Who's the better overall artist. Pac or Jay-Z?

Options

Comments

• tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yes he does
    someone already said Pac has one claasic and we all know jay has 4 at the least and 5 at the most

Another Fool ass poster said that......................jay dont have No damn 4 5 Classic ALbums
  • thesynthesis
    thesynthesis Members Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    damn you know Crips?
    awesome
    anyway yeah Jay has more classic albums than Pac

pac's me against the world ? on all of jays albums

all eyes on me ? on jays albums

makaveli album ? on jays albums

jay got bp and rd....he peaked on bp

2 classics

pac got 3 classics....4 if u count AEOM as 2 albums
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited April 2010
    Options
    tri3w wrote: »
    Another Fool ass poster said that......................jay dont have No damn 4 5 Classic ALbums

yes he does
    he got number one albums for a reason
    and Pac didnt have ? on the mic but portraying a life he never lived
    one(if that) classic album
    Jay has 11 number one albums, 4-5 classic and no ? albums
    dude has a better career than Pac had and could have hoped to have
    in todays Hip Hop Pac would be flopping like a fish out of water
  • tri3w
    edited April 2010
    Options
    pac's me against the world ? on all of jays albums

all eyes on me ? on jays albums

makaveli album ? on jays albums

jay got bp and rd....he peaked on bp

2 classics

pac got 3 classics....4 if u count AEOM as 2 albums

i wouldnt go that Far.............i jsut Said Pac has More............I hve Jay down for 3, @ the very altest thats How much Pac has
  • tri3w
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yes he does
    he got number one albums for a reason
    and Pac didnt have ? on the mic but portraying a life he never lived
    one(if that) classic album
    Jay has 11 number one albums, 4-5 classic and no ? albums
    dude has a better career than Pac had and could have hoped to hae
    in todays Hip Hop Pac would be flopping like a fish out of water

Smh...........No he dont, Dude has 3 @ the most.........RD BP and the Blacl ALbum........vol 1 qand AG migh be near classic............Damn near all of Pac Catalouge is Classic or near Classi materail, I would go so far as to include some of his post humoruos material..............U r trippin
  • ItzGravitation
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Smh...........No he dont, Dude has 3 @ the most.........RD BP and the Blacl ALbum........vol 1 qand AG migh be near classic............Damn near all of Pac Catalouge is Classic or near Classi materail, I would go so far as to include some of his post humoruos material..............U r trippin

na
    Pac has one classic at the most
    all that post humous ? was garbage
    thats why it wasnt released
    When Pac dided they knew ppl like you who wanted to fit in would be like this which is why it was released
  • thesynthesis
    edited April 2010
    Options
    and how u gonna compare the catalogue of a ? who has 11 albums to a ? who only made 5 while he was alive....

pacs last 3 ( 4 if u count aeom as 2) albums were classics....thats just a fact

jay remade one song off his makaveli album,

jay quoted lines from AEOM on his songs

if jay himself biting lines from pacs classic albums, den how u gonna say pac only has one classic album lol? unless u saying jay a liar with no taste?

jay had rd, bp...he peaked early then went downhill....he came strong with the black album, which was never better than that rd or bp...and then went downhill again....
  • ItzGravitation
    edited April 2010
    Options
    and how u gonna compare the catalogue of a ? who has 11 albums to a ? who only made 5 while he was alive....

pacs last 3 ( 4 if u count aeom as 2) albums were classics....thats just a fact

jay remade one song off his makaveli album,

jay quoted lines from AEOM on his songs

if jay himself biting lines from pacs classic albums, den how u gonna say pac only has one classic album lol? unless u saying jay a liar with no taste?

jay had rd, bp...he peaked early then went downhill....he came strong with the black album, which was never better than that rd or bp...and then went downhill again....

ok watever dude
    Pac has how many number one albums?
    Pac wasnt ? til after he died and you know it
  • tri3w
    edited April 2010
    Options
    na
    Pac has one classic at the most
    all that post humous ? was garbage
    thats why it wasnt released
    When Pac dided they knew ppl like you who wanted to fit in would be like this which is why it was released[/
    QUOTE]

ok..............just stop listen to hiphop, it just not for u homie...........
  • tri3w
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ok watever dude

that DOnt mean ? ............We r talking about Content...........
  • ItzGravitation
    edited April 2010
    Options
    that DOnt mean ? ............We r talking about Content...........

and 11 number one albums will have more content than however many Pac had
    i'm done arguing
  • thesynthesis
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ok watever dude

see now i know ur a young ? who dont got his facts str8...i hat arguing with dumb ? but i'mma put that rule to one side and break it down for u..

me against the world was n0 1 in a time when it was hard for a rapper to go no1 specially a non commercial ? rapper

aeom was n0 1

makaveli was no 1

pac was rapping in a time when hip hop aint rule the world like it does now....? went 9 plat with AEOM...dat was while he was alive ? , 9 plat......

he went 3 plat with me against the world

he went plat with strictly for my ?

he even went gold with his first album same way jay went gold with his first,,,

put pacs 5 first up against jays first 5 and pac has still outsold him...

numbers dont lie ask jay
  • weezyfgarbage
    weezyfgarbage Members Posts: 1,673
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Not Really..............

yes really...if you say "i''m gonna get run over by a car on saturday" and then walk into oncoming traffic on saturday, you predicted your own death.

