conceived by this man, Kevin Grevioux.

Kevin-Grevioux-1.jpg
    White casts are better guarantees of money because ? will see white movies regardless (everybody will see white movies), and white people (as well as asians, latinos, etc.) won't necessarily see black movies.

Why would whitey write a sci-fi/action movie and cast all major parts to black actors, when they can do the same thing with white actors and make more money? What tangible incentive is there to do this except that IC ? won't get their feelings hurt?

Hmmmmm?
    White casts are guarantees of successful films?

Arthur
    Studio: Warner Bros.
    Stars: Russell Brand, Helen Mirren, Jennifer Garner
    Release Date: April 8, 2011
    Budget: $40 million-plus
    Worldwide Gross: $45.7 million

Cowboys & Aliens
    Studio: DreamWorks/Universal
    Stars: Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford
    Release Date: July 29, 2011
    Budget: $163 million
    Worldwide Gross: $178.8

Conan the Barbarian
    Studio: Lionsgate
    Stars: Jason Momoa, Rose McGowan
    Release Date: Aug. 19
    Budget: $90 million
    Wordwide Gross: $48.8 million

I Don't Know How She Does It
    Studio: Weinstein
    Stars: Sarah Jessica Parker, Greg Kinnear
    Release Date: Sept. 16
    Budget: $24 million
    Worldwide Gross: $30.5 million

The Big Year
    Studio: 20th Century Fox
    Stars: Steve Martin, Jack Black, Owen Wilson
    Release Date: Oct. 14, 2011
    Budget: $41 million
    Worldwide Gross: $7.4 million

The Rum Diary
    Studio: GK Films
    Stars: Johnny Depp, Aaron Eckhart
    Release Date: Oct. 28, 2011
    Budget: $45 million
    Worldwide Gross: $21.6 million

Anonymous
    Studio: Sony (U.S., most foreign territories)
    Stars: Rhys Ifans, Vanessa Redgrave, David Thewlis
    Budget: $30 million
    Worldwide Gross: $14.8 million

Jonah Hex:
    Co-financed by Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures, this big screen D.C. Comics adaptation cost upwards of $40 million to make, but went nowhere in its high-profile summer slot. Film grossed just $10.5 million domestically and less than 500K overseas for a total $10.9 million. Warners canceled plans for a major overseas rollout after the film’s poor domestic showing.

Knight and Day (Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz)
    Budget: $117 million
    Box Office: $76.4 million
  • rapmastermind
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The wildest thing about this story is Lucas is basically saying anything with an all Black Cast has a Budget Cap. It seems Hollywood will not spend no more than 40, 50 Million on an All Black Cast. The fact Blacks have a budget cap shows you how racism is still strong in Hollywood. The Reviews are coming in and "Red Tails" is getting good reviews thus far.
  • rapmastermind
    edited January 2012
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    Ever hear of Taharqa? Will is attached to this and it has yet to be greenlighted.
    You're trying really hard to justify their racist practices by attaching it to businesses and profitability.

I take it you have no idea who Octavia Butler is?
    Or that the "Underworld" series was conceived by this man, Kevin Grevioux.

Kevin-Grevioux-1.jpg

Hmmmmm?
    White casts are guarantees of successful films?

Arthur
    Studio: Warner Bros.
    Stars: Russell Brand, Helen Mirren, Jennifer Garner
    Release Date: April 8, 2011
    Budget: $40 million-plus
    Worldwide Gross: $45.7 million

Cowboys & Aliens
    Studio: DreamWorks/Universal
    Stars: Daniel Craig, Harrison Ford
    Release Date: July 29, 2011
    Budget: $163 million
    Worldwide Gross: $178.8

Conan the Barbarian
    Studio: Lionsgate
    Stars: Jason Momoa, Rose McGowan
    Release Date: Aug. 19
    Budget: $90 million
    Wordwide Gross: $48.8 million

I Don't Know How She Does It
    Studio: Weinstein
    Stars: Sarah Jessica Parker, Greg Kinnear
    Release Date: Sept. 16
    Budget: $24 million
    Worldwide Gross: $30.5 million

