Drakes buzz peaked in summer 2009 and it fell off

Options
hot7777
hot7777 Members Posts: 201
edited April 2010 in The Reason
the popularity of 'drake rapper' over the course of the last 12 months is shown below.Face it the only thing 'over' about Drake is his buzz.
viz?q=drake+rapper&date=ytd&geo=all&graph=weekly_img&sort=0&sa=N

Update:
Here is the full chart of Drake's Buzz

viz?q=Drake+Rapper&date=all&geo=all&graph=weekly_img&sort=0&sa=N

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    hot7777 wrote: »
    the popularity of 'drake rapper' over the course of the last 12 months is shown below.Face it the only thing 'over' about Drake is his buzz.
    viz?q=drake+rapper&date=ytd&geo=all&graph=weekly_img&sort=0&sa=N

Wow, is that a real chart on Drake? LOL if it is, but the chart would be accurate. His buzz was RIDICULOUS last year summer time....I created like 7 burned cds mostly with his songs on them, now he's falling off.....it's sad to see. He could have been rap's savior, now he looks like a good ringtone artist. I still like him but damn, I can tell his album isn't gonna be all that when it does drop. He may have peaked with Successful, which is actually one of my all time top 5 favorite songs ever.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Who knows, I see girls all the time on Facebook with the lyrics to "Over" in their status. So that will help with his sales. But my favorite song by him will always be "November 18th":

Cause ? 's only ? and I get it when I need it
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    He is still buzzing but obviously not like last year I think he will be alright he already had two hits with Best I Ever Had and Successful and Over is gaining steam all he needs is a strong single before his album drops in June.
  • Monizzle
    Monizzle Members Posts: 1,666
    edited April 2010
    Options
    in some cases it seems like it is better for you to come into the game under the radar and then slowly work your way to the top. The most hype you have the more pressure and anticipation people have. If you look at guys like kanye and lil wayne (weather you like them or not) they came in the game wit low expectations. It took kanye till aroun jesus walks music video/single to get crazy sales for college dropout. Weezy had that block is hot and 500 degreez but his career didnt get to where it was now untill tha carter. When you get crazy initial hype like a soulja boy or mike jones or young joc. It almost seems like your buzz will last forever and if you dont follow up hard with it then your in big trouble.
  • maximus preme
    maximus preme Members Posts: 1,995 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I've been saying this for the longest. Last year was the year of young money but they aint drop no albums. They ? up there. This year people are starting to forget about them or realizing they aint as hot as they thought they were. That's how the game is now. People's attention span aint that long so you gotta take advantage of any buzz you have asap.

But Drake will be all right. I'd be more worried about Nicki flopping, which will happen mark my words, than Drake. Drake has a pretty solid fan base so they will buy his ? but nicki is all hype and gimmicks and that doesn't last long in music at all. She has a way shorter shelf life and it is already starting to expire.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    we need some real rappers in the game not no sitcom actor jews that do it as a hobby
  • Trappin101
    Trappin101 Members Posts: 25
    edited April 2010
    Options
    damn the buzz is gone
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Uhh you do know that in June/July 2009 he was making headlines for getting signed, having 2 songs in the Top 10, re-tearing his ACL on video, filing an iTunes lawsuit, and announcing his Thank Me Later album, right??

I swear people throw around the word 'buzz' now worse than you do "classics". You don't need to be constantly making headlines to sell albums. And if Drake's "buzz" is dead then what is the rest of the rap industry's "buzz" looking like??
  • DaPrinciplez
    DaPrinciplez Members Posts: 1,148
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Too be honest I don't think Drakes buzz was ever really that big, well not as big as everyones making out over there in the States.

Out here in Australia, Hip Hops a big thing, not as big as over there but its big, 75% of the people i know, listen to hip hop an i highly doubt any one of them knows a damn thing about Drake except for maybe my gurl and thats just becoz of the rumor that was goin round of him stickin it to Rhianna...

No matter how big he is over there, i highly doubt he's goin to be this big international rap star, I mean ? , Wiz Khalifas' Say Yeah track made more noise over here in Aus then anythin Drake has done....
    Just some food for thought.

Oh and the only reason anyone gave a ? about that "Forever" track, was coz of Em. :/
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    See, i already know what's gonna happen in the game. YM had their little run but obviously people are getting sick of them from the sales of Lil Waynes, Baby, and Jay Sean last album. Some new movement is gonna come in and start a new trend. I wouldn't be surprised if B.o.B and J Cole end up having a better career than Drake, Drake reminds me alot of Ja Rule and his run. He will sing some ? for the ? , then a new ? will come along and replace him (50 Cent). It's not like Drake has a loyal street or hiphop head fanbase to rely on, his fanbase is ? for the most part.
  • krow132
    krow132 Members Posts: 1,033 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I think his buzz is fine. dude is talked about all day as if he was an established artist. He'll be fine. That wack ass video for over is not helping him though
  • yungflashy
    yungflashy Members Posts: 937 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    drake gonna be koo, but personally i think he's getting cheesy
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Monizzle wrote: »
    in some cases it seems like it is better for you to come into the game under the radar and then slowly work your way to the top. The most hype you have the more pressure and anticipation people have. If you look at guys like kanye and lil wayne (weather you like them or not) they came in the game wit low expectations. It took kanye till aroun jesus walks music video/single to get crazy sales for college dropout. Weezy had that block is hot and 500 degreez but his career didnt get to where it was now untill tha carter. When you get crazy initial hype like a soulja boy or mike jones or young joc. It almost seems like your buzz will last forever and if you dont follow up hard with it then your in big trouble.

