Michael Dunn Murder Trial

Options
powerman 5000
powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2014 in The Social Lounge
The trial has started and I haven't seen anything posted on here about this yet. Anybody following this? Here's a live link with updates:

http://jacksonville.com/news/crime/2014-02-07/story/live-coverage-2nd-3-teens-jordan-davis-now-testifying-105-pm-update
INITIAL STORY THIS MORNING

The second day of testimony in the Michael Dunn trial Friday likely will include more witnesses who saw Dunn shoot 17-year-old Jordan Davis or observed the aftermath of what happened at the Jacksonville gas station where the shooting occurred.

In about three hours of testimony Thursday, the girlfriend of Davis, several people who worked at the Gate station and people who were nearby testified about what they saw.

Dunn is charged with the first-degree murder of Davis and the attempted murder of three other teenagers who were in the sport-utility vehicle together. According to police reports, Dunn pulled up to a Gate gas station on Southside Boulevard at Baymeadows Road and told the teenagers to turn their music down.

A friend in the front seat of the Dodge Durango turned the music down, but Davis, who was in the back seat, had the music turned back up and cursed at Dunn.

Dunn told police Davis threatened him with a gun and he fired back. Prosecutors and the three others in the SUV have said there was no gun and Dunn fired after becoming angry when Davis cursed at him.

No gun was found. Defense attorney Cory Strolla has suggested that the teens hid it before police arrived.

After Dunn fired 10 times at the Durango, hitting Davis three times, the teens fled into a connected strip mall parking lot. Strolla argued that was when they disposed of the gun and has pointed out the strip mall’s parking lot never was closed by police after the shooting.

Those three teenagers, Leland Brunson, Tevin Thompson and Tommie Stornes, will all be testifying in the trial. Thursday night, attorney John Phillips, who represents Brunson and Thompson, said his clients were likely to testify Friday.

The prosecution is now presenting its case. So the witnesses are backing up the state’s contention that Davis didn’t have a gun, and Dunn flew into a rage after Davis cursed him out.

Still to come from the prosecution are the police officers who investigated the case, a person who was in the adjacent parking lot when the teens fled into it and ballistics experts who will testify about how Davis was shot. Dunn’s girlfriend also could be called.

The defense will put on its case after the state rests.

The case is expected to go to the jury sometime next week and could continue Saturday.

The Times-Union will be providing updates throughout the day.

Discuss....

Comments

• brown321
    brown321 Members Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This cracka testified today. He live close by me.
    He's done.
  • powerman 5000
    powerman 5000 Members Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    closing arguments are today.... basically what we have is a guy that had been drinking shot a kid for thinking he saw the barrel of a shotgun that can't be proven exists and that the kid was exiting the vehicle even through that seems impossible because the child locks were activated on the car door. His lawyer went through extraordinary measures to say that the gun "could have" been stashed but eye witnesses seem to have shut that notion down. We'll see what happens next...
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    basically what we have is a guy that had been drinking
    this is actually the most overlooked aspect of the case

• janklow
    Options
    making one of these since it's somehow a non-SL current event:
    Nineteen years ago, Ron Davis and Lucia McBath celebrated the birth of a son.

Sunday, they should have celebrated Jordan Davis' birthday with him. Instead, they faced the prospect of a new trial for the man accused of killing him.

A jury in Jacksonville on Saturday found Michael Dunn guilty of attempted second-degree murder for opening fire on three other teens in the same SUV as Jordan Davis -- but deadlocked on the murder charge against him in Davis' death.

Prosecutors had argued that Dunn recklessly shot at the teens after complaining about the volume of their music in a convenience store parking lot. Three of his 10 shots struck Davis, one of them cutting through his liver, a lung and his aorta.

Dunn testified that Davis threatened him and that he thought he saw a gun sticking out of the Dodge Durango.

But Ron Davis said his son was a good kid and didn't deserve to be collateral damage in an argument over loud music. McBath said she was happy for a little bit of closure.

"It's sad for Mr. Dunn that he will live the rest of his life in that sense of torment, and I will pray for him," McBath said. "And I have asked my family to pray for him, but we are so grateful for the charges that have been brought against him. We are so grateful for the truth."

And moments before prosecutor Angela Corey said she would seek a new trial on the murder charge, McBath said she and her ex-husband will continue to stand up for their son, who was 17 when he was killed.

