Is Vince McMahon Racist?

Options

Comments

• FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vince may or may not not be racist, but wrestling has always been about exaggerating stereotypes of different groups.

01.jpg

09.jpg

Nikolai+Volkoff.jpg

wild_samoans_3.jpg

Tatanka.jpg

200px-Finlay_and_his_son.jpg

tumblr_mdwzdtoZWO1rlyfnto1_400.jpg

tumblr_mg13fuN3QR1ql0k28o1_400.jpg

ironsheik_508.jpg

All the characters you posted came from Vince. He's only pushing Del Rio and they signed Sin Cara for the Hispanic market since it's growing and lucrative. If not, they'd be lawnmowers like Juvi, Psychosis and Super Crazy were. Wrestling has been racist before but ? , Vince won't let that ? go. Same token though, TNA dropped the ball with Monty Brown like a muthafucka although they pushed the ? out of Ron Killings. To be fair though, Monty Brown was ass besides the Pounce and that ? 's promos were on Ultimate Warrior level.

Back to my ? Kofi, they need to turn him heel and let him do the MVP gimmick for real, minus the power ranger outfit. Hook up with Paul Heyman to make sure of his heelness, as his agent and claim the WWE doesn't appreciate his skill and talent. All about the money and titles. Nothing else.
  • Ishi
    Ishi Members Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When it comes to Black wrestlers, Vince loves to either team them up together or put them against each other

I'm going to need to who is in your sig bruh.
  • TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MVP
    RawAce wrote: »
    TheBossman wrote: »
    piper one of my favorites but he did have some racist ? back in the day

thatsracist.gif

Every time valentine said black , mean gene was lookin like mike Myers during Katrina

i know right? obviously he meant ? when saying black. i think valentine has some undercover racism in his blood, while the others i think their just playing the heel, bad guy vs a black guy role.

• Mr.LV
    Mr.LV Members Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Booker T (was WHC)
    I wonder what they going to do with kofi Kingston after he loses his United states championship at extreme rules.
  • lion_heart
    lion_heart Members Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Booker T (was WHC)
    piper one of my favorites but he did have some racist ? back in the day

man, that video of reverend slick is hard to watch....they had dude sitting there with a whole bucket of KFC for himself.

True and I have that video saved on my fav list on youtube. Jive Soul Bro is my ? though.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Mark Henry (was WHC)
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    Someday soon there will be a black man with the size look ability and mic skills to be The Rock. I just know there is black talent out there. .

the rock is the exception he is/was head and shoulders above all talent back in the day when he got on...it was damn near impossible not to give him a run....black talent shouldnt have to be that over to get a chance to shine....hell white talent b4 and after rock has had chance upon chance and havent been nearly as entertaining
  • poindexter2
    poindexter2 Members Posts: 4,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Booker T (was WHC)
    "hogan we comin for you ? !"-Booker T
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Funny you should ask the question.........

Want more real-time WWE news?Visit Team Stream on BleacherReport.com! ×

Ahmed Johnson Gives Controversial Interview That Is Sure to Cause a Stir By Kris EazAy(Contributor) on May 21,

Next I recently had the opportunity to sit in on an interview on PerfectPlex Radio with the artist formerly known as Ahmed Johnson, Tony Norris, that was conducted by Mike Knoxxx, Chris “Spotface” McClain and Chad Rivera. To say that Norris let it all hang out would be the understatement of the century.

Norris, who rarely does interviews, spoke candidly on a plethora of topics, including his thoughts on Shawn Michaels, Vince McMahon, HHH, why he never became world champ and the alleged racism he encountered while he worked in WWE.

Norris contends that Vince McMahon is a racist “from the word go” and also states, “But I had no idea of what he was. You know, I always say The best trick the devil ever pulled off was hiding in plain sight. If you read the Bible, everything the devil ever did he didn't hide. He did it in plain sight. That's Vince McMahon.”While Norris appreciates the fact that he is the first black Intercontinental Champion, he says that he still dealt with racism and that someone keyed a racial slur into his car while he was champ and even put a toy monkey with a noose around its neck in his locker room.

