After Crimea, West plans for Russia military threat (Wars and Rumors of Wars)

Options
DoUwant2go2Heaven
DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in R & R (Religion and Race)
http://news.yahoo.com/crimea-west-plans-russia-military-threat-231632674--sector.html?soc_src=copy

LONDON/BRUSSELS (Reuters) - For defense planners in Washington, London and Brussels, the sight of Russian forces pouring into their second neighbor in six years will overturn two decades of strategic assumptions.

The result of Russia's seizure of Crimea from Ukraine, following its 2008 war with Georgia, could be a modest reversal of years of European defense cuts and a bigger U.S. military presence in the NATO members of central and eastern Europe.

Since the end of the Cold War, the Western alliance has shifted its attention to Afghanistan, Kosovo and counter-piracy operations off the coast of Somalia, as well as Libya during its 2011 civil war. But by the time NATO government leaders meet in September in Wales, some people believe their focus will have returned to deterring Moscow.

In Washington on Wednesday for meetings with senior officials, NATO Secretary-General Anders Fogh Rasmussen accused Moscow of acting to "rip up the international rulebook, trying to redraw the map of Europe and creating... the most serious security crisis since the end of the Cold War".

"It goes to the heart of what NATO is about," he told a forum at Georgetown University.

While a major war in Europe remains extremely unlikely, it is no longer unthinkable, say officials and analysts. But finding the money for more military resources will be tough.

In the past fortnight, Washington and NATO have tried to reassure members of the alliance that were once part of the Soviet bloc, such as Poland and the Baltic states. Sending a message that NATO stands with them in any confrontation with Moscow, the United States deployed F-15 fighters to Lithuania and alliance early warning aircraft have increased patrols. While some Western governments regarded Russia's war with Georgia as a one-off, they see its annexation of Crimea as a sign of things to come.

Since 2008 European Union states have cut their military budgets by about 15 percent, according to a report last year from the Centre for European Reform, whereas Russia has increased its by about 30 percent.

While Moscow lacks its Cold War-era strength to overrun much of Europe, President Vladimir Putin seems increasingly confident in intervening in his neighborhood.

"This requires a complete reappraisal of how we approach Russia," says Fiona Hill, U.S. national intelligence officer for Russia from 2006 to 2009, who now heads the Europe program at the Brookings Institution in Washington. "Putin has made it very clear he intends to reassert Russia's sphere of influence ... We don't have a strategy to deal with that."

Putin has said Sunday's Crimean referendum, which Kiev and the West have refused to recognize, showed the overwhelming will of the people to be reunited with Russia. Moscow has also said that worries it might now move on Russian-speaking areas in eastern Ukraine are unjustified.

Western officials and analysts say there is little NATO can do to stop Moscow in former Soviet states that are outside the alliance, such as Ukraine and Georgia, although some say NATO membership for them might come back on the agenda.

The potential flashpoint, however, is the Baltic states. These former Soviet republics are now in NATO and therefore protected by Article 5 of its treaty, which requires all members to help an ally under attack. Like Ukraine, they are home to significant Russian minorities.

"Western nations have minimized the prospect of having to reinforce our eastern allies," said one senior Western official on condition of anonymity. "At a stroke, all that has changed."

ERA OF WAR IN EUROPE "NOT OVER"
Another NATO diplomat put it more strongly.

"I think people do understand continental wars in Europe are not over," he said on condition of anonymity. "We will not be credible if we simply continue as if nothing has happened."

U.S. forces in Europe have shrunk dramatically since the Cold War. Their numbers are about 80,000, including 14,000 civilian staff, according to the U.S. military's European Command, down from just over 300,000 in the last decades of the Soviet Union.

Speaking on condition of anonymity, U.S. officials played down suggestions of a major shift in America's European presence following events in Crimea. Other officials and analysts, however, say a change in strategic mood is already underway.

Reversing defense cuts is likely to be a major topic of the NATO summit, British Foreign Secretary William Hague told Sky News earlier this month. Some analysts are skeptical.

"Frankly there is no appetite for increasing defense spending," said Judy Dempsey, senior associate at Carnegie Europe, noting that despite Hague's comments there were no signs of Britain reversing its defense cuts.

The most likely scenario, she said, was for countries to pool more resources and aim for greater efficiency.
Some countries such as Germany might put off planned further cuts, while U.S. force withdrawals could also cease.

Some analysts had expected the Pentagon to pull a squadron of F-15 fighters out of their base in Lakenheath, England, as it prioritizes the Pacific. That now looks less likely - 10 of the squadron's aircraft are in the Baltic states.

Ultimately, some Western officials privately say Washington and perhaps others may end up with a permanent presence in Eastern Europe. That would overturn an unwritten agreement with Moscow not to base U.S. forces in former East bloc states.

NUCLEAR WORRIES

In the shorter term, temporary deployments and training missions look likely to increase dramatically.

