When did Ja Rule jump the shark?

Options
5th Letter
5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
I want to try something different and talk about when did certain artist falloff/jump the shark.

First one Ja Rule.

Comments

• WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    50 Cent- Back Down

I think that was the start of his demise
  • KnowReasonForPeace
    KnowReasonForPeace Members Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when he refused to do anything but pop records and all that singing ? .i understand he wanted commercial success but abandoning being a rapper to sing though? ? all that. R.U.L.E album was the end for him imo.
  • tharealest561
    tharealest561 Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People can say when he started singing, but he's always crooned songs.

To be more precise, I think it was in the summer of 2002 when the oversaturation started to be the problem. His formula was working but he was all over everything and really was setting himself up for the ? .

That combined with the increase in Tupac biting and the rise of 50 on the underground started the snowball effect against him.
  • tharealest561
    tharealest561 Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

To be more precise, I think it was in the summer of 2002 when the oversaturation started to be the problem. His formula was working but he was all over everything and really was setting himself up for the ? .

That combined with the increase in Tupac biting and the rise of 50 on the underground started the snowball effect against him.

funny because shortly after wayne supersaturated the market and most credit his success to that era of omnipresence

I don't know how Wayne managed that because he artistically peaked IMO in 2006-07. but I think the game was stronger as a whole in 2002, where you had to be on your ? in order to stay on top.
  • Kellmill
    Kellmill Members, Writer Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The song Mesmerize with Ashanti was the first nail in the coffin. Homie was straight singing, dressed up like the characters in Grease. Right around that time is when 50 blew up, and that was the perfect time for him to do so.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When he did movies

Scust
  • Stew
    Stew Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 52,234 Regulator
    Options
    When somebody clowned him for the "WHAT WOULD I BE WITHOUT YOOOUUUU" ? lol I forgot who and where it came from cause high as ? right now but yea he started to go overboard with the pop songs is what got him in trouble. He always did it but kept it at a minimum at first.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Options
    Ja Rule jumped the shark IMO when he dropped that song with Bobby Brown. That ? was wack.
  • Lab Baby
    Lab Baby Members Posts: 8,154 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VcP96KbFIIU

"Ja, what's with this new look?"... that very moment was the end of Ja.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When he reached the top, nowhere else to go but down
  • B.BeST
    B.BeST Members Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he crushed himself, with him feeling himself something ridiculous he let fif slip thru thinkin fans would side ride wit him regardless..... he underestimated fickle fans and what fif had in storefor their whole team.....
  • B.BeST
    B.BeST Members Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the ? gas tank was on full, straight premium ? though, instead of puttin him up on game ? sat back watched and let him tank out..........

this is when I was in love wit this hip hop ? to death, I have over 300 rap magazines xxl/th source and the majority are from 00-07, this ? is vivid.....

dude was gassed up and got blindsided by everything around him, the anger u heard in "blood in my eye" was the angry wake up call he never recovered from....
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sion with the ether
  • nohiphop1
    nohiphop1 Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yall dudes funny. There's been many like yall in society trying to re-write history.

50 ended Ja Rule. NO other theory.
  • Trigga T
    Trigga T Members Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    When 50, Em & Busta killed him on that Hail Mary remix.
  • almighty breeze
    almighty breeze Members Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    After Always There When You Call hip hop heads were about done enjoying & it went "tolerating" to "annoyed" the problem was Ja was at his most popular then. He basically went viral that summer when Cedric & other comedians starting mimicing him & he reached that Tom Joyner crowd (our aunts & uncles) mixed with the Kidz Bop/TRL oversaturation

it was Down 4 U; Thug Loving; that awful song with Case that ruined a Stevie sample; various features for Ashanti & Cadillac Tah (lol!) the afro mention terrible Pac impressions and the identity crisis. Just putting out nonsense b/c he could. he did everything Wayne did in 07 but it led to his crucifixition where as with Wayne everyone wanted to eat off his plate

by the time 50 came around late that summer there were already a lot of people tired of him they were just alone in the room. 50 bartered a truce fanbase just by goin at that ? to a lot of people. He basically became the 1st ? in the neighborhood to beat up Debo
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That Rainy Days ballad with Mary J. was the catalyst to his downfall....
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I see a lot of good points, but everybody's forgetting he lowkey took career advice from ? AJ on 106 and Park. I remember Ja being on there like, "I think I need to fall back from this singing ? " in so many words, and dude was like, "Nah, that's hot! I been told you that you need to do a whole album just singing." Crowd kinda fed into the idea too, if I recall correctly.

Ja was like "nah," but he proceeded to drop more and more sing song ? like it was a good idea.

With that said, I think he recognized his downfall was coming, but he was on those highest paid entertainer lists a lot back then with 20+ mill years. I don't know too many dudes gonna be like, "Let me switch this up."
  • CirocObama
    CirocObama Members Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options

Same ? i was about to say. Still remember it like yesterday that i started to become tired of that type of music he was doing at that exact time. Never hated or disliked him tho.

People always say ? about the whole 2pac biting or whatever. Wanna keep it 100? I've always thought that was Irv Gotti's idea. If you've listened to Irv he seems to always be hard on Suge & 2pac's ? . I think that is why he was able to finally get X & Ja deals at Def Jam right after Biggie & 2pac's death. I think that was one of many things X didn't like about Irv doing. Irv tried to make them become 2pac cronies & himself become Suge. But i never felt X sounded like 2pac & he had been rapping longer than 2pac as well. Ja? Meeh..maybe. Not too much imo. Maybe image wise. But i definitely think that was what Irv was trying to do with the marketing of X & image of Ja.
  • dc's teflondon
    dc's teflondon Members Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he jumped the shark when he did the grease theme video and when the inc bit off more than they could chew by going after shady/aftermath/g-unit
  • N YO HOOD
    N YO HOOD Members Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    when 50 and em the new cool kids went at him
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://youtu.be/VcP96KbFIIU

^^^^ Just like everyone been saying, that crossed the line right there.

Cuz he was ? with the street ? and this kinda ? too much, had a cool balance, but then went too far...
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He had undeniable hits for the come back, on some street ? and radio ? :

http://youtu.be/M_Bgkv4CiAs

http://youtu.be/QVXE1EzMrfw

Ppl just didn't want to accept him back, it clearly wasn't about the music anymore, cuz he still had bangers, even 50 said it.
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options