Norris claims that Shawn Michaels forced him to stop doing his more athletic wrestling moves in favor of power moves. “Shawn Michaels called me to his office after a while and said, Ahmed, we need you to stop doing the high flying moves. Here you are doing these one half-gainer moonsaults, stuff that we can't even do but then when we get out there at 180 pounds it makes us look bad because you've already done it at 380 pounds... If you want to continue wrestling with the company you have to stop doing these things.”

He says that Shawn wanted him to do more bear hugs and slams and less high flying moves. He also says that when he was working in the WWE, Michaels had his own office at Titan Towers.

Norris recounts a story of how the late Ernie Ladd said to him, “You are about to enter the most racist organization you can get into.” Surprised at what Ladd told him, Norris states, “I was freaked out because I was expecting this dude to say 'ay, you've got a good opportunity here, they are gonna take care of you and I love Vince'.”

Norris wasn't all negative as he stated that Razor Ramon (Scott Hall) offered him a great deal of feedback during his matches and helped him out more than any other guy on the roster while he was with WWE. When asked about The Rock, Norris states that, “The Rock is the best in history on the mic. You will never find another guy like him on the mic.”

However, in perhaps, the most jaw-dropping portion of the interview, Norris recounts a time backstage where The Rock tells members of D-Generation X that his mother had an affair with a white guy and conceived him. Norris states that, “He (The Rock) was denying his black heritage all the way around.” He says The Rock maintained that he was kidding with those guys; however, Norris believes that the Rock was being serious in denying his black heritage.

In addition to all of this, Norris gives his thoughts on John Cena, CM Punk, Chris Jericho, the late Hawk of the Road Warriors, his brief run in World Championship Wrestling and more. Tony Norris gives a new meaning to “not giving a damn!” This is, without a doubt, the most candid interview we have ever conducted on the BDSIR network. The interview can be found here and starts around the 35:00 mark.
  • Traycito
    Traycito Members Posts: 1
    Options
    I think this post is ? dumb cuz ya'll don't watch wrestling enough to make a statement. Booker T is black as hell, and HE was the heavyweight champ in the WWE AND just recently got inducted into the WWE hall of fame. Mark Henry WAS the heavyweight champ less than a year ago. So............what are ya'll talkin about? And some of these wrestlers that you mention are NOT ready to be at the top. Ain't put in ENOUGH WORK or just don't have the look or gimmick to be a successful champ. Elijah Burke had NO GIMMICK AT ALL when he was in the wwe. just a boring ass mediocre wrestler. As a BLACK FAN of WWE, I would not have been satisfied watching him in main events on Raw or Smackdown. Everybody aint a damn racist all time time. smh The Rock had the look, the skill, the charisma, and was a beast on the mic. Ain't NO black wrestlers have come around in a LONG TIME possessing the total package.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That Ahmed Johnson interview is epic. Everytime a performer from the 90s does an interview HBK gets more power, now he had his own office...lol.

• TheBossman
    TheBossman Members Posts: 19,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    MVP
    Traycito wrote: »
    I think this post is ? dumb cuz ya'll don't watch wrestling enough to make a statement. Booker T is black as hell, and HE was the heavyweight champ in the WWE AND just recently got inducted into the WWE hall of fame. Mark Henry WAS the heavyweight champ less than a year ago. So............what are ya'll talkin about? And some of these wrestlers that you mention are NOT ready to be at the top. Ain't put in ENOUGH WORK or just don't have the look or gimmick to be a successful champ. Elijah Burke had NO GIMMICK AT ALL when he was in the wwe. just a boring ass mediocre wrestler. As a BLACK FAN of WWE, I would not have been satisfied watching him in main events on Raw or Smackdown. Everybody aint a damn racist all time time. smh The Rock had the look, the skill, the charisma, and was a beast on the mic. Ain't NO black wrestlers have come around in a LONG TIME possessing the total package.

