Melle Mel is top 3 for sure. A lot will say #1
  • d.green
    d.green Members Posts: 12,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Message is the GOAT rap song
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is Moe Dee's opinion and it is respectable, especially when you consider when the book was written (2003), and the era he grew up in.

Do people expect Eminem's name to appear on and at the top of every damn "top emcee" list?

Even at the sake of writers and magazines omitting the impact others have made, just to appease Em, his fanbase, and those affiliated with him?

• evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First of all...? his opinion, this ? gave us the criteria and he contradicted himself EARLY!!!

If I heard someone with this in real life I wouldhave told them to shut the ? up as soon as he listed number 50-47...? ? .

List is putrid and dumb and irrelevant. Biggie had 2 albums and he gone disqualify em and DMx who were the hottest out alongside Jay and Nelly in 03.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    killacham if you don't quit wacking my post
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    d.green wrote: »

you'd have to explain that one for me. I'm a bit ignorant though I generally know who Melle Mel is. And what criteria are you basing this from?

In my eyes, in terms of success, lyricism, influence, etc, Jay Z is the greatest of all time. And that's with no bias, Jay isn't even in my top 10 favorites rappers of all time.

I respect the hell out of Kool Moe Dee. I think that he gave birth to modern rap. Everyone from Rakim to Big Daddy Kane are his children. So that even makes jay and nas his grandchildren. But this list is either outdated or just wrong for most of the reasons that have already been brought up. And I sense an old school bias also.
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    lol at them of the top ten being old school ? with that ''yes yes yall'' ? , ? outta here with that rudamentary lyrics and flow ? .

dis is still funny lmao
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GZus wrote: »
    waterproof wrote: »
    lmao man dis is a straight up old ? list rofl @ the top 10. Kool Moe Dee shouldnt be ahead of Chuck D, Nas, Jay-Z, or 2pac IMO its his opinion tho no matter how outrageous is looks

KOOL MOE DEE IS TOP 10 in hip-hop

Calm down

Moe Dee will crush Jay-Z in a battle

? GET YO ASS ALL THE WAY THE ? OUTTA HERE WITH THAT ?

? Moe Dee will crush Jay-Z in a battle, where in the ? you think Nas got the art of battling from, Nas took Kool Moe Dee blueprint of studying emcee's and using the scientific approach and using mental, emotional elements about the other artist to crush the other emcee and take them out their game with high technology verbals

KOOL MOE Dee is one of the most scientific verbal emcee in hip-hop history, lol. Jay-z would of got crushed in a battle on stage or on wax against Jay-Z

Are you high? Nas may have got that whole trash talk form of battling from Moe Dee but that's moot since I personally think Jay won that beef

And you can't accredit anything else from Nas other than Ether's style of battling to Moe Dee. Nas is obviously influenced by Rakim and Jay is obviously influenced by Kane

Who the ? did Moe Dee influence besides your crusty ass?

and LL ? on that ? life

Crusty really
    You weak ass chump shut the ? up with your emotional ass, ur weak homie and ? like. Whats the ? u crying for ? . If u cant debate with out feeling like a ? than shut the ? up.
    Now pay attention I can accredit Nas rhyme style to Moe Dee not just ether rhyme style,Rakim and Nas rhyme style came from moe dee. And Moe dee crushed Cool J on stage and wax, learn how cool j was running shook all over NY from Moe Dee. And jay-z aint a battle emcee he will get rocked
  • $ineedmoney$
    $ineedmoney$ Members Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After reading Kool Moe Dee's list on the first page he phucked up bad. There's emcees on his list that only dropped 1 solo album some of them only 2. No disrespect to Moe Dee but FOH with that half assed list.
  • High Revolutionary
    High Revolutionary Members Posts: 3,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2012
    Options
    I may not all the way agree with his list but I definitely respect his opinion. Kool is a legend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxyYP_bS_6s

