complex 50 best selling rap albums of all time

Options

Comments

• JDSTAYWITIT
    JDSTAYWITIT Members Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bignorm wrote: »
    Speakerboxx/love below actually sold half that.
    Its a double cd, so 1 purchase counts as two albums.

Those double CDs nearly cost the same as two ... So they count as two
  • awwwwwwwwwww
    awwwwwwwwwww Members Posts: 863 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Vanilla Ice has two albums in the top 15...
    Nelly has 2 in the top 14. Nelly
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    aye bruh them nelly cds went hard

? the hate
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    buttuh_b wrote: »
    Recovery did 4.3 mill in the 2010's b. Is BP3 even at 2 mill yet????

Yea, Jay has never did numbers like that. I give him props tho, for faking it till he made it, in the sense of making the general audience believe that he was bigger than what he actually was...his made a career of that. Even managed to convince most that RD was a classic, and of the same stature and impact to the game as was illmatic.

A hustler he is, and he's never denied it.

the 3rd best selling rapper of all time never did numbers......right
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Numbers seem off. Nelly did 10 million back to back, Russell Simmons said Licensed to Ill went gold every year since it was released, which was an interview in the late 90s/early 2000s, and Hammer Don't Hurt'em was at 15 million when I was a kid, so I know it's sold more than that.

Complex ? up as usual.
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options
    KNiGHTS wrote: »
    Numbers seem off. Nelly did 10 million back to back, Russell Simmons said Licensed to Ill went gold every year since it was released, which was an interview in the late 90s/early 2000s, and Hammer Don't Hurt'em was at 15 million when I was a kid, so I know it's sold more than that.

Complex ? up as usual.

Could be world wide vs domestic tho
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just goes to show Jay ain't a true heavyweight icon. He can have all the #1 albums he wants but until he gets bold enough to drop on the same day as Eminem or Wayne, let alone artists like Adele, Taylor Swift, and Lady Gaga I will always consider the stats he lists as lacking context.
    So every album since his 3rd being multi plat with no #1 single until BP3, most of career being in the regional era, satisfying the streets and the clubs and to a degree the hip hop head, dropping one of his biggest albums on 9-11 and it still selling, isn't true HW icon stuff?

Plus a lot of his albums where when Hip Hop wasn't the biggest pop music.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just goes to show Jay ain't a true heavyweight icon. He can have all the #1 albums he wants but until he gets bold enough to drop on the same day as Eminem or Wayne, let alone artists like Adele, Taylor Swift, and Lady Gaga I will always consider the stats he lists as lacking context.
    So every album since his 3rd being multi plat with no #1 single until BP3, most of career being in the regional era, satisfying the streets and the clubs and to a degree the hip hop head, dropping one of his biggest albums on 9-11 and it still selling, isn't true HW icon stuff?

He has never been the #1 rapper other than for a 1 week period. He's not an organic icon. The ? was forced.
  • hiphop12345
    hiphop12345 Members Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

He has never been the #1 rapper other than for a 1 week period. He's not an organic icon. The ? was forced.
    So who are guys that's been number 1?
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yea, Jay has never did numbers like that. I give him props tho, for faking it till he made it, in the sense of making the general audience believe that he was bigger than what he actually was...his made a career of that. Even managed to convince most that RD was a classic, and of the same stature and impact to the game as was illmatic.

He ain't never sold out the gate, like a Big or Pac, Kanye or Em or even Wayne and had a huge impact on the sales climate, let's be real...He's up there all time, due to the factors that I listed on my previous post, no knock, just truth. Kudos to him too.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    double albums are irrelevant, as far as i know it doesnt count as 2 cds being sold when you buy 1 album??? and it doesnt make people wanna buy the album more or less...

cant believe that 'outkast' is top, thats crazy, i would of thought either 'atliens'' or 'stankonia' would of been their top selling album...

nelly came on the seen just at the right time, he was like the last generation of actual hip hop artist to have commercial albums that sold, just before downloading took a hold and killed cd sells...
  • emanuel08
    emanuel08 Members Posts: 515 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol I see first week sales don't matter until this thread.

