Characters you have taking at least 3 out of 10 against Thanos in a fight

Options

Comments

• evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Apocalypse sucks! I'm not taking it back . He is a ? . Yes I read comics. Apocalypse ran up on hulk after the x-men worked his ass out! It wasn't no straight up fight. Apocalypse is the weakest powerful character there is! Hulk wins
  • Doctopian
    Doctopian Members Posts: 305 ✭✭✭
    Options

I'd just like to clarify that "fed" for Galactus usually only means he's at average power. He's only actually been at full power a few times in his history, and in almost every case he was specified to be at that level.

That said, us arguing about the Galactus/Odin fight is pretty silly when you think about it. I think we can all agree that given the combatants it was a pretty dumb battle. Both of them are galaxy busters, so the fight culminating in a big headbutt was the definition of anticlimactic.

Indeed.
    jaxn wrote: »
    well Thanos can beat the Avengers without powerups, which i assume you mean by his regular form...hell he was laughing while manhandling Thing and the Hulk and this was before he received his power up by Death.

His manhandling of Thing and Merged Hulk occurred during the Infinity War, which was definitely after Thanos' resurrection and power up in Silver Surfer vol. 3 #34. It is worth mentioning that Thanos was able to one-shot Thing pre power up, and was able to fight Thing and Thor at the same time in Marvel Two-in-One #2. Thing and Thor got the better of Thanos physically, but he was able to knock them out with his eye blasts.
    Surfer has a history of beating the Hulk since their first encounter..hell, he offered to cure him before..when the Hulk and Banner were seperated, Surfer began to drain the Hulk and it was killing him..the Hulk has stomped on the Surfer's head to no affect..their last meeting on Planet Skaar was nice too..while being controlled by a power disc, the Surfer was able to beat up on the Hulk and his crew simultaneously, without using the power cosmic..just straight hth...once the disc was removed, the Hulk got the upper hand as the Surfer was thanking him...yeah he pretty much has the Hulk's number.

True, Hulk, Thor, and Surfer have historically had a rock/paper/scissors type of relationship, but the status quo seems to be changing as of late. Even in the Planet Hulk fight, Surfer had more time to recover from the wormhole/portal than Hulk, and Hulk displayed a greater ability to resist the control disks than Surfer. It has also been shown that many of the tricks that Surfer used on Hulk in the past haven't been consistently effective against the Gravage/Green Scar Incarnation as of late. I have to question just how effective the Surfer would be against the Hulk since he received his push. Also, the Post-Onslaught Saga Bannerless Hulk that Surfer fought was dying at the time.
    nawledge_? wrote: »
    Hulk would win 7 out of 10

Apoc Has Already Whupped His Green Ass...Even Made Him His Horsemen...Do You Even Read Comics Cause Your Spreading Alot Of Misinformation?

You exaggerate. Apocalypse put Hulk in a choke hold and released it upon Hulk's request. Apocalypse offered to remove the shrapnel from Hulk's brain and free him from the ghost of his father, and the Hulk accepted. It is also worth mentioning that Apocalypse encountered the same Bannerless Hulk that the Surfer did.
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Doctopian wrote: »

I'd just like to clarify that "fed" for Galactus usually only means he's at average power. He's only actually been at full power a few times in his history, and in almost every case he was specified to be at that level.

That said, us arguing about the Galactus/Odin fight is pretty silly when you think about it. I think we can all agree that given the combatants it was a pretty dumb battle. Both of them are galaxy busters, so the fight culminating in a big headbutt was the definition of anticlimactic.

Indeed.
    well Thanos can beat the Avengers without powerups, which i assume you mean by his regular form...hell he was laughing while manhandling Thing and the Hulk and this was before he received his power up by Death.

