State your unpopular opinions about hip hop

Options

Comments

• isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It doesn't matter if a rapper really live what he talking about as long as he make good music

Agreed. Prodigy is and was a ? , but he's G.O.A.T. candidate, tho.
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    the bay does have a few good artists (the jacka, j.stalin, messy marv, j diggs, zion I)
  • youngc12
    youngc12 Members Posts: 89
    edited April 2010
    Options
    - no one seems to give ball & G any respect or mentioning...or 3 6 mafia
    - camp lo's "uptown saturday night" criminally slept on
    - when bow wow 1st debuted in 2000....? was feelin "bounce wit me"...dont lie
    - missy elloitt has SOME of timbos best beats he's made
    - pastor troy is DAT ? .
    - ray cash's debut was slept on.
    - ruff ryders vol.2 was better than vol. 1(aside from X's track at the end and "down bottom")
    - joe budden could've been more successful....if he wasnt on def jam originally....
    - talib, mos def and common could have made a classic album had they actually recorded 1 together...but it wouldnt have been close 2 platinum(see the song "respiration")
    - twista has a poor choice in singles but a pretty good sense of choosin' beats.
    - willie da kid had a solid debut(watch...some ? is finna b like "who?")
    - young buck had the best sophomore album on g-unit. "buck the world"
    - lil wayne's 2nd best album is light out.
    - Hi-Tek made 1 of the best beats of all time "The Blast"
  • nynicca
    nynicca Banned Users Posts: 877
    edited April 2010
    Options
    pac was a ballerina dry snitching feminem man
  • nynicca
    nynicca Banned Users Posts: 877
    edited April 2010
    Options
    biggie was not that famous when he was alive like people make him out to be.
  • enomujacku
    enomujacku Members Posts: 992
    edited April 2010
    Options
    nynicca wrote: »

yes he was. nynicca u suppose to be a ny ? and u dont kno that?
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    the bay does have a few good artists (the jacka, j.stalin, messy marv, j diggs, zion I)

the bay had more than a few;

mac dre
    luniz
    richie rich
    dru down
    e-40(ole e-40)
  • churchboy2
    churchboy2 Members Posts: 477
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The West will never come back, cause everyone got tired of the gangbangin mentality. And they will never switch it up. There are a few exceptions, but not enough.

^^^The truth dot com.
  • churchboy2
    churchboy2 Members Posts: 477
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Kardinal Offishall should have got the shine that Drake is getting now.
  • Ajax McJones
    Ajax McJones Members Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Tech n9ne can rap circles around your fave rapper
    eminem is still kinda underated (AT LEAST ON HERE)
    You Hate Nicki Minaj, but you still want to ? her
    Chamillionaires Ultimate victory was a masterpiece of an album
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    nynicca wrote: »

I don't know about this, I have 2 much older homeboys from NY who was around 16 around the LAD era (95-97) and they said after Ready 2 Die came out that's all you would hear in the city. Not only Brooklyn, just New York and all over. And so many people say that Ready 2 Die singlehandedly brought back attention to the East Coast. I was about 6 so I can't really vouch, but it seems most people disagree with you
  • A.Bump
    A.Bump Members Posts: 78
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I'm much older than your much older homies (i was 26-28 during those years 95-97) so I was old enough to not just be a fan boy like most teenagers. I was a grown ass man and the truth is Big wasn't as 'Big' as every young person these days think. The truth is Pac was more popular but on the real hardly anyone considered either of them the GOAT until after they died. People liked them a lot, but before they died the GOAT debate was between Krs-One, Rakim, LL, Kane. When Pac and Big died people got more all in and they blew up.

Yall aint gotta beleive it. But it's hard for a old head like me to sit back and listen to young heads talking about stuff they really weren't old enough to know for fact first hand. Most of the opinions the young heads have are based on stuff they heard or read. I'm Puff's age so I was in my prime hip-hop age at that time to know. Yeah Big was dope and had those hits out but the truth is there were a lot of dope MCs around that era. But the moment they died they became legends because that was the first time beef lead to killings like that in hip-hop. I did know some NY dudes that were on BIG like that but not as many outside of NY as people think. The rest of the country was still on that G-Funk era music and other dope artists like Outkast

How they credit Big for bring back the eastcoast when at that time Wu and Nas was out there ripping ? up at that time?
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You ain't lying about that one.