The Big Year
    Studio: 20th Century Fox
    Stars: Steve Martin, Jack Black, Owen Wilson
    Release Date: Oct. 14, 2011
    Budget: $41 million
    Worldwide Gross: $7.4 million

The Rum Diary
    Studio: GK Films
    Stars: Johnny Depp, Aaron Eckhart
    Budget: $45 million
    Worldwide Gross: $21.6 million

Anonymous
    Studio: Sony (U.S., most foreign territories)
    Stars: Rhys Ifans, Vanessa Redgrave, David Thewlis
    Budget: $30 million
    Worldwide Gross: $14.8 million

Jonah Hex:
    Co-financed by Warner Bros. and Legendary Pictures, this big screen D.C. Comics adaptation cost upwards of $40 million to make, but went nowhere in its high-profile summer slot. Film grossed just $10.5 million domestically and less than 500K overseas for a total $10.9 million. Warners canceled plans for a major overseas rollout after the film’s poor domestic showing.

Knight and Day (Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz)
    Budget: $117 million
    Box Office: $76.4 million

It's amazing, he really thinks there are no Black Screenwriters trying to write other types of films. It's not a matter of Black Screenwriters aren't writing other genre's, it's the fact Hollywood will not buy a screenplay from them that doesn't fit the stereotypical type of films they want Blacks to show. Good breakdown showing the box office. The fact is the excuses aren't holding up, they are using systematic racism to keep mintory theme actors, directors and films down. Check out this article:

"The 10 Black Films that may never be released"

http://www.blackfilm.com/read/2011/08/ten-black-films-that-may-never-be-released-in-theaters-or-on-dvd/
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    red tails have been on my radar since I first heard about it. and yes there are plenty of black screen writers out there but here rarely giving the chance
  • CirocObama
    edited January 2012
    Options
    The wildest thing about this story is Lucas is basically saying anything with an all Black Cast has a Budget Cap. It seems Hollywood will not spend no more than 40, 50 Million on an All Black Cast. The fact Blacks have a budget cap shows you how racism is still strong in Hollywood. The Reviews are coming in and "Red Tails" is getting good reviews thus far.

No it's business. You're not thinking logically my dude. Even though i dislike it it's obviously business. If you wanna call out racism it should be to the audience that refuse to watch and support a movie, even if it's good, with an all black cast compared to a mediocre movie with a all white cast in it.
  • CirocObama
    edited January 2012
    Options
    It's amazing, he really thinks there are no Black Screenwriters trying to write other types of films. It's not a matter of Black Screenwriters aren't writing other genre's, it's the fact Hollywood will not buy a screenplay from them that doesn't fit the stereotypical type of films they want Blacks to show. Good breakdown showing the box office. The fact is the excuses aren't holding up, they are using systematic racism to keep mintory theme actors, directors and films down. Check out this article:

http://www.blackfilm.com/read/2011/08/ten-black-films-that-may-never-be-released-in-theaters-or-on-dvd/

Again it's a no brainer. Because black people will more than likely support those stereotypical movies more than they will a movie from the left. What movie do you think black people would go and see first Red Tails or a Hood flick? Which is why Hollywood doesn't wanna push out money and invest in movies that they think won't make them any money back. It's business.

If anything too you should be mad at all these so called black ? in the industry not investing in those kind of movies instead of running arond the club tryna floss and making it rain.

I'm black too btw.
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options

That's a lot of films sitting in production hell, yet ? by Seth Rogen is approved of with the quicknees.

Even Danny Glover is having a hard time getting his film about Toussaint L'Ouverture made.
    Yes, the same Danny Glover who helped make Warner Bros over $900 million from the "Lethal Weapon" series.

And for the people complaining about "Red Tails" or its subject matter, how many films have been released in the past 20 years about World War 1 and 2, in addition to Steven Spielberg's "War Horse?" A film about a ? horse. A horse.

This link gives a partial list of the War films Hollywood and other world studios have put out.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_War_II_films

When a film chronicles the black experience in a world event, people get fatigued from the subject matter?
  • Gnawledgeable
    Gnawledgeable Members Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2012
    Options
    It's crazy that we'll see this movie just to support it. If it wasn't for the controversy but the trailer looked decent, probably would've checked it out anyway.