Florida Cops Choke Black Teen Holding Puppy Over 'Dehumanizing Stares'

Options
Rubato Garcia
Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2013 in For The Grown & Sexy
Police in Miami say they had no choice but to forcefully restrain a 14-year-old boy who was playing on the beach with his friends because he was giving them "dehumanizing stares."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=987bSp2ADUM

Tremaine McMillian was roughhousing with another teen in the water when he was approached by Miami-Dade Police officers and ordered to stop fighting.

Despite quickly realizing that no actual fighting was taking place, the officers still asked McMillian to point out his mother to them.

Tremaine says he complied, but Miami-Dade Police Detective Alvaro Zabaleta claims the boy refused to cooperate and tried to walk away.

"When he started to leave the beach area, officers had to get off their ATVs to detain him. He had closed arms, clenched fists and pulled his arm away," Zabaleta told CBS Miami.

Sensing an imminent "threat" from Tremaine's body language and "dehumanizing stares," the officers placed the teen in a chokehold.

"He started choking me, and as he was choking me, I urinated on myself because I couldn't breathe," Tremaine later told a juvenile court judge.

According to Tremaine, it would have been impossible for him to be clenching his fists because he was holding his six-week-old pit bull mix puppy Polo at the time and feeding him with a bottle.

He says the puppy was injured when police slammed him on the ground.

"At that point we are not concerned with a puppy," Zabaleta told the CBS affiliate. "We are concerned with the threat to the officer."

Police ultimately booked Tremaine on a felony charge of resisting arrest with violence as well as misdemeanor charge of disorderly conduct.

A public defender's request to have the charges reconsidered was denied by a Juvenile Justice Center judge, and his trial has been scheduled for July 16th.

http://gawker.com/florida-cops-choke-black-teen-holding-puppy-over-dehum-510491930

Comments

• Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    CIVIL LIBERTIES
    AlterNet / By Steven Hsieh 224 COMMENTS
    Black 14-year-old Carrying a Puppy Tackled and Choked by Police for Giving Them a "Dehumanizing Stare"
    Grown police officers allege that the unarmed teen looked at them funny.

Photo Credit: CBS Miami

May 30, 2013 |
    New cell phone footage shows Miami-Dade Police officers aggressively pinning an unarmed teen to the ground while choking him. His alleged crime: giving the officers “dehumanizing stares” and “clenching his fists.”

Fourteen-year-old Tremaine McMillan says he was feeding his puppy and playing on the beach with some friends when cops riding ATVs approached him and asked what he was doing. The "peacekeeping" officers say they saw McMillan roughhousing with another teenager, told him it was “unacceptable behavior,” and asked where his mother was. When McMillan walked away, they chased him on ATVs, jumped out, pinned him to the ground and arrested him. According to police reports, McMillan “attempted to pull his arm away, stating, 'Man, don't touch me like I did something.'" See footage of the incident, captured by McMillan's mother:

McMillan says he obeyed orders, and was leading the officers towards his mother when they jumped him. The teen adds that he was holding and feeding his puppy at the time, who got injured during the encounter.

“I don’t like it. I feel sad. He got in front of me on the ATC (sic) and he slammed my hand,” McMillan said. “Then he started choking me. Then my 6-week old Pit Bull mix named Polo got hurt and bruised his front paw when the police grabbed me and slammed me down. It makes me feel sad.”

Miami-Dade Police Detective Alvaro Zabaleta justified the use of force, saying McMillan was exhibiting threatening “body language,” which includes “clenched fists.” McMillan adamantly denies this charge because, well, he was holding a puppy.

“Of course we have to neutralize the threat in front of us,” said Zabaleta. “And when you have somebody that is being resistant, somebody that is pulling away from you, somebody that’s clenching their fist, somebody that’s flaring their arms, that’s the immediate threat.”

McMillan’s mother, Maurissa Holmes saw the incident and recorded it on her cell phone. She told WSVN-TV, "I ran over there and said, 'That's my son, that's my son. Can you get off of him? He can't breathe.'

Police charged McMillan with resisting arrest, a felony, and disorderly conduct. The teen’s attorney entered a plea of not guilty for his client and asked the court to reconsider the charges. The judge did not grant him his request.

McMillan’s 6-week old puppy, who suffers an injured front paw, did not make the police report.

“At this point we are not concerned with a puppy,” said Zabaleta.

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://CBSMIA.images.worldnow.com/interface/js/WNVideo.js?rnd=78978;hostDomain=video.miami.cbslocal.com;playerWidth=385;playerHeight=288;isShowIcon=true;clipId=8933370;flvUri=;partnerclipid=;adTag=News;advertisingZone=CBS.MIA%2Fworldnowplayer;enableAds=true;landingPage=;islandingPageoverride=false;playerType=STANDARD_EMBEDDEDscript_EMBEDDEDscript_EMBEDDEDscript;controlsType=fixed'&gt;&lt;/script&gt;&lt;a href="http://video.miami.cbslocal.com&quot; title=""></a>

http://miami.cbslocal.com/latest-videos?autoStart=true&topVideoCatNo=default&clipId=8933370

• Rubato Garcia
    Rubato Garcia Members Posts: 4,912 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    My thread was first...
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The person who's detained always claims "innocence" and the video footage hardly ever catches the whole story.

I'm sure the charges will be dropped.
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    u stole my thread :(
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They better pay for that ? puppy's paw!!!!
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They better say sorry to that muthafuckin puppy
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? . The threat was not present... it's a 14 year old kid, what capacity does he even have to inflict harm on two grown police officers?

I hope these guys lose their badges. They probably won't, but I still hope it.
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    thats how them crackas is on the beach, they think they on miami vice or baywatch or some ?

• 2stepz_ahead
    2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ole fukk ass hoez
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Where's @YoungChitlin with that damn Florida gif?

• LUClEN
    Options
    jono wrote: »

this one?

florida-evans-damn-damn-damn-animated-gif11.gif
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    RodrigueZz wrote: »
    jono wrote: »

this one?

florida-evans-damn-damn-damn-animated-gif11.gif

No but a welcome replacement.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rawse's Boys At It Again
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    ? tried to bring the puppy into it lol
  • Ioniz3dSPIRITZ
    Ioniz3dSPIRITZ Members Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13To73XbH-0

"Puttin' me on my knees, tellin' me move and I'm dead,
    'cause I'm killin' all your ? , turnin' them blue suits red.
    And then I'm comin' to that funeral to shoot that ? up,
    because I know that's where y'all ? is bound to meet up.
    Cop killas, all up in they chest, and
    I know what to do with that vest, man
    Twenty-two shots. I killa.
    You don't wanna ? with Bone, ? .
    And it really ain't ? to pull a trigger on a copper,
    'cause if I go down, some of y'all goin' down,
    'cause I'm goin' down poppin, so ? all coppers,
    Let me catch you slippin', ? , bet I pop ya.

Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop
    Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop. Pop"

• Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So a skinny 14 year boy with nothing but swimming trunks and puppy is a threat?

So white ppl can cuss out a police and its not considered a threat?
  • Mr.Forte
    Mr.Forte Members Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2013
    Options
    Your under arrest for "WWB" (walking while black)

? actually happened to me before on my way home from work

I hate the police with a passion

True Story
  • LUClEN
    Options
    Things like this make libertarianism seem more appealing
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The kid obviously has the Sharingan. The cops were just playing it safe. You can't be staring at people menacingly with the Sharingan.