His manhandling of Thing and Merged Hulk occurred during the Infinity War, which was definitely after Thanos' resurrection and power up in Silver Surfer vol. 3 #34. It is worth mentioning that Thanos was able to one-shot Thing pre power up, and was able to fight Thing and Thor at the same time in Marvel Two-in-One #2. Thing and Thor got the better of Thanos physically, but he was able to knock them out with his eye blasts.
    Surfer has a history of beating the Hulk since their first encounter..hell, he offered to cure him before..when the Hulk and Banner were seperated, Surfer began to drain the Hulk and it was killing him..the Hulk has stomped on the Surfer's head to no affect..their last meeting on Planet Skaar was nice too..while being controlled by a power disc, the Surfer was able to beat up on the Hulk and his crew simultaneously, without using the power cosmic..just straight hth...once the disc was removed, the Hulk got the upper hand as the Surfer was thanking him...yeah he pretty much has the Hulk's number.

True, Hulk, Thor, and Surfer have historically had a rock/paper/scissors type of relationship, but the status quo seems to be changing as of late. Even in the Planet Hulk fight, Surfer had more time to recover from the wormhole/portal than Hulk, and Hulk displayed a greater ability to resist the control disks than Surfer. It has also been shown that many of the tricks that Surfer used on Hulk in the past haven't been consistently effective against the Gravage/Green Scar Incarnation as of late. I have to question just how effective the Surfer would be against the Hulk since he received his push. Also, the Post-Onslaught Saga Bannerless Hulk that Surfer fought was dying at the time.
    nawledge_? wrote: »
    Hulk would win 7 out of 10

Apoc Has Already Whupped His Green Ass...Even Made Him His Horsemen...Do You Even Read Comics Cause Your Spreading Alot Of Misinformation?

You exaggerate. Apocalypse put Hulk in a choke hold and released it upon Hulk's request. Apocalypse offered to remove the shrapnel from Hulk's brain and free him from the ghost of his father, and the Hulk accepted. It is also worth mentioning that Apocalypse encountered the same Bannerless Hulk that the Surfer did.

The only thing about the THor, Surfer, Hulk thing is that Thor has been stated to be always holding back and is basically Hulk's kryptonite. He has actually handled Hulk physically before, no hammer, and could possibly still do it. Also Surfer loses cause he doesn't go all out against Thor or anyone really. Recently, he bitchsmacked Beta Ray Bill(Thor's equal) in like 3 hits, all physical, so it's ll circumstance.

And Hulk can and never will ? with Thanos.
  • Doctopian
    edited August 2012
    Options
    DarkRaiden wrote: »

The only thing about the THor, Surfer, Hulk thing is that Thor has been stated to be always holding back and is basically Hulk's kryptonite. He has actually handled Hulk physically before, no hammer, and could possibly still do it. Also Surfer loses cause he doesn't go all out against Thor or anyone really. Recently, he bitchsmacked Beta Ray Bill(Thor's equal) in like 3 hits, all physical, so it's ll circumstance.

Surfer has always come off as Hulk's kryptonite more so than Thor, and when has Thor ever handled Hulk sans Mjolnir? The only time I can recall Classic Thor fighting Hulk without Mjolnir resulted in Thor being smacked around and marveling at Hulk's strength.

Thor's relationship to Beta Ray Bill is similar to Superman's to Captain Marvel; they are equals when battling each other, but Thor/Superman look more impressive in every appearance outside of those. The fact remains that Surfer has never beaten Thor in a fight, and every time they fight, Thor comes off looking at least equal to Surfer.

Thanos himself has admitted that he is wary of a prolonged fight with the Hulk (Thanos Quest #1). Don't get me wrong, Thanos crushes Hulk 9.5 times out of 10, but there are certain instances where I couldn't see Thanos beating Hulk straight up. When it's all said and done, Thanos power level, albeit very high, is ultimately static, while the Hulk's is dynamic with no known limit.

• evoljeanyes
    Options
    Yo @doctopian @darkraiden and @jaxn are easily some of the best posters and comic book cats in QC....respect

here is my point, you can't do the a beat the ? out of b and c beat a so b can't beat c thing with comics.

Thor Surfer and Hulk are a wash! Easy they are marvels three most powerful top tier heroes. But in my mind its about match ups. Against Thanos or gal or someone where physical altercation won't do it Thor is better suited than hulk (neither would win)

But in pure barbaric brawls hawk has a chance against anyone and though he may have been mopped before he won't always get mopped because of his strength.
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    Nice analogy on the beta ray and captain marvel thing @doctopian.
  • Doctopian
    Options
    @evoljeanyes

Thanks and Respect.

