Batman vs. Superman is the stupidest idea, ever.

Options
2»

Comments

• Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruce is smarter than Lex for the record.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No he isn't.

• jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »

No he isn't.

right. I don't think he's smarter than Mr. Terrific nor the Atom either
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    jaxn wrote: »

No he isn't.

Bruce is the Ryu/mario of the DCU. Well rounded in every possible discipline/science/skill. Good at everything, expert at nothing.

Lex is natural genius with zero scruples. In recent iterations, he is probably the greatest scientific mind in the modern day DCU (Brainiac 5 has the crown overall). Bruce is tactical, Lex is Machiavellian and treacherous to a Judas like extent.

Ted Kord was the Tony Stark of the DCU. The greatest engineer the old DCU had.

Mr. Terrific excels as a scientist/doctor/engineer hybrid. What differentiates him from Bruce imo is that he's naturally gifted at picking up skills.

An incorrect assumption people make about Bruce is that he's a genius/prodigy/athletic freak. NO.

The entire point of Batman is that one tragic incident pushed a regular joe into working harder than what most people think is humanly possible. Thats also the tragedy of Batman; that incident also created an obsession that can never be ceased. And turned all of that unlocked potential into weapons used for a neverending war.

Luthor is the tragedy of wasted genius in lieu of being an egomaniac. Bruce is the story of a human reaching the greatest potential just to fight a war he cannot win.

• Knives Amilli
    Options
    Dude everytime Batman's beaten superman it's been with some sort of trickery. Nobody thinks Superman is getting beat by Batman without some gimmick going on. That's Batman's thing though. There's always a plan, a trick, a gimmick, something that'll get his ass out the fire. That's why all that prep-time stuff is so prevalent because if you let Batman get the blueprint to you, it's over from now on. He'll always have something in his back pocket to incapacitate you. He's the ultimate planner basically.

Plus you gotta add in the fact that Batman is willing to take it to places Superman ain't so...*shrugs*. I do agree with the way they'd have to market the movie ? though because it will make it look more evenly matched than it should be, but in terms of comics remember why Batman is the only one Superman trusts to take him out if he ever goes rogue.

To me man, its like why even go there?

We've never seen a worlds finest movie. ? we've never even seen a studio even try to do something of this caliber.

Im sorry but Avengers doesn't count. Half that ? team cant carry solo books/movies and arent as big as icons as Superman/Batman. And also with Superman/Batman, you gain the ability to really contrast the themes of both characters. It might sound like i'm obsessed with this point, but understand that character/theme deconstruction is what made the Nolan trilogy so widely acclaimed. "The Dark Knight" imo was the most effective piece of work at illustrating so many themes of Batman that i've ever seen.

So to see that vision, that attention to detail in a possible Superman/Batman movie is exciting. But that fact that its "Batman vs. Superman" doesn't bode well.

And you know whats the worst part? Because the comics are always clamoring to catch that lightning, this ? is going to carry over into the comics (actually DC has a Batfamiy vs. Superfamily x-over planned for 2014). Worst case scenario is that Batman vs. Superman becomes a more popular trope than it already is.
  • Knives Amilli
    edited November 2013
    Options
    And ? honestly, with his powerset Superman should damn-near be ? mode. That doesn't make for good stories

...and yet the greatest Superman stories ever were written when he was portrayed at his strongest. If anything when Superman's power set was dumbed down and marvelized by John Byrne in the 80's it lead to many of the worst stories in the character's 75 year history.

? like powers shouldn't handicap imaginative writers, they should supplement them and challenge them. Which is why Elliot S! Maggin and Alan Moore and Grant Morrison are amongst the greatest Superman writers of the past 40 years because they understood that. They always wrote about a SUPER man not a farm boy. Thankfully New 52 writers understand that too which is why in 2 years we've had the best depiction of Superman in years popping up on the regular.

I think the Superman books are more exciting than theyve been in awhile.

