Virginia declares April Confederate History Month....cr@ckas are going too far now

Options

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    hrap-120 wrote: »
    ...so I calmly told "it" that despite my prejudice it was virtually impossible for me to be "racist"due to me being a non-white person I lacked the power as an individual and my race as a collective to control or influence white people in the areas of (1)Economics, (2)Education, (3)Entertainment, (4)Labor, (5)Law, (6)Politics, (7)Religion, (8)Sex and (9)War.........therefore despite my prejudice towards my oppressor and enemy I could never be "racist".
    all these words, and yet you don't seem to understand the definition of the word "racism"
  • janklow
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ...read up on what the French did in Algeria and what the Belgiums did in the Congo.
    the Congo is, of course, an egregious example, but Algeria as "genocide?" really?
  • hrap-120
    hrap-120 Members Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    all these words, and yet you don't seem to understand the definition of the word "racism"

Who defined the word "racism"...a europeon??

I am a student of Neely Fuller Jr. and Francess Cress Welsing so my definition of Racism is different from 95% of the population

I believe "racism/white supremacy is a construct used by white people to exploit, oppress, colonize, and manipulate non-white peoples.
    Who created "racism" it damn sure wasn't a Black man, our interaction with other cultures has always been one of kindness and tolerance.
    Your interaction with other cultures has been one of destruction and death...history is no liar.

Your sick obsession with the movie "Live and Let Die" is laughable you always post the Black murder victims of James Bond in your avatar...you loved how Bond turned Mr. Big into a ? after inserting a helium pellet in his mouth....psychopathic-racism. ...Shame on you.

"Live and Let Die" was a racist book and a racist movie and I think its offensive and insensitive that you represent that trash while moderating on a Black website....do your homework.
  • Chike
    Chike Members Posts: 2,702 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    so if you were a black person living in VA you wouldn't mind your kids having to go to school and sit through a month worth celebrations honoring an institution that considered you less than human?

How is that any different than pledging allegiance to the American flag everyday? lol People act like the American flag and Confederate flag are completely different constitutions. It's like Rat poison vs a Mouse Trap. Both were meant for killing rodents but one is less brutal/obvious about it than the other. We better start waking up and smelling the roses... Let them be obvious about it, that way there will be no more excuses when we point the finger, they wont be able to say ? if they make it obvious.
  • The Jackal
    The Jackal Members Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lol @ a slavemaster not being evil. How does own a person and making them work make you good? Because you simply don't beat on said slave doesn't make you any better then the ones who do
  • elhuey
    elhuey Members Posts: 156
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Chike wrote: »
    How is that any different than pledging allegiance to the American flag everyday? lol People act like the American flag and Confederate flag are completely different constitutions. It's like Rat poison vs a Mouse Trap. Both were meant for killing rodents but one is less brutal/obvious about it than the other. We better start waking up and smelling the roses... Let them be obvious about it, that way there will be no more excuses when we point the finger, they wont be able to say ? if they make it obvious.

the difference is, america was not formed specifically for the right to keep slaves while the confederacy was.
  • hrap-120
    hrap-120 Members Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    elhuey wrote: »
    the difference is, america was not formed specifically for the right to keep slaves while the confederacy was.
    america was "formed" specifically by stealing land and exterminating the indigenous peoples who owned the land and were here first
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    america was "formed" specifically by stealing land and exterminating the indigenous peoples who owned the land and were here first

Good point....I guess the American flag is not much better compared to the Confederate one but the Confederacy was more blatant about protecting the rights of slave states compared to the Union. I'm aware that the Union had slave states too, but at least the Union eventually decided to end slavery, the Confederacy would have slaves till this very day if it wasnt for Union troops.
  • kingblaze84
    edited April 2010
    Options

Great post....whites have even less moral high ground with this month....it's just a shame black kids in Virginia will see crackas celebrate Confederate History Month like it's a great thing.

