Substantial: Home is Where the Art is (2012)

Options
RuffDraft
RuffDraft Members, Writer Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2012 in The Essence
Substantial is an early 2000 favourite of mine and others here; appearing on Nujabes albums and making memorable storytelling tracks such as Eclipse or literally doing as the track says on 'Blessing It' and countless others.

In 2012, Substantial dropped on Mello Music Group (best label of 2012) with Home is Where the Art is. Despite being largely overlooked, this proved to be one of Substantial's best efforts to date. With Sacrifice being a creative but forgetful take in this posters eyes and the Nujabes produced 'To This Union A Sun Was Born' being a more memorable debut, it's great to see Substantial being blessed with production from the likes of Oddisee, who offers a beat reminiscent of Nujabes himself. After all, the two stuck together like glue as an unformidable duo and so it's great to see the same chemistry brewing with one of 2012s best producers and artists.

'Home is Where the Art is' has solid production and rhymes and is not to be missed. After checking it out, I can honestly say it's a top 10 release of the year and potentially a lot higher. Substantial's name continues to live on as his name suggests.

Comments

• ILL_Anvers
    ILL_Anvers Members Posts: 176 ✭✭
    Options
    I checked it today. It's aight but i'm not really impressed or anything.
    I was excited after hearing the "check my resume" track and i really liked him on the nujabes stuff as well but it seems like it's just an average album imo.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    ILL_Anvers wrote: »
    I checked it today. It's aight but i'm not really impressed or anything.
    I was excited after hearing the "check my resume" track and i really liked him on the nujabes stuff as well but it seems like it's just an average album imo.

Props on checking out the release…

'Check My Resume' is probably my favourite track as well; Odd's so gifted on the beats. I find the album highly listenable though but that might be because I liked chilled hip hop and Odd's beats.

He's certainly no O.C. on the mic and he needs to be more reflective, but from what I've heard this year, it stands up quite well.
  • ILL_Anvers
    Options
    I agree, it's definetely listenable. Smooth beats and substantial's raps are solid but if you look at the album as a whole, it doesn't really offer that much imo. It does stand up quite well to most of the other 2012 releases indeed.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I actually had no Idea this came out.

Will check when i find a link or something. I aint really heard to much of substantial besides Nujabes and when he used to work with Tonedeff and PackFM all the time. Dudes dope.
  • RuffDraft
    Options
    I agree, it's definetely listenable. Smooth beats and substantial's raps are solid but if you look at the album as a whole, it doesn't really offer that much imo. It does stand up quite well to most of the other 2012 releases indeed.

Yeah, it might be a grower, apart from that, I definitely agree… I find most of Substantial's catalogue is overlooked by most (including myself), as it's different; yet this album's reached #1 on a hip hop album's list this year - see cultures clothing blog (I know it doesn't sound hip hop oriented).

Here's their top ten album's of the year:

1) “Home Is Where The Art Is” – Substantial
    2) “First Of A Living Breed” – Homeboy Sandman
    3) “3″ – Typical Cats
    4) “Give Me My Flowers While I Can Still Smell Them” – Blu & Exile
    5) “Skelethon” – Aesop Rock
    6) -”The Idea of Beautiful” – Rapsody
    7) “Detroit Revolutions” – Clear Soul Forces
    8) ”Trophies” – O.C. & Apollo Brown
    9) -”Magna Carta” – Melanin 9
    10) ”Control System” – Ab-Soul

So it's definitely hitting some people's lists… don't know how you put this above Trophies though *Confused*. Nevertheless, that's what made me check the album in the first place.

He's definitely outstanding on the mic when he wants to be, but I agree that he doesn't seem to carry it for the entire albums that he does… IMO too.
    Lou Cypher wrote: »

Will check when i find a link or something. I aint really heard to much of substantial besides Nujabes and when he used to work with Tonedeff and PackFM all the time. Dudes dope.

Yeah, Tonedeff's I haven't checked for either…. SMH. I'm going to check back over 2012 and up my A-Game on it.
  • ILL_Anvers
    Options
    RuffDraft wrote: »

Yeah, it might be a grower, apart from that, I definitely agree… I find most of Substantial's catalogue is overlooked by most (including myself), as it's different; yet this album's reached #1 on a hip hop album's list this year - see cultures clothing blog (I know it doesn't sound hip hop oriented).

