Ni99a just told me LeBron should be DPOY, WTF?

Options
D.D.S.
D.D.S. Members Posts: 7,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
me and my homie was just talkin the NBA and ? , and this ? tell me he think LeBron is the best defensive player in the L. WTF? that ? is overrated on D. he gets those "showtime" blocks but that's about it, he doesn't shut down his opponents like a DPOY should.
what yall think?

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Of course not hes defender like Ai was a defender.. hes ok at best.. he's good at jumping the lanes and roaming for blocks.. but hes far from a game changing lock down defensive player
  • D.D.S.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yeah, getting a lot of blocks and/or steals doesn't make u a good defender
    for example, look at bruce bowen, he didn't get a lot of steals or blocks, but he frustrated the ? outta his opponents.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    If he didn't have such a heavy offensive responsibility he easilly could win the award imo. Look at Dwight Howard, who in the ? is he going up againsts (? ass centers). The most skilled positions in the NBA right now are wing players.
  • D.D.S.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    If he didn't have such a heavy offensive responsibility he easilly could win the award imo.[/B] Look at Dwight Howard, who in the ? is he going up againsts (? ass centers). The most skilled positions in the NBA right now are wing players.

shut the hell up wit that ?
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    like i said in another thread....? see his highlight defensive plays (the run down blocks) and all of a sudden hes this great defensive player??....the ? isnt a good man defender at all, and doesnt guard the other teams best player on most nights, and when he does...he gets torched (word to the Melo vs Lebron showdown)
  • D.D.S.
    edited April 2010
    Options
    like i said in another thread....? see his highlight defensive plays (the run down blocks) and all of a sudden hes this great defensive player??....the ? isnt a good man defender at all, and doesnt guard the other teams best player on most nights, and when he does...he gets torched (word to the Melo vs Lebron showdown)

co-sign, ? 10 characters
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    D.D.S. wrote: »
    shut the hell up wit that ?

All defense is, is a will to play it. He has the athleticism to do it

As far as ? saying he doesn't guard the other teams best player, does Kobe,Howard,etc. Nope! It would be damn near impossible for Lebron to handle the ball as much as he handles it, then go all out on defense. Didn't you idiots see the Magic series last year, when dude had to guard Turk and put up those points because his garbage ass teammates didn't show up.
  • sTaY_TrUe
    sTaY_TrUe Members Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ? see this dude make a few nice blocks from behind and he should be the defensive player of the year? Rofl, GTFOH with that ? . His on the ball D is ok at best and thats it. Don't be confused by the highlights
  • iAMNOVA
    iAMNOVA Members Posts: 2,493 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Say word my homeboy and I were just having this same conversation...about how Bron isnt a great defender he's a highlight defender...how many times has he locked down his man...how many time has he just str8 up blocked his opponent's shot...very rarely he get weak side blocks or run down blocks...he aint shutting down his man...he's okay at best and the media does the rest...FOH with lebron DPOY
  • bless the child
    bless the child Members Posts: 5,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You cant really make any cases for him being a bad defender though.You cant use examples of him getting killed by Melo because so does everybody else in the league. If anybody can show me instances where he has played bad defense on your average player then we can say he's a terrible defender. You're not going to shut a superstar player down. I never saw any superstar player besides Michael Jordan, shut an opposing superstar down. Superstars score, thats what they do. To say "oh Carmelo scorches him" doesnt really say much because he scorches Kobe Bryant, he scorches D-wade, Joe Johnson...He scorches all superstars player. I dont know how many times back in the day people would say Kobe is a great one on one defender, but when he would guard T-mac, Vince, and Ray Allen they would still score as if it was any other defender.
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    All defense is, is a will to play it. He has the athleticism to do it

As far as ? saying he doesn't guard the other teams best player, does Kobe,Howard,etc. Nope! It would be damn near impossible for Lebron to handle the ball as much as he handles it, then go all out on defense. Didn't you idiots see the Magic series last year, when dude had to guard Turk and put up those points because his garbage ass teammates didn't show up.

lebron guarded pietrus most of the ECF

lebron james is not a good man defender. i dont know where this myth started
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    If he didn't have such a heavy offensive responsibility he easilly could win the award imo. Look at Dwight Howard, who in the ? is he going up againsts (? ass centers). The most skilled positions in the NBA right now are wing players.