"We will continue to wait for justice for Jordan," she said.
    not EXACTLY sure where the first-degree murder charge comes from (not that familiar with Florida), but otherwise this seems about right.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Glad the son of a ? got convicted of something, unlike George Zimmerman. I still don't understand how Dunn didn't get at least 2nd degree murder for the boy who was murdered though???? WTF is going on in Florida? How you convict for attempted murder but not some form of murder for the boy? Disappointing verdict in a way but I'll take it over nothing
  • janklow
    Options
    Glad the son of a ? got convicted of something, unlike George Zimmerman. I still don't understand how Dunn didn't get at least 2nd degree murder for the boy who was murdered though????
    if they charged him with 1st-degree murder for THAT and attempted 2nd-degree for the rest, it makes more sense that a jury might think they didn't mean the burden for the former but did for the latter.

• kingblaze84
    edited February 2014
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    Glad the son of a ? got convicted of something, unlike George Zimmerman. I still don't understand how Dunn didn't get at least 2nd degree murder for the boy who was murdered though????
    if they charged him with 1st-degree murder for THAT and attempted 2nd-degree for the rest, it makes more sense that a jury might think they didn't mean the burden for the former but did for the latter.

Even with that being said, the guy shot up the car ten times, that's beyond overkill, especially if the kid wasn't carrying a weapon AND the car drove away at one point. Worst, he didn't even call the cops after he did it. The jury should have at least considered the boy during sentencing, he was an afterthought to them. Being fair, how is that NOT first degree murder? Remember, he was unarmed and a shot was never fired from the car. SMH......
  • WYRM
    WYRM Members Posts: 993 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The DA's office ? that one up, I agree they should had put it at 2nd degree murder, they would have gotten the conviction there. Being from Jacksonville, police here are ? ass bigots and the DA's office have their heads up their ? , I think the case was assembled to fail.
  • janklow
    Options
    Even with that being said, the guy shot up the car ten times, that's beyond overkill, especially if the kid wasn't carrying a weapon AND the car drove away at one point.
    shooting ten times isn't really the issue because we're really talking about whether or not he should have shot at all. Davis being unarmed was the point of contention; remember, Dunn's defense argued Davis (or a friend) WAS actually armed and ditched the gun later. likely ? , but that was the claim. however...
    Worst, he didn't even call the cops after he did it.
    THIS is one of the reasons i think his story was completely ? and i have no sympathy for him. if he thought he shot in self-defense legitimately, he should have called the police ASAP.
    The jury should have at least considered the boy during sentencing, he was an afterthought to them.
    the jury convicted him of the charges they did. i don't think they have anything to do with the sentencing (or that Dunn has even been sentenced yet).
    Being fair, how is that NOT first degree murder? Remember, he was unarmed and a shot was never fired from the car. SMH......
    being fair, if THE WORLD'S GREATEST RESOURCE is correct, "In Florida, a person is guilty of first degree murder when it is perpetrated from a premeditated design to result in the death of a human being. A person is also guilty of first degree murder if they cause the death of any individual during the commission of a predicate felony regardless of actual intent or premeditation. This is called felony murder." this wouldn't have been premeditated and i don't think we're talking predicate felony here. so first-degree might legitimately be an excessive charge.

it doesn't matter that the victims (because he shot at all of them) were unarmed. if they'd shot at Dunn, this would likely all be a moot point. we shouldn't hammer him because we're really mad, we should hammer him in compliance with the law. like ? Wright said, they should have run with second-degree murder and they probably would have convicted. Corey is a ? DA.

• kingblaze84
    edited February 2014
    Options
    Even with that being said, the guy shot up the car ten times, that's beyond overkill, especially if the kid wasn't carrying a weapon AND the car drove away at one point.
    shooting ten times isn't really the issue because we're really talking about whether or not he should have shot at all. Davis being unarmed was the point of contention; remember, Dunn's defense argued Davis (or a friend) WAS actually armed and ditched the gun later. likely ? , but that was the claim. however...
    Worst, he didn't even call the cops after he did it.
    THIS is one of the reasons i think his story was completely ? and i have no sympathy for him. if he thought he shot in self-defense legitimately, he should have called the police ASAP.
    The jury should have at least considered the boy during sentencing, he was an afterthought to them.
    the jury convicted him of the charges they did. i don't think they have anything to do with the sentencing (or that Dunn has even been sentenced yet).
    Being fair, how is that NOT first degree murder? Remember, he was unarmed and a shot was never fired from the car. SMH......
    being fair, if THE WORLD'S GREATEST RESOURCE is correct, "In Florida, a person is guilty of first degree murder when it is perpetrated from a premeditated design to result in the death of a human being. A person is also guilty of first degree murder if they cause the death of any individual during the commission of a predicate felony regardless of actual intent or premeditation. This is called felony murder." this wouldn't have been premeditated and i don't think we're talking predicate felony here. so first-degree might legitimately be an excessive charge.

it doesn't matter that the victims (because he shot at all of them) were unarmed. if they'd shot at Dunn, this would likely all be a moot point. we shouldn't hammer him because we're really mad, we should hammer him in compliance with the law. like ? Wright said, they should have run with second-degree murder and they probably would have convicted. Corey is a ? DA.