? you mean?
    Booker T is black as hell, and HE was the heavyweight champ in the WWE AND just recently got inducted into the WWE hall of fame.

what YOU may not understand is the world heavyweight title is NOT the wwe title, and even the wwe themselves think less of that title, it's the secondary title.
    Mark Henry WAS the heavyweight champ less than a year ago.

see above.

what are ya'll talkin about? And some of these wrestlers that you mention are NOT ready to be at the top.

bobby lashley, ahmed johnson, mvp, farooq, bad news brown, and others could of been wwe champ over the years, including booker and henry.

when it came to booker t he SHOULD of won the WHC at wm19 but didn't when the storyline lend towards the face winning it(see video on last page). hhh basically called him everything except ? .

Ain't NO black wrestlers have come around in a LONG TIME possessing the total package AND A PUSH(ED).

fixed. this statement can't be justified when dudes like rey mysterio, miz and sheamus (rushed) be wwe champs. and hhh and cena being wwe champs double digit times.

so in your eyes a black wrestler has to have the total package to be wwe champ? because their has been many white wrestlers who didn't have the total package and was given the title.
  • Mr. 66Hundred
    Mr. 66Hundred Members Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Its Vince's company and his titles... he can give them to whoever he wants to

there's no affirmative action in wrestling

? like the Rock got play because he was talented and racially ambiguous

He's a beige man with a black physique, thin hair, thin nose, squared jaw, and thin lips
  • twizza 77
    twizza 77 Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Thing about Mark Henry, WWE and Vince tried several attempts to embarrass him into quitting. To Henry's credit he stuck around and improved overall.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Think it might've been a sociology or psychology class I took, but it's scientifically proven white people rarely if at all can identify with blacks in certain roles on television. They were the only race of people in the study who significantly could not lose themselves in a fictional work if the protagonist did not look like them, especially if the actors involved were black. Regardless of storyline or acting, the main concern was "Why are there so many black people?"

With that being said, I think Vince's racism is a mix of old school "a black person has to be at least twice as good as a white person to get half as far" and understanding his audience is comprised of borderline racists who cannot identify with a champion that doesn't look like them. I think Vince has set the next black champion's bar so high that it'll take a mutant to leap it: he'll need The Rock's mic work, Stone Cold's charisma, Hogan's/Cena's merchandising, Shawn Michael's athleticism, Ultimate Warrior's physique, and Undertaker's height to get a serious title run.

Seriously, Triple H--Hunter Hearst Helmsley--The Blue Blood--Terra Ryzing--Mister-ah Game-ah--he who wrestled Henry O. Godwin in a Pig Pen match--is like a 72 time champion. People turned the TV off when he wasn't with DX doing comedy, but they kept pushing him as credible for YEARS. You cannot look at guys like him and Edge and not call racism when there are black dudes who're of equal or greater talent and popularity that didn't receive near the "You will like them, and that's that!" push.
  • Copper
    Options
    Mark Henry (was WHC)
    Its Vince's company and his titles... he can give them to whoever he wants to

there's no affirmative action in wrestling
    Which is the problem ? face
  • jono
    Options
    KNiGHTS wrote: »
    Think it might've been a sociology or psychology class I took, but it's scientifically proven white people rarely if at all can identify with blacks in certain roles on television. They were the only race of people in the study who significantly could not lose themselves in a fictional work if the protagonist did not look like them, especially if the actors involved were black. Regardless of storyline or acting, the main concern was "Why are there so many black people?"

With that being said, I think Vince's racism is a mix of old school "a black person has to be at least twice as good as a white person to get half as far" and understanding his audience is comprised of borderline racists who cannot identify with a champion that doesn't look like them. I think Vince has set the next black champion's bar so high that it'll take a mutant to leap it: he'll need The Rock's mic work, Stone Cold's charisma, Hogan's/Cena's merchandising, Shawn Michael's athleticism, Ultimate Warrior's physique, and Undertaker's height to get a serious title run.

