No. 2 Chicago Curie forfeits season

Options
Young_Chitlin
Young_Chitlin Members Posts: 23,852 ✭✭✭✭✭

ESPN.com news services

CHICAGO -- Chicago Curie Metropolitan High School's basketball team, ranked No. 2 in the nation, has forfeited this year's games because several players were academically ineligible to compete, public schools officials announced Friday.

Chicago Public Schools said seven players on Curie's 24-1 varsity team were ineligible from the start of the 2013-14 season.

Student-athletes in the district must maintain a 2.0 GPA to participate in sports, or have an individual study plan in place to help them improve academically.

District CEO Barbara Byrd-Bennett says Curie's head coach, Michael Oliver, has been suspended.

"As adults, educators and mentors, it is our responsibility to teach our students right from wrong and, unfortunately, the adults let these student athletes down by failing to do that and comply with CPS policies," Byrd-Bennett said in a statement.

In addition to regular-season games, Curie, ranked second in USA Today Sports' Super 25, will forfeit this year's Chicago high school championship, earned with a win against Whitney Young High School. The title will remain vacant.

Chicago Public Schools revealed it was investigating Curie hours before the team competed against Whitney Young for the city title on Feb. 21.

The game, which Curie won in four overtimes, drew national attention because two players, Whitney Young's Jahlil Okafor and Curie's Cliff Alexander, are considered by some to be the best in the nation.

Alexander has committed to Kansas. Okafor is headed to Duke.

Curie still may be allowed to compete for a state championship. That's because the Illinois High School Association has different requirements for eligibility. Students must pass five courses and achieve a minimum of 2.5 credits at the time of the tournament, district officials said.

IHSA Executive Director Marty Hickman said in a statement that the organization is still reviewing the district's report on the investigation, and it will be in a position to make a decision by Monday.

Comments

• greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't know about Illinois, but in many states and districts, all head coaches are also teachers or administrators and they can get suspended themselves for playing ineligible players.
  • ckfree
    ckfree Members Posts: 9,659 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    political hacks
    cps administrators
    union first teachers

these kids are not held accountable and have the deck stacked against them and if they are talented enough in sports they will be accepted to a college and further exploited for the enrichment of others

with that said that curie/whitney young game last week was crazy

cliff alexander

just another something coming outta chicago you gotta deal with
  • greenwood1921
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Yea, you gotta get a sub-2.0 on purpose.

Either that or you're literally ? and nobody figured it out yet.
  • Chi-Town Bully
    Chi-Town Bully Members Posts: 29,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not sure if they do it now but when I was in high school the school would send out progress reports to the parents and those athletes would have to bring those to their coaches. It just seems to me that this coach didn't care and wasn't checking up on the kids
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Lol struggleful
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Someone snitched on the team
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In before someone makes a joke about their shot...selection
    Chi'ness
  • MontyM.Max
    MontyM.Max Members Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? crazy. I remember Julian had to forfeit plenty games cuz they had 3 old ass Africans on the squad.
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    1. that school has been on academic probation for a while.
    2. Most big high schools don't give a ? about their grades if they have a good team.
    3. If Simeon ( rose and parker) or WY would had won and their players were failing, they wouldn't had done ? . All that ? is corrupt b.

Simeon needs to forfeit all their wins because they are not suppose to recruit other players from different high schools and let them play the following season.
  • detcatinva
    detcatinva Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn nobody can atleast get a 2.0
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I kno ? ain't surprised d rose didn't even take the act
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ericb4prez wrote: »
    I kno ? ain't s
    urprised d rose didn't even take the act

Allegedly
  • Billy_Poncho
    Billy_Poncho Members Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? were prolly in the gym all day hoopin and none of the coaches said ? .
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ericb4prez wrote: »
    I kno ? ain't s
    urprised d rose didn't even take the act

Allegedly

The fact it's alleged is enough for me cuz you need ID to take it so that ? shouldn't even be in question
  • StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    Telling y'all this a conspiracy .
  • greenwood1921
    Options

I hear what you saying. Every city got those Magnet/private powerhouse high schools that recruit out of the hood and always get away with ? that regular hood schools don't.

Just in the last 20 years my hood has produced at least 20 NFL and NBA players and only like 2 actually went to the neighborhood school because they were being "recruited" as far back as middle school.

And a lot of those nikkas I remember them struggle-reading in class in elementary and middle school. You know - when the teacher make them read out loud and they skipping over commas and periods - pointing at the text with their fingers, squinting at the book like a Korean driver, etc.

Nikkas that I knew were dumber than dirt but somehow getting into private schools and Magnet schools and staying eligible while reading and writing on a 4th grade level. foh.

Just the way it is.
  • goodlookinout
    goodlookinout Members Posts: 5,302 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I hear what you saying. Every city got those Magnet/private powerhouse high schools that recruit out of the hood and always get away with ? that regular hood schools don't.

Just in the last 20 years my hood has produced at least 20 NFL and NBA players and only like 2 actually went to the neighborhood school because they were being "recruited" as far back as middle school.

And a lot of those nikkas I remember them struggle-reading in class in elementary and middle school. You know - when the teacher make them read out loud and they skipping over commas and periods - pointing at the text with their fingers, squinting at the book like a Korean driver, etc.

Nikkas that I knew were dumber than dirt but somehow getting into private schools and Magnet schools and staying eligible while reading and writing on a 4th grade level. foh.

Just the way it is.

That ? had me in tears cause it's all the way real
  • WhoisDonG???
    WhoisDonG??? Members Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They got hated on. Certain schools in they feelings over Curie winning. And they favorites to still win state. Chicago Public Schools been recruiting for years.
  • S2J
    S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I knew that name sounded familiar

Cliff Alexander thr dude that ethered IIinois by switchin hats on selection day

Lol Not even jokin, white people r evil: i wouldnt b surprised if one of them have a hand in bringin this to light.

• MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options