China and Japan battling it out over Africa

Options
13»

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    It was not the 1800s, it was 1904-1905. They may have been a tiny bit before that time but it's not like a non-white country had never proven to be a military threat before. Britain did not seem to think as lightly of the Japanese at the time.
    i am quite familiar with when the Russo-Japanese War (1904 is 5 years after the 1800s)... so i am pretty sure i'm implying that it happened because, in the run up to that time, white nations had been knocking non-white nations around and feeling smug about it.

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Was it though? The Mongols had decimated Russia for a long time. Literally ? the land. They had little reason to doubt the Japanese outside of their ignorant racist views. Especially considering the trouble that the Persians and Ottomans had given them. The Moors were also giving the occasional ass kicking to Spain and Italy.

Yeah what the Mongols did to Moscow was crazy, I've been reading on that lately...it's part of the reason Russians are so xenophobic to this day
  • FatterThanKat
    FatterThanKat Members Posts: 677
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    It was not the 1800s, it was 1904-1905. They may have been a tiny bit before that time but it's not like a non-white country had never proven to be a military threat before. Britain did not seem to think as lightly of the Japanese at the time.
    i am quite familiar with when the Russo-Japanese War (1904 is 5 years after the 1800s)... so i am pretty sure i'm implying that it happened because, in the run up to that time, white nations had been knocking non-white nations around and feeling smug about it.

Nonwhite nations knocked around white nations on occasion. Hell, France got beat by little old Haiti.
  • janklow
    Options
    Nonwhite nations knocked around white nations on occasion. Hell, France got beat by little old Haiti.
    it happened, but the 1800s were generally speaking a run of white guys colonizing and generally running wild. plus, you know how this goes: if the Haiti Revolution makes you look bad (and to be fair, you COULD make the "Napoleon too distracted after a certain point to give a ? " argument; he DID sell the US territory and pull troops from Haiti to fry bigger fish in Europe), you dismiss it and focus on what agrees with you.

i am not disputing Japan proved competent and whipped Russia; i do, however, think it's fair to say that their performance was largely surprising to observers and, when not totally surprising, attributed to poor Russian performance (see Pershing).

• FatterThanKat
    FatterThanKat Members Posts: 677
    Options
    I can't disagree with that. Japan was becoming more westernized and built a more modern military and navy, while Russia refused to do so which negatively affected their performance in that war.
  • janklow
    Options
    I can't disagree with that. Japan was becoming more westernized and built a more modern military and navy, while Russia refused to do so which negatively affected their performance in that war.
    i think you also have that weird effect where people think Russia had a bad-ass military and thus Russia seems content to rest on those laurels. Japan obviously took the lesson of Europeans muscling them around with warships VERY seriously.

• northside7
    northside7 Members Posts: 25,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    See what happens when ? choose to fight each other and adopt white religion instead of protect their own homeland and natural resources?

A bunch of other muthafukkas come in and snatch your ? up while you bullshittin. How pathetic is it that people thousands or hundreds of miles away not of your country, race or culture are fightiing over what will happen to YOUR land eventhough they dont even live there and the people will likely see NONE of that money to help the country as a whole SMH

C/S. True, so damn true.