It's crazy how Jay's the only NY rapper that never fell off

Options

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? ? me with sales don't matter, but be the first ones to say their favorite artist don't get no promotion.

Just like how a Grammy doesn't matter, then ? when their favorites don't win one.

[img]http://alltheragefaces.com/img/faces/large/laughing-? -that-? -l.png[/img]
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? you're a clown if you think I give a flying ? about NaS' record sales . .

That's for him, his agents and Def Jam to worry about. It ain't my pocket.

You bring up the Grammys but check out past winners of 'Album Of The Year'. Some of 'em hardly went gold talk less of platinum.

Jay Z selling tons of records than NaS is not an indication in the slightest of him being a better rapper than NaS

You're so clothed and caped out defending Jay Z its pitiful
  • KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    Wild Self wrote: »
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    LMAO @ NaS being a "b-list rapper" when the 'Life Is Good' thread was (one of if not) the most viewed on this sub-forum last year . .

Jigga can sell out venues in minutes, good for him but I'm still waiting on that next solo album

lol at this ? using thread views as a criteria.

Nas last album sold 300k, Jay last album sold 2 mil domestically.

2009 to 2012 is like black and white. Nicki Minaj can't go plat in 2012 and that was rap's highest selling album. Waka barely cracked 100k. Jay's next solo will barely pass 600k overall.
    LMAO @ NaS being a "b-list rapper" when the 'Life Is Good' thread was (one of if not) the most viewed on this sub-forum last year . .

Jigga can sell out venues in minutes, good for him but I'm still waiting on that next solo album

2009 to 2012 is like black and white. Nicki Minaj can't go plat in 2012 and that was rap's highest selling album. Waka barely cracked 100k. Jay's next solo will barely pass 600k overall.

LOL so we're gonna act like WTT did not sell over 1.5 mil. We're gonna act like ? in Paris did not go 3x platinum, Otis platinum, No church in the wild gold.

Stop it, Jay will easily platinum again clown ass ? . You acting like he doesn't consistently sell out 20k arenas all over the country. Unlike that ? Nas, Jay knows how to keep the fans attention and reinvent himself.

you don't eat from jay's sales and packed arenas. that great for jay but why do you care? would you stop listening to jay-z if he couldn't sell out 20k arenas?

I don't care, but you Nausear stans clearly do, that's why ya'll always talking about Jay selling out like he didn't come into the game on some flashy ? .

when did i say jay sold out? it's not just nas fans who think jay sold out, a lot of old non stanning jay fans think he's a sell out too. you clearly care about jay's stats, as you brought them up in this thread. you feel more comfortable being a fan of jay's music because of his money, business ventures and popularity, that's obvious.

you're the last person who should even type the word stan. i remember somebody made thread about nas being the first to have 3 number one solo albums in different decades and you came caping for jay talking about watch the throne is a solo album. lol

• DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

LOL so we're gonna act like WTT did not sell over 1.5 mil. We're gonna act like ? in Paris did not go 3x platinum, Otis platinum, No church in the wild gold.

Stop it, Jay will easily platinum again clown ass ? . You acting like he doesn't consistently sell out 20k arenas all over the country. Unlike that ? Nas, Jay knows how to keep the fans attention and reinvent himself.

you don't eat from jay's sales and packed arenas. that great for jay but why do you care? would you stop listening to jay-z if he couldn't sell out 20k arenas?

Don't try to talk no logic to this fool. He just got thru tellin me EURO jay caters to ? more than a ? that did an album with a marley and a ? that raps all the time about indulging in african roots. ? gonna try to tell me the demographics "I SAW" when I seen them live like the concert footage he post gonna mean something. Jay got a perminate Tea Bag for this ? . Its hard to be objective when a ? is that far down a mans throat
  • jayvon32
    jayvon32 Members Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Nas discography

Illmatic - Platinum
    It was Written - 2x Platinum
    I AM - 2x Platinum
    Nastradamus - Platinum
    Stillmatic - 2x Platinum
    ? Son - Platinum
    Street Disciple - Platinum
    Hip Hop is Dead - GOLD (conceptual album)
    Untitled - Gold (conceptual album)
    Life is Good - 350k sold so far

Lets look at the highest selling albums of 2012 so far

Nicki Minaj- Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded (777,000)

Kendrick Lamar Good Kid Mad City (540,000)

Rick Ross- "? Forgives, I Don't" (438,000)

2 Chainz- Based On A T.R.U Story (428,000)

Nas - Life is Good (350,000)

Tyga- Careless World: Rise Of The Last King (305,254)

Meek Mills - Dreams and Nightmares (283,000)

Maybach Music Group: Self Made Vol. 2 (242,924)

B.O.B- Strange Clouds (237,361)

