Will turned down the Django cuz his character would've been second fiddle to the bounty hunter

Options

Comments

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    s.free wrote: »
    Broddie wrote: »
    Tom cruise has a deal with paramount he doesn't have a ? choice in roles. He does what they tell him to.

Wow you have no idea what you're talking about. The Cruiser may be psychotic but everything he does he does it on his own terms. Tom Cruise has a deal with paramount through his production company where in he brings projects he's interested in to them and gets them to give them the greenlight (Ie: M:I movies which paramount was going to reboot before Cruise convinced them otherwise before the 4th movie, Jack Reacher) and then he also ends up starring in them and getting a sweet back end deal as a producer to make even more dollars.

He's also not limited to only making films for Paramount pictures in his deal. Which is why Oblivion is a Universal release.

The last time Tom Cruise was backed into a corner and forced to take a role he didn't want to take it was still the early 1980's.

Ur right I was misinformed. Don't get in ur feelings about ur white Jesus. Relax. Apparently paramount cut him. Mgm offered him a similar but lesser deal.

I'm watching enemy of the state right now then I'm watching I robot. ? y'all.

I'm not even a Tom Cruise fan though he's made movies I like. I don't like your deity the Fresh Prince either who has also made some movies I've liked. Unlike you I don't let race dictate whether I like an actor or not. I simply check misinformation whenever I see it in any conversation. You may have no problem talking out of your ass to suit your arguments but I'm somebody who likes to deal with something called facts instead. Conversations tend to be a lot more interesting when reality and not fantasy is brought forth to the table.
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tom cruise has a deal with paramount he doesn't have a ? choice in roles. He does what they tell him to.

Wow you have no idea what you're talking about. The Cruiser may be psychotic but everything he does he does it on his own terms. Tom Cruise has a deal with paramount through his production company where in he brings projects he's interested in to them and gets them to give them the greenlight (Ie: M:I movies which paramount was going to reboot before Cruise convinced them otherwise before the 4th movie, Jack Reacher) and then he also ends up starring in them and getting a sweet back end deal as a producer to make even more dollars.

He's also not limited to only making films for Paramount pictures in his deal. Which is why Oblivion is a Universal release.

The last time Tom Cruise was backed into a corner and forced to take a role he didn't want to take it was still the early 1980's.

Ur right I was misinformed. Don't get in ur feelings about ur white Jesus. Relax. Apparently paramount cut him. Mgm offered him a similar but lesser deal.

I'm not even a Tom Cruise fan though he's made movies I like. I don't like your deity the Fresh Prince either who has also made some movies I've liked. Unlike you I don't let race dictate whether I like an actor or not. I simply check misinformation whenever I see it in any conversation. You may have no problem talking out of your ass to suit your arguments but I'm somebody who likes to deal with something called facts instead. Conversations tend to be a lot more interesting when reality and not fantasy is brought forth to the table.

Don't pull that card. I went and checked what I thought was true vs ur info which was also false. Chill with that high and mighty ? cause ur "facts" weren't facts at all.
  • Broddie
    edited April 2013
    Options

Don't pull that card. I went and checked what I thought was true vs ur info which was also false. Chill with that high and mighty ? cause ur "facts" weren't facts at all.

Guy; Paramount famously cut their exclusive deal with Cruise/Wagner because Cruise/Wagner g'd them and were getting way more royalty points than Paramount wanted for the home video releases and box office of the Mission: Impossible movies. Paramount was then contemplating rebooting Mission: Impossible with people like Brad Pitt in the lead once they cut Tom Cruise off.

Yet a couple of years later they ended up not rebooting and hiring Cruise/Wagner again to continue the M:I movies and took up Cruise/Wagner on their option of making a movie out of a famous Lee Child novel series starring Reacher. So Paramount had to get in bed with the guy once again after cutting him off anyway. This is all googable because it's CONCRETE truth. The only one fabricating ? up in this thread is you and you're so emotional about it that you can't even be man enough to admit it. Then again I shouldn't expect an obvious ? to act like a man so my apologies.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    minority report.

Spielberg's last best film as well . .
  • Broddie
    edited April 2013
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    minority report.

Spielberg's last best film as well . .

I didn't like Minority Report. To me that title belongs to Munich.

But yeah Spielberg fell way the ? off. To me his last good sci-fi ? was the first 2 acts of A.I.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CS on Will ? ' out. Like I said in my post, top actors bring the best outta any role. IE, Anthony Hopkins in Silence of the Lambs. ? was in the film for a total of like 15 minutes and its probably his most memorable role
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Let's put it into perspective here . .