Kanye West's career took off around "Slow Jamz" which came out before the album did. College Dropout did Jay Z type first week numbers which was huge for a new artist at the time. Aside from "Slow Jamz", Ye also had "All Falls Down" (Top 10) and "Through The Wire" (Top 20) as hits before he dropped "Jesus Walks." Wayne was bigger sales wise before Tha Carter, he just wasn't respected as an MC until that album. The respect and the sales didn't match up until Carter 2.

I think people need to wait until Drake's album drops before saying he's going to flop. People should know by now that buzz doesn't move units. If it did, then according to "buzz"-mongers, Gucci should've been platinum by now.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I've been saying this for the longest. Last year was the year of young money but they aint drop no albums. They ? up there. This year people are starting to forget about them or realizing they aint as hot as they thought they were.

But Drake will be all right. I'd be more worried about Nicki flopping, which will happen mark my words, than Drake. Drake has a pretty solid fan base so they will buy his ? but nicki is all hype and gimmicks and that doesn't last long in music at all. She has a way shorter shelf life and it is already starting to expire.
    =\ People were saying this last year. OH Nicki better drop soon before the buzz dies down. The buzz is only building. I dunno about Drake though.

Drake having a more solid fanbase than Nicki is laughable too. Have you seen how many TeamMinaj fanpages there are from around the world??
  • LV'sAndG's
    LV'sAndG's Members Posts: 75
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I love how people hate on Drake for being Jewish and from the suburbs. Truth is he's exactly what hip-hop needs.

Haters gonna hate.
  • Chillin&Postin
    Chillin&Postin Members Posts: 3,057
    edited April 2010
    Options
    minaj stock went way up,
    drake buzz is way down

exactly a year ago they coulda dropped the album and it woulda sold like 1.8 million off the strength of "every girl" "best i ever" "successful" and "forever",damn,dude had hits last year... and i was hatin

but now... ionno,it jus aint the same. by the end of the year minaj buzz should be at atleast 800k records sold if an album is released. she is everywhere. bigger than hip hop
  • hot7777
    edited April 2010
    Options
    LVsAndGs wrote: »
    I love how people hate on Drake for being Jewish and from the suburbs. Truth is he's exactly what hip-hop needs.

Haters gonna hate.

lol hiphop doesnt need Drake at all. They ONLY reason why he is big now is cuz Lil Wayne put him on at the height of his popularity (Carter 3).
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    SMH Y'all are steady focusing on dumb stuff...
  • Chillin&Postin
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lol hiphop doesnt need Drake at all. They ONLY reason why he is big now is cuz Lil Wayne put him on at the height of his popularity (Carter 3).

i honestly think drake coulda been a star w/o wayne's association

wayne's association prolly hurt how big of a star he could be cuz of all of wayne's drama and legal battles dont look good in the press

drake cant even go on tour with his bandmates cuz they dont fit the image of stars.
  • LV'sAndG's
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Don't be an idiot. Drake was rapping best before he got with young money.. Being on lil waynes team doesn't mean anything if you aren't talented. Look at jae millz, mack maine, gutta gutta, and all the rest of the no names on young money
  • hot7777
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i honestly think drake coulda been a star w/o wayne's association

wayne's association prolly hurt how big of a star he could be cuz of all of wayne's drama and legal battles dont look good in the press

drake cant even go on tour with his bandmates cuz they dont fit the image of stars.

Ask yourself when the mainstream people started talking about Drake. They first started after mixtape features he did with Weezy way back in 07-08. Without Lil Waynes help or cosign it would have been almost impossible for Drake to brake into the industry because( no hate)
    1) he is not from either the east, west or the south (most of those artists go unnoticed without major cosigns or deals)
    2) his rhyme scheme is not original (why should people notice if there is nothing different about an aritst)
    3) no street cred (not that this is necessary but if the public does not know an artist they look for their history carefully)

this song was the start of his so called buzz, without the feature from wayne it would prob not happen
  • LV'sAndG's
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Ask yourself when the mainstream people started talking about Drake. They first started after mixtape features he did with Weezy way back in 07-08. Without Lil Waynes help or cosign it would have been almost impossible for Drake to brake into the industry because( no hate)
    1) he is not from either the east, west or the south (most of those artists go unnoticed without major cosigns or deals)
    2) his rhyme scheme is not original (why should people notice if there is nothing different about an aritst)
    3) no street cred (not that this is necessary but if the public does not know an artist they look for their history carefully)

this song was the start of his so called buzz, without the feature from wayne it would prob not happen

1. street cred doesn't sell albums
    2.I'm from the west and have been rockin with drake since 2007

your points are invalid
  • Chillin&Postin
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i never even heard that song that hot777 posted

i first heard of drake back in 07 when that romance album he had came out,the one with him in the Pea Coat on the cover

but the mainstream, i dont know. i dont even talk to anyone that follows the mainstream when it comes to music. majority of people i know are sheeple who cant even name a KRS song
  • turqiun
    turqiun Members Posts: 1,491 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Nikki is gonna flop but I think people reaching on the drake buzz. Dude is everywhere on tv, radio and just had that cover with nikki in Vibe I think. People were saying the same thing about weezy when he dropped the carter 3 and look what happened. Drake isn't even one of my favorite artists out right now but come on now. He might have gotten his "wig pushed back" but he'll come through.