Official Alicia Keys Appreciation Thread

Options

Comments

• usmarin3
    usmarin3 Members Posts: 38,013 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Punisher__ wrote: »
    Beyonce is a better performer...why? Because she shakes her ass, half naked on stage? Not arguing against that...but that's not being an artist. It's called being a stripper.

Alicia is too classy for that.

You should know she does actual choreography and by that logic, Tina Turner and Janet Jackson are strippers too. Performance is about stage presence and giving the audience something visually to go with the vocals. What's so creative about sitting behind a piano, even when the song doesn't require piano playing?

Yall give A Keyes a pass because yall fall for that I AM EVERYWOMAN ? , it's the same pass yall give Lauryn Hill. A Keyes is a poor mans Stevie Wonder, and like someone said, her music is so damn redundant at this point. She is lucky as ? Jay-z asked her to be on Empire because she had no buzz going for her with this last album
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    That's it?
    Yeh .
  • Punisher__
    Punisher__ Members Posts: 3,031 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    usmarin3 wrote: »
    You should know she does actual choreography and by that logic, Tina Turner and Janet Jackson are strippers too. Performance is about stage presence and giving the audience something visually to go with the vocals. What's so creative about sitting behind a piano, even when the song doesn't require piano playing?

Yall give A Keyes a pass because yall fall for that I AM EVERYWOMAN ? , it's the same pass yall give Lauryn Hill. A Keyes is a poor mans Stevie Wonder, and like someone said, her music is so damn redundant at this point. She is lucky as ? Jay-z asked her to be on Empire because she had no buzz going for her with this last album

We tend to give A. Keys a pass because, unlike her contemporaries, she lets the merit of her work speak for itself. That's the prototype artist.

She's never had to be half-naked on stage, wearing see-through outfits, shaking her ass to warrant acclaim. That's not what being a musician is about. And poor man's Stevie Wonder? Stevie is one of the GOATS. Better to be a poor man's Stevie Wonder than a poor man's Ronnie. Wouldn't you say?

And her music is redundant? I don't know about y'all ? , but The Element of Freedom is her most atypical album, in terms of sound. But you'd actually have to listen to it to know that.
  • Hyde Parke
    Hyde Parke Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    who cares, they both have little bitty tittays.
  • laroc
    laroc Members Posts: 1,000
    edited April 2010
    Options
    fiat_money wrote: »
    Debatable.

How so? She ain't got a full bloodied African ass but she do got a nice ? cutter, bro.
  • fiat_money
    fiat_money Members Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    laroc wrote: »
    How so? She ain't got a full bloodied African ass but she do got a nice ? cutter, bro.
    Word, she has something, but it's more of a wide, flat something.
    alicia-keys-barbados3.jpg
    alicia-keys-tribeca.jpg
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    We tend to give A. Keys a pass because, unlike her contemporaries, she lets the merit of her work speak for itself. That's the prototype artist.

She's never had to be half-naked on stage, wearing see-through outfits, shaking her ass to warrant acclaim. That's not what being a musician is about. And poor man's Stevie Wonder? Stevie is one of the GOATS. Better to be a poor man's Stevie Wonder than a poor man's Ronnie. Wouldn't you say?

And her music is redundant? I don't know about y'all ? , but The Element of Freedom is her most atypical album, in terms of sound. But you'd actually have to listen to it to know that.

So we are gonna overlook her whorish ways, and fall for the i am woman hear me roar gimmick.
  • Ace Boon
    Ace Boon Members Posts: 880 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
  • Punisher__
    edited April 2010
    Options
    So we are gonna overlook her whorish ways, and fall for the i am woman hear me roar gimmick.

Not necessarily.

But when compared alongside Beyonce, Alicia is just on a whole completely different level artistically. She's a singer/songwriter/composer/producer/multi-instrumentalist. She's able to do things, musically, that Beyonce can't simply because Beyonce is not as multi-faceted. All she has is a voice.
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Not necessarily.

But when compared alongside Beyonce, Alicia is just on a whole completely different level artistically. She's a singer/songwriter/composer/producer/multi-instrumentalist. She's able to do things, musically, that Beyonce can't simply because Beyonce is not as multi-faceted. All she has is a voice.