I used to be a massive fan of Will, the 'actor' in the 90s. Hugely anticipated any film of his

But as time passed, I lost interest. I became a huge buff of independent and foreign language cinema. I still go to see the occasional summer blockbuster now and then depending on word of mouth . .

Will is within his right to turn down Tarantino fair enough but what is the last Will Smith movie that had folk in discussion? Exactly

MIB3 went and disappeared. Of course it made money. Django is nearly half a billi worldwide 3 months on

(MIB 3 has grossed over 650 Million Worldwide, it's a sci-fi comedy and not a serious drama like Django. It hardly disappeared being one of the biggest films of 2012, it's one of the most successful sci-fi Trilogies ever)

Leo DiCaprio is as big a movie star as Will is, commands about the same salary and produces films yet he showed up half way through the film.

(Leo movies do not gross more than Will Smith on average even though he's in the Biggest grossing movie ever "Titanic" and "Inception" did very well but most of Leo's box office isn't that huge, Leo does not have the same pressures to have success that Will Smith Does. Leo started out doing dramas. Also Leo was the supporting character in "Django" he wasn't the lead. Will Smith is still a Black Man a the end of the day so he will always be held to a different standard than White Actors. If Leo drops a drama and it flops nobody will say anything. If Will flops it worldwide news on every paper just like Tom Cruise. Every time Tom under performs it's worldwide news. The point is Will have to be very careful in all the roles he chooses.)

Schultz character murks Leo yes but he himself gets murked as well in that blood-bath. Jamie kills Leo's right-hand man and most trusted who is sadly a self-hating ? . . Jamie at the end rides off into the sunset with his missus

(The name of the movie is "Django" yet Django does not ? the person responsible for putting his wife in chains. LOL @ "He kills his right hand man" who happens to be another slave, what message did that send? QT did not want Django to ? the person responsible for his wife but he was fine with him killing another Slave who is a product of slavery. A house ? is nothing more than a brainwashed slave of his circustance. Stephen is just as much of a victim than any slave even if he is a sellout.)

Jamie's character to my knowledge was a man of few words, his sole intent to rescue his wife. How the ? was he gonna do that as a Black man in that era without the help of the bounty hunter? No matter how demeaning?

(This is what QT wants world to believe but it's not the case. History clearly shows there were plenty of Slave up risings and plenty of Black Militias that fought back. All QT did was do another "White Savior" plot driven film where once again White people have to the ones to "Save" or "Help" the black person on their mission. It's been done a millions times)

And I don't care what nobody says here, that scene where Jamie is all dressed up and clean whipping that ? ass cracka on the floor has to be one of the most iconic scenes in cinematic history .

(It was a powerful scene but hardly iconic)

Will apparently doesn't want to alienate his white fan base with a 'controversial' character

(7 Pounds was a conversational character and Will suffered as it was his lowest box office in 12 years)

And Jamie Foxx as an actor >>> Will Smith

Who's the Oscar winner outta the two? Exactly

(Debateable who's better, Jamie has way more FILLER flop films in his catalog than Will does. Oscars are about timing. Will Smith went up against Denzel, Russell Crowe, Peter Otoole and Forrest Whitker which are some of the best actors for his oscars. The point is Will has been nominated twice so it's not like he only does Blockbusters. One of Will's 1st roles was a ? hustler in "6 degrees" which would be a risk for any black actor at that time.

The bottom line is Will Smith was the 1ST choice for Django for a reason. Jamie got Will's leftovers and didn't even do a great job. Will would not have been out shinned by 3 other actors the way Jamie was.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    Let's put it into perspective here . .

I used to be a massive fan of Will, the 'actor' in the 90s. Hugely anticipated any film of his

But as time passed, I lost interest. I became a huge buff of independent and foreign language cinema. I still go to see the occasional summer blockbuster now and then depending on word of mouth . .

Will is within his right to turn down Tarantino fair enough but what is the last Will Smith movie that had folk in discussion? Exactly

MIB3 went and disappeared. Of course it made money. Django is nearly half a billi worldwide 3 months on

(MIB 3 has grossed over 650 Million Worldwide, it's a sci-fi comedy and not a serious drama like Django. It hardly disappeared being one of the biggest films of 2012, it's one of the most successful sci-fi Trilogies ever)

Leo DiCaprio is as big a movie star as Will is, commands about the same salary and produces films yet he showed up half way through the film.

