Your favorite rappers and why

Options
StoneColdMikey
StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
edited April 2010 in The Reason
This might be an old thread but since im new i wanna know who is your favorite rappers that are still rapping and that are not dead...

Well my favorite rappers are Jay-Z, Eminem, Lil Wayne, T.I., Nas, 50, and Fabolous...

this isnt my GOAT list and it is not in any order, its just whats mostly in my ipod

Comments

• ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Slaughterhouse
    Jay Z
    Drake
    Kanye
    Wayne
  • JQUEENS21
    JQUEENS21 Members Posts: 228
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Slick Rick, no one can tell a story better than him
    Big L, no one can outshine him
    Q-Tip, always a fan of Tribe, their music is timeless
    Blu, best new rapper out there
    Boot Camp, best freestylers around
    NaS, being where I am from in Queens he represents
    AZ, most underrated MC ever
    Skyzoo, very dope newcomer who hasn't disappointed yet
  • Mrslim1
    Mrslim1 Members Posts: 2,614 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Jay-Z = Like him or dislike him he is the standard for all rappers.

Devin The Dude = He is like a regular ? that raps . I can relate to what he raps about.

? C = He shows zero love to the hoes.

Joell Ortiz and Jay Electronica = These 2 cats are bringing some serious/quality rhymes to back to Hip Hop.

Kanye West = He is a genius.
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Cam-started out a casual fan, but when the dipset movement started, his music became phenomenal imo, one of the wittier ? in da rap game....
    Fab-one of the best out imo in terms of flow and punchlines,
    Luda-^^^^
    Bone Thugs-my fav part bout rappers is the flow first, and they def are some of the best ever at this...
    T.I.-one of the best flows in da game right now

and b4 03 there was a period where i wouldnt even listen to rap...but all of the above(except bone), plus a few more rappers came out wit come classic(imo) ? and got me back into rap...
  • EnglishW
    EnglishW Members Posts: 65
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Slaughterhouse
    Jay Z
    Drake
    Kanye
    Wayne

These 5
    and i would Add Nas and Fabolous
  • young_reezy
    young_reezy Members Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    devin the dude= laid back flow, real humble cat, good production, lyrically inclined.

raekwon the chef= sharp flow, doesn't reveal everything at face value, unorthodox.

the jacka= laid back lyrics, doesn't overly glorify his hood perspective, good production, highly slept on.

freeway= i like his unorthodox flow as well, raw lyrics too.

styles P= toss up between him and jada, i give him the edge over jada based on his raw gritty lyrics, straight foward flow.
  • The Smooth One
    The Smooth One Members Posts: 725
    edited April 2010
    Options
    JQUEENS21 wrote: »
    Slick Rick, no one can tell a story better than him
    Big L, no one can outshine him
    Q-Tip, always a fan of Tribe, their music is timeless
    Blu, best new rapper out there
    Boot Camp, best freestylers around
    NaS, being where I am from in Queens he represents
    AZ, most underrated MC ever
    Skyzoo, very dope newcomer who hasn't disappointed yet

I'll start with the highlighted cuz my sentiments kinda echo.

Big L -- Really stepped up my punchline game cuz of him. Proves you don't have to spit a punchline every other ? line to be the best punch line rapper. Lack of material has kinda made him fall lower on my list, but I still got love.
    Nas -- When he's on his ? , lyrics are so ? vivid. The man can paint a picture with words. A lyricist.
    AZ -- One of the cleanest flows. Also an inspiration. G Rap on the smooth tip in my opinion. Also served as a big inspiration.
    Royce Da 5'9" -- Has just always struck me as ill, even from back when. Eminem ain't makin this list, but acknowledging his skill, Royce literally is the only one that can hang with him on a track. One of the coldest, intense flows in the game. Period.
    Blu -- Down to earth as ? . Definitely best newcomer if you still consider him that. I don't really. Anyone that can sway me from a simple track on Myspace got somethin.
    Elzhi -- a syllable beast. The Preface was ill as ? . And he's bodied Royce on a track before. Props on that.
    Joell Ortiz -- I need to catch up and listen to more. He never disappoints, and his incline has been rapid as ? . He just genuinely sounds like he loves to rhyme. Someone in another thread put it best so I'll paraphrase. His multisyllable couplets sound like they are supposed to be there. Literally speaking a complete thought while rhyming, making it on beat and smooth. Something you rarely find.

