yes america......your kids are dumb....i went back to 8th grade today

Options

Comments

• Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this 'merica ? our politicians dont give a ? bout education... the in thing right now is making sure they get elected and that anyone accused of being a bully is burned at a stake....i mean lets be serious what do u care more about..politicians,teachers, and administrators making sure you're child gets smarter and is being properly taught or them makin sure every kid is nice to every kid and doesnt say anything that can be mean.......if u chose teaching ur a ? and need to watch the news and learn that bullying is like 100x worse then aids and ? is everywhere
  • rockets
    rockets Members Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    Options
    kai_valya wrote: »
    @ATTS, somethings they do in canada that works:

-education has to be a priority in every way, including how much money you spend on it.

-require rigorous training for teachers

-have a standardized curriculum, meaning every grade level is being taught the same things

-schools should get their funding based on how many children attend the school, not from property taxes and stuff. therefore a school isn't horrible if it's in a low tax neighbourhood

i am not an expert in this field, but these are some things i've observed

YOU ARE WRONG! School systems in poorer districts are not only funded by propery taxes, but by the government. They are called ABBOTT districts in this state (NJ) and many others. They were created to "balance the flow of money to all districts." Alot of pourer district get TWICE the money per student than the richer ones. Money has nothing to do with Jamal failing all his classes. Neither does the hard working teacher, Mrs. Smith. Schools suck because parents suck. End of story. Not going to be fixed no matter how much money you pour into it. These parents teach there children nothing, feed them garbage, curse at and with them, let them run the streets on a school night, don't take advantage of the free tutoring and after school programs, etc. Then they want to blame "the system", teachers and not having enough money poured down a ? environment.

• rockets
    Options

-education has to be a priority in every way, including how much money you spend on it.

-have a standardized curriculum, meaning every grade level is being taught the same things

-schools should get their funding based on how many children attend the school, not from property taxes and stuff. therefore a school isn't horrible if it's in a low tax neighbourhood

YES YES YES to the last one. The people in poor neighborhoods are ? when it comes to schools in America. Watch Waitng for Superman. But i guess that's the way it was designed. Like Nas said "would've been ivy league if America played fair."

You believe in too much propoganda. Waiting for Superman was a repub tool to force public school dollars (your tax money) to go to charter schools, which can be and most likely are run by rich business men who have never step foot in a classroom. Di ur homework.
  • rockets
    Options
    ATTS wrote: »

Thanks.....will have to research some of this b/c I also have to compare it to the international system...i aint even think how our neighbour is doing with their educational....I knew the IC would come in handy......

Don't believe this. what kai said is ? . She knows nothing of what she speaks of pertaining to this topic.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J-GUTTA wrote: »
    Not only are the kids dumb a lot of these grown ups are too. You ever see Skits similar to the Jay Leno's Jay Walking those people need to be embarrassed.

"What Year was the War of 1812"....smh @ people sonning themselves...
  • J. Will
    J. Will Members Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Read somewhere that American kids are not as dumb as thos statistics make them out to be and just by taking out like the bottom 10% of poor test results that the America is damn near at the top 10 of all subjects....but as someone said earlier, that ? starts at home, nothing any of us can do ? about it, if the momma dont care about her child's future then why should we
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First of all get rid of no child left behind or whatever its called now, because schools are focused on numbers and nothing else for that funding

2. Increase teachers pay...its peanuts right now

3. Dont punish a teacher because lil ricky is redial but shouldnt be there but is because the schools are pushing them through, if astudent student is failing and a teacher can show it thats not cumbersome that will work.

4. Student need to be able to learn at thier own pace, i know a few well funded are going this route so if a kid is picking it up quicker they can finish the school year faster allowing teachers to focus on those that need it.

5. Increase the length of a school day and 6 days a week or have school year round. Either way american students are in school alot less than the top countries.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We have no one to blame but ourselves. Parents get the blame for not taking a more active, serious & motivational role in their child's education. Teachers get the blame for letting these little bad muffuguhs intimidate them, disrupt the learning process for those that want to learn and overall not caring about their duties as a teacher OR just plain not being qualified to teach. Kids get the blame for being lazy, lacking self motivation, being more concerned w/ popularity than grades, making it "uncool" to achieve scholastically, etc..etc. I would like to send my child to private school once he reaches a certain age because a lot of these public schools are a joke.

