As An NFL Fan It Pains Me To See

Options
blackrain
blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
Week after week players somehow forget to wrap up when tackling and try to just launch at a player, they miss or the player bounces off and runs for an extra 10 yards. Do players just forget that ? once they hit the NFL level? Every week I see at least 4-5 plays per game where a player just misses on a tackle because they refuse to wrap and give up a first down or extra yardage

Comments

• greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The NFL defensive equivalent to missing a layup in the NBA. I feel you.

But it's also because they got away with that "hit stick" tackling in college. No matter what conference you played in or what team you played for, the average college team only plays 3 or 4 top-notch teams a year in college. And the best team you play will only have 4 or 5 NFL caliber players on the offense TOPS (lineman included.)

So what works on a 19 year old running back that will be P.E. teacher in 3 years won't work on Adrian Peterson in the league.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its the new rules fault
    Reed stay doing this BS
  • blackrain
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Mad Jack wrote: »
    Its the new rules fault
    Reed stay doing this BS

The new rules actually favor wrapping over just trying to blast a player...I prefer it because it's the best way to make a tackle...arm tackle and just diving in the direction of the player doesn't work...at the very moment Alfred Morries just ran in a TD against the Eagles because they dove at his feet instead of trying to actually hit him and he just ran past their hands lol
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Players b trying to give them that lil should tackle like Reed but you make good points
  • blackjack2012
    blackjack2012 Members Posts: 4,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its the new rules fault
    Reed stay doing this BS
    Reed is the woat at tackling
  • P swayze166
    P swayze166 Members Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the peyton manning colts teams were some of the poorest tackling teams I ever saw....damn near took 6 guys each play to get a guy down. they were atrocious.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    <-- Redskin fan

I don't feel sorry at all for Cowboy and Giants fans haha

can't relate to this thread at all
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    Any Giants fans wanna jump on the Skins wagon next week?
  • blackrain
    Options
    <-- Redskin fan

I don't feel sorry at all for Cowboy and Giants fans haha

can't relate to this thread at all

You're right...after having been in the ? for 2+ decades and having a QB war between John Beck and Rex Grossman last year your level of sadness as a football fan is at levels we can't imagine @blakfyahking
  • rage
    rage Members Posts: 5,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    Week after week players somehow forget to wrap up when tackling and try to just launch at a player, they miss or the player bounces off and runs for an extra 10 yards. Do players just forget that ? once they hit the NFL level? Every week I see at least 4-5 plays per game where a player just misses on a tackle because they refuse to wrap and give up a first down or extra yardage

I have never understood how NFL caliber players get away with not wrapping up. I see at least 30 to 50 yards a game being given up by this ? . And its literally every team that has players that do this.
  • plocc
    plocc Members Posts: 921 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Refs flagging defensive players for good clean hits just cause the offensive players head snaps back. Like the hit that put Vernon Davis out yesterday. They showed the replay in slo-mo and it was just a good clean hit.
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2012
    Options
    Its the new rules fault
    Reed stay doing this BS

I wanna no-sign this...but

reeddown.gif

we got whipped and REED The GOAT but DHB left him there and took off for a 67yard TD
  • _Menace_
    Options
    _Menace_ wrote: »
    Its the new rules fault
    Reed stay doing this BS

I wanna no-sign this...but

reeddown.gif

we got whipped and REED The GOAT but DHB left him there and took off for a 67yard TD
  • _Menace_
    edited December 2012
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cosign this thread. ? looks terrible watching these players miss what should be easy tackles. About the only player than consistently wraps up correctly is Ray Lewis.
  • greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Cosign this thread. ? looks terrible watching these players miss what should be easy tackles. About the only player than consistently wraps up correctly is Ray Lewis.

A linebacker that can't wrap up is like a wideout that can't catch.