Will Android continue to gain more users or will the new Iphone 5 shut android to shame?

Options
Meela Dymme
Meela Dymme Members Posts: 168
edited May 2012 in IllTek
The pass 3 years android been on a comeup. To be honest I don't think they can get any bigger. Plus there is talks of the next Iphone being 4" so I'm sure that would grab a lot of users. One reason why i'm about to drop the 4s and head back to a 4.3" EVO LTE from Sprint. Since Iphone just made it's way to like 4 different carriers last year I'm sure they have room to improve so I see them gaining more shares in the mobile market beating out Android

Comments

• KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited May 2012
    Options
    The thing with that is... I think Android is literally gaining more users while Apple is moreso maintaining the same users who buy the new product every time they're released. BTW, when is the iPhone 5 coming out?
  • Meela Dymme
    Options
    Somewhat true. But you have to look at this new Iphone suppose to be a game changer. If it is than it will get NEW people. The 4s got new users because it finally released on sprint and Verizon last year. Now this time around if the up the screen size and add some other "cool" feature than I'm sure more people will flop over to the new iphone. The pass 2 versions really didn't make much of history since the 3gs can do what the current Iphones can do only differences is physical look
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Android isn't going anywhere. Google has invested too much into it and with them purchasing Motorola, the format will continue to grow steam.
  • Meela Dymme
    Options
    well ofcourse it's not going anywhere. on the mobile market it's only apple and android....Thing is Apple continues to move forward just a little bit with their content and others seem to follow. Like the whole Siri thing, iCloud, facetime(apple made it cool)....Seems like Android get yearly updates with a new interface, about it
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Android is more open for developers. Apple is a closed-in company whereas the Android community is geared towards creators. All in all, Google have been innovating a lot lately - not to say that Apple hasn't - but Google has a lot of momentum and with the environment they've created, I don't really see an end any time soon. The iPhone 5 might be nice but check up on the Samsung Galaxy S3 too.
  • Meela Dymme
    Options
    FlightKing wrote: »
    Android is more open for developers. Apple is a closed-in company whereas the Android community is geared towards creators. All in all, Google have been innovating a lot lately - not to say that Apple hasn't - but Google has a lot of momentum and with the environment they've created, I don't really see an end any time soon. The iPhone 5 might be nice but check up on the Samsung Galaxy S3 too.

well ofcourse it's not going anywhere. on the mobile market it's only apple and android....
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    As the consumer needs and knowledge advance, so will their decisions concerning droid or iphone. iphone is cool and it was gangsta at one point but its too constricting. And handling one feels like its a playskool toy "my first iphone". I don't need my hand held. Plus I don't like your safari. I like choices. I like open source code that provides opportunity for a better phone and OS performance.

iphone 5 won't put droid to shame but it will still do well because its an apple product. People love stat quos
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't really think the iPhone 5 will win over anyone new. I mean some people on the fence may pick up it up instead of a Droid. But let's be real, iPhone won't be a gamechanger. We all know that anything introduced with it will be introduced in a Droid phone soon after and likely improved upon. Everyone was going crazy over Siri. Now you can go on the Android Store and find like 10 apps that will do the same thing.
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    android def is more open to developing, plus they have flash which is better than anything apple can offer. hell, i got an evo for the simple fact i dont ? with apple and their marketing tactics of releasing the same product with little tweaks here and there for the same high ass price. ? is like ea sports and madden
  • FlightKing
    Options
    FlightKing wrote: »

well ofcourse it's not going anywhere. on the mobile market it's only apple and android....

