How did the South take over Hip-hop, and how did "True" Hip-hop let it die?

Options

Comments

• TX_Made713
    TX_Made713 Members Posts: 3,954 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    simple.....people want to party now

i was in the club and the dj played a "real hip hop" record...the crowd looked bored as ? ......then he threw that wayne on and everybody went crazy

that basically sums up why the south runs it.
  • thetruth391
    thetruth391 Members Posts: 2,367 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    the south is not bad. remedial ? from the south are (waka flocka, soulja, (enter dumb as name) boys
  • Beware
    Beware Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Jay107 wrote: »
    knowing that the wu-tang reign ended when the death row and bad boy era began, when is it that you are saying the south started taking over?..

the ? are you talking about???

wu tangs prime 93 - 97

death row prime 92 - 96

bad boy 93 - 97

wu tangs prime ended before they dropped their first album?? what are you on?
  • Yung_Souf_Money
    Yung_Souf_Money Members Posts: 4,019 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    it's sad that people have this much hate for the south,they mad cause they aint eating anymore
  • theillestrator
    theillestrator Members Posts: 1,085 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    the south has been supporting the south the whole time. around the cash money/no limit era, it started spreading outside of the region. later, Lil Jon and the ATL dudes started to expand on the crunk ? which had already been around...simple lyrics and hard beats. Not to hate, but now it seems that the theory is: the dumber you can sound, the better you will do.
  • Dickey Simpkins
    Dickey Simpkins Members Posts: 277
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Collectively the Midwest has the best MC's right now......but I think what has maintained the south's dominance is the beats. The beat production from the south is second to none
  • thetruth391
    thetruth391 Members Posts: 2,367 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Collectively the Midwest has the best MC's right now......but I think what has maintained the south's dominance is the beats. The beat production from the south is second to none

cosign this post
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    TX_Made713 wrote: »
    simple.....people want to party now

i was in the club and the dj played a "real hip hop" record...the crowd looked bored as ? ......then he threw that wayne on and everybody went crazy

that basically sums up why the south runs it.

There is a time and place for everything though, in a club/party of course people would be bored if a certain song gets played, but there are times when I would rather hear some thought provoking ? over some rah rah non sense.
  • KarolinaKid
    KarolinaKid Members Posts: 203
    edited April 2010
    Options
    jamacia wrote: »
    There is a time and place for everything though, in a club/party of course people would be bored if a certain song gets played, but there are times when I would rather hear some thought provoking ? over some rah rah non sense.

Then Listen To
    B.oB.
    J. Cole
    Jay Elec.
    Outkast
    Cee-lo
    Jeezy
    Scarface
    T.i
    Luda
    Pill
    Killer Mike
    etc.
    Smh At ppl actin like there aint lyrical Rappers In the south. what maks the south so great is that it has a diverse group of rappers and isnt just stuck in one lane like most other regions if u dont wanna listn to the rappers u consider wack then dont its other artist out there
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ? swear they gotta listen to the South
    the South dont need your suppot
    go listen to your ?
  • lady_c
    lady_c Members Posts: 201
    edited April 2010
    Options
    it's not about taking over and or giving up the reigns.

ppl want what they want. if someone is popular it's bc thats what ppl want.
  • KarolinaKid
    KarolinaKid Members Posts: 203
    edited April 2010
    Options
    lady_c wrote: »
    it's not about taking over and or giving up the reigns.

ppl want what they want. if someone is popular it's bc thats what ppl want.

C/s people jus upset cuh da south >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> The Other Regions
  • I'm THAT guy...
    I'm THAT guy... Members Posts: 2,544
    edited April 2010
    Options
    IMO, the South has so many artists that can put out the diff. types of music ppl want to hear...

Coke Rap - Gucci, Jeezy, T.I, Rick Ross
    Concious Rap - J.Cole, Jay Elec, B.O.B
    Punchlines - Lil Wayne, Ludacris,
    Gangsta Rap - Trae, Waka Flaka, Alley Boy

Plus the fact that alot of artist feel they need a southern artist on their songs to make them hits also shows why the South is currently on top
  • Beware
    Beware Members Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    IMO, the South has so many artists that can put out the diff. types of music ppl want to hear...

