How did the South take over Hip-hop, and how did "True" Hip-hop let it die?

Options
P-Unit Productions
P-Unit Productions Members Posts: 963 ✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in The Reason
Gucci, Souljah Boy, and Waka can't be the reason........................

Comments

• tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

every region has their time to burn, soe its not really fair to say that the South "Killed' hiphop..............i think that a lax of Substance is what ? the Game up, it jsut happens the these Artist that Represent that is From the South..........mind u, the north had its ? Music Phase too, ? is still Trynna Ressurect DipSet like they Was nice or Something, So U begin to See where the Decline is At
  • P-Unit Productions
    edited April 2010
    Options
    tri3w wrote: »
    every region has their time to burn, soe its not really fair to say that the South "Killed' hiphop..............i think that a lax of Substance is what ? the Game up, it jsut happens the these Artist that Represent that is From the South..........mind u, the north had its ? Music Phase too, ? is still Trynna Ressurect DipSet like they Was nice or Something, So U begin to See where the Decline is At

The south has been carrying the whole game post wu-tang, death row, and bad boy era..I know the south has more than a few artists who are garbage, but collectively, what's stopping east coast/west coast aka "true hiphop" from making a comeback? who is "true hiphop" next great hope? because honestly i don't see anyone with the total package to carry the torch from the south....
  • Pelly Adams
    Pelly Adams Members Posts: 52
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I'm from Houston and growing up it was people like Outkast, Scarface, 3 6 Mafia, Geto Boys, Street Military, SUC, Fat Pat, Project Pat, and Trick Daddy who lead the south...but...we grow up and the new generation grows and we get ? . I'm proud to be a rap fan living 90's...best rap period ever.
  • ambiguous1
    ambiguous1 Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    They took over mainstream hip hop and the radio and mtv and ? , which is controlled by corporations... as long as they continue to make dance jingles and unthought provoking music they'll continue to "take over hip hop on the mainstream level" That's why you have NY rappers that make that music and they put on top... it's sure not talent. It's able to make a song where someone can justify it's wackness by saying it bumps in the whip or it knocks in teh club

i mean i dont hear much trick daddy, cunninglyguists, Outkast, 3 6 mafia, Scarface on the radio...
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The south officially took over in 2003. The east coast was stagnant with their sound and the south offered something new and different for better or worse. So while the south continues to bang out new artist the east is still stuck on that 90's/early 2000's sound, and hoping that it would make a come back. It's not really about the true hip hop heads letting it die, it's more about the powers that be that only wanna focus on pushing certain artists and sounds. The balance that once made mainstream hip hop great is now dead.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The south ran with the east coast style imo (wayne,ti,luda,etc) and the fact that there are no respectable up and coming NY rappers, just some mixtape ? . Oh yeah, Jay-z retiring in 03 open up the lane for alot of ? and no one from NY jumped at the opportunity.
  • Pelly Adams
    Pelly Adams Members Posts: 52
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ambiguous1 wrote: »
    They took over mainstream hip hop and the radio and mtv and ? , which is controlled by corporations... as long as they continue to make dance jingles and unthought provoking music they'll continue to "take over hip hop on the mainstream level" That's why you have NY rappers that make that music and they put on top... it's sure not talent. It's able to make a song where someone can justify it's wackness by saying it bumps in the whip or it knocks in teh club

i mean i dont hear much trick daddy, cunninglyguists, Outkast, 3 6 mafia, Scarface on the radio...

cuz they all in their mid to late 30's...hip hop was/still is a young man's music...
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    true hip hop was never mainstream. ? has been on the radio since day one. nothing has changed. pop rap has never been a factor in my life, whether it was the east coast, west coast or down south. i dont care where you are from. ? music is ? music. the south can have mtv, bet and the radio.

MoreEpicFAIL.jpg
  • 5th Letter
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    The south ran with the east coast style imo (wayne,ti,luda,etc) and the fact that there are no respectable up and coming NY rappers, just some mixtape ? . Oh yeah, Jay-z retiring in 03 open up the lane for alot of ? and no one from NY jumped at the opportunity.

I would have to disagree with you about not having enough respectable up coming NY artists. The problem with those artist is that they get no play on the radio unless they change their style to fit whats hot right now. Either singing and rhyming like B.O.B/Drake or making music like Young Jeezy or Gucci Mane. Anything beyond that gets no burn.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »
    I would have to disagree with you about not having enough respectable up coming NY artists. The problem with those artist is that they get no play on the radio unless they change their style to fit whats hot right now. Either singing and rhyming like B.O.B/Drake or making music like Young Jeezy or Gucci Mane. Anything beyond that gets no burn.