I'm sure I'm missing a few, but yea.
  • Ibex
    Ibex Members Posts: 7,935 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Lupe Fiasco--best rapper alive
    Gucci Mane--his beats and dope boy flow are the best
    Drake--best to ever sing and rap equally well
    Devin the Dude--the realest ? rapping
    Jay-Z--Legend still making hot music
    Lil Wayne--Best punchline rapper ever and knows how to make a hit
    Juicy J--All he raps about is ? and gangsta ?
    Kanye West--true artist creates the best music overall today
    Fabolous--greatest feature/mixtape rapper ever
    Nas--lyrics and songs inspire me
    Bun B--OG bun one of the Trillest ever
    Young Jeezy--Never made a wack album
    3000--Half of the best rap group ever
    Project Pat--has 3 classics IMO
    Raekwon--Best out of the Wu
    Styles P--Still underground and still a beast
    Scarface--Great storyteller and gives you that G ?
    Diddy--how can you not ? with Diddy?
  • ItzGravitation
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Z Ro>>>Drake at harmonizing
    Drake cant sing
  • Ibex
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Z Ro>>>Drake at harmonizing
    Drake cant sing

Naw dog Z-Ro be harmonizing....Drake actually sings there is a difference
  • ItzGravitation
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Ibex wrote: »

Drake use autotune
    if not for that dude wouldnt do all that ?
  • The Smooth One
    edited April 2010
    Options

Nah it's called getting close to mic and dropping your tone. And adding enough auto-tune to make it tolerable. That better not be what you mean by "singing". Technology is a mufucka.

Even Gravitation up there knows it, and he be loving him some Drake lol.

But I did leave off Lupe.
  • The Smooth One
    edited April 2010
    Options
    K-Os, Novel, and not sure else... oh Phonte too... They can more or less do both.
  • DaPrinciplez
    DaPrinciplez Members Posts: 1,148
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Pac - Greatest to ever do it, dude was just too real.
    Nas - The number 1. street poet, capable of anythin to do with MC'n.
    Jay Z - Best rapper alive. Keeps rap atop of the charts and keeps the essence of hip hop alive while he's doin it and he does it effortlessly.
    Eminem - Even against the odd's went on to become the worlds most recognisable and easy one of the most creative and lyrically dope rappers ever.
    Joe Budden - Doesn't get much more introspective and honest then Joey, the fact he is a beast on the lyrical side of things doesnt hurt too.
    Pusha T (From The Clipse) - Dude is one of the few rappers I'd be willing to put the house on that lived what he rap's about, plus he aint just real, the dude spits with a rawness and a skill that puts him in top 10 lyricists in the game right now in my eyes.
    Young Jeezy - Like Pusha T, I'd be willing to put money on that dude lived what he raps about. Even though he aint no lyrical ? on the mic, he's raw and he just keeps gettin better and better every album.
    T.I - King Of The South, dude aint no slouch on the mic and the way he combines dope rhymes with an ease for making hits, he reminds me of a young Jay Z and at moments with his vunerability, reminds me of Tupac.
    Brotha Lynch Hung - Dude was as gangsta as he was a lyrical genius and if you ever listened to Brotha Lynch Hung, you know thats equal parts greatness.
    Scarface - Face is about as real to himself, the streets and his fans as a rapper can get.
    Styles P - The Ghost is just too gangsta plus his lyrics slice up the track like the sharpest razor.

Outta the new dudes.
    Wale - Some of the rhymes he comes up with are out of this world, plus his diversity and realness is refreshing in hip hops stale climate.
    B.O.B - just like Wale, but also he's a super talented artist in every sense of the word and i know everyones heard it but he really does remind me of Andre 3K
  • stevieb
    stevieb Members Posts: 180
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Z-Ro- Just comes with that realness all the time

Pac- same as above

Chamillionaire- real humble dude and is a good lyricist

Trae- all of his mixtapes are on point

DMX- his energy and lyrics make him one of the greats

Scarface- same as Pac and Z-Ro

Bun B- has been consistent his whole career and has branched out the the new school to welcome them instead of putting them down

Krayzie Bone- smooth flow and dope lyrics

Killer Mike- comes hard with the lyrics and spits real ?

Lupe Fiasco- on point with lyrics and always has you thinking with his lyrics

Wale- after hearing his new album I had to put him on my list. dude is nice
  • south4life
    south4life Members Posts: 9,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    1. 2pac - the greatest emotional rapper to ever touch a mike, dude could control your emotions, he can have u amped and then he can have u crying or he can have u think
    2. Method Man - I love Mef's energy and the way he rhymes is slick, just listen to the way he rhymes on Judgment Day, which is my favorite Mef song
    3. Scarface - His story telling is unique and he influenced a who's who in hip hop, Jay-Z, Beanie Sigel, Ludacris and 2pac
    4. Rakim - Dude had the style, the vibe and the voice to go along with the lyrics and the message
    5. Sean Price - That's my ? right there, he is underrated but, not to me. "Violent" is one of my favorite songs to ride with and "I Love You(? )" is the ? !
    6. Kurupt - He was always my favorite out the Dogg Pound, dude got bars for days, look up the Death Row- Ultimate Collection- Tha Dogg Pound- "Puffin On Blunts and Drankin"and listen to his freestyle on there, he killed it
    7. Outkast - Them ? are some of the sickest when it comes to rhyming and ? say the south doesn't have lyricists
    8. DMX - before he went crazy, that ? had the game on lock, I use to play the hell out of It's Dark and Hell Is Hot, my favorite is "Stop Being Greedy" and "How's It Going Down"
    9. Snoop Dogg - before he started to rhyming with Soulja Boy, he was the sickest in the game, I wish he would go back to that
    10. Goodie Mob - Always was a fan of them and they are still underrated to so many people
    11. Ice Cube - That ? always come raw and got classics for days
    12. Nas - Dude comes with the real and I love the way he rhymes
    13. Mos Def - I always liked Mos, he is still underrated and I don't know why
    14. Common - I think that dude is by far one of the best lyrical rappers and is slept on
    15. Ludacris - Dude is great at putting words together and got energy for days
  • Ibex
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Nah it's called getting close to mic and dropping your tone. And adding enough auto-tune to make it tolerable. That better not be what you mean by "singing". Technology is a mufucka.

