New Atheist/Agnostic Thread 2013

Options

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah, I'm open to that but it's not that type of thread but a thread where atheist/agnostics can be free to talk among each other without any religious talk.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You knew that wasn't going to happen.

But you're right though about the Bible
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Options
    @emperorrises. I think you made a mistake and gave me an "ether" badge. It's fine if all this thread is for is a refuge away from the ignorance of some Bible thumpers, but just don't think that by staying in the circle of friends that you will get all the answers.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2013
    Options
  • beenwize
    beenwize Members Posts: 2,024 ✭✭
    Options
    The Bible says ? is not the author of confusion yet we have over 40,000 christian denominations in the world today believing in different things. So how can ? be the author if that much confusion is caused by 1 book? The Bible believers on this forum alone don't even believe the same doctrine.

According to the Center for the Study of Global Christianity (CSGC) at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, there are approximately 41,000 Christian denominations and organizations in the world.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    beenwize wrote: »
    The Bible says ? is not the author of confusion yet we have over 40,000 christian denominations in the world today believing in different things. So how can ? be the author if that much confusion is caused by 1 book? The Bible believers on this forum alone don't even believe the same doctrine.

According to the Center for the Study of Global Christianity (CSGC) at Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary, there are approximately 41,000 Christian denominations and organizations in the world.

When you compare it to other religions it's has the biggest sects, that's crazy.
  • melanated khemist
    melanated khemist Members Posts: 608 ✭✭✭
    Options
    thought-provoking
    refreshing
    original
    mind strengthening
    endarkening

thread!
  • alissowack
    edited October 2013
    Options

I'm interested in knowing what was the standard in which this seminary used to come to this conclusion. Probably something as broad as...looking for crosses in front of buildings, looking biblical names and phrases in the titles of their denomination; whether or not the denomination references the Bible or even have Bibles...stuff that would generate numbers. I'm surprised that it is not higher than that. The confusion in not in the message, but in people's perspectives and worldviews.
  • beenwize
    Options
    alissowack wrote: »

I'm interested in knowing what was the standard in which this seminary used to come to this conclusion. Probably something as broad as...looking for crosses in front of buildings, looking biblical names and phrases in the titles of their denomination; whether or not the denomination references the Bible or even have Bibles...stuff that would generate numbers. I'm surprised that it is not higher than that. The confusion in not in the message, but in people's perspectives and worldviews.

Not true @ all. On this forum alone there is arguments amongst believers over things such as is Jesus or is Jesus not ? ? Is there everlasting hell? What day the sabbath is on? Are we undee the law or not? These are scriptural arguments and not bases on worldview.
  • alissowack
    edited October 2013
    Options

Not true @ all. On this forum alone there is arguments amongst believers over things such as is Jesus or is Jesus not ? ? Is there everlasting hell? What day the sabbath is on? Are we undee the law or not? These are scriptural arguments and not bases on worldview.

And those are still based on how we view the world. The "whether Jesus is ? " thing is based on our understanding of logic...either this or that, but not both. The "What Day Is The Sabbath" thing is based on what we understand about rules...what to abide by and how we should abide by them. The "whether there is a Hell" is based on our understanding of punishment for wrongdoing. Some people feel very strongly about what the perceive so when they read the Bible, those perspectives are coupled with what the Bible says which can distort...or confuse.
  • beenwize
    Options

And those are still based on how we view the world. The "whether Jesus is ? " thing is based on our understanding of logic...either this or that, but not both. The "What Day Is The Sabbath" thing is based on what we understand about rules...what to abide by and how we should abide by them. The "whether there is a Hell" is based on our understanding of punishment for wrongdoing. Some people feel very strongly about what the perceive so when they read the Bible, those perspectives are coupled with what the Bible says which can distort...or confuse.

Go ramble elsewhere. all those areguments are about what scripture teaches. christians will go against each other using different scripture to prove Jesus is ? or that he is not ? . Clearly that's confusion.
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think people who expect the bible to make people good have a misunderstanding of what that book is for, believing in ? does not make you a good person it makes you a wise person.

there being many denonminations is a good thing not a bad because to begin with the bible teaches that each person on earth should be developing our own personal relationship with ? through jesus. so the argument that the number of denonminations is a bad thing is faulty to me.

the old testament is largely about the creation of the nation of israel, i believe that in a sense ? used the other nations that surround israel to help create the nation/ethic group that he wanted to bring the messiah through so there being influences from egypt and other nations is no surprise to me.
  • alissowack
    Options

Go ramble elsewhere. all those areguments are about what scripture teaches. christians will go against each other using different scripture to prove Jesus is ? or that he is not ? . Clearly that's confusion.