(Leo movies do not gross more than Will Smith on average even though he's in the Biggest grossing movie ever "Titanic" and "Inception" did very well but most of Leo's box office isn't that huge, Leo does not have the same pressures to have success that Will Smith Does. Leo started out doing dramas. Also Leo was the supporting character in "Django" he wasn't the lead. Will Smith is still a Black Man a the end of the day so he will always be held to a different standard than White Actors. If Leo drops a drama and it flops nobody will say anything. If Will flops it worldwide news on every paper just like Tom Cruise. Every time Tom under performs it's worldwide news. The point is Will have to be very careful in all the roles he chooses.)

Schultz character murks Leo yes but he himself gets murked as well in that blood-bath. Jamie kills Leo's right-hand man and most trusted who is sadly a self-hating ? . . Jamie at the end rides off into the sunset with his missus

(The name of the movie is "Django" yet Django does not ? the person responsible for putting his wife in chains. LOL @ "He kills his right hand man" who happens to be another slave, what message did that send? QT did not want Django to ? the person responsible for his wife but he was fine with him killing another Slave who is a product of slavery. A house ? is nothing more than a brainwashed slave of his circustance. Stephen is just as much of a victim than any slave even if he is a sellout.)

Jamie's character to my knowledge was a man of few words, his sole intent to rescue his wife. How the ? was he gonna do that as a Black man in that era without the help of the bounty hunter? No matter how demeaning?

(This is what QT wants world to believe but it's not the case. History clearly shows there were plenty of Slave up risings and plenty of Black Militias that fought back. All QT did was do another "White Savior" plot driven film where once again White people have to the ones to "Save" or "Help" the black person on their mission. It's been done a millions times)

And I don't care what nobody says here, that scene where Jamie is all dressed up and clean whipping that ? ass cracka on the floor has to be one of the most iconic scenes in cinematic history .

(It was a powerful scene but hardly iconic)

Will apparently doesn't want to alienate his white fan base with a 'controversial' character

(7 Pounds was a conversational character and Will suffered as it was his lowest box office in 12 years)

And Jamie Foxx as an actor >>> Will Smith

Who's the Oscar winner outta the two? Exactly

(Debateable who's better, Jamie has way more FILLER flop films in his catalog than Will does. Oscars are about timing. Will Smith went up against Denzel, Russell Crowe, Peter Otoole and Forrest Whitker which are some of the best actors for his oscars. The point is Will has been nominated twice so it's not like he only does Blockbusters. One of Will's 1st roles was a ? hustler in "6 degrees" which would be a risk for any black actor at that time.

The bottom line is Will Smith was the 1ST choice for Django for a reason. Jamie got Will's leftovers and didn't even do a great job. Will would not have been out shinned by 3 other actors the way Jamie was.

We'll never kno'...Coz Will was too shook to take the part
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    7 Pounds was ? though . .
  • rip.dilla
    edited April 2013
    Options
    And Will has also fallen to Hollywood stereotype on Black leads if you will . .

He was carrying a White man's golf clubs in Bagger Vance

He was under the 'White Woman' trance in Hancock

Point is that ? way too safe . .
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And Will has also fallen to Hollywood streotype on Black leads if you will . .

He was under the 'White Woman' trance in Hancock. .

to this day i still dont get that movie. It started out good and then took a turn for the worst.
  • Disciplined InSight
    Disciplined InSight Members Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And Will has also fallen to Hollywood streotype on Black leads if you will . .

He was carrying a White man's golf clubs in Bagger Vance

He was under the 'White Woman' trance in Hancock

Point is that ? way too safe . .

I agree with this. Will is one of the most known "safe and bankable" Black actors in Hollyweird.
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    tbh, i can't ever imagine Will projecting the sort of simmering rage Jamie did....can you?

the only scene where Will woulda been better was the whole scene at the end inside the house. he woulda shined during all that ? -talking

imo will is just best suited to roles where he can wisecrack and let that charisma shine through.....its not that he CAN'T play a soft-spoken, strong-silent type, its that dat kinda role wastes his strengths.

thats why I don't think he would've been better than Keanu in The Matrix (and yep, he turned that down for Wild Wild West lolsmh)....Neo needed to be this quiet kid that was just seemed amazed by everything going on around him
    “You know, The Matrix is a difficult concept to pitch. In the pitch, I just didn’t see it. I watched Keanu’s performance – and very rarely do I say this – but I would have messed it up. I would have absolutely messed up The Matrix. At that point I wasn’t smart enough as an actor to let the movie be. Whereas Keanu was smart enough to just let it be. Let the movie and the director tell the story, and don’t try and perform every moment.

wow I never saw this......lol damn he got EXACTLY what I was getting at.....props for self-awareness.

yeah, some movies only work when the lead is to be wise and humble enough to sorta step out the way and let the director and the supporting cast do they thing
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    here we go these threads get way to predictable..? cant hold two people up at the same time so they go on a hypercritical revisionist history trip.. or do whatever they can to marginalize either or.. it happens everytime.. every situation.. when it comes to ? subjects..

