Who's the better overall artist. Pac or Jay-Z?

Options

Comments

• isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Churchboy2 wrote: »
    When he was alive NO ONE was talking about Pac being GOAT.

NO ONE!

He played into that thug image so much that "artist" was the last thing he was viewed as.

I don't buy the revisionist view of Pac.

Never have. Never will.

And no, I'm not a hater - I had some of his stuff on vinyl back in the day...

It was only when he died that cats started treating his lyrics as prophetic and deep.

I'll bet half the cats posting in this thread were still in diapers when Pac died.

True story.

That's true. Big up for bein' honest, duke.
  • thetruth391
    thetruth391 Members Posts: 2,367 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    emceemurda wrote: »
    i dont value flow at all, but 2pac had to do what he had to do to get the average man to listen... how you gonna drop metaphors/similies/w.e to a person who just nods there head to the beat... you can't give a person a book who doesnt know how to read.... pac was trying reach those people..

by this logic gucci man and the rest of them ? tryna reach the ? then correct?
  • thesynthesis
    thesynthesis Members Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    to me the difference between pac and jay was

jay raps to impress, its about skills on the mic, make the crowd go wooooo, damn, same way big did...but if u strip away everything these ? aint saying nothing just a bunch of meaningless words...

whereas pac made soul music, he wasnt trying to get props for mic skills, he was trying to reach ? souls, make them think about life.....

e.g Jay be like "came from the bottom the bottom, to the top of the pots, ? London, Japan and I'm straight off the block, like a running back, get it man, i'm straight off the block, i can run it back ? cause I'm straight with the Roc"

and pac be like "I see mothers in black cryin, brothers in packs dyin, Plus everybody's high, too doped up to ask why, Watchin our own downfall, witness the end, It's like we don't believe in ? cause we livin in sin"
  • weezyfgarbage
    weezyfgarbage Members Posts: 1,673
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ^lol so? Nas does that too, and with sharper lyricism. Too bad nas's voice isn't as dynamic as pac's.
    RAP is music that is Rhythm and Poetry. Music that involves lyrics is going to be poetic to some extent. Metaphors, similies, puns, allegories which are some common devices used in music are all literary devices that are present within poetry. You prove yourself to be too much of a Jay Z fan to provide an argument. One artist being alive and the other being dead has nothing to do w/ anything. The music still speaks for itself. Jay Z is an artist to an extent, but not because he collaborates w/ other artists from other genres. Truthfully speaking, Kanye West is a better overall artist than Jay Z.
    Rap is rhythm and poetry. Poetry by itself isn't rap. It's not backwards compatible, which is what the other guy (or was it you?) was trying to say. LOL @ accusing me of being a jay stan, and what does kanye have to do with this discussion at all? (even though that statement is correct).
    Although hustlers are people, when I refer to people, I mean people from all walks of life including hustlers. Drawing from one's life experience is an aspect of being a real artist, but it's not the end all be all of being an artist. Artists also pull from different aspects of life for inspiration even if it isn't their own. Even if it's fiction, somebody out there related to those fictional tales just like they would a fictional movie. Is James Cameron any less of a director than John Singleton as one writes and directs sci-fi movies and the other does real life?

That's not what I'm arguing at all...learn to read. I'm talking about style...if your style is based on experiences you have never experienced, you're fake as ? (yes this is post-94 pac im talking about). Please don't compare movie makers to musicians, that's whole different discussion on what it means to be an "artist."
  • KingNative
    KingNative Members Posts: 135
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I say Pac!!!

Coming from a 25yr old Brooklyn native
  • KingNative
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Tupac=Michael Jordan of rap.His fan base & legacy backs it up.