3) “3″ – Typical Cats

So it's definitely hitting some people's lists… don't know how you put this above Trophies though *Confused*. Nevertheless, that's what made me check the album in the first place.

He's definitely outstanding on the mic when he wants to be, but I agree that he doesn't seem to carry it for the entire albums that he does… IMO too.

Yeah, Tonedeff's I haven't checked for either…. SMH. I'm going to check back over 2012 and up my A-Game on it.

That's not a bad list but damn, trophies at 8 and Sub at 1, that's kinda pushing it.
    But it's also a matter of taste, i guess. I'm a huge apollo brown fan so maybe i'm bias.
    Anyway, i'll definetely listen to "home is where the art is" some more, it might grow on me.
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2013
    Options

3) “3″ – Typical Cats

That's not a bad list but damn, trophies at 8 and Sub at 1, that's kinda pushing it.
    But it's also a matter of taste, i guess. I'm a huge apollo brown fan so maybe i'm bias.
    Anyway, i'll definetely listen to "home is where the art is" some more, it might grow on me.

That's what I thought haha

Same, Apollo's just about as good as anyone today. Have you checked Dice Game with Guilty Simpson? What did you think of that release?
  • ILL_Anvers
    Options

3) “3″ – Typical Cats

Same, Apollo's just about as good as anyone today. Have you checked Dice Game with Guilty Simpson? What did you think of that release?

Awesome album. It seems like so many peepz is sleepin' on that album? I've been bumping that ? on the regular since the release. In my 2012 top 10 no doubt.
  • Lou Cypher
    edited January 2013
    Options
    @Ruffdraft

Tone hasnt released anything since Archetype. There was a compilation album of his features released. Then Kno Posted this long ass post about "Chico and The Man" back in 2011. Last i heard he was supposed to drop in 2012. But nothing happened.

here kno's Post.

Since Chico & The Man was “announced” in 2003 I have overseen 16 different releases—producing and mixing them in full, rapping on some, even mastering them and doing all of the graphic design for them in some cases. I’ve reluctantly taken beats from Chico & The Man and placed them elsewhere during this process (Things I Dream, The Gates, Embers, etc.) for the sake of putting out the best quality music for the fans. Hell, at the risk of sounding melodramatic I’ve watched my dedication to music crush personal relationships and allow my health to crumble as I, like you, have waited for this album to come to fruition. Music is what I love, this is what I do for a living and when it comes to delivering for our fans I don’t ? around—my output reflects it.

I want this album to exist in your world as much as you do, but I refuse to allow something that I could eventually be the most proud of to A: become the bane of my existence in a pit of regret and B: not get heard by as many people as possible while it mires in some dark, dusty corner of iTunes.

That is why Chico & The Man will not be dropping in December and from this point forward won’t even be discussed or have questions about it entertained until I hold a finished product in my hand that I am 100% happy with. December release was contingent on it being unceremoniously “dropped” digitally on iTunes and Bandcamp just for the sake of getting the monkey off of our backs, but after sitting with the record I simply can’t have that happen now. Tonedeff is one of my best friends and I have no intention on throwing him under the bus—but I waited patiently while the brilliant writing on this record got to marinate, grow and take shape over the course of nearly 6 years and I feel it is simply unfair for the mixing & promotion process to be granted a few months, especially with such great distribution and promo opportunities on the table that we’d have to pass on otherwise. Even Matt Hobbs had nearly 2 years to work on the video for “1000 Ships”—I feel that the rest of these things deserve more than 2 months. You deserve it. The album deserves it. Our fans have shown a level of dedication to a record that only existed in theory that I truly appreciate—I want it to be available outside of the internet, I want it to be available on vinyl, I want you to actually hear about it outside of QN5.com.

A little while before the release date was announced I was about as close as you can come to just scrapping the entire project out of sheer frustration and resentment—I was tired of talking about it on tour, tired of making excuses for it, tired of it stressing me out, tired of the strain it was putting on my friendship with Tone but most of all I was tired of sitting on this awesome thing and feeling completely handcuffed. Reconciling my creative process with Tone’s hasn’t been easy, but I realize now that people do need to hear it and it has to be given the care & effort that 8 years of work deserves. No more “clues”, no more teasers, no more questions, no more anything until I am happy with not only the finished product but also the distribution, promotion and reach in place to make sure everyone who should hear it does hear it.

