Am I thoe only one who feels that Jermaine Dupri being honored by VH1 is a joke?

Options
nujerz84
nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in The Reason
Seriously aside from the Brat who feel off after her debut what has Jermaine Dupri done to deserve being honored for hip-hop?? IMO not much...if you want to talk R&B then yes I can definitely see it cause he wrote and produced alot good r&b joints but hip-hop really foh. He doesnt deserve to be honored before EPMD, Dr. Dre, Kool G Rap or Scarface (as a solo artist). VH1 imo ? up with that pick would was prolly influenced by his pops at Columbia.

Comments

• Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    did jay or nas get honored yet?
  • mr.getwitcha
    mr.getwitcha Members Posts: 2,459 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Kriss Kross, Bow Wow.

JD has also produced some of the biggest records in music history. Yes he deserves to be honored.

Getwitcha
  • gee757
    gee757 Members Posts: 26,374
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Kriss Kross, Bow Wow.

JD has also produced some of the biggest records in music history. Yes he deserves to be honored.

Getwitcha

& he was smashin janet......lol
  • nujerz84
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Kriss Kross, Bow Wow.

Getwitcha

lol @ Bow WOw or Kriss KRoss as good reasons to be honored for your work in HIP HOP smh. 99% of those records were R&B and or pop.
  • nujerz84
    edited April 2010
    Options
    nah, he deserves it..

WHat has he done in HIP-HOP to deserve it??????????? Bow Wow and Kriss Kross are horrible... if its based on his R&B production and writing work then why is it honored at a hip-hop award thats for pionoeers or legends of the art from. Does he deserve it over Scarface or Kool G Rap or Dr. Dre who havent been honored yet by VH1?
  • American Loo VII 3D
    American Loo VII 3D Members Posts: 6,371 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    nah, he deserves it..

co sign. and im not even a jd fan.
  • nujerz84
    edited April 2010
    Options
    co sign. and im not even a jd fan.

Why does he deserve it????
  • flushill401
    flushill401 Members Posts: 1,066 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It's VH1, do you really expect them to know about hip hop?
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Dupree deserves it for all the work he put in. he was producing at 14 yrs old I know yall dont click links but thats a impressive resume

http://www.answers.com/topic/jermaine-dupri-production-discography
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    yea thinking about he doesn't deserve to be honored for hip hop r&b for sure but he hasn't contributed much of anything to hip hop but 2 kiddy groups and one bone crusher hit.
  • mattee c
    mattee c Members Posts: 693
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I've never been a fan of J.D. or So So Def, but he definately deserves recognition for his contributions to Southern rap. He's behind the success of Kris Kross, The Brat, and Usher to name a few. I actually liked his album, Life In 1472, eventhough it was more like a compilation. And he did get Jay-Z some new fans when they did "Money Ain't A Thing". As far as Southern producers go though, I'd like to see people like Mannie Fresh, Beats By the Pound / Medicine Men, Mike Dean, N.O. Joe, T-Mix, and John Bido, recognized more than Jermaine Dupri. But like I said, that doesn't mean I don't think J.D. should be honored. One thing I've always respected about J.D. is that he's never put on a front like he's some gangster from the hood. He grew up in the suburbs and both of his parents were pretty successful in the music business. I'm not gonna complain about this years VH1 Honors though. I'm just glad to see J. Prince / Rap-A-Lot being honored. Recognize the Mob.
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Actually he produced Alot of the Biggest hits In hiphop history..........So yea, i think he should
  • nujerz84
    edited April 2010
    Options
    tri3w wrote: »
    Actually he produced Alot of the Biggest hits In hiphop history..........So yea, i think he should

Really..... Aside from MOney Aint a Thing he hasnt produced alot HIP HOP Hits. JKWON, Bow Wow, Kriss Kross, Nelly, Murphy Lee and Paul Wall arent anything to be honored or celebrated about.
  • nujerz84
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    yea thinking about he doesn't deserve to be honored for hip hop r&b for sure but he hasn't contributed much of anything to hip hop but 2 kiddy groups and one bone crusher hit.

Hit the nail right on the head... I give him his props for writing and producing R&B records but HIP HOP no he hasnt done anything to of high quality to be honored imo.
  • nujerz84
    edited April 2010
    Options
    It's VH1, do you really expect them to know about hip hop?

