The Notorious B.I.G. Fans Petition To Rename Brooklyn Intersection After Rapper

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
The Notorious B.I.G. clearly remains a much-loved fixture in his native Brooklyn, New York, as a fan of the late rapper has started a petition to have the intersection of St. James Place and Fulton Street to be co-named Christopher Wallace Way.

Thelifefiles.com has provided the contents of the petition, which is available to sign on Change.org.

"Christopher Wallace 'Notorious B.I.G., Biggie Smalls, Big Poppa' is a native of Brooklyn, NY, and his success through his artistic and creative lyrical wordsmith in music has influenced people around the world," explains the petition. "This is a petition to honor Christopher Wallace with the co-naming of the corner of this childhood home at St James Place and Fulton Street in Brooklyn, NY to Christopher Wallace Way."

The request extols the Notorious B.I.G.'s virtues, and addresses the impact he had on music. "Artistically during Christopher Wallace time in music he was considered the best at his craft, so much so, he was given the highest esteem by the leading Hip Hop magazine, The Source, as King of New York."

The petition also addressed some of the themes Biggie covered in his music. "Coming from modest beginning the story of Christopher Wallace tells the story of a boy to a man accomplishing greatness, using words as his tools. The story Christopher Wallace continues to have a resounding influence on new generations although he passed away in 1997.

"Please take the time to sign the petition for Christopher Wallace Way, and ask others to sign the petition also. Thank you for your time and consideration."

"Spread Love It’s The Brooklyn Way," adds McCarthy at the end of the petition.

On March 9, 1997, Biggie was fatally shot by an unknown individual or individuals in Los Angeles, California, mere months after Tupac Shakur, with whom B.I.G. was embroiled in a high-profile beef, had been similarly shot and killed.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/m/index.php?s=news&id=25293
What's the likelihood of this happening you think?

Comments

• esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    GOAT ? ....would rather they solve his murder though.
  • esco soprano
    esco soprano Members Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No..... <<<<<ear muffs son>>>>>>
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If they renamed your hs "boosie hs" you'd be celebrating

Boosie ain't seeing the streets for a while
  • jono
    Options
    Plap Star wrote: »
    are they talkin bout the rapper who talked about sellin dope and killin ?

lets be serious for a minute here

It's something to consider but this is America, we have racists and murderers on our money, we gave them holidays and built statues, so a ? that just talked about it can get a street.

Besides hes probably the most famous person to ever come from that area, so I guess it can happen.

I don't expect it to though
  • Jamaican Curry Bwoy
    Jamaican Curry Bwoy Members Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    _Menace_ wrote: »

Boosie ain't seeing the streets for a while

Neither is BIG....
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The intersection can only be named after Biggie if there's a restaurant with overrated food, a failing fitness club, and a comedy club with corny comedians.

Smh @ these Juicyfruits
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    Options
    The intersection can only be named after Biggie if there's a restaurant with overrated food, a failing fitness club, and a comedy club with corny comedians.

Smh @ these Juicyfruits

There is a expensive Bistro on the corner of St. James, There was a fitness club and a Gym that failed around the corner and the Karate spot is about to move cuz they can't afford the rent. Sometimes there's stand up at the senior citizens home around the corner, and at the masonic lodge up the street from where he lived. Maybe we're closer then you think..
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These needs to happen.
    Brooklyn needs this
    Like, the way things are changing
    The gentrification in Brooklyn is getting outta hand
    You can literally be on one side of the street, walking by projects and you look across the street
    And there's condos that the people in them projects across cant afford
    I spent 20 minutes in a neighborhood in Brooklyn the other day being the only black guy for blocks
    This needs to happen.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You know it's really a sad and desperate state for any community that has had thousands if not hundreds of thousands of blacks in that city and the only one they can think of to honor in this manner is an entertainer.\

No entrepreneurs that helped the local economy? No activists that fought for human rights and against police brutality? Anything like that? A ? entertainer?

? is going on in the black world where people except rappers to "speak out" but not their elected officials and want to honor rappers but not those who truly deserve it. Im not saying he didnt do a lot for his community that people dont know about. Im just saying if the only person to honor is an entertainer your community is trash.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If people want it why not? In my city there was a fight for years to name an already ? up street "James Brown Blvd" White folks were mad for some reason even though they wouldn't be caught dead on that street.....meanwhile Lady Antibellum wins a couple awards and they get not only a street, but an amplitheatre named after them(the dudes from the group are from my area) People always complain about stuff like this but it's not like the politicians came up with this ? on their own.
  • jono
    Options
    A fan started the petition it's up to city officials to take it up, I honestly don't think they will but it would be a good look for his legacy.

It'll also be a good look for the morale of the community because he cared so much about it. Unfortunately you don't see alot of politicians or academics helping or support their areas they tend to leave and never look back.

On the other hand BIG had the full support of the hoods and the people so this street would be just as much for them a it would be for his legacy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbwZH1aIN2I&amp;desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DGbwZH1aIN2I
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man aint nobody trying to rename a street after some fat black ass ? eyed ? boy.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not quite sure why Biggie deserves such an honor considering nearly every detail about his life and death is pretty much negative... Its not like he had some misguided revolutionary view points like Pac or nothing

This "The Black Demon" we talking about
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Id name a burger after him

The Notorious B.I.G.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Burger
    Is
    Gigantic
  • Jamaican Curry Bwoy
    Jamaican Curry Bwoy Members Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These needs to happen.
    Brooklyn needs this
    Like, the way things are changing
    The gentrification in Brooklyn is getting outta hand
    You can literally be on one side of the street, walking by projects and you look across the street
    And there's condos that the people in them projects across cant afford
    I spent 20 minutes in a neighborhood in Brooklyn the other day being the only black guy for blocks
    This needs to happen.

Co-sign to the fullest! You got these hipster yuppie kids moving in, acting like the locals that are already there are just an inconvenience. And its just THEIR world, but the black folk that's been living there for years are just in the way.... I think about pilgrim times with the Native Americans, and the savagery of the white man. And how swazye they were after doing all that with no regards! I can kinda see that in them from they're ancestors. And its ? how the cops are on gaurd for these all of a sudden. :-/
    700 Members Posts: 14,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

shittin me

I wouldn't send my kids there
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Plap Star wrote: »

shittin me

I wouldn't send my kids there

Not even to Weebie Elemenary?
  • eastbay510
    eastbay510 Members Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Would be dope if it actually happened but I doubt it though

If he was from a small town in the south or Midwest it would have a better chance of happening, but it's New York though
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? would still be getting robbed and be poor in that area
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The biggest issue is that Biggie lived on a block named after a saint. Biggie was no saint.
  • IceBergTaylor
    IceBergTaylor Members Posts: 19,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @BlackGerald

I dont understand the nosign