I agree. I was saying that I don't see an end to the momentum that Android has. Basically, the iPhone 5 won't change ? . Android is taking over ? .
  • Meela Dymme
    Options
    Naw I think the next 2 years in the mobile department things are going to be a bit stale. Last year and this year it was all about having a 4g phone as the next big thing. A few of android devices have Tegra 3 which gives you cool graphics but really the Iphone pulls off cool games like MGS, Resident evil and Call of Duty and this was years ago while android just started coming out with psp leveled games(shadorun,dead space).....Right now with Samsung determined to outdo Apple i'll say things will be tight but I doubt android will hurt apple in their yearly or 2 iphone sales. Iphone is like 1 company while android has samsung, motorolla, HTC, Sony, Nokia, Windows....
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2012
    Options
    I just hope motorola bs motoblur dies...
  • FlightKing
    Options
    Naw I think the next 2 years in the mobile department things are going to be a bit stale. Last year and this year it was all about having a 4g phone as the next big thing. A few of android devices have Tegra 3 which gives you cool graphics but really the Iphone pulls off cool games like MGS, Resident evil and Call of Duty and this was years ago while android just started coming out with psp leveled games(shadorun,dead space).....Right now with Samsung determined to outdo Apple i'll say things will be tight but I doubt android will hurt apple in their yearly or 2 iphone sales. Iphone is like 1 company while android has samsung, motorolla, HTC, Sony, Nokia, Windows....

Those are all just hardware developers while Android is the software inside of it (if you will). That alone makes it a reach for what you're saying. Google (which creates Android) just purchased Motorola, which means that they're doing what Apple does for the iPhone, which is they're over the hardware and software of the device. Not only that, other manufacturers use their software unlike Apple and iPhone.

Also, other people make ROMs that customize how the Droid version works. The Android world will not be touched by Apple no time soon. iPhone got its fans and they're steady but Android is just as big and growing. Plus they ? with that 4S when they should've dropped that 5 but whatever.
  • longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^google didn't purchase Motorola, they bought their patents so they wouldn't get sued. Which is why Samsung made the last Nexus phone instead of Google. Google has no desire to get into the hardware market. They were just tired of them and their partners getting sued every time they released a phone.
  • FlightKing
    Options
    longmeat wrote: »
    ^^^google didn't purchase Motorola, they bought their patents so they wouldn't get sued. Which is why Samsung made the last Nexus phone instead of Google. Google has no desire to get into the hardware market. They were just tired of them and their partners getting sued every time they released a phone.

[Real ? ]
    I had no confidence in saying that they bought Motorola - it didn't feel right. I vaguely remembered but I typed it anyway cause I was too lazy to Google it (go figure) and refresh my memory. Either way, I ? up. ? just didn't feel like hitting that delete button. Thanks for the correction though!
    [/Real ? ]

With that being said...
    "I'm always right. When I'm right, I'm right. When I'm wrong, I could've been right so I'm still right cause I could've been wrong."

BWP_Terrence_Howard007.jpg
  • MrSoutCity
    Options

I think you might be wrong bruh.

It's Official: Google Is Now a Hardware Company
    from Businessweek
    Last August, Google (GOOG) Chief Executive Officer Larry Page fulfilled a pledge made to one of his senior executives, a square-jawed former attorney named Dennis Woodside. Apple (AAPL) CEO Tim Cook had been trying to poach Woodside to make him Apple’s head of sales, but Google had convinced Woodside to stay, in part by promising him greater responsibility at the search company, according to two people with knowledge of the matter, who asked not to be named because the discussions were private. Now it was time to make good. Woodside says he was speaking with board member Ram Shriram when ... To Continue Reading Click Here

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-05-22/its-official-google-is-now-a-hardware-company
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MrSoutCity wrote: »

from Businessweek
    Last August, Google (GOOG) Chief Executive Officer Larry Page fulfilled a pledge made to one of his senior executives, a square-jawed former attorney named Dennis Woodside. Apple (AAPL) CEO Tim Cook had been trying to poach Woodside to make him Apple’s head of sales, but Google had convinced Woodside to stay, in part by promising him greater responsibility at the search company, according to two people with knowledge of the matter, who asked not to be named because the discussions were private. Now it was time to make good. Woodside says he was speaking with board member Ram Shriram when ... To Continue Reading Click Here

http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2012-05-22/its-official-google-is-now-a-hardware-company