I genuinely like the small group that we have here. Problem is, many of us agree on so many things, that I find myself disagreeing on the smaller points other posters make just to keep things interesting. @jaxn (who I recognize from Superhero Chat) and I tend to agree on almost everything.
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    @doctopian I have a different perspective than most because I try to consider everything. I don't get caught in the internet hype and the made up scenarios that never happened!

Odin is my favorite character in comics ever. He stands a chance against anyone. And never seems to be in full exertion!

Thor Hulk Wolverine Black Bolt and Sentry are my favorite mainstreamers.

I enjoy the discussion. I don't get too rowdy. I nitpick at things like "A would smash B" just because its hyperbolic at times.

Glad to be in the loop fellas. Hope to continue the talks.
  • SunflowaSeeds
    SunflowaSeeds Members Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanos ever have been with any of the X-Men related teams?
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Indeed.

thanks!!
    agreed, nowadays Surfer and Hulk may go quite differently and I had forgotten that Hulk was dying regardless..wasn't it something like his body was used as a nexus point for the two universes?

• jaxn
    Options
    Yo @doctopian @darkraiden and @jaxn are easily some of the best posters and comic book cats in QC....respect
    thanks!
    here is my point, you can't do the a beat the ? out of b and c beat a so b can't beat c thing with comics.
    I agree, abc logic doesn't necessarily work in comic fights

• jaxn
    Options
    @evoljeanyes

Thanks and Respect.

I genuinely like the small group that we have here. Problem is, many of us agree on so many things, that I find myself disagreeing on the smaller points other posters make just to keep things interesting. @jaxn (who I recognize from Superhero Chat) and I tend to agree on almost everything.

i'm with you on trying to keep a discussion going Doctopian..just to keep things interesting in this forum, but what was your handle on SHC?
  • jaxn
    Options
    @doctopian I have a different perspective than most because I try to consider everything. I don't get caught in the internet hype and the made up scenarios that never happened!

Odin is my favorite character in comics ever. He stands a chance against anyone. And never seems to be in full exertion!

Thor Hulk Wolverine Black Bolt and Sentry are my favorite mainstreamers.

I enjoy the discussion. I don't get too rowdy. I nitpick at things like "A would smash B" just because its hyperbolic at times.

Glad to be in the loop fellas. Hope to continue the talks.
    its always fun to talk about comics, whether folks agree or disagree on a topic
  • jaxn
    Options

you know, i'm not really sure about this one..i can't really think of any instances when the Xmen got involved, other than the Infinity Gauntlet..Thanos doesn't really operate on Earth that often
  • SunflowaSeeds
    Options
    Word. So who are his main rivals or whatever?
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Avengers
    Guardians of The Galaxy
    Infinity Watch
  • jaxn
    Options

he doesn't really have any rivals, except for maybe Drax , who was designed to defeat him, and Adam Warlock...he had an obsession to be with Death so he would do things to gain her favor..he's a conquest kind of guy..he'll do things just for the hell of it and whoever gets in his way, he'll just deal with them..Later on, he chose to do things other than universal conquest and kind of became an anti-hero for a minute there.
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    @sunflowaseeds to piggy back off of @jaxn Adam Warlock to me is the otherside of the coin for Thanos. Thanos is more brutish, Warlock is more skilled. Thanos kind of just does what he wants, Warlock is extremely focused. I think the best indication of this is the time each spent with the infinity gem. Warlock is also someone who can defeat Thanos. Warlock is the one of my favorites. Very versatile.
  • Doctopian
    Options
    agreed, nowadays Surfer and Hulk may go quite differently and I had forgotten that Hulk was dying regardless..wasn't it something like his body was used as a nexus point for the two universes?

