Yo, do freestyling really matter to you anymore?

Options
ShencotheMC
ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2010 in The Reason
Like I been noticing dude's talking bout' " This the realest ? I never wrote" But most of the time the realest ? you never wrote be wack as ? . I've also noticed there's a lot of artists who can't free, but can write hot tracks. Now I have nothing but the upmost respect for dudes who can come off top of the dome, but it's not as much of a priority for rappers as it used to be. So I have to ask the IC, if an artist can't freestyle, do you still respect them even if they spit some of the dopest writtens?

Comments

• ThaChozenWun
    ThaChozenWun Members Posts: 9,390
    edited April 2010
    Options
    No it dont matter to me, written or freestyled as long as it sounds good to me ill listen
  • 4 POUND
    4 POUND Members Posts: 57
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i respect ? that can at least do it...a lot more...me n my bro fresstyle for hours...for no reasons...lots of wasted material...bc we dont always record it...but its dope...and it shows that ur a master of your craft...its just more impressive to me...if ur pen game is nice...it should be second nature anyways...i under stand how its not as improatant in battles anymore..but i still respect a ? who can do it...showing its not all about the money...u know...that to me...makes them more of an elite mc...especially if u kan kome off the dome...and it makes sense...whilst sounding good...plus, its easier to play around with styles,etc...

its very important to me...for arts sake..id rather spit nothin but freestyles...n never have one of them saved or remebered...then spit five different times...using the exact same verse everys single time...tyhats wack to me...u gotta find the middle ground...

plus, once i start a verse...and i get a block...ill jus spit that n try n free a lil bit...and see what happens...

honestly...i prefer fresstyling, off the top...bc it komes from the heart...and not the mind...
  • aquizzle
    aquizzle Members Posts: 589
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I respect it, but it's not a requirement. I would hope that all the artists I consider good could at least spit something coherent off the top. I'm not expecting everyone to be Charles Hamilton off the top but being down right horrible would definitely change my perception of the artist a little bit.

I remember seeing some video of Jay overseas at some weird talk show. ? kinda put him on the spot and wanted him to spit some lines. He couldn't even come up with nursery rhymes.. just kept telling the crowd to clap smh. I was dying laughing when the host was like RAP!!! and Jay was like hold on ? ... I mean we are talking about a guy that supposedly doesn't write down his rhymes. C'mon Jay, you're better than that.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I prefer a freestyle over anything. I mean, you have your wack ones and great ones, but either way, it's enjoyable to listen to. It's dope listening to a dude who lets that beat just beast him. I really enjoy freestyling with my boys, whether we just ? around or tryna get serious with it.
  • The Smooth One
    The Smooth One Members Posts: 725
    edited April 2010
    Options
    4 POUND wrote: »
    i respect ? that can at least do it...a lot more...me n my bro fresstyle for hours...for no reasons...lots of wasted material...bc we dont always record it...but its dope...and it shows that ur a master of your craft...its just more impressive to me...if ur pen game is nice...it should be second nature anyways...i under stand how its not as improatant in battles anymore..but i still respect a ? who can do it...showing its not all about the money...u know...that to me...makes them more of an elite mc...especially if u kan kome off the dome...and it makes sense...whilst sounding good...plus, its easier to play around with styles,etc...

its very important to me...for arts sake..id rather spit nothin but freestyles...n never have one of them saved or remebered...then spit five different times...using the exact same verse everys single time...tyhats wack to me...u gotta find the middle ground...

plus, once i start a verse...and i get a block...ill jus spit that n try n free a lil bit...and see what happens...

honestly...i prefer fresstyling, off the top...bc it komes from the heart...and not the mind...

I agree with a lot of that. I kinda started backwards, because my rhyme style tends to be beyond something that can be honestly freestyled. Once I realized I could write and what I spit sounded good, I made it a point to polish my freestylin game. Initially it was tough, because my mind couldn't get off the complex patterns and would always cause me to stop. I think I musta smoked enough that those inhibitions got let go of haha.

I've come a long way since I started that. I'm no creative genius off top, but I do say some funny ? from time to time.

