LETTER TO USHER:YOUR CAREER IS IN DANGER

Options
ABOUTTHATLIFE
ABOUTTHATLIFE Members Posts: 27
edited April 2012 in R&B & Alternatives
usher has always been the type of artist that you could depend on to come out with
real r&b music.yes,he is does intricate pop into his music but he does remember
the importance of what to do to keep the sound of real r&b into his music.he has
left his mark of his brilliance and talent and he has brought that into the fore front
to bring us the best music that he has ever made.i respect and appreciate every single
bit of his contributions that he has made in r&b.but lately his music has been less than
stellar and he's really living short to what he really stands for as an r&b artist.
what he wants to do is create a new sound with what he calls "revolutionary pop"
and,to him,he thinks this is a new sound that he discovered but,in all actuality this
"revolutionary pop"sound is nothing more than techno music.its nothing more than
what justin bieber is doing with his music or draft punk or jason derulo or chris brown
with his.he doesn't seem to understand that he is not a techno music artist and, he
does not have to turn to techno music to sell.he has the voice and the vision to pull
a classic,authentic r&b album but, what he is doing now is ? .now,he has a brand
new album coming out this summer and,if this album turns out to be a techno album,
mark all my words when i say he will lose alot of his respect from people that know his
music for what it really is.mark my words that he will lose his prestige as an r&b artist.
he too established for an artist to be making music that caters to the 13-18 yr old
teenage market he does not need to do that.why? im no hater or nothing but somthing
is telling me this new usher album is going to be the first flop of his career.i wish him
the best.

Comments

• d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usher has always been the type of artist that you could depend on to come out with
    real r&b music

Since when? He's been overrated forever.
  • ABOUTTHATLIFE
    Options

Since when? He's been overrated forever.[/quote]

my way
    confessions
    and about 20% of here i am

no other r&b artist that i know of has been able drop 3 classic albums back to back
    like that.u call it overrated.i call it pulling off the impossible
  • harry knucklez
    harry knucklez Members Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    "? " was cool, but I can't ? with this ? here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4OvY0_4l-o
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options

my way
    confessions

no other r&b artist that i know of has been able drop 3 classic albums back to back
    like that.u call it overrated.i call it pulling off the impossible [/quote]

R.Kelly would probably disagree.

Also, none of those are "classic" in my opinion. I think they all had some good songs but i dont ever remember being able to listen to any Usher CDs from start to finish without skipping a few tracks.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Usher needs to find his 8701/Confession song making self back
  • oatmealdude
    oatmealdude Members Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

my way
    confessions

yea imma need you to brush up on ya music then cause i mean theirs other that drop classics back to back like musiq dropped four classics back to back

Aijuswanaseing
    Juslisen
    Soulstar
    Luvanmusiq

just saying and a sidenote sales dont = classics i mean Usher had mad fillers on 8701 if i remember correctly lol
  • focus
    focus Members Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm not even an Usher fan like that, but...

Usher has had the number 1 R&B song in the country for a couple of weeks now on Billboard. I don't understand the thread.

Music evolves, artist need to as well to grow and remain relevant. Good music is good music and R&B is not the only "good" music...get over it.

I'm glad nobody ever told Michael Jackson to keep making "Off The Wall" over and over again...
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? is dope, but everything else he's been releasing is wack.
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R & B, at the classic form, is a lost art for the youngins.
  • focus
    edited May 2012
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »

This can be said of every new generation of "R&B". I guarantee you that the generation before yours feels it was lost when your generation of R&B came around. And the generation before that. And the generation before that. And the generation of people now will say the same of the next generation. Get.Over.Yourselves.Already.

Who are these "youngins"? When exactly did this "classic form" begin and end and says who? Who possesses this ultimate authority?
  • Wild Self
    Options
    focus wrote: »

This can be said of every new generation of "R&B". I guarantee you that the generation before yours feels it was lost when your generation of R&B came around. And the generation before that. And the generation before that. And the generation of people now will say the same of the next generation. Get.Over.Yourselves.Already.

Who are these "youngins"? When exactly did this "classic form" begin and end and says who? Who possesses this ultimate authority?

Singers trained in the black church or in a choir. All of the great singers of the past exercised their vocal ability in the church or in a choir. Whitney Houston, Michael Jackson, Boyz II Men. You think that Trey Songz can have the vocal range of those guys? The R & B is all about the club nowadays.

• focus
    Options
    again...

• Wild Self
    Options
    again...

youngins are people under 25 that grew up in electronic processed music. How come there are not anymore R & B singers that are on the level of R Kelly or Whitney Houston that make music that is R & B? as in not being mistaken for techno or Hip Hop.

• ABOUTTHATLIFE
    Options

my way
    confessions

yea imma need you to brush up on ya music then cause i mean theirs other that drop classics back to back like musiq dropped four classics back to back

Aijuswanaseing
    Juslisen
    Soulstar
    Luvanmusiq

just saying and a sidenote sales dont = classics i mean Usher had mad fillers on 8701 if i remember correctly lol [/quote]

uuuhhh no disrespect to u or to musiq soulchild but i dont remember anybody rating soulstar or luvanmusiq
    a classic but if they are where are the record sales cuz the last time i checked luvanmusiq was at 700k and
    and soulstar sold less than that.how about those billbord positions cuz the last time i checked soulstar wasnt
    in the top 10 on the album charts.now as far as the sales dont equal classics i agree but on the business side of the
    music if u aint bringing in the money then u lose and then u get dropped.ive got all of musiq's albums
    and even though he does have great music but lets talk real talk,musiq has great pen game usher has a great
    voice he's just not using it in the right way.
  • ABOUTTHATLIFE
    Options

my way
    confessions

R.Kelly would probably disagree.

