Asante Samuel traded to the Falcons for a 7th round pick...

Options
its....JOHN B
its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
sports.yahoo.com/news/falcons-trying-complete-trade-samuel-165110778--nfl.html;_ylt=AvIqpCLUW8DqryWe4lsy4O1DubYF

Did Asante fall off that hard? Is he no longer considered a top corner in the league or did no team want to take on his contract, and Falcons were the only team he was willing to restructure his contract for?

Comments

• themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    in before the thread clap
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    ? I was looking a stickied NFL thread, its right under mine
  • xChaseMoney
    xChaseMoney Members Posts: 9
    Options
    7th Rounder?
    Seriously?
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thread doing numbers
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They also freed up some money. That's the important part because they are trying to keep McCoy who is a much more important part of the team. Besides they got Asante's position covered. He thought he was going to be gone last for that very reason.
  • its....JOHN B
    Options
    They also freed up some money. That's the important part because they are trying to keep McCoy who is a much more important part of the team. Besides they got Asante's position covered. He thought he was going to be gone last for that very reason.

they couldnt get better than a 7th tho? I understand the move im just surprised
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When Asante ethered the eagles front office last year callin them "fantasy football owners" - I knew it was a wrap.

And let's be real - he didn't fall off at all. In fact he had a better season than any other eagle DB (check the stats) plus he covered just as many if not more #1 receivers than Nnamdi.

Dude just wanted out of philly and Philly couldn't afford to pay him AND Nnamdi 8 figures AND re-sign other players like Jax and McCoy.

All three sides got what they wanted/needed.

• its....JOHN B
    Options
    When Asante ethered the eagles front office last year callin them "fantasy football owners" - I knew it was a wrap.

And let's be real - he didn't fall off at all. In fact he had a better season than any other eagle DB (check the stats) plus he covered just as many if not more #1 receivers than Nnamdi.

Dude just wanted out of philly and Philly couldn't afford to pay him AND Nnamdi 8 figures AND re-sign other players like Jax and McCoy.

I just want to know if there was no other team willing to give up at least a 4th or 5th for him, or was the falcons 7th rounder the only offer they got? it was a good move for the falcons especially considering he was willing to restructure his contract to play for them

• its....JOHN B
    Options
    With all the talent they have in Atlanta that team is going to be fun to watch, too bad thats all there ever going to be as long as Matt Ryan is there quarterback.
  • greenwood1921
    Options

I just want to know if there was no other team willing to give up at least a 4th or 5th for him, or was the falcons 7th rounder the only offer they got? it was a good move for the falcons especially considering he was willing to restructure his contract to play for them

The Falcons were the only team he was willing to take a 50% paycut for.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/26/asante-gets-14-5-million-over-three-years-with-escalators/

He wanted to go to a contender, plus Dimitroff (our GM) basically scouted and drafted him for New England.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I could be wrong, but I think they got money out of the deal too. That's what's most important. The way McCoy played last year sealing him up for this year is better than getting a high pick.

• greenwood1921
    Options

I could be wrong, but I think they got money out of the deal too. That's what's most important. The way McCoy played last year sealing him up for this year is better than getting a high pick.

They didn't get any money directly, bruh. They just freed up cap space 'cause Asante was due 21 Million dollars over the next two seasons. Now he's gon' get 14.5 over 3 seasons (+ escalators) with ATL.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2012
    Options

This ? true. Throughout his career everyone has always criticized asante for being a gambler which I really don't get. For 1 he's damn good at it and for 2 it's not like he gets beat a lot on some Deangelo Hall ? . He played well last year, ? I think our db's played damn good last year period especially in the 2nd part of the season. The problem was our run defense/safeties, and choking late in games. ? we locked yalls receivers down for 3 quarters and then gave it up in the fourth. Atl gonna be good with Grimes/Asante, Samuel has at least 2/3 good years left..
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol the newspapers was trashhhhin dis ? :

THE TRADE of @pick_six22 returned a seventh-rounder.

It's the most significant return Asante Samuel has made in years.

The Eagles traded Samuel to the Falcons for the 229th overall pick in this weekend's draft, apparently because a bag of hammers was way too much to ask.

The hammers hit a lot harder than Samuel ever did.

The Eagles thought they had solved their secondary problems for the long term when they signed Samuel as a $56 million free agent after the 2007 season. Well, they didn't.