Seriously, Triple H--Hunter Hearst Helmsley--The Blue Blood--Terra Ryzing--Mister-ah Game-ah--he who wrestled Henry O. Godwin in a Pig Pen match--is like a 72 time champion. People turned the TV off when he wasn't with DX doing comedy, but they kept pushing him as credible for YEARS. You cannot look at guys like him and Edge and not call racism when there are black dudes who're of equal or greater talent and popularity that didn't receive near the "You will like them, and that's that!" push.

Goat'd. That's what I was referring to before.

? act like they didn't see the crazy backlash when Idris Elba was going to play a Norse ? in Thor, or when Cuba Gooding auditioned to be James Bond (before they gave the role to Daniel Craig) or when Common auditioned to play the Green Lantern (then they gave the role to mediocre actor Ryan Reynolds), it happens time and time again.

The ? is institutionalized racism in Hollywood, wrestling works on the same plateau as TV shows and movies, they need their blacks to be stereotypical.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    jono wrote: »

? act like they didn't see the crazy backlash when Idris Elba was going to play a Norse ? in Thor, or when Cuba Gooding auditioned to be James Bond (before they gave the role to Daniel Craig) or when Common auditioned to play the Green Lantern (then they gave the role to mediocre actor Ryan Reynolds), it happens time and time again.

The ? is institutionalized racism in Hollywood, wrestling works on the same plateau as TV shows and movies, they need their blacks to be stereotypical.

Common never auditioned for the Green Lantern movie. He was cast as John Stewart/Green Lantern II in the cancelled Justice League Mortal movie.

• Copper
    Options
    Mark Henry (was WHC)
    Broddie wrote: »

Common never auditioned for the Green Lantern movie. He was cast as John Stewart/Green Lantern II in the cancelled Justice League Mortal movie.

word....krakas who didnt even know the story of green lantern was all over the net like "why are they making him black?"...racisim is inherent in alot of these fukas
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Traycito wrote: »

? you mean?
    Booker T is black as hell, and HE was the heavyweight champ in the WWE AND just recently got inducted into the WWE hall of fame.

what YOU may not understand is the world heavyweight title is NOT the wwe title, and even the wwe themselves think less of that title, it's the secondary title.
    Mark Henry WAS the heavyweight champ less than a year ago.

see above.

what are ya'll talkin about? And some of these wrestlers that you mention are NOT ready to be at the top.

bobby lashley, ahmed johnson, mvp, farooq, bad news brown, and others could of been wwe champ over the years, including booker and henry.

when it came to booker t he SHOULD of won the WHC at wm19 but didn't when the storyline lend towards the face winning it(see video on last page). hhh basically called him everything except ? .

Ain't NO black wrestlers have come around in a LONG TIME possessing the total package AND A PUSH(ED).

fixed. this statement can't be justified when dudes like rey mysterio, miz and sheamus (rushed) be wwe champs. and hhh and cena being wwe champs double digit times.

so in your eyes a black wrestler has to have the total package to be wwe champ? because their has been many white wrestlers who didn't have the total package and was given the title.

cosign, "The Total Package" didn't even have the total package...but he still got a title run.

luger2.jpg

• jono
    Options
    Lex Luger was never WWE champion lol. He ? that up
  • Anti_matter
    Anti_matter Members Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lex Luger was never WWE champion lol. He ? that up

You're right,

I Just remember all of a sudden Lex switching from "the narcissist" to the "all-american" and the WWF centering every ppv event around him...had him riding around in a tour bus and everything.

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    The Lex Express son "Slammed" Yoko when "No one else" Could.

didnt son get ? and spill the beans on him becoming Champ at WM10 so Vince changed up the out come and put the belt on Bret?
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Lex Express son "Slammed" Yoko when "No one else" Could.

I remember that ? . Didn't he arrive in a helicopter or sum ? ?