"Russia is not posing a mass army threat but rather the ability to selectively use its local military advantages decisively, backed up by the threat to escalate," says Elbridge Colby, a former Pentagon official who is now at the Center for a New American Security. "The corresponding NATO response needs to be to present a deterrent to Russia's ability to pull this off against NATO members."

Last year, NATO conducted one of its largest recent exercises, "Steadfast Jazz" in Poland and Latvia, deploying its rapid response brigade in a show of force that some officials said was aimed at reassuring local states. That followed a major Russian exercise code-named "Zapad-13" in which 10,000 Russian troops fought "Baltic terrorists" in Belarus.

Nuclear weapons are also back on the agenda.

With the rhetoric rising during the Crimean crisis, a senior Kremlin-backed broadcaster made an explicit nuclear threat this week, saying Russia remained "capable of turning the United States into radioactive ash".

That could have an effect on those countries - Germany, the Netherlands, Belgium, Italy and Turkey - with U.S. nuclear weapons still on their soil. This arrangement had seemed anachronistic and there had been talk of ending it.

Experts say NATO faces another awkward reality with conventional weapons. In the event of simultaneous crises with Russia and China - perhaps over the Baltic states and disputed South China Sea islands respectively - Washington would probably struggle to reinforce both regions.

"The week before Russia went into Crimea, we published our defense budget and Quadrennial Defense Review," said Nikolas Gvosdev, professor of national security studies at the U.S. Naval War College. "That accepted a risk of war with China. But not Russia."

(Additional reporting by Phil Stewart in Washington; Editing by David Stamp and Lisa Shumaker)

Comments

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Oh yeah just in case you forgot, here goes a sign of the times

http://youtu.be/BCqG9t6xllY

Is it just happenstance that the flag falls right at the part of the anthem that says, "and our flag was still there"?

or

Is it just coincedence that the other 2 flags that remain both belong to the former Soviet Union?

But it's all good, you just stay asleep and distracted. Blow off the prophetic scriptures and continue to scoff. For so it was written. Amen.

But let the one who has ears to hear, let him or her hear.

"I heard another voice from heaven saying, "Come out of Babylon, my people, so that you do not participate in her sins and suffer from any of her plagues." Revelation 18:4
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    Who cares though? Neither one of these countries give a ? about ? . I hope they ? each other. Who'll be the savages then..

The ancient prophecies are coming into view my friend. If you can't see that by now, I would advise you to go back to your roots and open up the word of ? . It's all right there for you to see, read, study, understand, and apply what ? is speaking to you in your personal life. Amen.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Ancient prophecies my ass
  • Jungz
    Jungz Members Posts: 991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Is it just happenstance that the flag falls right at the part of the anthem that says, "and our flag was still there"?

or

Is it just coincedence that the other 2 flags that remain both belong to the former Soviet Union?

But it's all good, you just stay asleep and distracted. Blow off the prophetic scriptures and continue to scoff. For so it was written. Amen.

"I heard another voice from heaven saying, "Come out of Babylon, my people, so that you do not participate in her sins and suffer from any of her plagues." Revelation 18:4
    So since the Europeans are slowly turning the churning the world into babylon.. are the scriptures telling us to just ? ourselves?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    Oceanic wrote: »

Well Revelation was written near the end of the 1st century on the island of Patmos by the apostle John. That was almost 2,000 years ago.

Jeremiah and Isaiah were written 600-700+ years before the book of Revelation. Thus making them at least 2600 years old.

Sounds pretty ancient to me. Shrugs.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    Oh yeah, and ? knows the end from the begining thus He can tell the future with 100% accuracy since He is already in the future. Amen.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Jungz wrote: »

or

So since the Europeans are slowly turning the churning the world into babylon.. are the scriptures telling us to just ? ourselves?

No. Babylon the Great is America. America will be destroyed by Nuclear holocaust in 1 day and in 1 hour. The destruction of Babylon the Great is the signal point that tells the world that we are now in the tribulation period. After Babylon the Great is destroyed by fire, the antichrist will soon appear and he will have all the answers. He will restore a false sense of peace and demand that in order to function in the NWO, you must take his mark. The mark is the mark of the beast which will forever damn your soul to the lake of fire if you accept it. Amen.
  • Jungz
    Jungz Members Posts: 991 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jungz wrote: »

or

No. Babylon the Great is America. America will be destroyed by Nuclear holocaust in 1 day and in 1 hour. The destruction of Babylon the Great is the signal point that tells the world that we are now in the tribulation period. After Babylon the Great is destroyed by fire, the antichrist will soon appear and he will have all the answers. He will restore a false sense of peace and demand that in order to function in the NWO, you must take his mark. The mark is the mark of the beast which will forever damn your soul to the lake of fire if you accept it. Amen.

tumblr_m9yhq8Qjw91qh9nffo1_500.gif
  • Bodhi
    Options
    Oh yeah, and ? knows the end from the begining thus He can tell the future with 100% accuracy since He is already in the future. Amen.

? don't have the answers. He ain't living in the future. He's living in your imagination.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options

? don't have the answers. He ain't living in the future. He's living in your imagination.