For the most part so far the VH1 Hip Hop Honors have been on point...
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    If you're honored it pretty much means your career is over
  • lamontbdc
    lamontbdc Members Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    Hit the nail right on the head... I give him his props for writing and producing R&B records but HIP HOP no he hasnt done anything to of high quality to be honored imo.

yea when i 1st heard his name i had no problem b/c he has put in a lot of industry work then you realize all his greatness involves r&b and not hip hop as one person said though it's vh-1 and though i think they have done a great job with this honors show they will quickly lump hip hop and r &b in the same category like how they used to have r kelly nominated for best hip hop video at an awards show
  • nujerz84
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lamontbdc wrote: »
    yea when i 1st heard his name i had no problem b/c he has put in a lot of industry work then you realize all his greatness involves r&b and not hip hop as one person said though it's vh-1 and though i think they have done a great job with this honors show they will quickly lump hip hop and r &b in the same category like how they used to have r kelly nominated for best hip hop video at an awards show

That's How I feel... for the most part I think Vh1 has done a great job with this show. Whats crazy to me is that they Honored Rakim, Big Daddy Kane and Krs- One but not Kool G Rap?? Makes no sense to me. Same with Honoring Ice Cube, Eazy E, Snoop Dogg, 2Pac, Too Short, Cypress Hill but not Dr. Dre again makes no sense.
  • kingofdetroit
    kingofdetroit Members Posts: 519 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The ? been making platinum hits since '94 and still making the biggest records this decade. ALL of his artist and the ones he collabs with do platinum sales. He raps on a lot of ? and he's pretty good by todays standards as a rapper (Back in the day he was just ok, because he wasn't a lyrical beast, but now that lyrics don't matter, he's damn near a lyrical genius today) All HIS albums are rap albums and not R&B. He has written the most #1 records in past 2 decades that says something. Dude been slept on and deserves his just due as one of the best that ever did it.

P.S. The ? in the South right now call JD "The Mayor" for a reason, he helped put most them ? on in the first place (wack or not, lol)

For the haters.

I can definitely post A LOT more, but dude been on it hard since 94 and NEVER slowed down the hits
  • jek
    jek Members Posts: 1,786 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I havent listen to N.E thing so so def afiliated since Daz ? wit JD. Then once Daz got to be westcoast again SSD went back to being irrelivent
  • kingofdetroit
    kingofdetroit Members Posts: 519 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    If you're honored it pretty much means your career is over
    You should PROBABLY check JD's stock in the game at the moment...He's STILL that go to guy for a hit record. I may be bias tho because I'm a "Lifer". LTL!!!

He's contributed by basically introducing and putting the South on. All them ? know who let them intern for JD and now they got they own ? and this is rappers I'm talkin' about not R&B. TI, Luda, Bone Crusher, David Banner, Mike Jones, Rocko etc. a lot of them ? interned for JD before they got their own ? poppin'. Ask TI and Luda who helped them get shine on a major level and they gone say JD. Scarface gave these ? the knowledge and JD gave them a spotlight. Real Talk.

Ask Baby who taught him how to ball in the biz, he said that ? Don Chi Chi, lol.
  • krow132
    krow132 Members Posts: 1,033 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Of course he deserves it. Not as an artist but for his work as an exec and his resume.

JD played a big part of the south being a force in hip hop.
  • usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    You should PROBABLY check JD's stock in the game at the moment...He's STILL that go to guy for a hit record. I may be bias tho because I'm a "Lifer". LTL!!!

He's contributed by basically introducing and putting the South on. All them ? know who let them intern for JD and now they got they own ? and this is rappers I'm talkin' about not R&B. TI, Luda, Bone Crusher, David Banner, Mike Jones, Rocko etc. a lot of them ? interned for JD before they got their own ? poppin'. Ask TI and Luda who helped them get shine on a major level and they gone say JD. Scarface gave these ? the knowledge and JD gave them a spotlight. Real Talk.

Ask Baby who taught him how to ball in the biz, he said that ? Don Chi Chi, lol.

Dude i know but i am saying look who they have honored so far, Kane,KRS,etc. A bunch of washed up ? , i don't blame Nas and Jay for not showing up to that ? , ? like that is for when youre done rapping.
  • J. Rob
    J. Rob Members Posts: 810 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    mattee c wrote: »
    And he did get Jay-Z some new fans when they did "Money Ain't A Thing.

I don't think he should be honored for HIP HOP, but this is real talk. He never gets credit for this. "Money Ain't A Thang" was kinda like the jump start to Jay's commercial success. Before that, he was just a rapper from New York with a handful of moderate hits. But after that song hit, that's when people really started to take notice nationwide
  • mattee c
    mattee c Members Posts: 693
    edited April 2010
    Options
    J. Rob wrote: »
    I don't think he should be honored for HIP HOP, but this is real talk. He never gets credit for this. "Money Ain't A Thang" was kinda like the jump start to Jay's commercial success. Before that, he was just a rapper from New York with a handful of moderate hits. But after that song hit, that's when people really started to take notice nationwide
    That was basically my point. But as far as commercial success, I think "Can I Getta..." was Jay-Z's first hit that gave him national exposure. "Money Ain't A Thing" brought his career to another level, commercially. Having J.D. on the track gained him a lot of new fans, especially in the South. After readin all these posts though, I've gotta agree with everybody. Eventhough J.D. has had an extremely successful career in music, most of that success has been in r&b (Jagged Edge, Usher, Monica, etc.) instead of rap. And eventhough I don't like most of J.D.'s tracks, I can't deny, they're catchy as hell. I could never get songs like "Where the Party At?" or "Grillz" out of my head when I hear them on the radio. Lil Jon got his start working as a producer for So So Def.