"Junior high school dropout, teachers never cared
    They was paid just to show up and leave, no one succeeds" - Nas
  • nex gin
    Options
    MobTown wrote: »
    First of all get rid of no child left behind or whatever its called now, because schools are focused on numbers and nothing else for that funding

3. Dont punish a teacher because lil ricky is redial but shouldnt be there but is because the schools are pushing them through, if astudent student is failing and a teacher can show it thats not cumbersome that will work.

4. Student need to be able to learn at thier own pace, i know a few well funded are going this route so if a kid is picking it up quicker they can finish the school year faster allowing teachers to focus on those that need it.

5. Increase the length of a school day and 6 days a week or have school year round. Either way american students are in school alot less than the top countries.

c/s 2
  • MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »

c/s 2

How are they suppose to pay teachers more and keep schools open all year round when they cut school budgets every year? Then people don't want to raise taxes well how are public schools suppose to pay for all that if the public don't want to support the schools. If you a parent you need to teach your kids or get them a tutor don't expect the system to teach your kids. I wouldn't want my kids to be around a bunch of no home training having muthafuckas anyway.
  • edwardnigma
    edwardnigma Members Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? Mussolini. You are a bit backwards.

You expect a kid who is 12/13 to remember or know who was running Italy in 193whenever vs knowing a bg time

musician millionaire and somebody they play on the radio and the television everyday. ? Please.

• nex gin
    edited August 2012
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »

c/s 2

How are they suppose to pay teachers more and keep schools open all year round when they cut school budgets every year? Then people don't want to raise taxes well how are public schools suppose to pay for all that if the public don't want to support the schools. If you a parent you need to teach your kids or get them a tutor don't expect the system to teach your kids. I wouldn't want my kids to be around a bunch of no home training having muthafuckas anyway.

Agreed....so <<INSERT BLAME SYSTEM 2>>. It makes absolutely no sense to cut school budgets if you actually care about the educational welfare of the kids/students. I was lucky enough to grow up in a household where education was promoted and failure was not an option. I apply the same to my child and household. I've gone to good and bad schools. Lucky enough for me, I never let the people or my surroundings deter me from achieving & seeing the big picture. Personal yet sad experience.......in grade school I lived in not so good areas of town. However, I was right on the outskirts of well to do areas...and zoned for their schools. The school was predominately white. The kids parents were the doctors, lawyers & business owners of the community. They put a lot of emphasis on the quality of their children's education. So from kindergarten to 4th grade I was in an environment that promoted and nurtured the value of getting a good education...as well as having the resources to provide it. In 5th grade we moved to a another not so good part of town & I had to change schools. This school was smack dab in the hood. The stark contrast in the quality of the education was mind numbing.

So why such a big difference? Who is at fault for? Teachers, parents, kids, the system??? All of them IMO. It's easy to say don't expect the system to teach the kids, but it is the teachers jobs to teach the kids. Home schooling may be an option, but it isn't a solution. There are some not-so-bright parents out there too. We get subpar ? because we accept subpar ? . We don't hold our children to acceptable educational standards and we have become complacent w/ a system that doesn't have their best interest in mind. I don't see it getting better anytime soon.
  • brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Pico, I'm just sayin', most young kids listen to the radio and watch music videos... Why would it be unusual for a 4th grader to quote a recent song lyric, but not know anything about an Italian dictator who ruled during World War II?

Because people forget how dumb their peers were when they were kids. An average 8th grader isn't knowing who ? 's Pippen was.