He holds your breath in His hand, Have you thanked Him today my friend?
  • Bodhi
    Options

Well Revelation was written near the end of the 1st century on the island of Patmos by the apostle John. That was almost 2,000 years ago.

Jeremiah and Isaiah were written 600-700+ years before the book of Revelation. Thus making them at least 2600 years old.

You don't know when Revelations was written or even who wrote it.
  • Got Em Shook
    Got Em Shook Members Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Merica ain't worried bout ?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited March 2014
    Options

The author identifies himself and his location in the 1st chaper of the book of Revelation.

And it's the book of Revelation not "revelations"
  • Bodhi
    Options

He holds your breath in His hand

you living fairy tales

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options

you living fairy tales

If breathing is a fairy tale, I guess your living it too. Have you thanked Him yet? He loves you my friend. Amen.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    Merica ain't worried bout ?

I know, that is what the prophecy declares.

"As much as she glorified herself and lived luxuriously, give her that much torment and grief, for she says in her heart," I sit as a queen; I am not a widow, and I will never see grief. For this reason in one day her plagues will come, pestilence and mourning and famine, and she will be utterly burned up with fire; for the Lord ? who judges her is strong." Revelation 18:7-8

Amen.
  • Bodhi
    Options

The author identifies himself and his location in the 1st chaper of the book of Revelation.

You don't know who "John" is.
  • Bodhi
    Options

you living fairy tales

If breathing is a fairy tale, I guess your living it too. Have you thanked Him yet? He loves you my friend. Amen.

I don't thank things that don't exist

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options

Again, the author of the book of Revelation gives his location and his name. It is well documented that John the apostle, the beloved disciple, was banished towards the end of his life.

But the human author of the book of Revelation isn't important, what's important is the message that the true author (THE LORD JESUS CHRIST) conveyed to the human author. Do you know Him today my friend?
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options

you living fairy tales

No matter how hard you try to not to believe, your date with the King is set in stone. And you will arrive at your appointment on time for your arrignement. May you be covered in the blood of Christ when you stand before Him. Amen.
  • Got Em Shook
    Got Em Shook Members Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ....that bible verse had nothing to do with my comment. Just stop
  • Bodhi
    Options

Again, the author of the book of Revelation gives his location and his name. It is well documented that John the apostle, the beloved disciple, was banished towards the end of his life.

But the human author of the book of Revelation isn't important, what's important is the message that the true author (THE LORD JESUS CHRIST) conveyed to the human author. Do you know Him today my friend?

John is a popular name. How you know it wasn't some other John? Somebody posing as John.. Or an unknown author who's pen name just happened to be John.

Again, you don't know who wrote the book of revelations

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    Aye @DoUwant2go2Heaven?‌ what do you think about the similarities of the stories of the bible and works that predate the bible? Do you think that it's just a coincidence or in fact stolen or copied? Thanks for your answer.

Well there is a deceiver who imitates everything ? does. We have a spiritual enemy who is hell bent on leading as many souls to the lake of fire as he can. And he will do anything it takes in order to deceive humanity into believing his lies.

The grand delusion is coming though. This will be his most mischevious deception of all time. He will form the unholy trinity as he literally manifest himself on planet earth when he takes control of the beast (aka the antichrist). He will also have the false prophet by his side to perform miracles. So it will be satan, the beast, and the false prophet forming the unholy trinity as he declars himself to be "? ". The whole world will worship him and pledge their allegaince to him by taking his mark.

When you know the truth though, you will not be deceived any longer by deception. There is a war for our souls and the battle has raged since the fall in the garden of eden. Therefore you must seek the LORD while He may be found! Call upon Him while He is near! He wants to receive you into His loving arms and shelter you from the coming storm! All who put their trust in Him will never be put to shame! Amen.
  • Bodhi
    Options

you living fairy tales

No matter how hard you try to not to believe, your date with the King is set in stone. And you will arrive at your appointment on time for your arrignement. May you be covered in the blood of Christ when you stand before Him. Amen.

prove it.

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited March 2014
    Options
    ....that bible verse had nothing to do with my comment. Just stop

It had everything to do with what you said. You said "merica aint worried bout nothing"

I proceeded to cosign what you said because that is what the prophecy says. The scripture I posted comes from Revelation 18 which details the fall of Babylon the Great. Babylon the Great is America. The spcefic scripture I pulled had to do with the attitude that Babylon the Great has prior to her fall. Read the passage again. I inserted the interpretion in ( )

"As much as she (AMERICA) glorified herself and lived luxuriously, give her that much torment and grief, for she (AMERICA) says in her heart," I sit as a queen; I am not a widow, and I will never see grief. For this reason in one day her (AMERICAS) plagues will come, pestilence and mourning and famine, and she (AMERICA) will be utterly burned up with fire; for the Lord ? who judges her (AMERICA) is strong." Revelation 18:7-8

Hope that helps. I will hold your hand and walk with you my friend. For the time is short and knowing truth is of the utmost importance. Amen.