Yes He lol is RD is an absolute classic, it goes over alot of peoples head, Jay drops so many jewles on there, thats why He dumbed himself down... BP3 is trash IMO
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    That most of Hip Hop promotes and encourages violence amongst easily impressionable kids
  • A.Bump
    A.Bump Members Posts: 78
    edited April 2010
    Options
    DJ Quik > Dre

JD > Puff

Da Brat > Eve

? > Ghost

Too $hort got the best beats

Em's best song is Stan

Treach has a top 3 flow and is way under rated

Big Daddy Kane > Rakim

50 can't rap

Jeezy's style and music is wack as hell

Mos Def is a dope lyricist but his CDs are terrible

The Miseducation of Lauren Hill is overrated

Fugees overrated

Rza's beats are weak and repetitive

Run DMC > NWA > Wu

Ice Cube > Scarface

No Vaseline > Ether

Izzo is Jay's best song

KRS-One puts on the greatest concerts in hip-hop

Redman > Em

Andre 3000's Hey Ya was a garbage song

Nate Dogg can't sing
  • isayas
    edited April 2010
    Options
    A.Bump wrote: »
    DJ Quik > Dre

JD > Puff

Da Brat > Eve

? > Ghost

Too $hort got the best beats

Em's best song is Stan

Treach has a top 3 flow and is way under rated

Big Daddy Kane > Rakim

50 can't rap

Jeezy's style and music is wack as hell

Mos Def is a dope lyricist but his CDs are terrible

The Miseducation of Lauren Hill is overrated

Fugees overrated

Rza's beats are weak and repetitive

Run DMC > NWA > Wu

Ice Cube > Scarface

No Vaseline > Ether

Izzo is Jay's best song

KRS-One puts on the greatest concerts in hip-hop

Redman > Em

Andre 3000's Hey Ya was a garbage song

Nate Dogg can't sing

Word for the Kane be bein' than Rakim, I would have to agree, as well.
  • MAKAVELI25
    MAKAVELI25 Members Posts: 5,595 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lol, bout to stir up some drama in this ? :

1. If Orlando Anderson was responsible, then Pac brought it upon himself. He had no business going up and stomping that dude out like that because the ? had nothing to do with him. When you mess with a G, then expect G-style retaliation. Pac was a brilliant dude, if you listen to some of his interviews you can see how unique and intelligent he was, but when you see some of the ? he did you just gotta shake your head.

2. 50 Cent never fell off, he has improved in lyrical skill since GRODT. It's just that nobody cares about his story anymore. The Massacre was a solid album, better than the GRODT

3. Jeezy is not a good rapper. Let's be honest here, ? picks the best beats and apart from Rick Ross there is nobody that I play more in my car, but if he wasn't so adept at picking beats, he would lose at least half his fanbase.

4. White rappers do get more hype. Not talking bout Em, dude is crazy talented, but we would never have heard about Asher Roth or this new dude Sam Adams if they were black

5. Nas may be one of the best lyricists in the game, but he is one of the worst beat pickers ever, and he is not very charismatic
  • isayas
    edited April 2010
    Options
    MAKAVELI25 wrote: »
    Lol, bout to stir up some drama in this ? :

1. If Orlando Anderson was responsible, then Pac brought it upon himself. He had no business going up and stomping that dude out like that because the ? had nothing to do with him. When you mess with a G, then expect G-style retaliation. Pac was a brilliant dude, if you listen to some of his interviews you can see how unique and intelligent he was, but when you see some of the ? he did you just gotta shake your head.

2. 50 Cent never fell off, he has improved in lyrical skill since GRODT. It's just that nobody cares about his story anymore. The Massacre was a solid album, better than the GRODT

3. Jeezy is not a good rapper. Let's be honest here, ? picks the best beats and apart from Rick Ross there is nobody that I play more in my car, but if he wasn't so adept at picking beats, he would lose at least half his fanbase.

4. White rappers do get more hype. Not talking bout Em, dude is crazy talented, but we would never have heard about Asher Roth or this new dude Sam Adams if they were black

5. Nas may be one of the best lyricists in the game, but he is one of the worst beat pickers ever, and he is not very charismatic

I agree with all your points. Nas has never been charismatic.
  • DOOMposter
    DOOMposter Members Posts: 1
    edited April 2010
    Options
    most people posting here dont know what hip hop is

Black Thought is one of the most overlooked EMCEES

black thought,talib kweli,Krs-ONe,Rakim,Nas,Jay-z,2-Pac,Big,Slick Rick,Run DMC=TRUE MEANING of what a EMCEE IS

Follow The Leader is better then Paid In Full

The Roots are still ahead of their time

Young Money is good in theory but wont last(Drake sucks Wayne is getting old)

Slaughterhouse will continue to make great music

if you havent heard of Skillz you dont know hip hop

Supernatural is the ? to

Rahzel and Dogie E Fresh=Best Beatboxers ever

EPMD=Classic

Wu-Tang is FOREVER

J DIlla died WAY TO SOON
    same with PUN

NOREAGA is OVERLOOKED N.O.R.E is a CLASSIC album

NAS cant write a bad song

Q-Tip is just AMAZING

Charles Hamilton, Asher Roth, Wale, B.o.B,Wiz Khalifa , Curren$y,Joell Ortiz,Lupe Fiasco=PROOF that HIP HOP will survive

RAEKWON-O.B.4.C.L.2 is the ?