So you are saying A Keyes is better vocally and performance wise, i want to get this right because if you are tryna argue on that merit you are not right on either one of those. I'll give you producer even though Krucial Keys does alot of ? , Beyonce writes songs too.

To me this a content argument, not a talent one because vocally they are not close.
  • thetruth391
    thetruth391 Members Posts: 2,367 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Not necessarily.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  • Punisher__
    edited April 2010
    Options
    So you are saying A Keyes is better vocally and performance wise, i want to get this right because if you are tryna argue on that merit you are not right on either one of those. I'll give you producer even though Krucial Keys does alot of ? , Beyonce writes songs too.

To me this a content argument, not a talent one because vocally they are not close.

Beyonce is better than A. Keys vocally. I'll admit that. But that's all Beyonce really has. And we all know there's more to take into account when discussing artistry, besides vocals. Alicia has Beyonce beat on just about everything else.
  • UPTOWN
    UPTOWN Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 13,009 Regulator
    edited April 2010
    Options
    How is she better than Beyonce, B is better vocally and a way better performer. Content is all a relative term, people relate to different music for different reasons. A Keyes look uncomfortable as hell when she ain't behind the piano

if u werent a jay stan id actually think about respecting ur post
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Beyonce is better than A. Keys vocally. I'll admit that. But that's all Beyonce really has. And we all know there's more to take into account when discussing artistry, besides vocals. Alicia has Beyonce beat on just about everything else.

Yall are making it seems like there is this great imbalance and are tipping the scale. Since Beyonce doesn't play and instrument, it's not even fair to bring up that aspect. What you can judge them on is their vocal ability, perfomance, and songwriting. I'll give yall songwriting but there is no way in hell you are telling me A Keys is better vocally or performance wise.

Like i said, content is a relative subject because it's all relative to the listener. Thriller wasn't a deep album, neither was Off the Wall,etc.
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    wow, its ? that actually think beyonce is a better ? than a. keys!!!

shocked the hell outta me..
  • UPTOWN
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Ace Boon wrote: »
    excuse me while i clean off my keyboard and mouse
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Yall are making it seems like there is this great imbalance and are tipping the scale. Since Beyonce doesn't play and instrument, it's not even fair to bring up that aspect. What you can judge them on is their vocal ability, perfomance, and songwriting. I'll give yall songwriting but there is no way in hell you are telling me A Keys is better vocally or performance wise.

Like i said, content is a relative subject because it's all relative to the listener. Thriller wasn't a deep album, neither was Off the Wall,etc.

come on mane, really???
  • UPTOWN
    edited April 2010
    Options
    anybody arguing with usmarine is wasting time .... jay z is his lord and savior .... thus beyonce is his ? mary
  • THEsweetheart92
    THEsweetheart92 Members Posts: 1,089 ✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Alicia Keys is better than Beyonce.
    idc what anybody thinks.
  • usmarin3
    edited April 2010
    Options
    anybody arguing with usmarine is wasting time .... jay z is his lord and savior .... thus beyonce is his ? mary

Very predictable, how about you go get a girl and stop taking web pics of yourself and posting them in your avi ? .
  • Punisher__
    edited April 2010
    Options

To be fair, that's what gives Alicia the edge. She's been classically trained for this ? . So it is fair for people to bring it up. Perhaps people should just stop comparing Beyonce to people who are clearly out of her league.

The girl can sing. I have no problems admitting that. But that's really all she can do.

And Alicia is a more lowkey, subtle performer. Doesn't mean she can't be better.
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    RIP this thread
  • Punisher__
    edited April 2010
    Options
    ? Shitman wrote: »
    RIP this thread

c/s.

Everytime a thread gets moved, it dies.

Never understood why mods do that ? , but oh well.

RIP.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options

Actually its an artistic argument... Haven't gave Alicia's new album a good listen yet but I wasn't feeling the singles. I'm listening now. Sasha Fierce album was mediocre... Beyonce doesn't make great albums. Alicia has in the past. Beyonce is better vocally and performance wise but I think its safe to say Alicia makes better timeless music.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2010
    Options
    Alicia helped Jay to one of his biggest hits in years for crying out loud...

His Missus is yet to achieve that...