In 15 years those kids will be saying the same thing about 8th graders.
  • Lord Ether
    Lord Ether Members Posts: 736 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The public school system is horrible. I went to catholic school throught elementary and middle school then briefly transfered to public in middle schoo. The public school curriculum is two years behind the catholic. I had the same geometry book in the 7th grade that I had in the 5th at the catholic school.
  • Lurker6
    Lurker6 Members Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i recall readin a comment on another site about school a teacher commented sayin how she they're not allowed to fail a student first semester no matter if they dont even really come to class.....they have to give them atleast a D.....and it doesnt help with all these ? psychological studies where everything is a damn disorder or has some dramatic consequence like no longer grading papers with red pens cuz thats can hurt kids confidence or some ? ...gotta use purple now..
  • CottonCitySlim
    CottonCitySlim Members Posts: 7,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    To fund teachers the federal gov gonna have to pick up the slack...money wasted on useless ? ...move that to where its needed
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @cabana_da_don On one of his comedy specials
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    too many women teachers and ? parents...
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    Private schools FTW
    or
    Home school

i get to do that in the 10th and 11th grades......then back to 12th grade public school.....it will be interesting to see the difference.....
    what really ? me off is that kid in the 4th grade didnt know the mulitplication table....4 times 4 is 8 he said.....I was like WTF?!?

There will be a difference...I went to private school from K-10th grade than public school for 11th and 12th...the difference in how easy public school was compared to private school was crazy...but I can honestly say I had guidance counselors in public school actually discouraging me from applying to schools despite the fact I had a 4.0 all of 11th grade and finished with a 3.75 when i graduated. I literally had one teacher tell me I should go into the trade program because despite my gpa i'd never get enough scholarship money to pay for college if I applied...? 's crazy how no ? are given in public schools especially towards young males
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    my brother and his wife both work in the DCPS..both of their kids go to private school
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    it's no surprise since america is behind countries like mexico and estonia when it comes to education. how the hell are kids in practically a 3rd world country smarter than kids in "the greatest country in the world" smh.

what i need now is how do we fix it? Give me ideas for a solution............. i really could STOP going after the 9th grade b/c I have seen enough of to get a synopsis but the teachers have to sign off on it that i visited...smh

For one it starts in the kitchen, you cant feed your children pop tarts for breakfast and a bologna sandwich for lunch with cookies and potato chips for a snack only to wash it down with some soda pop and expect this kid to be able to concentrate, on top of all that you let your kids come home and play video games for hours on a 60 inch big screen, or there watching some other ? on television all day, its poison, I blame the parents, but the schools can put forth an effort by supplying healthier school lunches, stricter policies, more after school programs, longer phys ed classes, etc...

• rockets
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Private schools FTW
    or
    Home school

i get to do that in the 10th and 11th grades......then back to 12th grade public school.....it will be interesting to see the difference.....
    what really ? me off is that kid in the 4th grade didnt know the mulitplication table....4 times 4 is 8 he said.....I was like WTF?!?

There will be a difference...I went to private school from K-10th grade than public school for 11th and 12th...the difference in how easy public school was compared to private school was crazy...but I can honestly say I had guidance counselors in public school actually discouraging me from applying to schools despite the fact I had a 4.0 all of 11th grade and finished with a 3.75 when i graduated. I literally had one teacher tell me I should go into the trade program because despite my gpa i'd never get enough scholarship money to pay for college if I applied...? 's crazy how no ? are given in public schools especially towards young males

There is really no difference between public and private school. Take a bad kid and put him in private school and he will still be a bad kid. The school just has the option to kick him out. i public school does not. That is why they are so bad. Tending the students that disrupt the class and don't want to be there takes a lot of time away from others who want to learn. There are drug dealers, gangbangers and pregnant teens in private schools, therefore they can't and ARE NOT all that good.

• rockets
    Options
    A lot of you on this board as well as the general american public knows nothing about what it takes to run a successful school. just casue you sat in a classroom don't mean you know anything about what it takes to be a good teacher, principal or superintendent. I flew in a plane before, does that mean I can fly it? I used an Apple Ipod before, does that mean i can be the CEO of Apple?

Morons.
  • God-I_Am_Ether
    God-I_Am_Ether Members Posts: 3,409
    Options
    It's really not the education system. It's the reproduction system. To many young ? people are reproducing and sending their dumdass kids to school with the kids produced by smart sensible people.

• #1 pick
    #1 pick Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J. Will wrote: »
    Read somewhere that American kids are not as dumb as thos statistics make them out to be and just by taking out like the bottom 10% of poor test results that the America is damn near at the top 10 of all subjects....but as someone said earlier, that ? starts at home, nothing any of us can do ? about it, if the momma dont care about her child's future then why should we

You can do that to everyone though. It wouldn't be overall then.