How did the South take over Hip-hop, and how did "True" Hip-hop let it die?

Options

Comments

• Shootin At A Cop Car
    Shootin At A Cop Car Members Posts: 77
    edited April 2010
    Options
    BIGRuss wrote: »
    true hip hop was never mainstream. ? has been on the radio since day one. nothing has changed. pop rap has never been a factor in my life, whether it was the east coast, west coast or down south. i dont care where you are from. ? music is ? music. the south can have mtv, bet and the radio.

MoreEpicFAIL.jpg

LMAO

and this man speaks the truth, ? yall ? watchin mtv for anyway? that ? is for 14yo girls
  • Pelly Adams
    Pelly Adams Members Posts: 52
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    The south ran with the east coast style imo (wayne,ti,luda,etc) and the fact that there are no respectable up and coming NY rappers, just some mixtape ? . Oh yeah, Jay-z retiring in 03 open up the lane for alot of ? and no one from NY jumped at the opportunity.

nah, luda is straight southern style with it....and wayne is just a junkie on a mic being high rapping gibbersh...most def ain't east coast..unless, ny rappers get on mics speaking about martians and "man's ? ".
  • tompetrez3
    tompetrez3 Members Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    The south ran with the east coast style imo (wayne,ti,luda,etc) and the fact that there are no respectable up and coming NY rappers, just some mixtape ? . Oh yeah, Jay-z retiring in 03 open up the lane for alot of ? and no one from NY jumped at the opportunity.

niggar please. 50 and Nas pushed Jay Z into retirement. 50 sold 11 million in 2003. and nelly/em did 7 and 8 million respectively the year before. Jay Z retired because he was washed up and couldnt keep up in a young mans game.
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    This thread is made 2 times a month........i really do feel everytime this thread is made the best comes out of all poster, after years and years and years of being apart of the IC i can honestly say the poster have matured....and are really starting to get a good dialogue doing on as far a decent convo...... with out making it East vs South

Now i will go in.......

I will say this the Southern market is big market....... and we have love for each other.....we do more building then destroying.... thats 1 of the main reason
    next thing i want to state....every region has there time...... and old saying..... "He who gets the last laugh, always laugh the loudest"... its the south time

also and old African Proverb..... "the emptiest drum always makes the loudest noise"..... i dont know....but for some reason....the whacker the artist the more love he gets

C/S 100%

I think the MAIN reason the south dominates is because of the unity that we not only show, but put into practice. Prime example...ATL artists....although there may be little beefs here and there for the most part all of the artists from that region do business together, feature on each other songs, etc. You dont see that in the other regions mentioned especially from the NY cats. Also, the hate and disrespect the south gets as a whole is motivation enough for us to say "? yall, we gon do us"

And last but not least, HIP HOP was started on the strength of the party and having fun and IMO the south took the basics and ran with it........
  • redranger1
    redranger1 Members Posts: 59
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lol threadstarter knew people wouldnt be able to comprehend this question
  • KarolinaKid
    KarolinaKid Members Posts: 203
    edited April 2010
    Options
    smh at the term "hip hop is dead" because that is just dumb hip-hop is very alive and livin just because it isnt based in new york nomore people wanna get mad. it seems like the only people that have a problem with the south is the same regoion that is always caught up in some beef ish. its obvious yall jus mad at the south because we on top he south has hip hop on lock yall are forgetting that hip hop is more then jus lyrics yes the radio is dominate by southern radio friendly songs but doesnt that make since? the south has rappers that fit into every category of hip hop and the all get shine while other regions tend to cater to just one style. The South is the most diverse region which is the reason why its the best and is dominating hiphop.......can we jus give credit where credit is due plus if u dont like southern music stop listening to it, stop complainng about it and support the artist you like so maybe they're motivated to release more material
  • Shootin At A Cop Car
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Its funny how this forum has threads complaining about 'real hiphop' being dead, yet its full of Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj and Wacka Flocka threads.
  • ambiguous1
    ambiguous1 Members Posts: 1,166 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    cuz they all in their mid to late 30's...hip hop was/still is a young man's music...

well then tell themn young men to step their ? games up.