Carry on though im sure the post i didnt read were riveting
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There's need to be a nat turner movie
  • rip.dilla
    Options
    Better yet . .

Will is the richest and most powerful Black man in Hollywood

He should bankroll that film Danny Glover been tryna make for a minute now . .

The one about the Haitian revolution(?)

What y'all think?
  • jay83
    jay83 Members Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »
    There's need to be a nat turner movie

Imagine playing the vidrogame online on xbox. Lol.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    Options
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    tbh, i can't ever imagine Will projecting the sort of simmering rage Jamie did....can you?

the only scene where Will woulda been better was the whole scene at the end inside the house. he woulda shined during all that ? -talking

imo will is just best suited to roles where he can wisecrack and let that charisma shine through.....its not that he CAN'T play a soft-spoken, strong-silent type, its that dat kinda role wastes his strengths.

thats why I don't think he would've been better than Keanu in The Matrix (and yep, he turned that down for Wild Wild West lolsmh)....Neo needed to be this quiet kid that was just seemed amazed by everything going on around him
    “You know, The Matrix is a difficult concept to pitch. In the pitch, I just didn’t see it. I watched Keanu’s performance – and very rarely do I say this – but I would have messed it up. I would have absolutely messed up The Matrix. At that point I wasn’t smart enough as an actor to let the movie be. Whereas Keanu was smart enough to just let it be. Let the movie and the director tell the story, and don’t try and perform every moment.

wow I never saw this......lol damn he got EXACTLY what I was getting at.....props for self-awareness.

yeah, some movies only work when the lead is to be wise and humble enough to sorta step out the way and let the director and the supporting cast do they thing

Shows his limitations as an actor. That white dude from Titantic played a vicious slave owner. The best actors can play a variety of roles. That's why, despite his high grossin' movies (which have nothin' to do with talent. Can't believe we're on a hip-hop board and folk are bringin' that up), he's not in the top 3 of the under 50 category. Leo, Brad Pitt and Johnny Depp >>> Maybe he'd even struggle to get into the top 5. Coz Jamie Foxx, Matt Damon, Christian Bale and maybe even Jake Gyllenhaal should all be in the discussion
  • sdotcarter111
    sdotcarter111 Members Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Will turned down the Matrix role in order to film, "Wild Wild West"

You could replace Matrix with Django and "smart enough" with "humble enough" and it would be almost the same thing.

“You know, Django is a difficult concept to pitch. In the pitch, I just didn’t see it. I watched Jamie's performance – and very rarely do I say this – but I would have messed it up. I would have absolutely messed up Django. At this point I am not humble or gracious enough as an actor to let the movie be. Whereas Jamie was smart enough to just let it be. Let the movie and the director tell the story, and don’t try and perform every moment. I would have tried to make the movie about my performance when that wasn't the script, because i'm a male diva and a hoe ass ? "

Some parts may have been paraphrased at the end.
  • rapmastermind
    rapmastermind Members Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Well only bad Sell out role to me was "Bagger Vance" but that was him trying to get out of the Blockbuster zone and do some dramas. It was directed by Robert Redford also. Many felt 6 Degrees was a sellout film for him playing a ? man back in the day (It was rumored Denzel told him not to do it). "Hancock" was a Black Super Hero film something we don't get often so for that I give it props. I did have a problem with aspects of the story but believe it or not it was originally written for a White Actor according to the Screenwriter. Which would explain the White Wife. Will sold that movie, anyone else it probably would of flopped. His other films were again Blockbusters that worked for him.

Bad Boys and Men in Black were like buddy films. "Wild Wild West" was a mess. "I, Robot and I am Legend" were decent Sci-Fi films. ID4 is a Classic. "Enemy of the State" was a dope film. "Ali" and "Pursuit of Happyness" were both soild dramas. "Shark Tale" was a pretty good Animated feature. "Hitch" he proved he can do a romatic comedy. What makes Will great is his versatility across many different genres. As for Will doing a Slave Revenge movie, probably won't happen now with "Django" being a success. I just hope Will does that Egyptian King film.

