So Ben Affleck is going to play Batman

Options

Comments

• Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    This is why I don't like to associate myself with most fanboys despite being a bigger comic book geek than most of them. ? just don't comprehend the concept of an adaptation at all. They keep thinking the word adaptation means "direct translation" and because of that they help derail a lot of promising adaptations with their internet whining before they even get off the ground.

There's nothing wrong with an adaption, as long as it doesn't change core elements the story arch or the characters. Very few comic-to-movie adaptions are successfully able to pull this off. One of the few movies that did, that immediately comes to mind is Kick Ass. The changes that were made to source material were cool and you didn't trip off of them, (though I still believe that ending in the comic was better than the movie.) and the ending to Watchman the movie was vastly superior to the ending in the comic. I'm sorry, despite the epicness and greatness that was the Watchman that giant squid ? killing off half the population of Manhattan was some wacky ? .

The problem is that instead of getting an adaption that comes up with an original story that maintains the core elements of characters and story arcs that inspired the movies, what we often get is ? up off bastardization that leaves John Doe Fanboy with the feeling that the executive producer, screenwriter, and director used the concepts in the comic as a vehicle for the ? that he couldn't get green lit on his on. Kevin Smith goes into detail about that very subject on the following clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk

• Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2013
    Options
    the ending to Watchman the movie was vastly superior to the ending in the comic. I'm sorry, despite the epicness and greatness that was the [i[Watchman[/i] that giant squid ? killing off half the population of Manhattan was some wacky ? .

Totally disagree.
    The problem is that instead of getting an adaption that comes up with an original story that maintains the core elements of characters and story arcs that inspired the movies, what we often get is ? up off bastardization that leaves John Doe Fanboy with the feeling that the executive producer, screenwriter, and director used the concepts in the comic as a vehicle for the ? that he couldn't get green lit on his on. Kevin Smith goes into detail about that very subject on the following clip.[/b]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgYhLIThTvk

Here's the thing though the movie was based around the death and return of Superman. It had Superman dying and it had him coming back wearing a suit that recharges his abilities just like in the comics. Everything else is semantics but the basis is still there. What difference will including a giant spider really make? how is that more offensive than Superman fighting a giant ape in the comic books?

• Maximus Rex
    Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98drvSsfKOY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eikuSjofvqM

Kevin Smith gleefully gives his breakdowns, analysis, expectations, and predictions for Superman/Batman,and the DC cinematic universe.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    Options
    that Batman Triumphant sounds like some GOAT ?
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So which film do y'all think was the best out of the last Chris Nolan Batman trilogy?

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SHUT UP!!!!!!!!
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's about to prove you all wrong just like Ledger did. I just wish he was directing too. Either way it's good to see an American comic book nerd as Batman. It's like the antithesis of Bale. I could buy Affleck as the James Bond style Batman from the comics.

I been saying this! Big fan of Affleck! He'll make a great Bruce Wayne too.

I just don't want to see it directed by Snyder.

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's about to prove you all wrong just like Ledger did. I just wish he was directing too. Either way it's good to see an American comic book nerd as Batman. It's like the antithesis of Bale. I could buy Affleck as the James Bond style Batman from the comics.

batgif.gif
  • DarthRozay
    DarthRozay Members Posts: 20,570 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    rip.dilla wrote: »
    So which film do y'all think was the best out of the last Chris Nolan Batman trilogy?

Either Dark Knight or Dark Knight Rises. Batman Begins was good, but not the same level as the other two.

My biggest problem with Dark Knight, especially since I watched it right after watching Batman Begins, was recasting Rachel or whatever her name is that dies at the end of Dark Knight. I got used to Katie holmes as her by the end of BB, and then they got annoying ass Maggie Gyllenhall in Dark Knight.
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    "I threw a rock at him"
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ben Affleck Did A Great Job Playing Himself In Good Will Hunting...That's The Only Thing I'll Give Him Credit...Not A Fan Of His Acting Or His Directing
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    man, i'ms still ? about wally getting the ax and them bringing barry allen back...? the justice league..

• Copper
    Options
    Batman forever was awful it was just overshadowed by batman and robins awfulness
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    vl kilmer was an awesome bruce wayne, just a terrible batman...
  • Broddie
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Batman Forever is decent. It's main problem is that it has no tone. The tone is all over the place. The villains are terribly written and campy as ? while Bruce Wayne/Batman has a compelling & serious arc and so does Richard Grayson there is no balance. It feels like 2 completely different movies trying to function as one and that just never works.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    J carry played an hilarios riddler if they made him more serious in that movie he could pull that off.
  • Copper
    Options
    The interplay between nicole Kidman and kilmer was wack and forced....Jim Carey was handcuffed by shumaker..two face was cartoonish...the plot was wack...robins antics was childish....action was decent

Wack film

• TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I loved Batman Forever as kid, I recently watched it and I still think its a descent movie and I lowkey prefer it over Batman Returns

I hated Tommy Lee Jones as the two face tho. They had him way too animated and acting like the joker. Batman TAS's Two face was how two face should be.

Jim Carrey was an ok Riddler so was Val Kilmer, an ok Batman/Bruce Wayne
  • Broddie
    Options
    Jim Carrey was no Frank Gorshin.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman Forever was better than Batman Returns.yea i said it

Val kilmer did his thing Riddler was a good villain and Robin was played well.
  • Broddie
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Like I said I think Batman Forever is decent but Batman Returns is a much much much better movie on so many levels. Especially as an expressionistic movie with each villain representing different aspects of Batman's psyche if he would've taken the wrong path like Burton intended (Shreck the ruthless businessman, Penguin the bitter orphan, Catwoman the hostile vigilante with duality issues). That alone gives it more depth than anything found in Forever.
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Michelle Pfeifer >> Anne Hathaway,

Speaking of which, I'm watching MOS and real talk, it's better than TDK trilogy. Trust me.