Even Gravitation up there knows it, and he be loving him some Drake lol.

But I did leave off Lupe.

He has used autotune a lot but I have heard tracks with him singing straight up, he doesn't have a lot a range but he can hold some notes....and how you gonna forget Lupe?
  • The Smooth One
    edited April 2010
    Options
    He has used autotune a lot but I have heard tracks with him singing straight up, he doesn't have a lot a range but he can hold some notes....and how you gonna forget Lupe?

Accident. I did say I left people off... I could go on... Talib, Common, Pharoahr. I was a big Mad Skillz fan for a while...

I'd like to see Lupe, Elzhi, and Blu all on a track. Add me and that's a 4-headed mini smoothed Slaughterhouse right there. Haha..
  • young_reezy
    edited April 2010
    Options
    brotha lynch- one of the siccest(illest) flows ever, subject matter is usually blood and guts tho.

tech9ne- can flow with the best of them, witty and introspective.

killa cam- stop and go witty flow, real flashy colorfull cat.

scarface- best voice in rap, powerfull lyrics, makes great songs and albums.

mac dre- not the most lyrical, real comical, solid perspective and outlook, voice and flow he had blended well. (r.i.p.)
  • ItzGravitation
    edited April 2010
    Options
    DMX-Its Dark and Hell is Hot was the first album i could listen to all the way through(I was 9 and it made DMX my fav rapper)
    Jay-Z-The ? he was was one was straight plus he had songs with X
    Camron-fucced with dude when he signed to the ROC
    Julez Santana-fuccs with Cam
    Lil Wayne-Hot Boy. Stepped his game up
    BG-Hot Boy. ? was on some real life songs
    Juve-Hot Boy. first Cash Money artist i jammed
    Boosie- Life Stories
    Webbie-Savage Life
    Lupe-X and an I Pod plus dope lyrics
    Joell Ortiz- some freestyle put me on dude plus the SH ?
    Crooked-Hip Hop Weekly
    Royce-Em
    thats who i really fucc with like that
    some of you ? got some ?'s on yall lists
  • Ibex
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Accident. I did say I left people off... I could go on... Talib, Common, Pharoahr. I was a big Mad Skillz fan for a while...

I'd like to see Lupe, Elzhi, and Blu all on a track. Add me and that's a 4-headed mini smoothed Slaughterhouse right there. Haha..

Damn that sounds like a fire track can I get a production credit on that?.....and you just reminded me I forgot Malice that ? goes
  • DaPrinciplez
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yeah I left a whole bunch off too....

Just rattle'd off some names off the top of my head.

I do find it somewhat depressing noone mentions Pusha T though. :/
  • The Smooth One
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Damn that sounds like a fire track can I get a production credit on that?.....and you just reminded me I forgot Malice that ? goes

You got them beats? lol

I just started getting to work on a project of my own (finally). Been a long time comin.
  • young_reezy
    edited April 2010
    Options
    clipse - forgot about them they both on some next level hustlin ? .

max-b - max is a arrogant dude but i like his style though, he's multitalented harmonizing/rappin.

killa tay - i know most of yall never heard of him but he dropped an album in 98 called mr. mafioso that i consider a classic personally, real fresno crip ? , he also had an album called thug religion that dropped around 2000 that is some deep street ? .

c-bo - west coast legend in my book, garden blocc ? .

e-40 - havent listened to much of his newer stuff but 40's albums the hall of game and the element of suprise still get play from me, he has a goofy flow but he's not game goofy at all. if you can understand what he says you'd recognize he's spit some of the most game ever.
  • DaPrinciplez
    edited April 2010
    Options
    clipse - forgot about them they both on some next level hustlin ? .

killa tay - i know most of yall never heard of him but he dropped an album in 98 called mr. mafioso that i consider a classic personally, real fresno crip ? , he also had an album called thug religion that dropped around 2000 that is some deep street ? .

c-bo - west coast legend in my book, garden blocc ? .

e-40 - havent listened to much of his newer stuff but 40's albums the hall of game and the element of suprise still get play from me, he has a goofy flow but he's not game goofy at all. if you can understand what he says you'd recognize he's spit some of the most game ever.

Co-Sign.

Yukmouth - Yuk spits fire on everythin, even if his subject matter is generally limited to some thug ? or cash money ? , but me personally i love dudes style. One of the best on the West.

*claps for someone else mentioning The Clipse too. :)