Jay-Z is good but that's about it!
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    edited April 2010
    Options
    comparin pac & j is alwayz foolish thatz like comparin applez & orangez if tupac was still alive jay-z wouldnt even have a career.......
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Seriously what does Pac do better than Jay on the art of being a mc. Of course the Pac fans is gonna use that played out content excuse which is totally stupid, people relate to different ? for different reason. Pac was a marginally talented mc to me who left a great legacy behind. He is also a good songwriter and probably did the most with the least, same ? for DMX.
  • thetruth391
    edited April 2010
    Options
    tupac is not that gotdamn good
    i guess lil wayne need to die to so people can site him as the greatest ever
    ? swear pac was this immoveable mountain
    he was a mediocre rapper with limited talent on the mic

jigga has proved time and time again that he is one of the best
    jigga and a bunch of other dudes>>>>>>>tupac
  • gee757
    edited April 2010
    Options
    tupac is not that gotdamn good
    i guess lil wayne need to die to so people can site him as the greatest ever
    ? swear pac was this immoveable mountain
    he was a mediocre rapper with limited talent on the mic

jigga has proved time and time again that he is one of the best
    jigga and a bunch of other dudes>>>>>>>tupac

just rememba if pac was still alive jigga would not have a career rite now.........
  • thetruth391
    edited April 2010
    Options
    gee757 wrote: »
    just rememba if pac was still alive jigga would not have a career rite now.........

by that logic if KRS-1 never put down the mic pac wouldve been a ? ass ?
  • KingNative
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lol sure.

Pac being an Mc has nothing to do with Krs-One!!!
  • gee757
    edited April 2010
    Options

2pac wouldve destroy'd jay-z n 96 j would not b n da position hez n 2day if 2pac was still alivee factz is factz....lol
  • isayas
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I think Kane is better than Pac.
  • KingNative
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Jay just isn't Pac.Jay has made 11 albums about hustling & coke raps.You can't compare him to Pac!!!
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options

I love how you lames always attribute Jays success or lack of success to who isn't here and don't do it for other rappers (Nas,Dmx,Ja,Lil Wayne,Em,etc). Pac could of fell off and be just as irrelevant as Method Man is now, lets not forget that Pac wasn't a great business man, he died broke.
  • KingNative
    edited April 2010
    Options
    2pac wouldve destroy'd jay-z n 96 j would not b n da position hez n 2day if 2pac was still alivee factz is factz....lol

Jay got the biggest stroke of luck in the history of Hip Hop.The two top dogs(Pac & Big) died within a year.Left the door open for his Camel ass!
  • isayas
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    I love how you lames always attribute Jays success or lack of success to who isn't here and don't do it for other rappers (Nas,Dmx,Ja,Lil Wayne,Em,etc). Pac could of fell off and be just as irrelevant as Method Man is now, lets not forget that Pac wasn't a great business man, he died broke.

Preach. I think Hova would have still got the success like he has, now.
  • thetruth391
    edited April 2010
    Options

exactly. these ? swear he jumped on the throne cuz they died. y didn't nas? or DMX? or lil cease lol
    cz they werent good enough 2
  • KingNative
    edited April 2010
    Options

Stop talking ? .He was owed £17 million dollars in royalties off of All Eyes On Me & he would've got it.He was about to leave Death Row.He died before he could get it,end of!
  • gee757
    edited April 2010
    Options

i understand u luv j but factz is factz tupac was about 2 run j outta rap n 96 therr is no way jay-z couldve stop'd pac from shittin on him n 96,,,jigga betta b thankin gaawd everyday that tupac is dead.....
    KingNative wrote: »
    Jay got the biggest stroke of luck in the history of Hip Hop.The two top dogs(Pac & Big) died within a year.Left the door open for his Camel ass!

tru story....
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    KingNative wrote: »
    [/B]
    Stop talking ? .He was owed £17 million dollars in royalties off of All Eyes On Me & he would've got it.He was about to leave Death Row.He died before he could get it,end of!

He didn't have the intell enough to see Suge was ripping him off, Pac remind me of one of those jail ? who try to kick knowledge and act smart, but wasn't smart enough not to get locked up.
  • gee757
    edited April 2010
    Options
    He didn't have the intell enough to see Suge was ripping him off, Pac remind me of one of those jail ? who try to kick knowledge and act smart, but wasn't smart enough not to get locked up.

tupac knew he was gonna get ? once suge got him outta jail & pac got lock'd up ova a LIE.....
  • thetruth391
    edited April 2010
    Options
    tupac knew he was gonna get ? once suge got him outta jail & pac got lock'd up ova a LIE.....

irrelevant to pac bein a pseudo intellectual
  • isayas
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Jay-Z's content is totally underrated. They always think he's talkin' about money, cars, hoes. Just because he doesn't do that revolutionary ? doesn't mean his content is limited.