Lupe Fiasco=Future G.O.A.T.??

Options

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    People are caught up on this mainstream success idea, as if it defines true artistry.

Truth is, being successful on the pop charts has NEVER been a measurement of how GOOD an artist is. It's merely used to by fans of artist who actually do cater to top 40 radio, and is a product of marketing and promotion.

You cannot deny impact no matter how much you try. Why the ? do you think these ? sign record deals, make videos, tour,etc; for the love of the artform only. Success matters, Pacs,Biggies,Nas,Jay,NWA,Outkast,etc mainstream success is the reason why they are well known today. If that wasn't the case then no one should have a top 5 or a goat list because there are unkown rappers out there who are great and undiscovered.

You go to places in Africa and UK, they know Pacs song word for word and can't speaka drop of english. You think they know some no name underground ? .
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    You cannot deny impact no matter how much you try. Why the ? do you think these ? sign record deals, make videos, tour,etc; for the love of the artform only. Success matters, Pacs,Biggies,Nas,Jay,NWA,Outkast,etc mainstream success is the reason why they are well known today. If that wasn't the case then no one should have a top 5 or a goat list because there are unkown rappers out there who are great and undiscovered.

You go to places in Africa and UK, they know Pacs song word for word and can't speaka drop of english. You think they know some no name underground ? .

People like myself are not caught up on mainstream, top 40 success because we know how fickle mainstream audiences can be and how backwards they can be. And I think that's a poor cop out.

The same people you are advocating so hard for are the same people who gave MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice diamond albums, two albums that were poorly received by critics, mind you. And it's these same people who would be inclined to NOT purchase a critically acclaimed, highly lauded album from a well-renowned artist, but purchase something from a poorly received artist because that's who the said artist is CATERING to.

Look at all the artists who are dominating the pop charts today...and look at who isn't. It doesn't necessarily make one artist more impactful than the other because one chooses to cater to mainstream and the other one doesn't. You can't argue that sales = impact, without arguing that lack of sales = lack of impact. They go hand in hand, and NEITHER one is right.
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited April 2010
    Options
    nowhere
    Lupe said it best when he said he's not great
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    People like myself are not caught up on mainstream, top 40 success because we know how fickle mainstream audiences can be and how backwards they can be. And I think that's a poor cop out.

The same people you are advocating so hard for are the same people who gave MC Hammer and Vanilla Ice diamond albums, two albums that were poorly received by critics, mind you. And it's these same people who would be inclined to NOT purchase a critically acclaimed, highly lauded album from a well-renowned artist, but purchase something from a poorly received artist because that's who the said artist is CATERING to.

Look at all the artists who are dominating the pop charts today...and look at who isn't. It doesn't necessarily make one artist more impactful than the other because one chooses to cater to mainstream and the other one doesn't. You can't argue that sales = impact, without arguing that lack of sales = lack of impact. They go hand in hand, and NEITHER one is right.

OH really, and the underground is any better. Where were you ? at for the last Mos Def, Wu, Murs,etc albums that didn't sell ? , underground fans are some of the most fickle ass ? .

I love how you ? alway point out the bad extremes and fail to see the fact that these classic albums sold alot.

All eyez on me - 7 X platinum
    Ready to die - 3 X platinum
    Life After - 10 X platinum
    Illmatic - platinum
    Stillmatic - 2 x platinum
    Reasonable Doubt - platinum
    Blueprint - 2 x platinum
    Southerncadillac...... - platium
    Aquemini - 2 x platinum
    Low end theory - platinum
    Midnight Marauder - platinum
    Chronic - 3 x platinum
    ? - 4 times platinum
    etc

I could go on and on forver, most of the classic hiphop albums have sold and made a great impact.

As for artist today, last time i check Nas,Jay,Kanye,Em and a few others are the only ones who consistently sell. Yall are acting like these one hit wonders are selling albums or making classic albums.
  • Punisher__
    edited April 2010
    Options
    OH really, and the underground is any better. Where were you ? at for the last Mos Def, Wu, Murs,etc albums that didn't sell ? , underground fans are some of the most fickle ass ? .

I love how you ? alway point out the bad extremes and fail to see the fact that these classic albums sold alot.

Illmatic - platinum
    Blueprint - 2 x platinum
    Aquemini - 2 x platinum
    Chronic - 3 x platinum
    ? - 4 times platinum
    etc

I could go on and on forver, most of the classic hiphop albums have sold and made a great impact.