REDMAN is NJ Joe Budden is 2nd

Crooked I is the West Kept IMO

Theres my 2 cents for now...oh yeah MF DOOM is more then most can handle
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited April 2010
    Options
    when ? say you dont know Hip Hop cuz you dont rocc with/know an artist,
    they're wrong majority of the time and are bitter cuz they fav artist gets no recognition
  • phrostface
    phrostface Members Posts: 136
    edited April 2010
    Options
    [weezy]I'm goin' in...[/weezy]

Someone ghostwrites for Jeezy

Pac would have run or would be running for political office now if he were still alive

Jay-Z and Big would have had beef at some point were Big to have lived longer

Under different circumstances growing up, Nas would have had several NY Times best seller fictions published

Black Thought is in fact one of the most slept on MC's in the game

Weezy is the best spittin in the game now, top 10 of all time

old school should get credit the same way you respect edison and tesla for bringing about electricity, but your its iphone and google that bring a whole new level of functionality to your life

some artists take pleasure in being 'knowingly ignorant' (see plies, waka flocka, gucci, etc.)

BP3 > BP

while we're at it American Gangster and BP3 are in Jay-Z's Top 5 albums

eminem isn't as lyrically potent as he used to be

the west has a lyricism complex

more women than not secretly'd like to experience being a video chick (kind of how some chicks would want to have a menage with 2 dudes but never admit it openly for the fear of being stigmatized as a ? )

nicki minaj, at this stage in her career, seems to be more on top of her business than any female MC to have come along

while we're at it, lyrically Nicki Minaj is one of the better female MC's to have been released commercially

B.o.B. secretly encourages the comparisons to 3 stacks

Lupe is overrated

Drake tries too hard

J. Cole is the closest ever to having a pre-illmatic Nas type buzz ever in the game (and I mean it in the sense that if you take the percentage of 'early adopters' to people listening to hip-hop for Nas and J. Cole at the same points in their career, the numbers would be strikingly similar)

Detox isn't taking too long cause Dre wants it 'perfect', Detox is taking long cause Dre is lazy...and he can afford to be

Jay-Z will run for political office in the next 10 years.
  • therealist_
    therealist_ Members Posts: 3,389 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lil wayne being in jail is the best thing for his career.
  • chompollet
    chompollet Members Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Tupac Tatoo on his chest Ak-47 with "50" STAND FOR HOW MANY He have killed
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Rock > Commerical Hip-Hop

Hip Hop isn't dead, you just have to know where to look

Fans are the ones who hurt hip-hop b/c they refuse to cop "real" music- they complain about Drake and Wayne etc., but when Nas or Lupe drops an album, they download it, instead of buyin the hardware.....it's like duh homie, what u expect? All the cornballs and sheep coppin' Wayne's stuff, but when a real dude drop music, you can't spend 10 dollars and support his art?

I understand its your opinion, but could u further clarify what u meant by the bolded. because if your referring to commercial rock, as far as my opinion goes i respectfully disagree and im also an avid rock listener. ? emo rock bands like fall out boy, jimmy eat world, and boys like girls are imo no different than waka flocka and oj the juiceman

but anyway

my unpopular opinions

atliens>aquemini

like water for chocolate>>>>>be

between 1998-2001, xizibit was a top 5 emcee from the west

j. dilla's catalogue exceeds any other producer in hip hop

lupe fiasco doesnt move me like other people who consider him the second coming of christ

the beginning of hip hop's downfall traces back to p.? , not the south

eminem would never respond to the diss by k-rino because both me and him knows he cant compete

pharoahe monch is severly underrated and is considered a top 5 emcee imo

kanye is a great producer but overrated.

even though young money isnt that great to begin with, mack maine is the best member in the group lyrically. not drake or tyga

people love to say hip hop has downgraded in quality but the quality of music in general has downgraded not just hip hop

outside of joell ortiz, all the new rappers from ny are no more than mixtape clones with no future that have no choice but to spit rhymes while sitting on a stoop
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Emo rocc>>>most Hip Hop out today