Also, comparing sales is silly on its own, but comparing pac's sales to jay's is erroneous. Jay's frst 5 albums came out 1996 - 2000, Pac's 1991 - 1996. Completely different eras.
  • DaPrinciplez
    DaPrinciplez Members Posts: 1,148
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I never thought I would have a hard time making the choice between the 2.

Jay recently surpassed Nas as my favorite MC alive but i never thought that one day i would be considerin if he was better then Pac.

But to put it simply, Jay Z might just be the "? MC" but Pac is and was "Gods' MC".
    Pac was just raw. Even taking his personal life and movies and all that out of the picture, his raps were on a different level, maybe not with rhyme patterns, metaphors and multi syllables and ? but the substance more then made up for it. Pacs the best who done it.

I agree about Jay havin 4 classics too. AG, BP, RD and the Black Album.
    Pac got AEOM, M7DT, MATW and Until The End of Time in my eyes...and the rest of his albums weren't far off bein classics cept like the last 2, Pacs Life and Loyal 2 The Game.
  • redhandedbandit
    redhandedbandit Members Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    dude jay aint even better than big L notorius big pun any of em jay is mediocre and i been playing jays music since the 1st in my life time i predicted he was gonna blow he's nice but lyrically he spit a lot of truth but hes not that skillful
  • weezyfgarbage
    weezyfgarbage Members Posts: 1,673
    edited April 2010
    Options
    dude jay aint even better than big L notorius big pun any of em jay is mediocre and i been playing jays music since the 1st in my life time i predicted he was gonna blow he's nice but lyrically he spit a lot of truth but hes not that skillful

lol nobody's comparing jay to big L, biggie, or pun....at least I'm not. And pac is also mediocre skillwise.
  • georgia boi
    georgia boi Members Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You're looking at the wrong analogy. Being a great poet doesn't make you a great rapper. Poetry doesn't involve music anyway so IDK what the ? you're talking about with that. Jay-Z, regardless of what you wanna say about how he's been easing off hip hop for a while, has done a ton of collabs with artists from different genres. This crossover ? maybe too mainstream/selling out, but that's what an artist does. He branches out and tries new things. And he tries new things after he has established himself in one genre. And he establishes himself by living long enough to produce the works necessary to procure such establishment. Capisce?

And LOL @ "struggles of people"... jay-z painted pictures of the struggles of people...hustlers like himself. A true artist will draw on his own experiences to create his own style, not do the reverse (use a style [a la gangsta for tupac] to shape his experiences).

RAP is music that is Rhythm and Poetry. Music that involves lyrics is going to be poetic to some extent. Metaphors, similies, puns, allegories which are some common devices used in music are all literary devices that are present within poetry. You prove yourself to be too much of a Jay Z fan to provide an argument. One artist being alive and the other being dead has nothing to do w/ anything. The music still speaks for itself. Jay Z is an artist to an extent, but not because he collaborates w/ other artists from other genres. Truthfully speaking, Kanye West is a better overall artist than Jay Z.

Although hustlers are people, when I refer to people, I mean people from all walks of life including hustlers. Drawing from one's life experience is an aspect of being a real artist, but it's not the end all be all of being an artist. Artists also pull from different aspects of life for inspiration even if it isn't their own. Even if it's fiction, somebody out there related to those fictional tales just like they would a fictional movie. Is James Cameron any less of a director than John Singleton as one writes and directs sci-fi movies and the other does real life?
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    2pac is a far more superior "artist" than Jay-z. closed thread!
  • Tupacthadon1971
    Tupacthadon1971 Members Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i don't know why everyone says his posthumous releases were ''terrible''.....R U Still Down was fire as was Until the End of Time AND Better Dayz....6 disks worth of music that get no recognition
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Jay-Z his technical skills ? on Pac's, Pac had more diverse subject matter, but Jay-Z can do some diversity. Pac's emotional content or lyricalness was way deeper than Jay-Z... so overall off this I say Jay
  • emceemurda
    emceemurda Members Posts: 258 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    depends on what you value more... technical then jay-z is your choice... soul then i'd go with 2pac

jay-z = best rapper alive
    biggie = best rapper dead (arguable)
    2pac = greatest/realest/truest ? to ever walk this earth
  • emceemurda
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i dont value flow at all, but 2pac had to do what he had to do to get the average man to listen... how you gonna drop metaphors/similies/w.e to a person who just nods there head to the beat... you can't give a person a book who doesnt know how to read.... pac was trying reach those people..
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    emceemurda wrote: »
    depends on what you value more... technical then jay-z is your choice... soul then i'd go with 2pac

jay-z = best rapper alive
    biggie = best rapper dead (arguable)
    2pac = greatest/realest/truest ? to ever walk this earth

lmao and smh
  • emceemurda
    edited April 2010
    Options
    pac = the vincent vahn goh of rap
  • emceemurda
    edited April 2010
    Options
    c1up wrote: »
    lmao and smh

prove me wrong i'll' 1 u up bro... pac did "7" movies, all those songs in a time span of 5 years all the while getting shot and being in jail, ? wonder how far you would go in pac's shoes..plus all those interviews...and he still being missed... we will see when jay dies