Come on son, you consider Coret Gunz (mr. rhyme a bunch of words and not say ? ), Papass (corny ass punchlines), Juelz Santana (cheesy punchlines), Lloyd Banks (mr. monotonous)etc respectable. It's so much garbage ass young rappers in NY right now, when the last time you can honestly say any of those dudes made classic or great songs, all they do is rhyme over other peoples beats. They can't create fresh and dope product on their own, they are all overgrlofied punchline and mixtapes rappers.
  • P-Unit Productions
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I mean, even on the mixtape circuit, the south has that lock down also, who are the NY dj's thats suppose to be pushing new up and coming talent? what are they going to do when they cant hang there hats on Jay-z anymore. Cory gunz is nice, but he just raps fast, and make every word in his 16's rhyme..but do he got the total package to be successful in the game, do he even have a memorable single?
  • 5th Letter
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Come on son, you consider Coret Gunz (mr. rhyme a bunch of words and not say ? ), Papass (corny ass punchlines), Juelz Santana (cheesy punchlines), Lloyd Banks (mr. monotonous)etc respectable. It's so much garbage ass young rappers in NY right now, when the last time you can honestly say any of those dudes made classic or great songs, all they do is rhyme over other peoples beats. They can't create fresh and dope product on their own, they are all overgrlofied punchline and mixtapes rappers.

Corey Gunz is young and all he needs to do is develop his song making ability, Papoose before he fell off could have been the next Nas, he had some of the illest concepts and songs around 2005 and 2006, he just wasted his best material on mixtapes. Juelz I'll give you that, Banks is a talented MC too, he has a nice buzz right now with Beamer, Benz or Bently.

I think there are a few more like Joe Budden, Joell Ortiz, Jugg A Not, Jae Millz, Saigon, Young Chris etc all from the east that are talented.
  • 5th Letter
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I mean, even on the mixtape circuit, the south has that lock down also, who are the NY dj's thats suppose to be pushing new up and coming talent? what are they going to do when they cant hang there hats on Jay-z anymore. Cory gunz is nice, but he just raps fast, and make every word in his 16's rhyme..but do he got the total package to be successful in the game, do he even have a memorable single?

That can be developed with time. He needs someone to teach him that aspect and Wayne can do it just as long as he doesn't dumb down his lyrics too much.
  • geechee slim
    geechee slim Members Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    White peoople

They've done the same thing to our music that they've done to our culture: Enslave it, give it drugs, and let it sell itself until we ? each other off.
  • P-Unit Productions
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Corey Gunz is young and all he needs to do is develop his song making ability, Papoose before he fell off could have been the next Nas, he had some of the illest concepts and songs around 2005 and 2006, he just wasted his best material on mixtapes. Juelz I'll give you that, Banks is a talented MC too, he has a nice buzz right now with Beamer, Benz or Bently.

I think there are a few more like Joe Budden, Joell Ortiz, Jugg A Not, Jae Millz, Saigon, Young Chris etc all from the east that are talented.

How long are those artists u just named gonna be "up next"?
  • 7thwardslim
    7thwardslim Members Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    This thread is made 2 times a month........i really do feel everytime this thread is made the best comes out of all poster, after years and years and years of being apart of the IC i can honestly say the poster have matured....and are really starting to get a good dialogue doing on as far a decent convo...... with out making it East vs South

Now i will go in.......

I will say this the Southern market is big market....... and we have love for each other.....we do more building then destroying.... thats 1 of the main reason
    next thing i want to state....every region has there time...... and old saying..... "He who gets the last laugh, always laugh the loudest"... its the south time

also and old African Proverb..... "the emptiest drum always makes the loudest noise"..... i dont know....but for some reason....the whacker the artist the more love he gets
  • 5th Letter
    edited April 2010
    Options
    How long are those artists u just named gonna be "up next"?

Joe Budden still has a chance to be something, Joell Ortiz is new and hasn't dropped an album yet. Saigon, Jugg A Not may never blow up though. Young Chris has a chance to do something.
  • mattee c
    mattee c Members Posts: 693
    edited April 2010
    Options
    If you ask me, the South is not on top of the rap game compared to where we were 10 years ago. 10 years ago, the rappers reppin the South, on a national level, like UGK, Outkast, Eightball & MJG, Scarface, No Limit, Cash Money, Ludacris, etc., were only recognized after years of hard work. These new dudes "reppin" the South, like Gucci Mane, Wacka Flocka Flamin, Soulja Boy, etc., are fly-by-night, flash-in-the-pan, ? who don't even deserve to be called rappers. And their 15 minutes is about up. If these guys were truly representative of all the South has to offer, other regions would have nothing to fear. I'm not worried though, the South still got something to say. Once Bun B, Outkast, Scarface, and even some of the new dudes, like Yelawolf and Rich Boy, drop their upcoming albums, no one will be talking about Gucci and definately not Wacka Flocka. I just hope these older cats don't think they need to collaborate with these clowns to stay relevant. I noticed that Gucci has a guest spot on Big Boi's upcoming album and I can't say I agree with that. Gucci should be featuring Big Boi on his album, not the other way around.
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ..the south as always stayed true to themselves... We did what we do and stayed that way...