But i hate nu52 Superman. With a passion. DC is so ? focused on selling the "strange visitor from another planet" angle this time around, they've taken alotta the humanity out of Superman in the process (no pun intended).

Superman comes across as cold, distant, and overtly aggressive now (especially under Geoff Johns's pen). Doesn't feel like the guy that was rescuing cats outta trees. And the new costume looks way too militaristic now. Yeah it looks less ridiculous than the old costume, (though i think the efforts to ensure its "trukk not munky" "ARMUR NOT SPANDECKS!!! are a bit much (S-shield shaped cutouts on the sleeve? Really?) ) but still it just feels too "ready for battle" instead of warm fuzzy superhero (which Superman should be).
  • Broddie
    edited November 2013
    Options
    And ? honestly, with his powerset Superman should damn-near be ? mode. That doesn't make for good stories

...and yet the greatest Superman stories ever were written when he was portrayed at his strongest. If anything when Superman's power set was dumbed down and marvelized by John Byrne in the 80's it lead to many of the worst stories in the character's 75 year history.

? like powers shouldn't handicap imaginative writers, they should supplement them and challenge them. Which is why Elliot S! Maggin and Alan Moore and Grant Morrison are amongst the greatest Superman writers of the past 40 years because they understood that. They always wrote about a SUPER man not a farm boy. Thankfully New 52 writers understand that too which is why in 2 years we've had the best depiction of Superman in years popping up on the regular.

I think the Superman books are more exciting than theyve been in awhile.

But i hate nu52 Superman. With a passion. DC is so ? focused on selling the "strange visitor from another planet" angle this time around, they've taken alotta the humanity out of Superman in the process (no pun intended).

In the past 2 years Superman has experienced jealousy over Lois' boyfriend, quit his job because it was going against his personal ethics, mourned his parents, accepted and tried to guide his long lost cousin despite their differences, questioned his duality, felt like an outsider, and more recently shown concern that Lois now knows his real ID etc. his humanity is STILL very much intact. So he no longer goes to whine to his parents when ? gets thick? tough luck, that comes with being a grown man. He now has to take personal accountability and responsibility on his own without guiding hands just like in the silver and bronze age. That level of independence is as human as it gets.
    Superman comes across as cold, distant, and overtly aggressive now (especially under Geoff Johns's pen).

How so? the only time Johns himself painted him as more aggressive was when his book was taking place 5 years ago during the first arc. It's been established since Morrison's arc that in his early days this Superman was a bit more arrogant and unapologetic guy who stands against any injustices whether corrupt politicians or wife beaters and not just master criminals and always takes initiative.

Sure that's more of a "hot head" than what he evolved into but it's nothing alien to the character of Superman at all. It's JUST like the original character by Siegel and Schuster. This is actually the closest to the Golden Age Superman DC has ever gotten in decades which means it's much truer to the core of the concept than any previous depiction.

Even then not being a pushover does not equate to being "overtly aggressive". There's nothing cold or distant about a guy who constantly goes out of his way to look after the well being of those he cares about and stands up for his belief. If anything that's being warm and emotive. Which is what has been presented in both Superman and Action Comics (I don't read that Snyder/Lee book) during the last 2 years.

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    Batman the GOAT
  • jaxn
    edited November 2013
    Options
    jaxn wrote: »

No he isn't.

Bruce is the Ryu/mario of the DCU. Well rounded in every possible discipline/science/skill. Good at everything, expert at nothing.

Lex is natural genius with zero scruples. In recent iterations, he is probably the greatest scientific mind in the modern day DCU (Brainiac 5 has the crown overall). Bruce is tactical, Lex is Machiavellian and treacherous to a Judas like extent.

Ted Kord was the Tony Stark of the DCU. The greatest engineer the old DCU had.

Mr. Terrific excels as a scientist/doctor/engineer hybrid. What differentiates him from Bruce imo is that he's naturally gifted at picking up skills.

An incorrect assumption people make about Bruce is that he's a genius/prodigy/athletic freak. NO.