Coke Rap - Gucci, Jeezy, T.I, Rick Ross
    Concious Rap - J.Cole, Jay Elec, B.O.B
    Punchlines - Lil Wayne, Ludacris,
    Gangsta Rap - Trae, Waka Flaka, Alley Boy

Plus the fact that alot of artist feel they need a southern artist on their songs to make them hits also shows why the South is currently on top

how you gon say coke rap and not immediately say clips?? smh
  • I'm THAT guy...
    I'm THAT guy... Members Posts: 2,544
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Beware wrote: »
    how you gon say coke rap and not immediately say clips?? smh

Even though from from Virginia I never really considered Clipse to be "Southern Hip Hop", but yeah my mistake
  • Ounceman
    Ounceman Members Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

Hmmmm, my mind often ponders and a thought just came to mind when i read the bolded. usually, when it comes to southern rap, almost everybody will say the lyrics arent up to par and pretty simplistic but when it comes to the beats, they are not only good but they are also the only thing keeping that listener's attention. and rightfully so, seeing that some of my fav producers are from the south.

but what i find highly interesting is that blues, gospel, funk, and specifically jazz( the musical artform that laid the groundwork for every genre that came after it) also came from the south. its like the south was always musically inclined from the beginning. so its like the beats in hip hop they use now would almost have no other choice but to be so strong. or is it just a coincidence? does anybody else see this correlation or am i reaching?
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Easy, the Recording Industry said it was time for the south to shine. The industry wanted watered down, user friendly Hip Hop.
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    There's a million and one reasons we could dish out (especially as to why NY fell off) but the two biggest reasons imo are:

1. The overall "culture" of the South
    2. having a production sound and sticking to it
    3. overall generational shift in taste in hip hop

1.-Basically, it has to do with the fact that culture is a huge part of Hip Hop. And in the South (and when I say culture i mean slang, religion, fashion, outlook on life, tastes, etc), you find that the culture there is very similar to many different parts of the nation. Reason being? Because many Black people who live in say Cali or Michigan or Ohio originally have roots in the South. There's bound to be some sort of cultural overlap which increases the relatability of the music.

The East Coast however? Many of the Blacks there are not African American, but have roots in the Caribbean. That coupled with being raised in very close proximity to the Irish, The Jews, Puerto Ricans, and Italians leads to a completely different culture created. Plus there's the Muslim influence in the East Coast as well that incredibly effects the culture. In Layman's terms, East Coast rap is far less inclusive culturally due to being created by individuals who were raised in very unique circumstances (think of how unique stereotypical East Coast slang is and that pretty much is a perfect example).

You may ask, "if that's the case, why did the East coast have a run at all?" and the answer is because when any genre or any media starts out initially, where do you think the talent mostly comes from? MEDIA CENTERS. It's no coincidence that Hip Hop first got big on the East Coast (where NYC is) and the West Coast (where LA is) seeing as how this would be where the labels would be set up at. And by recruiting artists in your own backyard, that cuts down on costs. But as Hip Hop got more profitable, labels now could employ and fund more A&R's who could search for talent all around the nation (and more talent spots emerge with time) and find artists with regional buzzes outside of NYC and LA. And that's pretty much how Southern dominance bean (1998-today).

2-Self explanatory. The South has had New Orleans Bounce, Miami Bass, Lil Jon style crunk , screw, snap music, the soulja boy esque dancing, the list goes on. A definitive sound gives local acts gives the region a signature sound.

3-Pretty much the handing of the game from Generation X (those born from 61-81) to the current generations was a major affect on the game. Understand that Gen. X were the ones who witnessed the civil rights movement and the overall revolutionary tone of the 60's. They witnessed the recession of the 70's and Reagan era trickle down economics. They were there for the urban decay of the 70's and 80's. Basically, there was a lot of pent up anger and frustration there, which is why the music then was far more diverse.

But for current generations, we've never really known those circumstances. Clinton and the economic boom of the 90's made us docile. Technology and our calorie loaded food has made us fat and lazy. Over reliance on the media and tech. has all but killed personal research on topics (and reading). Music is often time the reflection of any current generation, so of course much of popular music would be nothing more than substance-less, wit-less drivel centered around materialism and swag.
  • tupacfan35
    tupacfan35 Members Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    There's a million and one reasons we could dish out (especially as to why NY fell off) but the two biggest reasons imo are:

1.-Basically, it has to do with the fact that culture is a huge part of Hip Hop. And in the South (and when I say culture i mean slang, religion, fashion, outlook on life, tastes, etc), you find that the culture there is very similar to many different parts of the nation. Reason being? Because many Black people who live in say Cali or Michigan or Ohio originally have roots in the South. There's bound to be some sort of cultural overlap which increases the relatability of the music.