Never fails
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

He ain't never sold out the gate, like a Big or Pac, Kanye or Em or even Wayne and had a huge impact on the sales climate, let's be real...He's up there all time, due to the factors that I listed on my previous post, no knock, just truth. Kudos to him too.

so convincing others RD is a classic forced people to buy his other 10 solo albums?......right lol

when you average nearly 500,000 first week sales and over 1 million total sales for a 9 album stretch*disregarding his first two albums*, its not just jay pretending that he's bigger than he actually is. it shows he pretty much is a big deal

and when you said "he never sold numbers out the gate" i take it you referring to him never selling plat in his first week like wayne, em, kanye? if so think about what you're saying. he's one of the top selling rappers ever yet you gonna discredit dude for never selling above 600K in his first week? lol come on bruh
  • water ur seeds
    Options
    J-Breezy wrote: »
    ? forgot Nelly was a superstar. He could do no wrong at one point the ? had hits.
    Shake Ya Tailfeather
    Hot in Here
    Ride With Me
    EI
    Country Grammar
    Dilemma

whos that chick in your avi???
  • JDSTAYWITIT
    Options

This is just not accurate information my dude
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? forgot Nelly was a superstar. He could do no wrong at one point the ? had hits.
    Shake Ya Tailfeather
    Hot in Here
    Ride With Me
    EI
    Country Grammar
    Dilemma

The woman that's all tatted up?
    In my sig its Mia Bunny.
  • Melanin_Enriched
    Melanin_Enriched Members Posts: 22,868 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    looking at top 10.....icecoldstew thread.
  • water ur seeds
    edited June 2013
    Options
    Shake Ya Tailfeather
    Hot in Here
    Ride With Me
    EI
    Country Grammar
    Dilemma

The woman that's all tatted up?
    In my sig its Mia Bunny.

I meant the chick in your sig, Mia Bunny, daum is she is unbelievably fine... Anyways who's the tatted chick in your avi now you mention it? Haha can't see her to well, but tatted up chicks are the shiiiiiiiiiet...
  • international
    international Members Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2013
    Options

so convincing others RD is a classic forced people to buy his other 10 solo albums?......right lol

when you average nearly 500,000 first week sales and over 1 million total sales for a 9 album stretch*disregarding his first two albums*, its not just jay pretending that he's bigger than he actually is. it shows he pretty much is a big deal

and when you said "he never sold numbers out the gate" i take it you referring to him never selling plat in his first week like wayne, em, kanye? if so think about what you're saying. he's one of the top selling rappers ever yet you gonna discredit dude for never selling above 600K in his first week? lol come on bruh

I been giving dude his credit and spin this any way you want, but it's very telling that he's never been able to move impactful numbers like that in the first week. Even his last albums, post-Beyonce mariage/status he still ain't been able to do it, this ? had to resort to such an explorative deal with Samsung (look for my thread on that, that got sabotaged and wouldn't move to the front page, no matter how many replies it got for some strange reason), another desperate attempt just to find out that it won't be added to the soundscan. I know warriors will deny the intent, but its there for anyone to see.

http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/497700/jay-z-is-a-great-businessman-but-i-ll-be-damned-if-he-ain-t-the-biggest-sellout-in-hip-hop-history#latest

^^^^Thread I was refering to above.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Snoop, Pac, DMX, Eminem, 50 Cent, Kanye, Wayne, soon to be Drake. Jay has never been as big as them during their peaks. Jay has built an image through our his career to make him seem bigger than he was which actually ended up making him become bigger. Like international said, he faked it till he made. And he still never got to that level where it was Jay-Z mania. Other than consistency it's blasphemy for him to compare himself to The Beatles or Michael Jackson or Elvis popularity wise and only using 1 metric to compare it.

Just look how Jay's last album was released in 2009 while Em's was released in 2010 and has more than doubled Jay's sales despite being released a year later.
  • just.might.b.ok
    just.might.b.ok Members Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Mr. Rich Pryor
    Mr. Rich Pryor Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? complex, they alwayz put out ? ass lists
  • water ur seeds
    Options

Snoop, Pac, DMX, Eminem, 50 Cent, Kanye, Wayne, soon to be Drake. Jay has never been as big as them during their peaks. Jay has built an image through our his career to make him seem bigger than he was which actually ended up making him become bigger. Like international said, he faked it till he made. And he still never got to that level where it was Jay-Z mania. Other than consistency it's blasphemy for him to compare himself to The Beatles or Michael Jackson or Elvis popularity wise and only using 1 metric to compare it.

Just look how Jay's last album was released in 2009 while Em's was released in 2010 and has more than doubled Jay's sales despite being released a year later.

jay has never been international superstar like 50, em, kanye and even snoop etc hes not a household name, like if hes goes to an airport in london, china, greece or budapest etc theres not gonna be mayhem, hes not like a massive name for talk shows over in them countries either or a household name where parents would know of him (unless their children are hip hop fans and mention him)