You're right I agree. Second degree would have been the stronger and safest charge, the behavior was so outrageous though Corey believed a jury would go for first, which is understandable and I also heard the family wanted a first degree charge. Either way, I hope Dunn gets his justice in jail and has fun with the inmates there
  • antoseeg
    antoseeg Members Posts: 306 ✭✭✭
    Options
    The justice system has failed again.
  • janklow
    edited February 2014
    Options
    You're right I agree. Second degree would have been the stronger and safest charge, the behavior was so outrageous though Corey believed a jury would go for first, which is understandable and I also heard the family wanted a first degree charge.
    honestly, it really seems like Corey is a ? DA and if someone ? this up, i blame her.

now i DID hear someone arguing that the jury COULD have found him guilty of lesser degrees of murder in response to a first-degree charge, but honestly, i don't know how that works in FL.

EDIT: reading a little Massad Ayoob just now, i note he points out "In his closing statement, prosecutor John Guy told the jury that the state didn’t want anything less than a Murder One conviction. It may turn out to be a case of “be careful what you ask for, you might just get it.”" so this again sounds like the prosecution ? it up.
    Either way, I hope Dunn gets his justice in jail and has fun with the inmates there
    even if he doesn't get convicted of murder down the line (i think Corey wants to go back for first-degree murder AGAIN), he's spending the rest of his life in jail. so there's at least that.

unrelated note: as a huge gun guy, these kinds of cases (Dunn, Zimmerman) drive me ? NUTS because they always bring out a bunch of anti-gun ? ranting about "THIS IS WHAT GUNS DO BAN THEM ARGH" and a bunch of pro-gun racist ? ranting about "BLACK PEOPLE ARGH" until i just wish a plague would wipe out 99.6% of the Earth's population.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    You're right I agree. Second degree would have been the stronger and safest charge, the behavior was so outrageous though Corey believed a jury would go for first, which is understandable and I also heard the family wanted a first degree charge.
    honestly, it really seems like Corey is a ? DA and if someone ? this up, i blame her.

now i DID hear someone arguing that the jury COULD have found him guilty of lesser degrees of murder in response to a first-degree charge, but honestly, i don't know how that works in FL.

EDIT: reading a little Massad Ayoob just now, i note he points out "In his closing statement, prosecutor John Guy told the jury that the state didn’t want anything less than a Murder One conviction. It may turn out to be a case of “be careful what you ask for, you might just get it.”" so this again sounds like the prosecution ? it up.
    Either way, I hope Dunn gets his justice in jail and has fun with the inmates there
    even if he doesn't get convicted of murder down the line (i think Corey wants to go back for first-degree murder AGAIN), he's spending the rest of his life in jail. so there's at least that.

unrelated note: as a huge gun guy, these kinds of cases (Dunn, Zimmerman) drive me ? NUTS because they always bring out a bunch of anti-gun ? ranting about "THIS IS WHAT GUNS DO BAN THEM ARGH" and a bunch of pro-gun racist ? ranting about "BLACK PEOPLE ARGH" until i just wish a plague would wipe out 99.6% of the Earth's population.

Yeah completely understandable, it seems the extremes on both sides lose it on gun rights but thankfully, Americans decided to not ban assault weapons on a national level again, although the idiot governor in NY did so and I'm still ? you can only have a clip of seven bullets in a gun LOL ? help someone if they ever face a home invasion against guys with much more clips. I guess when one has bodyguards everywhere, they care less about everyone else's safety.

Racist people can kiss my Black ass when they mention Trayvon being the aggressor and same with the boy Jordan, who did not even shoot at Dunn, and no proof exists there was a weapon on him. Nevermind Black people have NOT done the most killing in this nation lol
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    he could of done something else other then shooting if the music was really brothering him .
  • janklow
    Options
    I guess when one has bodyguards everywhere, they care less about everyone else's safety.
    pretty much
    i think NY almost got it when the one judge who tossed out the muzzle brake portion of the SAFE Act made a comment about how the "load only 7 rounds" law didn't make sense since it was arbitrary... but didn't think about applying that thought to the 10 round limit.