The East Coast however? Many of the Blacks there are not African American, but have roots in the Caribbean. That coupled with being raised in very close proximity to the Irish, The Jews, Puerto Ricans, and Italians leads to a completely different culture created. Plus there's the Muslim influence in the East Coast as well that incredibly effects the culture. In Layman's terms, East Coast rap is far less inclusive culturally due to being created by individuals who were raised in very unique circumstances (think of how unique stereotypical East Coast slang is and that pretty much is a perfect example).

You may ask, "if that's the case, why did the East coast have a run at all?" and the answer is because when any genre or any media starts out initially, where do you think the talent mostly comes from? MEDIA CENTERS. It's no coincidence that Hip Hop first got big on the East Coast (where NYC is) and the West Coast (where LA is) seeing as how this would be where the labels would be set up at. And by recruiting artists in your own backyard, that cuts down on costs. But as Hip Hop got more profitable, labels now could employ and fund more A&R's who could search for talent all around the nation (and more talent spots emerge with time) and find artists with regional buzzes outside of NYC and LA. And that's pretty much how Southern dominance bean (1998-today).

2-Self explanatory. The South has had New Orleans Bounce, Miami Bass, Lil Jon style crunk , screw, snap music, the soulja boy esque dancing, the list goes on. A definitive sound gives local acts gives the region a signature sound.

3-Pretty much the handing of the game from Generation X (those born from 61-81) to the current generations was a major affect on the game. Understand that Gen. X were the ones who witnessed the civil rights movement and the overall revolutionary tone of the 60's. They witnessed the recession of the 70's and Reagan era trickle down economics. They were there for the urban decay of the 70's and 80's. Basically, there was a lot of pent up anger and frustration there, which is why the music then was far more diverse.

But for current generations, we've never really known those circumstances. Clinton and the economic boom of the 90's made us docile. Technology and our calorie loaded food has made us fat and lazy. Over reliance on the media and tech. has all but killed personal research on topics (and reading). Music is often time the reflection of any current generation, so of course much of popular music would be nothing more than substance-less, wit-less drivel centered around materialism and swag.

The Federal reserve is really responsible for the booms and the busts.
  • damon03
    damon03 Members Posts: 493
    edited April 2010
    Options
    True hip hop huh? Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't hip hop start out because they wanted to get the party poppin?
  • hnic1978
    hnic1978 Members Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    tompetrez3 wrote: »
    niggar please. 50 and Nas pushed Jay Z into retirement. 50 sold 11 million in 2003. and nelly/em did 7 and 8 million respectively the year before. Jay Z retired because he was washed up and couldnt keep up in a young mans game.

R U ? SERIOUS?????? Your obsessive hate for Jay-Z has u really sounding stupid this time. What did this man do to you that EVERYTHING he does you ? on. Jay could make an album with Jesus and you would say its the worse thing ever. Isn't that about the time when he sold out MSG and have whole hip hop industry backstage???? Yeah dogg Jay was washed up.
  • Neva_Change
    Neva_Change Members Posts: 385 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Things have changed. Either adapt with the times or go out with the dinosaurs like Rakim....
  • Ajax McJones
    Ajax McJones Members Posts: 2,665 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    all rappers are just trying to be lada gaga these days, and she is from new york!
  • mattee c
    mattee c Members Posts: 693
    edited April 2010
    Options

Out of all these posts, this actually makes the most sense. Especially what you said about East coast artists being less inclusive culturally because of those artists being raised in unique circumstances. Unlike most people in the South, I have friends from NY and have been there myself. Therefore, I feel like I have a slightly better understanding of NY / East coast culture than most Southerners. To me, this disparity is why most people in the South don't ? with too many NY artists other than Jay-Z. That doesn't mean we don't recognize the lyrical skill of Nas, Raekwon, Ghostface, etc., it's just the subject matter that most can't relate to. Compared to the South, NY is a different world. Most people down South have never ridden on, or seen, a subway for example.
  • Pelly Adams
    Pelly Adams Members Posts: 52
    edited April 2010
    Options
    I read a few posts and I'm happy to see that no one brought up Texas and our artists as the reason why the south sucks...for that i thank you. Now, to answer the thread question:

simple one word answer: beats.

East coast and West lacks in this category today...sure, east may pull out a catchy beat hear and there, that empire state of mind beat is pretty good...but that's few and far between, example blueprint 3 or any ny rapper's album today or last years....

imo that is the key factor...lesser factors would probably be that east coast tries too hard to be poetic and coming up with complex rhymes....when really..."i be on your face like man's ? " is more proficient...lol, at least for today's young rap audience...

and that's who the key demographic is...young people...that's what they like, a tight beat and some drug addict screaming out catchphrases...

"? dez ? , if i'm gonna say anything, it's ? dez ? ezz".