he shut down david lee, al horford and duncan, all star centers
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ? Shitman wrote: »
    he shut down david lee, al horford and duncan, all star centers

Duncan is washed up, and lets be real about Horford and Lee, none of these are the second coming of Hakeem.
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lebron guarded pietrus most of the ECF

lebron james is not a good man defender. i dont know where this myth started

Naw dude, he guarded Turk for a while and he got too exhausted doing everything so they put him on Pietrus.
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Duncan is washed up, and lets be real about Horford and Lee, none of these are the second coming of Hakeem.

no one's the second coming of hakeem. dwight can only guard who's in front of him. he's locking down all star centers, the best the league has to offer at this time. you want him to hot tub time machine it back to 94 and play hakeem?
  • MillzOG
    MillzOG Members, Moderators Posts: 14,508 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yo, you cant blame Dwight ? there arent many allstar centers left in the league....THAT IS NOT HIS FAULT
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    no one's the second coming of hakeem. dwight can only guard who's in front of him. he's locking down all star centers, the best the league has to offer at this time. you want him to hot tub time machine it back to 94 and play hakeem?

I understand that, but all i'm saying is he is playing against the weakest position in the NBA right now. Lebron is going up against way better competition every night than Howard is, dude can pretty much guard 4 positions. Durant, Kobe,Joe Johnson,etc > Lee and Horford
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Naw dude, he guarded Turk for a while and he got too exhausted doing everything so they put him on Pietrus.

even when he did guard turk, he wasnt shutting him down. turk was crucial in that series. turk and pietrus were both eating when bron was guarding them. he's not a good man defender
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    even when he did guard turk, he wasnt shutting him down. turk was crucial in that series. turk and pietrus were both eating when bron was guarding them. he's not a good man defender

Dude no one shuts down anyone in the NBA, a good scorer will always find a way to score. Plus like i said, Lebron is the first option scoring and passing then have to play defense. Dwight Howard is the third offensive option on the Magic, he doesn't have to play on both sides of the ball as hard as Lebron.
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I understand that, but all i'm saying is he is playing against the weakest position in the NBA right now. Lebron is going up against way better competition every night than Howard is, dude can pretty much guard 4 positions. Durant, Kobe,Joe Johnson,etc > Lee and Horford

he's not guarding them for a majority of the game though. thats why they brought in parker/moon to do the heavy lifting on defense for 40 minutes, and bron guards them in certain situations.
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Dude no one shuts down anyone in the NBA, a good scorer will always find a way to score. Plus like i said, Lebron is the first option scoring and passing then have to play defense. Dwight Howard is the third offensive option on the Magic, he doesn't have to play on both sides of the ball as hard as Lebron.

the bolded makes it obvious you dont watch the games
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    the bolded makes it obvious you dont watch the games

So you are saying Howard is their primary scoring option or have to do as much for his team as Lebron?
  • Dick Shitman
    edited April 2010
    Options
    So you are saying Howard is their primary scoring option or have to do as much for his team as Lebron?

yes, howard is the primary option. dont be fooled by his number of FG attempts a game, he's the primary option.

he has to play both sides of the ball more than lebron because if he doesnt, were an average defensive team at best. lebron has parker/moon/varejao all good defenders to help pick up his slack defensively. dwight has nelson/vc/lewis, all horrible defenders. dwight slacked off on his defense during january and orlando lost 8 games that month alone. since he stepped it up around the all star game, orlando hasnt lost 8 games total
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

Howard is on some nights the first option and most nights the second
  • killap
    killap Members Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    oh hell I gotta draw the line some where and this is it....matter of fact Im throwing Dwade into this as well both of them are always taking easy defensive roles and playing lazy as ? on D....last yr when Dwight was beasting on skinny ass Ilgauskus and all the announcers were saying the Cavs have nobody with enough size and athleticism to guard Dwight did they all forget Lebron plays on the Cavs? I dont even want to hear about a size difference howard-and-james-share-a-few-words-a-time-out-during-game-3-of-the-eastern-conference-finals-played-at-the-amway-arena-in-orlando-florida.jpg Lebron is way better match up then Ilgauskus I dont hear anyone complaining when Lebron is scoring on 6-5 6-6 guards n SFs.