The entire point of Batman is that one tragic incident pushed a regular joe into working harder than what most people think is humanly possible. Thats also the tragedy of Batman; that incident also created an obsession that can never be ceased. And turned all of that unlocked potential into weapons used for a neverending war.

Luthor is the tragedy of wasted genius in lieu of being an egomaniac. Bruce is the story of a human reaching the greatest potential just to fight a war he cannot win.

I have pretty good knowledge about Batman and his origins, but thanks for the write up
  • Bender Rodriguez
    Bender Rodriguez Members Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    im not a big comic fan but just from knowing the powers of superman, i dont see how batman wins. Like superman should be able to move faster than batmans brain sends the signal the his muscles to move
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i dont mind the Vs theme. They're setting up like a championship fight. Ali Vs Frazier, Tyson vs Holyfield, etc. I would prefer Worlds FInest too, but only comic book fans know that term. if Vs gets more people talking about it, all the better.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let's hope it's a bait and switch and the moment film promotion begins, it will be called "World's Finest".

I don't think anyone will have a problem with that.
  • akomax
    akomax Members Posts: 483 ✭✭✭
    Options
    basically ts is caping for superman ?!
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Yeah I'm not crazy about the title myself knowing that somewhere during the movie they are going to team up to go against said villains from Superman & Batman's rogue's gallery. I wish this was a prequel to a Justice League movie more than Man of Steel sequel but M.O.S. in essence planted the seeds for the plot of this movie imo.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    willhustle wrote: »
    Yeah I'm not crazy about the title myself knowing that somewhere during the movie they are going to team up to go against said villains from Superman & Batman's rogue's gallery. I wish this was a prequel to a Justice League movie more than Man of Steel sequel but M.O.S. in essence planted the seeds for the plot of this movie imo.

Honestly this is looking less like a man of steel movie and more of a justice league prequel with Batman, wonder woman, and nightwing maybe getting a mention as well. Not to mention I've been hearing that DC is thinking about putting arrow from the show into the movie universe but who knows until we get some real information.
  • thefabmd2dc
    thefabmd2dc Members Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember when everyone said the joker could never challenge superman like he does batman and then we got the emperor joker story.
    People need to just let it go before someone really decides to make batman that tier
  • jaxn
    Options
    well Joker had a power up didn't he? Just like most villians with powerups..they hang with the big boys. Doom with power ups can fight folks much greater in power level than himself
  • Broddie
    Options
    Exactly. Joker was given the power of a 5th dimensional imp who are among the most powerful beings in the entire DCU and always tend to give Supes a run for his money. It's not like The Joker just walked out of Arkham and took on Superman after changing his clothes.
  • thefabmd2dc
    thefabmd2dc Members Posts: 2,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    Yes that's my point. Joker planned the whole thing whenever the joker decides to step up his antics and challenge the entire DCU he makes sure he is sufficiently covered. Same thing with Dr Doom if he knows he's fighting someone stronger than him he covers himself by trying to steal their powers to bring him on their level.

There's no point to draw a line in the sand when you are dealing with characters smart enough to take advantage of any resource they might need batman included.
  • jaxn
    Options
    obviously if people are allowed to use prep and plot devices, there can be ways to bring the playing field even. However, some battles are just beyond a person.
  • nujerz84
    nujerz84 Members Posts: 15,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2013
    Options
    IT worked in Comics and Cartoons well...only those with an issue with it are Superman Fanboys upset how Supes was always portrayed in many of Batman vs Superman Encounters or those who try to apply every single real life action/realism to everything in comics literally.
  • veikuri
    veikuri Members Posts: 371 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Batman has never beat Superman in canon, by the way. Even a full krytonite Batman still lost to Superman. This isn't Smallville.
  • ItzGravitation
    ItzGravitation Members Posts: 7,205
    Options
    Batman cant even see Superman unless he got kryptonite.
    and even then Superman too fast for him to get to it