I can only imagine how Native Americans feel during Columbus and President's Day. On top of Thanksgiving.
  • elhuey
    elhuey Members Posts: 156
    edited April 2010
    Options
    touche, you're right. but i think part of the issue is that virginia governor doesnt even mention slavery in his declaration, and when first asked about it, he downplays it as not that big of deal. everyones school is different but when i learned american history, we didnt ignore the country's crimes.
  • _Ozymandias_
    _Ozymandias_ Members Posts: 490
    edited April 2010
    Options

so when they do make it obvious what are we suppose to do next? just say ok, and let them do it or are we suppose to point it out and fight against it?

i'm not disagreeing with anyone in this thread that points out they hypocrisy of the union and american history in general. it just seems like you're making the point that because we have a racist history in this country we should just ignore racists acts like celebrating "confederate history month".
  • Chike
    edited April 2010
    Options
    so when they do make it obvious what are we suppose to do next? just say ok, and let them do it or are we suppose to point it out and fight against it?

i'm not disagreeing with anyone in this thread that points out they hypocrisy of the union and american history in general. it just seems like you're making the point that because we have a racist history in this country we should just ignore racists acts like celebrating "confederate history month".

I'll go with the bold. Would you rather them be sneaky and not know who you're dealing with, or would you rather them take off the mask and expose themselves to better know your enemy?
  • _Ozymandias_
    _Ozymandias_ Members Posts: 490
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I'll go with the bold. Would you rather them be sneaky and not know who you're dealing with, or would you rather them take off the mask and expose themselves to better know your enemy?

first they're hardly ever sneaky with it. plenty of people (Limbaugh, Beck, etc) constantly support blatant racism. the problem isn't them being sneaky. the problem is we let it happen. and what's worse is we actually make excuses for them and even support it. i didn't need a conservative governor from virginia to declare a "confederacy history month", while purposely leaving out any mention of slavery, to know that there are people in power in this country that are racist.

regardless, my whole point has been this governor is pushing a racist agenda, and to pretend that it's not is foolish.

my question is, are you arguing that a governor choosing to declare a month to celebrate an institution whose ONLY reason for existing was to keep a whole race of people enslaved is a positive thing?
  • Chike
    edited April 2010
    Options
    first they're hardly ever sneaky with it. plenty of people (Limbaugh, Beck, etc) constantly support blatant racism. the problem isn't them being sneaky. the problem is we let it happen. and what's worse is we actually make excuses for them and even support it. i didn't need a conservative governor from virginia to declare a "confederacy history month", while purposely leaving out any mention of slavery, to know that there are people in power in this country that are racist.

regardless, my whole point has been this governor is pushing a racist agenda, and to pretend that it's not is foolish.

my question is, are you arguing that a governor choosing to declare a month to celebrate an institution whose ONLY reason for existing was to keep a whole race of people enslaved is a 2)positive thing?

Right, people like you and I don't, but many other people are ? confused when we call these racists devils out on their ? . "Like ? slavery was over a hundred years ago, get over it!" <~~~ I hear stupid ass comments like that all the time. Just saying...

2) In this case it's kinda of like a half full half empty cup situation, and I'm the kinda person that always sees the cup half full.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

There are actually many definitions and he actually is dead spot on. The generic term you seem to be reaching for is but one of many definitions.
  • duckmanpig
    duckmanpig Members Posts: 428
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I wonder how john mccain feels?
  • janklow
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Who defined the word "racism"...a europeon??
    the foundation of debate is for us to use an agreed-upon vocabulary. the only word i hear you debate the meaning of is "racism," and then it's done only in a manner convenient for your argument.

now, you could say "hey, i'm racist, but given the fact that i lack the power to act in the manner white racists can, my racism pales in comparison to theirs." but for some reason --and it's odd, because you wear your racism proudly and will endlessly speak of the justifications for it-- you cannot acknowledge that you meet the definition of the term. you HAVE to alter it.

who defined the word "prejudice," a word you're fine with applying to yourself? what's the difference here?
    my definition of Racism is different from 95% of the population
    exactly. but let's move on to the weird part of this post:
    Your sick obsession with the movie "Live and Let Die" is laughable you always post the Black murder victims of James Bond in your avatar...
    really? this is what i ALWAYS do? because i'm pretty sure that Yaphet Kotto there in Homicide wasn't killed by James Bond, even if they did eventually ? him off for that weird movie. however, i'm changing it to a previous subject for the upcoming event this weekend, although he, of course, has also never been a "Black murder victims of James Bond."
    ... I think its offensive and insensitive that you represent that trash while moderating on a Black website....do your homework.
    awww... it's cute the way your feelings are so hurt by my recognition that Geoffrey Holder is a cool guy.

