Bill Simmons on NBA Countdown

Options
S2J
S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2012 in From the Cheap Seats
For those not familiar with his history, he's been a writer on ESPN for years, and his writing style is full of 90's and 80's pop references, and he basically uses movie and TV quotes to make his points on sports. chalk full of sarcasm, and constantly comes up with his own personal rules and theories...

I say all that to say this: I cant stand this ? Lol I used to like him actually, but his sarcasm and reference-heavy style are played out...most importantly, he doesnt have a temperment for TV. (see Rick Reilly)

All he does is defer to Magic, Jalen, and even Wilbon (who is only a writer like him).

What purpose does he serve? Broussard, as annoying as his voice was, was atleast pegged as the 'insider' and that was his role

Speak on it...

Comments

• MC The Rapper
    MC The Rapper Members Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Why did people watch espn yesterday with them wack ass games. I stay tuned in to either NBA TV or TNT . I don't ? with espn's wack ass nba pre-game/half-time joints especially if its wack games scheduled . Hornets vs Sixers come on man. That game will put you to bed before you get to enjoy lob city/spurs
  • Jdilla26
    Jdilla26 Members Posts: 2,309 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought adding Jalen Rose was GOAT Bill Simmons long time writer read quite a few articles over the years not sure how he will do on TV but a very good critic of these type of NBA shows. I remember Simmons saying his dream job was to become the GM of the Milwaukee Bucks
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Too much of a Stan towards everything that's sports on Boston, not only that but he's from there & most people know how people from mass. can be!!!
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bias towards boston ans looks like chester da molester..he wack
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bill Simmons is boring, they should have kept Barry and Broussard
  • BlackAX410
    BlackAX410 Members Posts: 35,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    havent watched their halftime show but I remember when he commentated a game a few years ago he was hella borinwit dat monotone voice he just aint made for TV he's a good writer tho
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Magic has a bias towards the Lakers, and Wilbon has a bias towards everything Chicago. So I'm not sure why yall bringing up Simmons biases. Bill Simmons is like Rick Reilly good writer but not good for tv. He's has no energy, and comes off boring. I think it's the tone in his voice. But the show is better without Broussard. What I hate the most is that they turn the half time into PTI. ? just show me some highlights and updates then back to the game.
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    espn just dumbs everything down during their game broadcasts and make it into some barbershop type ? and only shows the real ? late at night when most of the public is asleep..simmons ain't got a voice for tv
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was thinking of this last night during the Hornets halftime...that nga terrible..he comes off as..remember how when you was little you would discuss things with your homeboy and you had that outsider dorky dude trying to fit in by saying ? related to the topic and to keep from hurting feelings..you just give a fake laugh
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will say one thing @ least he's better than Stuart Scott!!!
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Instead of complaining about the wacc ass nba countdown show dont watch it

I never do.If you watch espn coverage over nbatv or tnt you lost
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The reason why ESPN coverage sucks so much is because it's a Disney company and it won't allow the ? -ish ? that TNT gets away with. Plus Charles Barkley is a unique on screen personality, i know TNT has to be paying him out the ass.
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They have Jalen Rose hosting which is all wrong. Jalen Rose should be what Kenny Smith is to TNT
  • S2J
    Options
    I was thinking of this last night during the Hornets halftime...that nga terrible..he comes off as..remember how when you was little you would discuss things with your homeboy and you had that outsider dorky dude trying to fit in by saying ? related to the topic and to keep from hurting feelings..you just give a fake laugh

EXACTLY why i made this thread.

Our examples are similar lol I said he's like when you wit ya homies or at work, that 1 guy everytime he speaks it just feels like all the air goes out of the room and it gets quiet, and the wackness of his words get amplified.

Everytime he talks its almost as if he about ot raise his hand to get permission. Lol Speak up ngga
  • S2J
    edited November 2012
    Options
    I dont know if anyone else caught it but Magic sonned him twice on their first day last week Lol

1) Simmons said somethin about some random player he rooted for in the 80's, and how the player used to 'give the Lakers problems'

Magic hit him with the 'what are you talkin about??, we beat them 4-2 in the playoffs" and gave him the dismissive laugh + looked at Wilbon (while pointing at Simmons), with the look sayin: 'what is he even talkin about right now' Lmao

2) At the end of the show, they showed a actual video of a young Bill Simmons at a 80s Celtics game vs LA. They paused it right when the Lakers were leaving the tunnel, and Simmons was in the stands

Magic just started pointin to Simmons on some 'got youuuu, i was playin when u was a lil nggaaaaaa'

Thye panned back to Simmons his jaw was all clenched, he was tight Lmao

• S2J
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Here's the video of Simmons they showed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbzyOw3EfsQ

Dead. Now i can see why he was mad. frickin dork Lol
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think he kinda funny , he sarcastic as hell
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't see what he brings to their nba coverage. I remember he did a Heat /Warriors game a while back and was terrible
  • thegreatunknown
    thegreatunknown Members Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Simmons is a decent writer for a Celtics fan..but he's terrible on TV and is pretty annoying with that whiny ass voice. They need to get rid of him and TNT needs to replace Shaq's monotone,corny ass as well and bring in C-Webb or something.
  • DaBull
    DaBull Members Posts: 9,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    The reason why ESPN coverage sucks so much is because it's a Disney company and it won't allow the ? -ish ? that TNT gets away with. Plus Charles Barkley is a unique on screen personality, i know TNT has to be paying him out the ass.

actually makes sense...and its from usmarine...WOW
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rose/ Anthony/CWebb/Barkley/Van Gundy/Marv Albert/ Kenny Smith should do all the games.... and when Mark Jackson gets fired in Golden St bring him back....
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    Lol @ when Mark Jackson gets fired.
  • goodlookinout
    goodlookinout Members Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They missed the boat on SVG ? Stern hoe ass
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo is C-webb calling games..

Lol @ steve smith calling games...? was horrible Lol..I think I put that game on mute