I know that I have deferred all questions and comments about this album to Tonedeff for the past 3-4 years, but the record is in my hands now and the decision to push it is mine and mine alone. I’ve only had two release dates pushed back ever—APOS thanks to a label snafu and Death Is Silent due to Souljah Boy—and both irritated the ? out of me, but this is the best move here and it simply has to be done. Hopefully the 3 albums I’ve dropped in the past 12 months can tide you over a little bit longer—they’re pretty dope, too.

Thanks
    Kno

he then teases us with a pic of the tracklist so far.

2ue46sz.jpg

Then nothing more is announced. Ever.
  • RuffDraft
    Options

3) “3″ – Typical Cats

Awesome album. It seems like so many peepz is sleepin' on that album? I've been bumping that ? on the regular since the release. In my 2012 top 10 no doubt.

Yeah, highly slept on because Apollo's name still doesn't bring the crowds that it should and Guilty isn't rated as highly as the album suggests. Great to see some beats from Clouds make the cut, as was the case with O.C. It's amazing how much rappers get hold of great albums (Clouds) and reach out, when fans seem to sleep on the quality. Good thing really. Definitely one of the best releases of 2012, been thinking of adding it to my sig, as I did make a thread on it a while ago. But it's 2013 now lol.

2013 should wipe the floor with 2012 though, The Roots alone will smash it home (I expect). 2012 greatly missed them and Black Thought's verse of the year lol.
    @Ruffdraft

Tone hasnt released anything since Archetype. There was a compilation album of his features released. Then Kno Posted this long ass post about "Chico and The Man" back in 2011. Last i heard he was supposed to drop in 2012. But nothing happened.

@Lou I followed that album like crazy (Chico and the Man); think I'd still be following them on MySpace if I actually still had the account lol. It's a shame that Tone's not dropped; for some reason, I had it in my head that he was dropping this year… I actually copped that album he dropped last but found it very miscued because of the many years that it stemmed. Didn't that drop in 2011? I remember getting it as it was a double disc with some unreleased material. Never bumped it enough. It's a shame we won't see Chico & The Man. I think it's a largely forgotten project.

I just hope CunninLynguists drop more than a mixtape in 2013.
  • Lou Cypher
    Options
    Yeah Chico and the Man is going to come out supposedly. They are just waiting for distribution and label ? it sounds like. and perfecting the sound. the 2 songs they released were dope as ? tho. Tonedeff is starting to release music but hes going to be singing and not rapping. Not real excited about that but hopefully he gets some buzz up for them to release Chico.
  • ILL_Anvers
    Options
    Looking forward to that chico project but other than that, i don't really know what to expect from 2013...
  • RuffDraft
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Yeah Chico and the Man is going to come out supposedly. They are just waiting for distribution and label ? it sounds like. and perfecting the sound. the 2 songs they released were dope as ? tho. Tonedeff is starting to release music but hes going to be singing and not rapping. Not real excited about that but hopefully he gets some buzz up for them to release Chico.

For a whole year though? This album was already getting Detox references about 3 years ago lol.

Shame, he's not a bad singer though… fingers crossed we get to see it!!!
    Looking forward to that chico project but other than that, i don't really know what to expect from 2013...

Here's a look at a mixed mainstream/underground notables list of potential discs dropping this year, forgive any wrongly-named projects:

The Roots – …And Then You Shoot Your Cousin (I CANNOT WAIT FOR THIS!)
    Q-Tip – The Last Zulu
    Talib Kweli – Prisoner of Conscious
    Kanye West – Cruel Winter
    Pusha T – My Name Is My Name
    J. Cole – Born Sinner
    Kenn Starr – Two Track Mind
    Freddie Gibbs and Madlib- ? Piñata
    Sadistik - Flowers
    Danny Brown- Old
    Dead Prez - Information Age
    Pharoahe Monch - P.T.S.D. (Although it's an EP)

Supposedly the Wu are getting back for their last studio album too… other than this, I have to say, I don't know many others who are set to drop. But The Foreign Exchange seem to have something in the works (I follow Nic on Facebook) and you'd expect a lot of the 2011 album artists to come back and I'd expect that Fashawn will finally drop his sophomore this year.