It does help develop different rhyme patterns and flows as well. Cuz different beats speak to me differently. Me and my boys make it a point and just get on whatever beat plays at the time, slow, midtempo, fast, whatever.

If you can keep a flow and the cipher enjoyable, to me that's big. And if you do mix your writtens in, do it slickly, and don't overdo it. Personally I keep that to a minimum, because like I said, those parts of me are still separated by a big margin of quality, but if I happen to spew out an end rhyme that goes with somethin I've written and I can slide a slick line in, so be it. Beyond that it's all off top wit us.

Even if you pride yourself on written ability like me, I think at least being able to freestyle a little is commendable if not necessary.

Oddly enough, as much as this Solar guy ain't gettin no love, he did speak on freestyling, and dropped a bit of knowledge. With all the technology available you can chop a dog barking and make em sound on beat. ? you can split a 16 into 16 individual tracks if you want. Freestyling is a testament to that person's ability to think quickly, inherently have that beat-flow. Not to mention breath control. Something a shitload of these rappers lack. And they ain't even sayin enough to need to catch their breath. My verses are some tongue-twisters with the amount of syllables, and I resent having to punch in even once. These mufuckas nowadays...

Oh ? there I go on a hatin ass rant again..
    My 2 cents.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I do have a different level of respect for a ? who can go off the top of the dome, but if he can't...i don't give a ? . I like MUSIC. Regardless of how it's given.
  • 4 POUND
    edited April 2010
    Options
    agree with all those posts...to some extent..
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    well if u come off top it makes u tighter imo, but only if i see it on rap city or sum(fab, luda) other than that i could care less....

all that realest ? i never wrote on an album track ? ...i could care less...
  • ShencotheMC
    ShencotheMC Members Posts: 26,051 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I guess what I'm trynna say is, could you still respect a rapper whose freestyle game is wack, but they're pen game is crazy? Like, would you still think that they're nice, buy/DL the album, even though they can't come off top of the dome?
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    shenco wrote: »
    I guess what I'm trynna say is, could you still respect a rapper whose freestyle game is wack, but they're pen game is crazy? Like, would you still think that they're nice, buy/DL the album, even though they can't come off top of the dome?

yes...for example

ive heard both nas and game spit freestyles that were wacc imo, but still nas is one of tha goats imo, and game got quite a few hot songs...
  • The Smooth One
    The Smooth One Members Posts: 725
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Thing is I feel like someone of these older dudes are out of practice on the freestyle tip, just cuz they've been out of the environment that long. I remember hearing some Firm-era freestyles that Nas murdered. Jigga can really freestyle too. People clam up sometimes. It happens.

I maintain that I'm competent off top, but have spit some wack ass ? no lie. Then I'll counter it with something that blows that out of the water. *shrug*
  • 4 POUND
    edited April 2010
    Options
    shenco wrote: »

i would respect their pen game...and i would listen to they ? ...i mean its not the end all be all..but i think that if ur pen game is nice enough u should be able to come off top with some level of skill...and i would say u were a great..musician maybe..but not a great mc, per se...

alotta people kant make songs, but kan free...alot kant free but kan make songs...

i like the off the top ? strictly for the unpredictability of it...it shows more skills, imo...but i kan respect somebody if they aint too great at frestyling...i started that way...and mastered my craft all the way around...but i mean...how long are we talkin uve been writing? bc in ur first couple years...i kan understand that...but it komes with progression...

i respect somebody who kan coherently come off the top, as well as make songs...more that i respect somebody who kan make songs, but kant free at all...but thats just my opinion...based soley on skill level...
  • Aztec_Kang
    Aztec_Kang Members Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    i think freestyling is a very important element of hip hop.

the thing is the definition of freestyling has been destroyed in a way by all these freestyle battle dvds where you got cats like jae mills and them reciting verses they wrote.

but really freestyling off the dome is a rare quality that not a lot of rappers posses. i think if you're able to freestyle good enough it makes your shows more exciting because you can throw in some freestyles here and there to get the crowd really into it. But a lot of rappers won't freestyle out of fear of coming off wack in public.