Future- Pluto (188,700)

Slaughterhouse- Welcome To Our House (146,000)

Macklemore & Ryan Lewis- The Heist (134,000)

Lupe Fiasco- Food & Liquor 2 (127,600)

Lacrae- Gravity (126,900)

Big K.R.I.T- Live From The Underground (91,530)

Waka Flocka Flame- Tripple F Life (91,471)

DJ Khaled- Kiss The Ring (80,054)

^^^^^

Yeah Nas is flopping hard at #5....damn he is irrelevant

Some of yall ? really taking this ? to heart. I'm a fan of both artist (Jay z and Nas) To keep it authentic, Nas has always been that type of rapper who never completely embraced the commercial field. He had commercial records but most of the time he kinda stuck to doing him. Jay on the other hand always was always grooming himself to become a commercial rapper since In My Lifetime.

My definition of relevancy is how you are respected and known within your genre and community. What rapper doesnt know about Nas and show mad respect from him. THis is from new to old, so in a way he is highly relevant plus all his albums are either Platinum or Gold. I can name a few artist who are supposedly hot right now who cant say the same about their sales. Ross has platinum singles but all his albums are GOLD and he is the hottest out. So would you say he is irrelevant because of that. So why say that about Nas.

If nas really wanted to go commercial and become Platinum again, I believe it can be done since there isnt a artist right now (hot or not) who wouldnt jump at the chance to do a album with him
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never ceases to amaze that on a Hip Hop site posters get to discussing Money, Fame, and awards. There are to many Hip Hop pretenders out here.
  • a_list
    a_list Members Posts: 4,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yo, sun has to be putting on a show.....If posters are getting percentages of rappers royalties, where is that sign up list, yo?.....lol..I understand bigging cats up, giving props but damn!! like yo what has jay's money done for you to be this invested in it..this ? is an act b......lol....has to be
  • Hero!387
    Hero!387 Members Posts: 59
    Options
    Not selling records doesn't necessarily mean you fell off. Nas doesn't sell millions like he used to because he doesn't try to pander to the masses. He's not concerned with "the rap game" he's concerned with pushing the limits of his creativity and craft. Stillmatic, ? 's Son, Street's Disciple, Hip Hop Is Dead, (untitled), and Distant Relatives are all releases nearly completely void of any attempts to please all sides of the fence. Nas didn't fall off, he was real enough to not give a ? about the fake love and walk away to make real music.
  • Hero!387
    Hero!387 Members Posts: 59
    Options
    Jay-Z's music has been stale for years now. American Gangster was extremely impressive, a testament to how talented he really is but he usually limits his own talent to maintain pop culture relevancy. He's made the same album a few times Kingdom Come, The Blueprint 2 & The Blueprint 3 are all pretty much recycled versions of the same project and Watch The Throne is the worst of them all, the sloppiest, most pointless thing I've heard in some time.
  • usmarin3
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Hero!387 wrote: »
    Not selling records doesn't necessarily mean you fell off. Nas doesn't sell millions like he used to because he doesn't try to pander to the masses. He's not concerned with "the rap game" he's concerned with pushing the limits of his creativity and craft. Stillmatic, ? 's Son, Street's Disciple, Hip Hop Is Dead, (untitled), and Distant Relatives are all releases nearly completely void of any attempts to please all sides of the fence. Nas didn't fall off, he was real enough to not give a ? about the fake love and walk away to make real music.

Then what do you call this? Blatant crossover attempts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2de0RBcqiE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xvcXkKzd7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6903zFUIxoU

You ? are the biggest hypocrites ever and conveniently turn a blind eye to ? that contradicts your stance.
  • Ayo Hoodie
    Ayo Hoodie Members Posts: 12
    Options
    Jay Z fell off but he still kind of nice.
  • usmarin3
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Jay-Z's music has been stale for years now. American Gangster was extremely impressive, a testament to how talented he really is but he usually limits his own talent to maintain pop culture relevancy. He's made the same album a few times Kingdom Come, The Blueprint 2 & The Blueprint 3 are all pretty much recycled versions of the same project and Watch The Throne is the worst of them all, the sloppiest, most pointless thing I've heard in some time.

Blueprint2 and 3 is no worse than mediocre ass Street Disciple and Hiphop is Dead. Distant Relatives was audio Nyquil, Damien Marley bodied that ? on the whole album, especially on Patience.
  • KeepinItHundred
    KeepinItHundred Members Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭
    Options

Blueprint2 and 3 is no worse than mediocre ass Street Disciple and Hiphop is Dead. Distant Relatives was audio Nyquil, Damien Marley bodied that ? on the whole album, especially on Patience.

not worse, but just as bad.

nas was better than damien on leaders and land of promise. the rest damien was better on but damien will always sound better than an ny rapper on african and jamaican instrumentals. damien would body jay for a whole album too.(gasp).
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Then what do you call this? Blatant crossover attempts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2de0RBcqiE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xvcXkKzd7Y

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6903zFUIxoU

You ? are the biggest hypocrites ever and conveniently turn a blind eye to ? that contradicts your stance.