Hey they bought Motorola for their patents but they bought the company all the same. Look for Google to sell Motorola with licensing rights to its patents.
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    that new evo and that S3 are monsters.

neither company is going anywhere though b/c i'm sure once the new ipod is on deck folks will be standing in lines and camping out

• longmeat
    longmeat Members Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭
    Options
    MrSoutCity wrote: »

from Businessweek

They bought mobility for the patents. The lawsuits from Nokia, Apple, RIM, and a host of others are unending. Apple successfully got some Samsung devices banned in some EU countries (Samsung is the largest Android manufacturer on the planet and outsold Apple worldwide last quarter). Sun just lost a case suing Google for Patent infringement. Here's an article from july of last year from Google's general counsel talking about the patent issue:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-26/google-general-counsel-says-patents-are-gumming-up-innovation.html

The smartphone patent war has been going on for a while now. Google never had plans to make it's own hardware. It's why they partnered with HTC for the G1 and Nexus One, Samsung for the Nexus S and Galaxy Nexus, and are reportedly working with Asus for the Nexus Tablet.

Motorola has 17,000 patents. The only other company with more is Nokia, I believe.
  • caddo man
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »

neither company is going anywhere though b/c i'm sure once the new ipod is on deck folks will be standing in lines and camping out

Getting the EVO when wifey plan runs out. That MFer has beatsmobile when you connect a beats headphones.

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Google did buy Motorola. The reason they bought them was so that they could have their patents. They had to make that clear because they had a lot of people afraid that they were going to make the Android OS exclusive to Motorola phones. But the terms of the deal were that they couldn't do that for at least 5 years.
  • JJ 1975
    JJ 1975 Members Posts: 336
    Options
    I have a Galaxy Note. I think the screen is like 5" or 5.3". I think it's pretty damn great ... combines the best of smart phones with a tablet.

I think Android is going to keep growing. I don't see the iPhone's market share going down, bu they've kind of plateaued a bit haven't they ... the 4s seemed to be a disappointment and didn't offer enough new.
  • caddo man
    edited May 2012
    Options
    CainMarko wrote: »
    caddo man wrote: »

Getting the EVO when wifey plan runs out. That MFer has beatsmobile when you connect a beats headphones.

Bruh you can put that Beats mobile on your phone now if its at least running Gingerbread. I have it on my HTC Inspire and that phone is a year hold.

? sound great btw

Good to know. But I need a new phone anyway. I just need another reason to upgrade.
    JJ 1975 wrote: »
    I have a Galaxy Note. I think the screen is like 5" or 5.3". I think it's pretty damn great ... combines the best of smart phones with a tablet.

I think Android is going to keep growing. I don't see the iPhone's market share going down, bu they've kind of plateaued a bit haven't they ... the 4s seemed to be a disappointment and didn't offer enough new.

I'm thinking about getting the Note but the thing is so big might be concerned withi it for everyday use. Does it hinder your everyday use?

Good question! I am thinking about leaving Sprint before the ship sink and that Note or the Galaxy SIII is calling my name. But I run with my phone. That damn Note look just way too much to be lugging around on my arm.
  • MrSoutCity
    Options

Bruh you can put that Beats mobile on your phone now if its at least running Gingerbread. I have it on my HTC Inspire and that phone is a year hold.

? sound great btw

Good to know. But I need a new phone anyway. I just need another reason to upgrade.
    JJ 1975 wrote: »

I'm thinking about getting the Note but the thing is so big might be concerned withi it for everyday use. Does it hinder your everyday use?

Good question! I am thinking about leaving Sprint before the ship sink and that Note or the Galaxy SIII is calling my name. But I run with my phone. That damn Note look just way too much to be lugging around on my arm.

The ipod is the main reason I am planning to jump ship back to iphone. The music players on the Androids are wack as ? .
  • Michael_Malice
    Michael_Malice Members Posts: 17,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Stability/Usability >>>>> Fragmentation
    HTML5 >>>>>>> Flash
    iOS >>>>>>>>> Android