Should a marriage license have an expiration date?

Options
2»

Comments

• dwade206
    dwade206 Members Posts: 11,558 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah
    ...question was hilarious though
  • LPast
    LPast Members Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    I think marriage should be like some software.............................give you the option to sign up for a 30 day trial to see do you wanna pursue option or not

Do date for 3+ years and do a 30 day trial?....
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah
    lol, people stay tryna make marriage non-permanent.....

look if you ain't bout that forever life...then don't sign up
  • Jungz
    Jungz Members Posts: 991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    yup
    ayo....

eddiemurphyyesnodapprov_zps5101f699.gif

you might be on to something mam. I've always told people that if i ever got married I would have to get a prenup regardless of our financial situation (though i wouldn't push it if she was caked up and i wasn't) not because i don't trust my s/o but because i'm a realist.. ? fall out of love everyday B.. and depending how the marriage ends, she may want to be spiteful. If it were to end on good terms, i'm not going to have my ex wife ? up in these streets anyway, so she'd be ok. But this license thing should definitely be an option for the realists who dont want to go through the ugliness that comes with divorces.

We might need to push for a bill or whatever.. make this a thing. GOAT thread.
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yup
    not a terrible idea actually...

The romantic in me rebels at the idea as being preposterous. But realistically it does have some logic. So many marriages in this country end in divorce. Think of the manpower, time, money that could be saved if, instead of having to go through the whole messy and overly long divorce process, couples could simply let their license expire. No need to pay for an attorney. No need to waste the court's time fighting over visitation every other Easter and 4th of July. I could definitely see issuing a license that's valid for say.....7 years...and giving couples ample time to renew (by mail, let's not make it too difficult). Yup...seems pretty legit to me.
    JLbEBFu.gif
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Everything has an expiration date
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2014
    Options
    yup
    wouldn't be against it...the thought of being with 'one' woman for the rest of your life and you happen to marry in your 20s and you live to 86 shid..even your job gives you a way out to leave them (retirement)
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yup
    I hate bureaucracies. I want an absurd amount of bureaucratic ? put into place to the point where people realize how much they suck and get rid of them completely. The marriage license should expire every six months and you would need to go to the DOM (Department of Marriage) to get it renewed. There would always be a huge line, and even though there was a lot of staff there getting paid with tax dollars only one person would actually be working. Before you could be helped by one of the DOM staff you would need to fill out a needlessly long marriage license form. It would look identical to the divorce license form so many people would fill out the wrong one, wait in line an hour, and then find out they need to do it all over again but with the proper form.

• a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kai wrote: »
    taking a break without a divorce already exists, it's called a legal separation

the "gist" of the conception/misconception is the underlined

people do not what the legal hassle of it all

• MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yup
    For me personally I wouldn't want an expiration on my license. It's do or die for me and mine.
    But I wouldn't knock it for those who would want it.

I think a 5 and 7 license would do some good.

In between those years you should be able to apply for a suspension of the license if things aren't working out. The suspension fee would be half the cost of you payed for the marriage license.

When the 5 or 7 years are up you can renew for another 5 to 7 years.

If you wish to end the marriage you can do so at the end of your expiration date uncontested.

If it is contested then you can hire your divorce lawyers and go from there.
  • a.mann
    a.mann Members Posts: 19,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The GREATER misconception is the marriage licence itself

All that really does is ensure you with certain benefits, responsibilities and obligations to that person as their legal spouse which will be recognized and acknowledged by institutions of a country,state,city etc.

• DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yup
    YUP.

See if you wanna renew your contract or not.
  • MzKB
    MzKB Members Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yup
    Allergens wrote: »
    cm-32243-050ac35eb184d4.gif

You say nah, but the gif says otherwise
  • God_Yunn
    God_Yunn Members Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yup
    i don't necessarily disagree but if one person doesn't wana renew the license & the other does, wouldn't you just be in the same situation as a regular divorce getting lawyers & whatnot involved?

let's not act like this will go smoother than a lifelong commitment to marriage...there will still be people who'd wana end it before the expiration date. & if you didn't stay together you would still need to split asset anyway so i don't see how this is that different.

thats the point of the license if one person wants to renew and the other doesn't then thats just it ,it won't be renewed,its just over.. Its a break up
  • deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Piyonce wrote: »
    giphy.gif
    So you sayin you wanna "do you" while you married to me............

"You do you....and I'ma do me boo boo" - @kat

• Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah
    deadeye wrote: »
    Piyonce wrote: »
    giphy.gif
    So you sayin you wanna "do you" while you married to me............

"You do you....and I'ma do me boo boo" - @kat

Lord knows she trys............
  • pegcas
    pegcas Members Posts: 107 ✭✭
    Options
  • sweetheart93
    sweetheart93 Members Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • lighthearted26
    lighthearted26 Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I can just see one spouse purposely not showing up at the probate office or "accidently" losing the renewal forms.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nah
    Yall know me...

Basically what Du said. Ain't no room for half stepping or regret. Either u all in when u say those vows say or dont do it...
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    I think marriage should be like some software.............................give you the option to sign up for a 30 day trial to see do you wanna pursue option or not

DEAD_
  •   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She'll be aight.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Options
    nah
    Yall know me...

Basically what Du said. Ain't no room for half stepping or regret. Either u all in when u say those vows say or dont do it...

Great idea til your spouse starts abusing your loyalty

Then you same 'all the way down' types gotta ? the bird bc you don't know when to go
    Bitter ? post

You sound hurt fam...wanna talk about it?

MppYv.gif

• Arya Tsaddiq
    Options