As for artist today, last time i check Nas,Jay,Kanye,Em and a few others are the only ones who consistently sell. Yall are acting like these one hit wonders are selling albums or making classic albums.

No one said mainstream audiences don't ever get it right. It's just that they don't get it right all the time. And it's that fickleness and lack of consistency that make me not take them seriously.
  • tri3w
    tri3w Members Posts: 3,142 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

Illmatic - platinum
    Blueprint - 2 x platinum
    Aquemini - 2 x platinum
    Chronic - 3 x platinum
    ? - 4 times platinum
    etc

Some albums took almost a Decade to go platinum homie................Sales and impact is not the samething..........
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    They all went atleast gold initially
  • tri3w
    edited April 2010
    Options
    They all went atleast gold initially

nope not even that...............illmatic opened up with only 63 k...........Reasonable DOubt had some Low numbers too.....Like i stated b4, ur equating Sales with impact............Some Classic albums Dont sell alot............rthe impact is Seeing in a later peroid of time
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Its hard to put him in any top ten because of all the wackness in hip hop, as soon as someone who is remotely lyrical comes around, he gains a bunch of followers and people put that person on a pedestal. He needs someone else in the mainstream to be compared to, maybe a few people. Thats how you separate the greats

you make a interesting point Joker, your always insightful
  • ItzGravitation
    edited April 2010
    Options
    where he say that?

link me to this.

something along the lines of ? is good/great
    i'm drawing a blank but he's said it in several songs
    dude said no one's great but ?
  • Punisher__
    edited April 2010
    Options
    you make a interesting point Joker, your always insightful

There are plenty of lyrical rappers out right now, sir.
  • tri3w
    edited April 2010
    Options
    There are plenty of lyrical rappers out right now, sir.

i think he talking about back in the Day.............there is a nice amount but not as much as it use to be..........
  • ItzGravitation
    edited April 2010
    Options
    "Dhalsim, I beat the game,
    Level 8, Hella good
    Never great cause ? is great
    So ain’t no goats, ain’t no gates"

thats the line...followed by another reference in the "popular demand" freestyle.

i thought u meant a direct quote from him in like...interview form.

na
    just heard him say it on a few songs
  • thetruth391
    thetruth391 Members Posts: 2,367 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lupe>>>>>>>>>>all the 90's ? except nas. and theyre only even

lyrically the best ever. and theres proof
  • ItzGravitation
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lupe<<<<BIG, Jay, DMX
  • Punisher__
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lupe>>>>>>>>>>all the 90's ? except nas. and theyre only even

lyrically the best ever. and theres proof

Based on sheer lyricism, I'd have Lupe at like #4...behind Canibus, Nas, and Common.

Definitely a GOAT contender, though.
  • isayas
    isayas Confirm Email Posts: 2,972 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Usmarine3, I see where you're goin' with this, but I disgress, and don't look at you like the bad guy.
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lupe is good but im still trying to see why people rate him so highly.

In all honesty he's not even the best rapper from chicago

common and vakill>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>lupe
  • gman82
    gman82 Members Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lupe is in my personal top 10. Exceptional lyrics, socially conscience, original,nice flow, great subject matter, great mixtapes and catelog (one classic & one really good album). Lupe also shows signs of growth and lots of promise. He made his own lane and is arguable the best lyrisist since '06
  • AntonLATroy
    AntonLATroy Members Posts: 331
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lupe was speaking in layers so people are speculating like they should be lol
  • AntonLATroy
    AntonLATroy Members Posts: 331
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lupe should be in everyones top 3 as far as skill and hopefully his careeer will get there
  • theillestrator
    theillestrator Members Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I don't really rank artists, but Lupe is one of my favorites.
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
  • deathrowzorrow
    deathrowzorrow Members Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The best in game right now. Lupe Fiasco, Drake & BoB
  • The Smooth One
    The Smooth One Members Posts: 725
    edited April 2010
    Options
    The best in game right now. Lupe Fiasco, Drake & BoB

Can't agree on that 100%... Lupe did his thing, but this song sounds like an Alicia track. I hope this isn't a sign for the direction of Lasers...

Anyone notice how Lupe can get away with the mock middle-eastern voice that Em got ? on for? Lupe's fits a lot better, but I laughed at it, especially on that last verse.