"I never ever ran from the Ku Klux ? and I shouldn't have to run from a black man."
  • soulbrother
    soulbrother Members Posts: 2,897 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Scarface is top 5 easily and Foxy brown didn't write her first album so she should have been eliminated..
  • waterproof
    Options
    Kwan Dai wrote: »
    lmao man dis is a straight up old ? list rofl @ the top 10. Kool Moe Dee shouldnt be ahead of Chuck D, Nas, Jay-Z, or 2pac IMO its his opinion tho no matter how outrageous is looks

Calm down

? Moe Dee will crush Jay-Z in a battle, where in the ? you think Nas got the art of battling from, Nas took Kool Moe Dee blueprint of studying emcee's and using the scientific approach and using mental, emotional elements about the other artist to crush the other emcee and take them out their game with high technology verbals

KOOL MOE Dee is one of the most scientific verbal emcee in hip-hop history, lol. Jay-z would of got crushed in a battle on stage or on wax against Jay-Z

Are you high? Nas may have got that whole trash talk form of battling from Moe Dee but that's moot since I personally think Jay won that beef

And you can't accredit anything else from Nas other than Ether's style of battling to Moe Dee. Nas is obviously influenced by Rakim and Jay is obviously influenced by Kane

and LL ? on that ? life

Moe Dee influenced LL thus the reason for their battle. Moe Dee felt LL stole his style. Moe Dee also influenced Rakim and Kane. Moe Dee, Melle Mel, and Spoonie G were the Holy Trinity of MC's that the Second generation of MC's grew up on.
    Kwan Dai wrote: »

Calm down

and LL ? on that ? life

Moe Dee influenced LL thus the reason for their battle. Moe Dee felt LL stole his style. Moe Dee also influenced Rakim and Kane. Moe Dee, Melle Mel, and Spoonie G were the Holy Trinity of MC's that the Second generation of MC's grew up on.

Word up LL Cool J took Run, T La Rock and Moe Dee style and ran with it and Not only Moe Dee didn't like that ? but Rev Run didn't take that ? lightly.

To me the holy trinity is Melle Mel, Caz and Moe Dee

• waterproof
    Options
    Plutarch wrote: »
    d.green wrote: »

you'd have to explain that one for me. I'm a bit ignorant though I generally know who Melle Mel is. And what criteria are you basing this from?

In my eyes, in terms of success, lyricism, influence, etc, Jay Z is the greatest of all time. And that's with no bias, Jay isn't even in my top 10 favorites rappers of all time.

I respect the hell out of Kool Moe Dee. I think that he gave birth to modern rap. Everyone from Rakim to Big Daddy Kane are his children. So that even makes jay and nas his grandchildren. But this list is either outdated or just wrong for most of the reasons that have already been brought up. And I sense an old school bias also.

Kool Moe Dee birthed Rakim and Nas as the scientific cerebral emcee

Grandmaster Caz birthed Big Daddy Kane and Jay-z as lyrically slick rhyme animal cocky emcee

Melle Mel birthed Krs-1 and Biggie Smalls as the poetical rhyme style street and conscious emcee
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DAM NO ANDRE3000... HAHAHA OK
  • Trillaaaaaa
    Trillaaaaaa Members Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Calm down

and LL ? on that ? life

Crusty really
    You weak ass chump shut the ? up with your emotional ass, ur weak homie and ? like. Whats the ? u crying for ? . If u cant debate with out feeling like a ? than shut the ? up.
    Now pay attention I can accredit Nas rhyme style to Moe Dee not just ether rhyme style,Rakim and Nas rhyme style came from moe dee. And Moe dee crushed Cool J on stage and wax, learn how cool j was running shook all over NY from Moe Dee. And jay-z aint a battle emcee he will get rocked

Eat a ? ?