Right. Hulk cracked Onslaught's armor and the subsequent explosion separated the Hulk from Banner. Banner sacrificed himself with the non-mutant heroes to contain Onslaught's energy form, thus trapping him in Franklin Richard's Heroes Reborn Universe. As a result, both the Hulk and Banner were nexus beings who were infused with extra energy by being the link between the two universes, but their separation was killing the both of them at the same time. If I recall correctly, Hulk couldn't willfully manipulate the energy to power himself up, though. When Apocalypse turned him into War, the Celestial tech he put in Hulk's body allowed him to harness the power which resulted in him being strong enough to stop the Juggernaut and smack him around.

Due to Starlin's retcons, Thanos himself has never clashed with the X-Men exclusively, but a powered up Thanos clone did have a run-in with X-Man and the Hulk and fought Ka-Zar in the Savage Land.
    i'm with you on trying to keep a discussion going Doctopian..just to keep things interesting in this forum, but what was your handle on SHC?

Due to them allowing you to change your username, I've had a couple of different handles over there. Doctopian, Doc Holiday, En Sabah Nur, and a few others, but I don't post there as much as I used to due to the crop of new posters.

Due to being more of a Marvel Universe villain, he isn't usually linked to any single hero, but if I were forced to link him to anyone, it would be Drax the Destroyer and Adam Warlock. Drax has acted as more of a physical rival/annoyance, created by Thanos' grandfather, Kronos to ? him. Warlock has always been more of an intellectual rival who has worked with Thanos just as many times as he has worked against him. You could also throw Captain Mar-vell in there, due to them butting heads in a few key arcs (Cosmic Cube, Pre-IG Soul Gems), and the key role that Thanos played in the Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel.
  • SunflowaSeeds
    Options
    That was thorough as hell, thanks yo.
  • DrMindbender122
    DrMindbender122 Members Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Word. That Death of Captain Marvel graphic novel is one of Marvel's best ever.
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Options
    DarkRaiden wrote: »

Surfer has always come off as Hulk's kryptonite more so than Thor, and when has Thor ever handled Hulk sans Mjolnir? The only time I can recall Classic Thor fighting Hulk without Mjolnir resulted in Thor being smacked around and marveling at Hulk's strength.

Thor's relationship to Beta Ray Bill is similar to Superman's to Captain Marvel; they are equals when battling each other, but Thor/Superman look more impressive in every appearance outside of those. The fact remains that Surfer has never beaten Thor in a fight, and every time they fight, Thor comes off looking at least equal to Surfer.

Thanos himself has admitted that he is wary of a prolonged fight with the Hulk (Thanos Quest #1). Don't get me wrong, Thanos crushes Hulk 9.5 times out of 10, but there are certain instances where I couldn't see Thanos beating Hulk straight up. When it's all said and done, Thanos power level, albeit very high, is ultimately static, while the Hulk's is dynamic with no known limit.

Surfer is beyond Hulk's kryptonite, but Thor is the one they turn to when they want someone to beat Hulk. I've literally seen Thor manhandle Hulk w/o his hammer so w/e. And as far as Beta Ray vs. Thor goes, right before Surfer KO'd him, he was hitting dudes through planets and ? . And he actually has higher feats and showings of power than Thor if you look at it.

And regardless, as far as power goes, Surfer only loses to Thor because he doesn't use his powers like cosmic awareness, making black holes, the astral plane, time travel, etc. to win. Same reason Thor loses to Hulk, he doesn't use his planet busting lightning powers, or magic he inherently has, or FTL flight, or ? Blast or anything like it.

The proper hierarchy is Surfer>>Thor>>>>>>Hulk.

What happens in comics alot is PIS. Like Spiderman or C. America beating Hulk or Punisher beating Spiderman, etc.
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    I hate how many powers they gave surfer its stupid. He rarely uses them. If he didn't no one could ? with him. But he doesn't. That black hole ? is bogus. Time travel is bogus. They come to blows mjornin is the winner. That's how comics work. Thor is a ? damn warrior. Surfer isn't faster stronger nor does he have more efficient attacks.
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    Thor beat surfer with the combination of surfers power and loki's...surfer can't win...Thor had hungry ass gal on skates. Stop sleeping on the Viking ? !
  • evoljeanyes
    Options
    Mjornin is unfuckwitable!