For each of his 23 interceptions as an Eagle, Samuel missed five tackles.

For every pick he turned into six, he gave up 10 touchdowns.

Asante Samuel was a fraud, wrapped in a mirage, inside an illusion.

He had the hands of a receiver and the tackling skills of a quarterback.

Sorry, quarterbacks.

If Reggie White was the Minister of Defense, then Asante Samuel was the choirboy.

That is the first and last time you will see Samuel compared to a choirboy.

Not that Samuel is unprofessional. Samuel's preparation for games is legendary - because, after all, the more you prepare, the weaker you can play.

Samuel has made a career out of anticipation. Not winning battles for ? ; not covering tightly and physically, risking a dislocated finger or a sprained knee.

He is the master of the deflected interception; the king of right place, right time. He jumps routes like a kid jumps rope.

The two Eagles cornerbacks who remain, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Nnamdi Asomugha, can now play real NFL defense - the kind where they wrestle with a receiver at the line of scrimmage, run with him step-for-step and dare the quarterback to throw at them.

Troy Vincent defense.

Eric Allen defense.

The sort of defense that enables the wide-nine philosophy, giving time for defensive ends to crash the pocket; not the sort of defense that creates a bubble just past the line of scrimmage where QBs can dump passes before the pass rush gets close.

The wide-nine simply cannot work with the Charmin technique: soft coverage with a delicate finish.

Still, every once in a while, Samuel did lay a lick. Clearly, it left him delusional.

Of Philadelphia's fan base, he was quoted as saying:

"I know it was sad to see me go."

That would be the portion of the fan base with No. 22 jerseys.

Really, how can a guy named Asante play tough? And what does Samuel's breathy first name mean, anyway?

http://articles.philly.com/2012-04-26/sports/31410970_1_asante-samuel-defense-nnamdi-asomugha
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

The Eagles traded Samuel to the Falcons for the 229th overall pick in this weekend's draft, apparently because a bag of hammers was way too much to ask.

The Eagles thought they had solved their secondary problems for the long term when they signed Samuel as a $56 million free agent after the 2007 season. Well, they didn't.

Sorry, quarterbacks.

If Reggie White was the Minister of Defense, then Asante Samuel was the choirboy.

Not that Samuel is unprofessional. Samuel's preparation for games is legendary - because, after all, the more you prepare, the weaker you can play.

Samuel has made a career out of anticipation. Not winning battles for ? ; not covering tightly and physically, risking a dislocated finger or a sprained knee.

He is the master of the deflected interception; the king of right place, right time. He jumps routes like a kid jumps rope.

The two Eagles cornerbacks who remain, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Nnamdi Asomugha, can now play real NFL defense - the kind where they wrestle with a receiver at the line of scrimmage, run with him step-for-step and dare the quarterback to throw at them.

Troy Vincent defense.

Eric Allen defense.

The sort of defense that enables the wide-nine philosophy, giving time for defensive ends to crash the pocket; not the sort of defense that creates a bubble just past the line of scrimmage where QBs can dump passes before the pass rush gets close.

The wide-nine simply cannot work with the Charmin technique: soft coverage with a delicate finish.

Still, every once in a while, Samuel did lay a lick. Clearly, it left him delusional.

Really, how can a guy named Asante play tough? And what does Samuel's breathy first name mean, anyway?

http://articles.philly.com/2012-04-26/sports/31410970_1_asante-samuel-defense-nnamdi-asomugha

I don't care about stats or him not hitting anyone. If you watched the games Asante is a good corner. He is what he is, and I'd take his combination of skills/softness over a lot of the other db's skill sets in the league.
  • greenwood1921
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »

Sorry, quarterbacks.

Troy Vincent defense.

Eric Allen defense.

I don't care about stats or him not hitting anyone. If you watched the games Asante is a good corner. He is what he is, and I'd take his combination of skills/softness over a lot of the other db's skill sets in the league.

Word. That article just sound like a butthurt homer.

And last time I checked, the best corner in NFL history was a "gambler" that didn't like to "hit"...

SandersDeion2011.jpg

So the tradition continues, lol....

• themadlionsfan
    themadlionsfan Members Posts: 9,133 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ok....I believe that Burfict is gonna be there @ 196.....they need to pull the trigger on that....low risk....high reward....if he acts an ass u can just cut him.....hell.....its a 6th round pick