EAT A ? !!!
  • HailBlackMary
    HailBlackMary Members Posts: 93
    Options
    There are definately people on the list that shouldnt be and the order is way off imo, but the list isn't by myso many other standard or anyone elses but Kool Moe Dee's. I have been so against ranking rappers for years and this list and many others I've seen just prove how faulty and pointless they are. Music is too subjective, it isn't like sports where you can more objectively rank by scoring.But even then there are other variables to consider. Atleast this was done by a pioneer in the artform unlike some lists done by white nerds who didn't ? with rap until Eminem and therefore base ranking on sales and who is currently hot because they have no real knowledge respect for history. I respect him for leaving Em off the list because no one else would've dared for the sake of political correctness, glad to see someone not kissing the white boy's ass to appease white people. Someone said the sons surpassed the father, that is as it should be, but to discount the founding fathers is ignorant. But for Henry Ford inventing the car there'd be no Limborginis, without the Wright Bros inventing the airplane there'd be no jets. Who you think Jay Z, Nas etc grew u listening to and influencing their style, these same old heads some are dismissing. Btw Jay Z is like 45, KMD is almost 50.
  • Ms. Sweeetface
    Ms. Sweeetface Members Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The book is old.
    Y'all should read the book on how he summaries and scores each rapper from the order its listed.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its close to 10 yrs old...though knowing Moe Dee arrogance I doubt much of the order would change if he were to update the list.
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another list that got Jay Z ranked way too high
  • moedays
    moedays Members Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are definately people on the list that shouldnt be and the order is way off imo, but the list isn't by myso many other standard or anyone elses but Kool Moe Dee's. I have been so against ranking rappers for years and this list and many others I've seen just prove how faulty and pointless they are. Music is too subjective, it isn't like sports where you can more objectively rank by scoring.But even then there are other variables to consider. Atleast this was done by a pioneer in the artform unlike some lists done by white nerds who didn't ? with rap until Eminem and therefore base ranking on sales and who is currently hot because they have no real knowledge respect for history. I respect him for leaving Em off the list because no one else would've dared for the sake of political correctness, glad to see someone not kissing the white boy's ass to appease white people. Someone said the sons surpassed the father, that is as it should be, but to discount the founding fathers is ignorant. But for Henry Ford inventing the car there'd be no Limborginis, without the Wright Bros inventing the airplane there'd be no jets. Who you think Jay Z, Nas etc grew u listening to and influencing their style, these same old heads some are dismissing. Btw Jay Z is like 45, KMD is almost 50.

Unfortunately, you can't sway these ignorant fools with logic.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mystical and craig mack?

and loads of the list got a much smaller body of work then em and dmx

cant complain about someones choices though, people like what they like
  • coolc31
    coolc31 Members Posts: 517 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I've been listening to hip hop for quite some time (early 80s) and I have to agree that this list is bs in my eyes, but it's his opinion so I can't knock it. I've never viewed Moe Dee as that dude, but I do acknowledge the fact he can spit. I know he was big in NY where hip hop was birthed so a lot of cats will give him his props for that. He did have some hits & he was a big part of hip hop developing a more complex style, but you also have to understand after 89/90 he really wasn't making any noise when the other rappers were becoming recognized. He definitely has his place in hip hop history & if you want to view him as part of the "holy trinity" I can understand that, but you must also understand he's remembered more for his battle (or diss songs) with LL than he is for ushering in a new style of rap (outside of NY anyway). True, if you've been following hip hop for a minute, you should know what he brought to the game, but how many people do you really believe that were introduced to hip hop after 95/96 are going to research a rapper who is more well-known for his work from the late 70s/early 80s? I know people like to say if you're really into hip hop you should know this dude or that dude, but let's be honest, unless you're around someone who listens to that old ? , you most likely won't hear it unless you're trying to be a part of hip hop (DJ, rapper, promoter, etc) & even then, some still won't take the time to learn the history. The era of hip hop I love started after Krush Groove & Beat Street. I knew of the other cats, but I just didn't feel them like that. I loved the movies, but Kane, BDP, Rakim & Kool G. Rap are the ones who made me love hip hop.
  • moedays
    Options
    but Kane, BDP, Rakim & Kool G. Rap are the ones who made me love hip hop.

C/S this statement. I would add PE and X-Clan to those 3.
  • moedays
    Options
    I think after #15, he just said the hell with it. How is Mack 10 top 50.
  • texasdaking88
    texasdaking88 Members Posts: 6,139 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dead@ Kool Moe Dee being #5