Industry business that's what it is. Nas didn't do it to gain acceptance from the White audience...like your idol do.
  • Reggie80
    Reggie80 Members Posts: 2,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @usmarin3 I have a couple of questions for you bruh are you saying nas is wack?

If Nas and Jay never got into it would you feel the same way about Nas?

Why did you skip past @a_list post cause that ? seems too make alot of sense!
  • ohhhla
    ohhhla Members Posts: 10,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nas can't pander to masses.

You Nas stans think he can but he can't.

You think he chooses not to go platinum or gold.

Like he's putting it out for free and acclaim.
  • jayvon32
    jayvon32 Members Posts: 913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was all good just a few pages ago...went from most of NY rappers falling off to Nas Vs Jay-Z...

Since most people consider sales a measurement of success and relevancy, i posted the numbers and by today sales climate, Nas is doing exceptionally well. So that argument is done.

If you want to make the argument that Nas sells less than Jay, i got a secret....about 90% of artist now sold less than Jay. So that argument makes no sense..You probably can count on one hand a artist who can sell more than Jay.

Both artist influence the current generation heavily...both artist can come out with a record and still receive a warm reception. Jay-z has more power and music is more ingrained into pop culture so of course he is going to sell.

Props on both artist for still being able to sell more units than most of the new artist, and they been in the game over 10 years

Can't we just all agree they are both relevant in their own way
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2013
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »

See It Was Written and I Am to refute your 1st statement.

Nas "chooses" to put crossover singles on his albums because we all seemed to forget that this is still a business and he has to "play the game" for the dumb downed audience out there for those that fiend for radio-friendly singles to sing along, dance along etc., but in a way Nas has to put something into it to maintain some creativity because Hip Hop is still an art.

Nas has gotten to a point where he realizes his music ain't for the dumb-downed whereas Jay don't mind dumbing to double his dollars and audience to the point now his lyrical exercises gotten somewhat flabby and sick...but at least he admitted it.

And let's not forgot Jay can go platinum easily nowadays...as long as Kanye's in the mix.
  • usmarin3
    Options
    Reggie80 wrote: »
    @usmarin3 I have a couple of questions for you bruh are you saying nas is wack?

If Nas and Jay never got into it would you feel the same way about Nas?

Why did you skip past @a_list post cause that ? seems too make alot of sense!

LOL in all honesty, i think Nas is the second goat rapper behind Jay.

What i can't stand is his holier than now stan base, like Nas don't be on that materialistic and objectifying women ? too. I can name tons of Nas songs where he is rapping about ice, ? , money,etc.

I'm gonna tell you dusty ass Jansport wearing ? something, your taste is not better than anyone else, your knowledge is not more extensive than anyone else, etc. You ? are stuck in 1994 and ya'll need to stop being hypocrites by criticizing others for what Nas gets away with.

Ya'll are some music snobs and nerds, no different than Indy rock fans.
  • usmarin3
    edited January 2013
    Options
    LOL at bringing up It Was Written, like it wasn't Lauryn Hill and Trackmasters who crossed him over.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The marines as a whole lost.
  • usmarin3
    Options

bet you wouldn't go up to one and say that, female or male in your case.
  • bankrupt baller
    bankrupt baller Members Posts: 12,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

bet you wouldn't go up to one and say that, female or male in your case.

actually i work with one....he seen your posts and immediately accepted his L
  • starvin
    starvin Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The stannery in this thread is slightly disturbing
  • CoolJoe
    CoolJoe Members Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ohhhla wrote: »

See It Was Written and I Am to refute your 1st statement.

Nas "chooses" to put crossover singles on his albums because we all seemed to forget that this is still a business and he has to "play the game" for the dumb downed audience out there for those that fiend for radio-friendly singles to sing along, dance along etc., but in a way Nas has to put something into it to maintain some creativity because Hip Hop is still an art.

Nas has gotten to a point where he realizes his music ain't for the dumb-downed whereas Jay don't mind dumbing to double his dollars and audience to the point now his lyrical exercises gotten somewhat flabby and sick...but at least he admitted it.

And let's not forgot Jay can go platinum easily nowadays...as long as Kanye's in the mix.

Jay could drop a solo album with no Kanye on it this year and it would go platinum.
    I don't understand why ? think Jay isn't as commercially viable as he is, always giving credit to everyone but him for his consistent sales.