We mostly make party music, people like to dance and have fun....they want to unwind when they come from work, happy hour and party

they dont wanna hear all that murda, ? , street stuff that the north was bringing....

Yes, we have alotta one hit wonders, but once one is gone, another one picks up and moves along...

We still have our legends that are still relevant in the game and will still be great at anytime they feel like droping
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    white people didnt ? up hip hop. you did it on your own.
  • StillDreaming
    StillDreaming Members Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ..the south as always stayed true to themselves... We did what we do and stayed that way...

We mostly make party music, people like to dance and have fun....they want to unwind when they come from work, happy hour and party

they dont wanna hear all that murda, ? , street stuff that the north was bringing....

Yes, we have alotta one hit wonders, but once one is gone, another one picks up and moves along...

We still have our legends that are still relevant in the game and will still be great at anytime they feel like droping

Cosign 100%. The eastcoast rappers are the ones not holding up their side of hiphop. Thats why everything seems so lopsided now. The same type of songs that some of you ? claim are killing hiphop were also around in the 90s, you just didnt pay attention to them because of all the good EASTCOAST hiphop that was around back then.
  • Jay107
    Jay107 Members Posts: 164
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The south officially took over in 2003. The east coast was stagnant with their sound and the south offered something new and different for better or worse. So while the south continues to bang out new artist the east is still stuck on that 90's/early 2000's sound, and hoping that it would make a come back. It's not really about the true hip hop heads letting it die, it's more about the powers that be that only wanna focus on pushing certain artists and sounds. The balance that once made mainstream hip hop great is now dead.

i gotta c/s this statement right here...the true southern takeover started with Lil Jon and HE'S A PRODUCER... plus the biggest buzz nyc had was 50 and imo his albums can be repetitive and un-original...he does not have new material and does not come with a fresh way of putting out his music...

[QUOTE=P-Unit Productions;521368]The south has been carrying the whole game post wu-tang, death row, and bad boy era..I know the south has more than a few artists who are garbage, but collectively, what's stopping east coast/west coast aka "true hiphop" from making a comeback? who is "true hiphop" next great hope? because honestly i don't see anyone with the total package to carry the torch from the south....[/QUOTE]

knowing that the wu-tang reign ended when the death row and bad boy era began, when is it that you are saying the south started taking over?...'97-'98?...if this is when you are saying i would have to disagree...like jamaica said the takeover began in '03...that is when you will notice the quality of music being put out mainstream was really lacking...it was beats over lyrics much like it is today...garbage lyrics + average/hot/club beats = most mainstream hip hop from '03-present....

bottom line: mainstream hip hop does not respect many real lyricists...there are a few exceptions but when you see any of these wack non-lyrical rappers outselling a real lyricist, thats when you know hip hop is a sham nowadays...consumers nowadays dont want to think when they are listening to music...they just want a hot beat to blast in the whip...sad but true
  • mattee c
    mattee c Members Posts: 693
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I would say the South's reign at the top started in '97-'98 with No Limit and Cash Money. I guess you could say it reached it's peak in '03 or '04, when people like T.I. and Young Jeezy started gettin recognized.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

First off i personally dont consider hip hop to be dead but i will use the term within the context of this conversation.

They are part of the reason. a very small part but a part nonetheless. and your right, they are not solely or even half the reason. the answer's quite simple. but first ask yourself this question: the same artists who are on top like gucci, souljah boy, and waka, would their core demographic even attempt to try and listen to an up and coming "true hip hop oriented" west coast or east coast artist? esp. considering their current styles respectively without crossing over? i think me and u both know that answer. and see thats another problem. so much blame goes to the artists for releasing the ? music and not enough of it goes to the brain dead fans for buying it
  • your flyness
    your flyness Members Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I also dont consider Hip Hop dead. Rap music may being changing but that is just one music genre in the Lifestyle and culture that is Hip-Hop. Its more to Hip-Hop than just rap.

In my opinion the South "took over" once Hip-Hop/Rap music started become mainstream (i.e being on the soundtrack of Major Hollywood movies, being used in commercial advertisments, used in some form of chilrdrens tv shows). How I see it when Hip-Hop/Rap started it was underground, in the 90's, early 2000's it was more of a sub-culture to America, Now Its mostly accepted by everybody, and being used everywhere. Where the South comes in at, is when Hip-Hop/Rap started becoming more accepted The East was Putting out mostly Thugging "Grimey" music and the West was putting out mostly Gangbanging music, the South was Mostly dropping Dancing Partying Music, and if its one thing every race can come together and agree with in America is getting ? up and Partying. So naturually the powers the control the radio and videos push for more of that music, because everybody black and white loves party/club music.