New Lupe Fiasco Single: Around My Way + Lupe's Response to Pete Rock

Options
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in The Reason
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_aOjcm0zYUs

And here is Lupe's Response to Using Pete Rock. He says his team reached out and got his blessing to use the sample. (See first 3 mins of interview)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ke-NHksGJNc&feature=player_embedded

Comments

• DetroitBoi313
    DetroitBoi313 Members Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The track is cool but a song like Troy should be left alone.
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pete Rock is ?
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Pete Rock is ?

did lupe not get his cosign before sampling this or are you just messing around?

• CJVisuals
    CJVisuals Members Posts: 350
    Options
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dope, but not feeling the beat rip.
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Wow. Not sure how to feel about this.
  • Built 4 cuban linx
    Built 4 cuban linx Members Posts: 12,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm loving this
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    smh at jacking the whole TROY beat, really ? . You couldn't have reached out to Ye, Just Blaze, or Pete Rock himself for an original beat.
  • vslyke
    vslyke Members Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    tumblr_m4eehdF3hM1qfhlx7o1_1280.jpg Pete Rock is (rightfully) ? off about this track. Shame on Lupe. He's got all the talent in the world, but he can't stay out of his damn way. First the Tribe Called Quest debacle & now this.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    Wow. Not sure how to feel about this.

Thats how i feel im shocked someone like lupe would just take a beat like TROY and rap over it for a single. I mean im glad there are no more euro beats but damn lupe lol.

• IceBergTaylor
    Options
    So ppl gonna dismiss the fact he's paying homage to Pete Rock and TROY by bring this beat back for the younger kids who worship ASAP and such?
  • NothingButTheTruth
    Options
    $pyda wrote: »
    So ppl gonna dismiss the fact he's paying homage to Pete Rock and TROY by bring this beat back for the younger kids who worship ASAP and such?

Without asking him first? Stop it 5!
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options

It definitely isnt the 1st time Lupe rapped over this beat

• melanated khemist
    melanated khemist Members Posts: 608 ✭✭✭
    Options
    you motherfuckas ? about everything. excellent track from the 2nd best rapper right now. (esco #1)
  • vslyke
    vslyke Members Posts: 661 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That makes this ? even more inexcusable.
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    vslyke wrote: »

That makes this ? even more inexcusable.

Word? So howcome there wasnt an uproar the 1st time?

• NothingButTheTruth
    edited May 2012
    Options

There's a difference between a SINGLE and a FREESTYLE. T/S has it listed as a single, so if Lupe is literally going to rip Rock's beat and use it is as a single, then yes I have a problem with it.

If it's just a freestyle for his next mixtape, then it's fine since that kind of ? is standard nowadays.
  • IceBergTaylor
    Options
    I'm curious to see how this is gon play out now
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options

There's a difference between a SINGLE and a FREESTYLE. T/S has it listed as a single, so if Lupe is literally going to rip Rock's beat and use it is as a single, then yes I have a problem with it.

If it's just a freestyle for his next mixtape, then it's fine.

And even if he had it as a single he should have reached out to Pete Rock and had a talk with him to get his blessing or not get it and put another beat down to it. What shocks me is how easy it would have been to just have the producer make another beat. The subject matter is cool i can feel that but as long as you have a orig beat thats not euro pop it would have still been big.

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

? please, rapping on troy is like rapping on Mass Appeal. Any hiphop fan should know these beats, it doesn't need to be brought back.
  • desertrain10
    desertrain10 Members Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    dope...

really don't get why pete rock is ? , lupe did the track justice....
    he should of asked first though i guess *shrugs*

• CJVisuals
    CJVisuals Members Posts: 350
    Options

I also think the beat is untouchable, but it's a sample at the end of the day. Tom Scott and The California Dreamers created the original song that Pete Rock sampled, and if they got mad at him back when TROY came out, they'd look bitter as hell. Instead of going at Lupe, just use it as an opportunity to bring awareness to TROY for a new generation, because the comments on YouTube are about NBA Street Vol 2 haha

• IceBergTaylor
    edited May 2012
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »

? please, rapping on troy is like rapping on Mass Appeal. Any hiphop fan should know these beats, it doesn't need to be brought back.

Ima assume you skimmed past this part of my post
    Yeh you did that.