Also, none of those are "classic" in my opinion. I think they all had some good songs but i dont ever remember being able to listen to any Usher CDs from start to finish without skipping a few tracks.[/quote]

u right im sorry.i just couldnt see past all r.kelly's whack ? over the past 10 years.
  • 209murdamike
    209murdamike Members Posts: 557 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

That was Jermaine Dupri...hell the entire story of Confessions is actually about Jermaine Dupri....JD has been behind most of Usher's biggest hits
  • tab58064
    tab58064 Members Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm sorry, but Usher needs to move away from that Euro-? style of music that he seems to lean towards on his uptempo songs and get back to doing a style the uptempo style pop/rnb that made him. His slower songs are still kool, but sometimes the sound is needing something more. He's still a damn good artists, but I would like him to stay closer to what made him, but make it sound fresh/current somehow.
  • tab58064
    tab58064 Members Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

That was Jermaine Dupri...hell the entire story of Confessions is actually about Jermaine Dupri....JD has been behind most of Usher's biggest hits
    That's true, but JD has proven to not have another hit in him so Usher and other artists who could count on him have to rely on themselves or someone else to find hits.

• focus
    edited May 2012
    Options
    again...

youngins are people under 25 that grew up in electronic processed music. How come there are not anymore R & B singers that are on the level of R Kelly or Whitney Houston that make music that is R & B? as in not being mistaken for techno or Hip Hop.

Again, could be said of any era. When Whitney Houston came out she was considered souless and too pop compared to the soul/R&B music that preceded her. Previous generations before Whitney don't ? with her like that.

And R. Kelly? Really. That's 90's R&B at its finest, but you crazy if you think ANY previous generation ? with R.Kelly. Especially the Hip-Hoppin R. Kelly of much of his career.
  • oatmealdude
    Options
    Of course he's careers' in danger. 'Cause people are into ? ass Chris Brown, and lack lustered techno garbage Jason Derulo [however u spell his name].
    Usher is still a legend I.M.O, but come on, in this day and age, he /R&B is not what is dominating the charts'.
    The last ''big'' commercial tune, which I felt they ''blew up'' from Usher, was ''O.M.G'' ft Will.I.Am

Yea but faggass chris brown can sing for real too and and the end of the day relevancy is what counts Usher got a sec. chance after that
  • oatmealdude
    Options

my way
    confessions

Aijuswanaseing
    Juslisen
    Soulstar
    Luvanmusiq

just saying and a sidenote sales dont = classics i mean Usher had mad fillers on 8701 if i remember correctly lol

uuuhhh no disrespect to u or to musiq soulchild but i dont remember anybody rating soulstar or luvanmusiq
    a classic but if they are where are the record sales cuz the last time i checked luvanmusiq was at 700k and
    and soulstar sold less than that.how about those billbord positions cuz the last time i checked soulstar wasnt
    in the top 10 on the album charts.now as far as the sales dont equal classics i agree but on the business side of the
    music if u aint bringing in the money then u lose and then u get dropped.ive got all of musiq's albums
    and even though he does have great music but lets talk real talk,musiq has great pen game usher has a great
    voice he's just not using it in the right way.
    [/quote]

i feel where you coming from on that one but musiq never been dropped if anything the label keeps rolling with him and as far as usher is concerned hes in a good lane if he wants to keep his head above water to where the music biz has headed you feel me lets just hope the next album is balanced thats all you can hope for cause this euro pop is here to stay even tho the US is just playing catch up with the rest of the world where this music been selling for a while now
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R and B music is dead, why can't you fool see that.

Beyonce put out a r and b album, lowest selling album of her career
    Melanie Fiona put out a r and b album, didn't sell ? .
    Keisha Cole put out a r and b album, didn't sell ?
    Jazmine Sullivan put out a r and b album, didn't sell ? .
    Mary J put out a r and b album, didn't sell ?
    A Keyes put out a r and b album, didn't sell ?
    Trey Songz don't really sell ?
    Omarion last album was actually good, didn't sell ?

People keep crying make r and b music but stay not buying albums. The money and sales are in pop/europop right now, these artist are going to go where the money is until r and b fans start buying r and b music. At the end of the day it's the fans who supply the demand, the labels just follow the trend.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

People keep crying make r and b music but stay not buying albums. The money and sales are in pop/europop right now, these artist are going to go where the money is until r and b fans start buying r and b music. At the end of the day it's the fans who supply the demand, the labels just follow the trend.

Maxwell moved over 400k first week with his last album. Erykah Badu and Jill Scott both did about 150k... So.....

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    usmarin3 wrote: »

Maxwell moved over 400k first week with his last album. Erykah Badu and Jill Scott both did about 150k... So.....

Maxwell sold that many albums because he has old fans (literally) and the hype of him not making a album in years, same ? for Sade. Still with all that he only went platinum and none of his singles popped off like that to go gold or platinum.

Badu and Jill Scott albums didn't even ? gold.

Why the hell would any artist make music for a demographic who doesn't support them. Usher can make some ? like ? that goes 3 x platinum and take him worldwide, over a niche r and b song that does nothing for him other than apease nostalgic traditional r and b fans.

Look at what is selling, stadium and pop sounding music (Flo Ridah, Rihanna, Pitbull). All that rave sounding music is what's translating commercially and what sells out stadiums.