My point isn't to say that there aren't any scriptural disagreements. My point is to say that there is more than just looking at a text. If we don't understand some basic elements of logic, then how would anyone argue whether Jesus is...or isn't ? ?

I mean...take the phrase, "you only live once". Some people base is on making the most of opportunities to better themselves. Some base it on this "eat, drink, (get high or do something crazy) and be merry for tomorrow we die" perspective.
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    My thread is ? ruined!!!!
  • bambu
    bambu Members Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    These ? think ? wrote the bible.....
  • beenwize
    Options
    bambu wrote: »
    These ? think ? wrote the bible.....

Think? Bible says that all scripture is "inspired" by ? so we don't think anything.

2 Timothy 3:16
    All scripture is given by inspiration of ? , and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

• waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let's discuss on how we became irreligious and your origins of beliefs or lack of.

Theists do not post any inflammantory posts or I will report you. No scriptures, no discussing how we are fools or the sort.

For me was after reading the bible and realizing it was just full of murder and blood shed and that it was copied from Sumeria, Egypt, some of it was from India, Abraham and Brahama and some other cannaanite religions. I just realized they just murder the most and indoctrinate their religion. So it's apart of mythology in my eyes.

show me the proof it was copied from sumeria and egypt and let's get this discussion popping........don't you know ? laws been with man since the first man walked the earth.

And let's talk about murder who was murder, before you answer that question, you need to go and find who was murdered and why.
  • waterproof
    Options

yo silly goat, his words was given in hebrew, go learn hebrew and read the scripture because the hebrew language was translate and the meanings of the words was taken out and rewritten by man, you want to blame ? ???

foolish ?
  • bambu
    Options
    inspiration

1. an inspiring or animating action or influence: I cannot write poetry without inspiration.
    2. something inspired, as an idea.
    3. a result of inspired activity.
    4. a thing or person that inspires.

Theology

a. a divine influence directly and immediately exerted upon the mind or soul.
    b. the divine quality of the writings or words of a person so influenced.

au·thor

1. a person who writes a novel, poem, essay, etc.; the composer of a literary work, as distinguished from a compiler, translator, editor, or copyist.

2. the literary production or productions of a writer: to find a passage in an author.
    3. the maker of anything; creator; originator: the author of a new tax plan.
    4. Computers. the writer of a software program, especially a hypertext or multimedia application.
    verb (used with object)
    5. to write; be the author of: He authored a history of the Civil War.
    6. to originate; create a design for: She authored a new system for teaching chemistry.
  • beenwize
    edited October 2013
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »

yo silly goat, his words was given in hebrew, go learn hebrew and read the scripture because the hebrew language was translate and the meanings of the words was taken out and rewritten by man, you want to blame ? ???

foolish ?

so ? is going to send me to hell for not learning Hebrew? lmao that only confirms that the Bible is not trustworthy because now that I have exposed KJV Bible you want me to learn Hebrew and read all this in the Hebrew language. LOL

If the BIble is inspired by ? then it should be perfect in all of it's translations.
  • waterproof
    Options
    this new age ? is the same ? , that the heathens followed, aint nothing new about it, that's how they suck you in, using the word NEW, lol...
  • waterproof
    Options

foolish ?

so ? is going to send me to hell for not learning Hebrew? lmao that only confirms that the Bible is not trustworthy because now that I have exposed KJV Bible you want me to learn Hebrew and read all this in the Hebrew language. LOL

If the BIble is inspired by ? then it should be perfect in all of it's translations.

again foolish ? , did i said ? will send you to hell, i said if you want to know the true meaning of the words then learn hebrew, that's what a real student do you lazy ? ...you all ways got questions and never answers now i know why, you is lazy.....

• bambu
    Options
    so ? is going to send me to hell for not learning Hebrew?

No.....

For being ignorant........

Learn English first.......

• beenwize
    Options

foolish ?

again foolish ? , did i said ? will send you to hell, i said if you want to know the true meaning of the words then learn hebrew, that's what a real student do you lazy ? ...you all ways got questions and never answers now i know why, you is lazy.....

? Hebrew. You worship the ? of this world and the book is published by Romans. ? that crazy insanely sick religion. I hate all western religions.
  • beenwize
    Options
    this new age ? is the same ? , that the heathens followed, aint nothing new about it, that's how they suck you in, using the word NEW, lol...

I don't follow new age teachings. I research ancient history and ancient religions.