Also Will does have his own production company called "Overbrook Entertainment" and they've done a lot of films including producing "After Earth" this summer which is a lock to be a hit. I think it's clear that Will is trying to push his son out there. Will chose "Men In Black 3" over "Django" mainly cause he had been off the Big Screen in 4 years and he was coming off his worst performing film in 12 with "7 Pounds". He needed to have a safe landing back at the Box Office and it worked. Had QT been willing to make "Django" a stonger character than Waltz, Will might have done "Django" but it was obvious QT wanted everyone but "Django" to have a stronger role which is why Waltz, Leo and Sam outshinned Jamie bland character. Kerry Washington was also a very weak written character too which is shocking considering QT is known for writing strong female characters.

Will Smith as a Producer:

Year Title Production role Notes
    2002 Showtime Executive producer
    2003 Ride or Die Executive producer Direct-to-video
    2003–2007 All of Us Creator/Executive producer Television program
    88 episodes
    2004 The Seat Filler Executive producer Independent film
    2004 Saving Face Producer
    2006 ATL Producer
    2008 The Secret Life of Bees Producer
    2008 Lakeview Terrace Producer
    2010 The Karate Kid Producer Starring Jaden Smith
    2012 This Means War Producer
    2013 After Earth Producer/Story Credit
  • fuc_i_look_like
    fuc_i_look_like Members Posts: 9,190 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will ain't even that good of an actor, he is shoe horned into roles because he is Much like the rock. His race is indistinguishable and he is nonthreatening.

I lost my faith in will after I am Legend and hancock.

That ? ain't nothing but Cuba gooding jr with job security.

u do have a point. Just like The Rock, most of his love interests in his films are non black. Will has been following that trend for some years.
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    edited April 2013
    Options
    Well only bad Sell out role to me was "Bagger Vance" but that was him trying to get out of the Blockbuster zone and do some dramas. It was directed by Robert Redford also. Many felt 6 Degrees was a sellout film for him playing a ? man back in the day (It was rumored Denzel told him not to do it). "Hancock" was a Black Super Hero film something we don't get often so for that I give it props. I did have a problem with aspects of the story but believe it or not it was originally written for a White Actor according to the Screenwriter. Which would explain the White Wife. Will sold that movie, anyone else it probably would of flopped. His other films were again Blockbusters that worked for him.

Bad Boys and Men in Black were like buddy films. "Wild Wild West" was a mess. "I, Robot and I am Legend" were decent Sci-Fi films. ID4 is a Classic. "Enemy of the State" was a dope film. "Ali" and "Pursuit of Happyness" were both soild dramas. "Shark Tale" was a pretty good Animated feature. "Hitch" he proved he can do a romatic comedy. What makes Will great is his versatility across many different genres. As for Will doing a Slave Revenge movie, probably won't happen now with "Django" being a success. I just hope Will does that Egyptian King film.

Also Will does have his own production company called "Overbrook Entertainment" and they've done a lot of films including producing "After Earth" this summer which is a lock to be a hit. I think it's clear that Will is trying to push his son out there. Will chose "Men In Black 3" over "Django" mainly cause he had been off the Big Screen in 4 years and he was coming off his worst performing film in 12 with "7 Pounds". He needed to have a safe landing back at the Box Office and it worked. Had QT been willing to make "Django" a stonger character than Waltz, Will might have done "Django" but it was obvious QT wanted everyone but "Django" to have a stronger role which is why Waltz, Leo and Sam outshinned Jamie bland character. Kerry Washington was also a very weak written character too which is shocking considering QT is known for writing strong female characters.

Will Smith as a Producer:

Year Title Production role Notes
    2002 Showtime Executive producer
    2003 Ride or Die Executive producer Direct-to-video
    2003–2007 All of Us Creator/Executive producer Television program
    88 episodes
    2004 The Seat Filler Executive producer Independent film
    2004 Saving Face Producer
    2006 ATL Producer
    2008 The Secret Life of Bees Producer
    2008 Lakeview Terrace Producer
    2010 The Karate Kid Producer Starring Jaden Smith
    2012 This Means War Producer
    2013 After Earth Producer/Story Credit

Will isn't great across different genres. He basically plays Will Smith in his roles. Give him a space gun, give him a Smith and Wesson, give him fins and gils. He's still Will Smith.

And what's his production credits gotta do with the discussion?
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Will ain't even that good of an actor, he is shoe horned into roles because he is Much like the rock. His race is indistinguishable and he is nonthreatening.

I lost my faith in will after I am Legend and hancock.

That ? ain't nothing but Cuba gooding jr with job security.

u do have a point. Just like The Rock, most of his love interests in his films are non black. Will has been following that trend for some years.

If I'm not mistaken most of will smith love interests are black.