Up and comers are weak and way overrsaturated
  • Ajax McJones
    Ajax McJones Members Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Its funny how this forum has threads complaining about 'real hiphop' being dead, yet its full of Lil Wayne, Nicki Minaj and Wacka Flocka threads.

co-sign but i dont think that anyone here can really call themselves a fan of wacka, but if you find one , please point him out to me
  • Ajax McJones
    Ajax McJones Members Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ambiguous1 wrote: »
    They took over mainstream hip hop and the radio and mtv and ? , which is controlled by corporations... as long as they continue to make dance jingles and unthought provoking music they'll continue to "take over hip hop on the mainstream level" That's why you have NY rappers that make that music and they put on top... it's sure not talent. It's able to make a song where someone can justify it's wackness by saying it bumps in the whip or it knocks in teh club

i mean i dont hear much trick daddy, cunninglyguists, Outkast, 3 6 mafia, Scarface on the radio...

trick daddy is ? .
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    trick daddy is ? .

ID gladly take Trick over the ? thats coming Out in the Radio now/...........
  • damnkp
    damnkp Members Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    it's simple..the south is so big that we don't need the support of the east or west coast...on the other hand them ? can't blow up with out us.
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    o lets do it...
  • Shootin At A Cop Car
    edited April 2010
    Options
    damnkp wrote: »
    it's simple..the south is so big that we don't need the support of the east or west coast...on the other hand them ? can't blow up with out us.

yup, especially NY rappers. Cali rappers still make alot of money in the underground scene without ever blowing up. They do go down south alot though to promote n sell they ? .
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited April 2010
    Options
    its over for everybody but the South
  • krow132
    krow132 Members Posts: 1,033 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Hip Hop is dead is what people say when they wanna sound deep , smart, and knowledgeable about hip hop. most of the time
  • Pretty Fred
    Pretty Fred Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Until the south gets credit for something other than putting out horrible music I don't wanna hear this "south runs hip-hop bullsh*t"

the jokes on you.....
  • Pretty Fred
    Pretty Fred Members Posts: 1,007 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    krow132 wrote: »
    Hip Hop is dead is what people say when they wanna sound deep , smart, and knowledgeable about hip hop. most of the time

Or when they turn on the radio.
  • ItzGravitation
    edited April 2010
    Options

add on
    or when they fav rapper aint gettiin no shine
  • krow132
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Or when they turn on the radio.

truth is truth. In 1998 ? was saying that ? .

how much people u know right now that go to the radio as their main source of music. Or how much people you know listen to the radio outside of their cars.
  • krow132
    edited April 2010
    Options
    add on
    or when they fav rapper aint gettiin no shine

or when they want to create controversy to move units.

talking to you Nas
  • ItzGravitation
    edited April 2010
    Options
    or when they want to create controversy to move units.

talking to you Nas

c/s
    ? had already said it but alot of ? wasnt agreeing til Nas said it
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    the south is the only coast with Nuts in the game now, the eastcoast just died out like a bad perm
  • KarolinaKid
    KarolinaKid Members Posts: 203
    edited April 2010
    Options
    c/s
    ? had already said it but alot of ? wasnt agreeing til Nas said it

word killa mike been said it but ? werent sayin it till nas said it jus cuh dey all followers which is a reason the south on top cuh they more diverse
  • CTYO
    CTYO Members Posts: 407
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Gucci, Souljah Boy, and Waka can't be the reason........................

Scarface, UGK, OUTKAST, Ludacris (sometimes), TI, J.cole, Little brother, Clipse..... yeah I know what was hip hop thinking letting these muthafuckas in? ( a heavy amount of sarcasm)