Thoughts On Black Hippy, Individually and as a group?

Options
StillFaggyAF
StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2012 in The Reason
“We want that to be all the way right. It’s something that we planned from the jump, solidify each individual artist and then we’ll come with the boom. I’m not saying when. Just be ready and lookout for Ab-Soul right now. That’ll be the last puzzle to that Black Hippy thing coming.” - Kendrick Lamar

What y'all think about these albums?

Follow_Me_Home.jpg
Section.80-Cover.jpg
HabitsnContradictions.jpg
ab-soul.jpg

Comments

• Beware
    Beware Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭
    Options
    we should all thank ? that these guys came along! they're about to do big things!
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They're dope individually and as a group..they're making the best music in rap right now imo
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    i wonder what an album by them would sound like
  • yeah i rap so don't
    yeah i rap so don't Members Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man, if Kendrick's and Schoolboy's Interscope releases do decent numbers, we can demand it. Ab just had their second biggest opening week since Section 80. They can cultivate the attention, then it will be huge.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    Man, if Kendrick's and Schoolboy's Interscope releases do decent numbers, we can demand it. Ab just had their second biggest opening week since Section 80. They can cultivate the attention, then it will be huge.

yeah i see q and kendrick as the most commercially viable. soul is the least. all are dope. just copped Follow Me Home and its got some joints
  • yeah i rap so don't
    Options

yeah i see q and kendrick as the most commercially viable. soul is the least. all are dope. just copped Follow Me Home and its got some joints

Yea, that is public perception, but Control System sold more than any of Q's efforts opening week, so there is viability there without doubt. I really wish they would put out a record with Just Blaze.
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options

Yea, that is public perception, but Control System sold more than any of Q's efforts opening week, so there is viability there without doubt. I really wish they would put out a record with Just Blaze.

damn, that would be tuff. how much did control system sell? i only say Q is more viable because his music seems easier to crossover. he even gets radio play out on NY radios.
  • yeah i rap so don't
    Options

damn, that would be tuff. how much did control system sell? i only say Q is more viable because his music seems easier to crossover. he even gets radio play out on NY radios.

Numbers don't really matter outside of viability. Control System did 5,300 first week which is bigger than Follow Me Home or Setbacks or Habits And Contradictions.People like to feel like they are apart of a movement. They buy all the albums to support regardless if they actually like the artists. Some people do remain as fans too. He's getting radio play due to A$AP Rocky and that beat is just crazy.
  • t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088
    t_m_a_c_f_a_n73088 Members Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think kendrick is clearly the best and jay rock is clearly the worst. Ab is better than Q imo but I see how people could say otherwise since they both go hard. Either way they're making the best music in the game right now. When they rap together the ? is just even better because they all shine despite the fact they all have different styles.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They had a feature on NPR radio yesterday. Shocked the hell outta me.

Jay Rock is cool when he's not on that Blood tip. Kendrick has an early Lupe Fiasco aura about himself. Top 10 potential.
  • SlickestR
    SlickestR Members Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    was Jay Rock suppose to be the fore front? he's been out longer than the rest of these guys...

Seems like a decent group... Like just one of those groups with no lead man, they just do dope ? collectively

and as individuals... we just gotta wait and see what happens
  • andre_1024
    andre_1024 Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yea it's kinda interesting to see how Jay Rock has become the weakest member (between him and Q imo) in Black Hippy, especially since he was the main guy out the gate and was really buzzin back in 08 or so..he's still dope tho and Follow Me Home was a very solid debut..
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Still haven't heard Jay Rock's album but the singles he dropped for it were hard. All the other albums was fire tho. I ? wit these ? heavy

Kendrick = Ab-Soul >>>Schoolboy > Jay Rock

Black Hippy >>>>>>>>>> Slaughterhouse no question

• StillFaggyAF
    Options

Numbers don't really matter outside of viability. Control System did 5,300 first week which is bigger than Follow Me Home or Setbacks or Habits And Contradictions.People like to feel like they are apart of a movement. They buy all the albums to support regardless if they actually like the artists. Some people do remain as fans too. He's getting radio play due to A$AP Rocky and that beat is just crazy.

true, true and true.
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They got a strong team.School Boy Q is hard to peg.he's like gangster/alternative
  • StillFaggyAF
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »
    They got a strong team.School Boy Q is hard to peg.he's like gangster/alternative

I feel like Q could do well on some trap beats
  • moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm a fan of these guys. I'm gonna spend money on their ? .
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    I hope they get huge. Kendrick my fav from the group and they been playing The Recipe out here damn near all the time.
  • GeE-757
    GeE-757 Members Posts: 6,441
    Options
    da only 1z i support is kendrick & jay rock ? everybody else...lol
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GeE-757 wrote: »
    da only 1z i support is kendrick & jay rock ? everybody else...lol
    you only like kendrick because he's on EUROMATH
  • yeah i rap so don't
    Options

Jay Rock is cool when he's not on that Blood tip. Kendrick has an early Lupe Fiasco aura about himself. Top 10 potential.

Never seen Jay Rock really push that while doing interviews, you wouldn't know that.

SlickestR wrote: »
    was Jay Rock suppose to be the fore front? he's been out longer than the rest of these guys...

Seems like a decent group... Like just one of those groups with no lead man, they just do dope ? collectively

The first artist when Dude Dawg decided to form TDE and he had a major record deal right away. Black Hippy did not become an official group until Q got there years later.

• DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Never seen Jay Rock really push that while doing interviews, you wouldn't know that.

The first artist when Dude Dawg decided to form TDE and he had a major record deal right away. Black Hippy did not become an official group until Q got there years later.

So Q was the last one there? For some reason I thought soul was the last lol
  • yeah i rap so don't
    edited June 2012
    Options

So Q was the last one there? For some reason I thought soul was the last lol

Why would you think that? Soul and Kendrick helped Schoolboy when he came in. Ab went to high school with Dude Dawg's son, just like I did. I actually went to middle school with Dude Dawg's son and his baby mama was close friends with Alori Joh (RIP), they actually grew up together.That did not put him on though, him knowing Sounwave got him in the door. He was the guy at Street Beat and was affiliated with Top Dawg. I remember when he told me he left Street Beat and was going to be in Top Dawg.They were pushing Jay Rock heavy at the time and K Dot was getting attention too. They had another rapper named BO, so Ab was the 4th guy. BO either left or got kicked out the camp (not sure, never asked) and Ab became a more prominent member. This was around No Sleep Til NYC. You listen to it , there is Jay Rock and K Dot. It was their mixtape and Ab-Soul,BO, and Punch had features. After that dropped BO was no longer around and was with Lil Scrappy actually.Schoolboy Q came around after all of that bro.

When this came out, I thought it was the end for BO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61GpQ2XaN2w
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honestly I am loving what they are all doing very glad the west has a cohesive force grinding...
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    woops double post was clearing drafts...