ps. when's the last time you posted about hip-hop while ranting on a hip-hop website?
    And Step wrote: »
    There are actually many definitions and he actually is dead spot on. The generic term you seem to be reaching for is but one of many definitions.
    pull out the average dictionary and tell me with a straight face that his definition is anywhere near the original and/or commonly accepted one. it's an intentionally convenient definition, and really, you know this. because the thing is, racism as defined generally DOESN'T ABSOLVE WHITE RACISM AT ALL.
  • And Step
    And Step Members Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    the foundation of debate is for us to use an agreed-upon vocabulary. the only word i hear you debate the meaning of is "racism," and then it's done only in a manner convenient for your argument.

now, you could say "hey, i'm racist, but given the fact that i lack the power to act in the manner white racists can, my racism pales in comparison to theirs." but for some reason --and it's odd, because you wear your racism proudly and will endlessly speak of the justifications for it-- you cannot acknowledge that you meet the definition of the term. you HAVE to alter it.

who defined the word "prejudice," a word you're fine with applying to yourself? what's the difference here?

exactly. but let's move on to the weird part of this post:

really? this is what i ALWAYS do? because i'm pretty sure that Yaphet Kotto there in Homicide wasn't killed by James Bond, even if they did eventually ? him off for that weird movie. however, i'm changing it to a previous subject for the upcoming event this weekend, although he, of course, has also never been a "Black murder victims of James Bond."

awww... it's cute the way your feelings are so hurt by my recognition that Geoffrey Holder is a cool guy.

ps. when's the last time you posted about hip-hop while ranting on a hip-hop website?

pull out the average dictionary and tell me with a straight face that his definition is anywhere near the original and/or commonly accepted one. it's an intentionally convenient definition, and really, you know this. because the thing is, racism as defined generally DOESN'T ABSOLVE WHITE RACISM AT ALL.

There is no general agreed upon definition.Many different dictionary say different things. Wikepedia offoers a definition that is much more close to what hrap said. It has many components that have been defined by periodicals, experts, and laypersons alike. The UN itself is issuing statements on racism defined it as much more multi-faceted than what you are saying.

Some whites try to sidetrack black people by playing petty word games. They would have you believe that Khalid Muhammad was the same as the KKK, just because his words were just as caustic in some instances. Sorry money grip it don't go that way.

Deeds trump words all day ayan day.
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    SMH @ Virginia's governor, and the "sons of the ? confederacy"
  • janklow
    edited April 2010
    Options
    There is no general agreed upon definition. Many different dictionary say different things.
    if nothing else, there is the original definition of the term. and these "different dictionaries" are not giving the wildly disagreeing definitions being claimed. but more to the point is this: people don't dispute the common definition until it's inconvenient for their argument. and honestly, i don't see why h-rap argues the definition since he feels his stance is justified.
    Some whites try to sidetrack black people by playing petty word games. They would have you believe that Khalid Muhammad was the same as the KKK, just because his words were just as caustic in some instances. Sorry money grip it don't go that way.
    again, can you not call them both racist while noting that the latter has been responsible for many more and much worse deeds? it's not like calling them both racist would make them equivalent.
  • Funky Dr
    Funky Dr Banned Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Anderson Silva = GOAT

but anyways...

SMH @ People in the north who fly the confederate flag.
  • kingblaze84
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Funky Dr wrote: »
    Anderson Silva = GOAT

but anyways...

SMH @ People in the north who fly the confederate flag.

Whose Anderson Silva?
  • Madam Speaker
    Madam Speaker Members Posts: 259
    edited April 2010
    Options
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
  • Alkindus
    Alkindus Members Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    despite the fact that the other history months are lame azz hell as wel, who cares? when it all comes down to it, your still chillin under the american flag. Which isn't exactly known for its tolerance and non violence lol. If people want to celebrate ? let them......if you are going to hate on them because they celebrate ? up ? maybe you should realize you are looking in the mirror.