Well damn, more couples than ever are signing "relationship contracts"

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2013 in The Powder Room
By CATHERINE TOWNSEND

'I promise you that I am going to be making sure that you’re having more fun, more dates, and more time of mine,' Sullivan wrote in his contract. While many people were concerned about the loss of spontaneity that could come with a contract, others believe that the agreements come with some bonuses. 'You want to try for once or twice a week. It’s nice to have a contract and say, look, we did agree to this,' explained sex therapist and marriage counselor Gracie Landes told CBS. 'I have found there can be a lot of joy in having structure and knowing what’s going to happen.'

Mantus and Sullivan had their relationship provisions drawn up by their attorney as part of their prenuptial agreement. 'We’re seeing the evolution of so called "lifestyle clauses" which really answer the question, what do we want the marriage to be like? What types of activities are we going to be engaging in? Where are we going on vacation?' explained attorney Ann Margaret Carrozza. Contracts for unmarried couples mainly serve as a symbolic way to bind them together, because because experts say they aren't legally binding.

If they tie the knot, things become a bit more complicated. Technically lifestyle clauses can be included in prenups, though experts warn that having too many could lead to it being invalidated. 'If someone wants a sex schedule, two times a week, or three times a week, I can’t take that agreement into a courtroom and ask that it be enforced,' Carrozza explained.

The New York Post reports that agreements defining behavior are expanding among every income level. Among the craziest prenup requests were 'no piano playing while the husband is home', 'wife not allowed to cut her hair' and - from a man in his 40s but didn't want more children - 'if the wife were to get pregnant, she'd have to have an abortion.' Couples have asked for random drug tests, custody of a taxidermy horse, guarantees of certain sexual positions (one put the 'reverse cowboy twice a week' in writing), and in one case, a $100,000 payout to the husband if the wife weighs over 170.

Not everyone believes that putting relationships into writing is a good idea. 'These kinds of clauses are usually associated with someone who is very insecure or who has had a bad situation in the past,' says longtime lawyer Lynne Gold-Bikin told the paper. 'They undermine a marriage rather than support it'.
PUTTING IT IN WRITING: MOST BIZARRE PRENUP REQUESTS
No piano playing while the husband is home
Wife can't wear anything green
Husband gets $100,000 if wife weighs over 170 pounds
Wife not allowed to cut her hair
If husband cheats, he must pay the wife a 'bonus' of up to $5 million

Comments