The Black psyche has really been screwed up.

Options
The Lonious Monk
The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
So I was on another forum, and through the debate, this paper came up:

http://www.tippingresearch.com/uploads/customer_racial_discrimination10-30-06.pdf

For those that don't wanna actually read, here is a little excerpt that gives you an idea of what is being discussed.
A second potential explanation for a white server bias in tipping may be found in the
concepts of aversive racism and implicit racial attitudes. Dovidio and Gaertner (2004) argue that 5
as racism has become less socially acceptable, many people consciously endorse egalitarian
values while unconsciously harboring negative feelings about Blacks. The egalitarian values of
these aversive racists mean that they do not discriminate “directly and openly in ways that can be
attributed to racism” (Dovidio et. al. 2002, pg.90). However, their unconscious prejudices mean
that they “will discriminate, often unintentionally, when their behavior can be justified on the
basis of some factor other than race” (Doviodio et. al, 2002, pg. 90).

Consistent with these ideas about aversive racism, research on the Implicit Association
Test (IAT) suggests that many Whites and Blacks have an implicit (i.e., automatic and often
unconsious) preference for Whites over Blacks (Ashnurn-Nardo, Knowles & Monteith, 2003;
Nosek, Banaji & Greenwald, 2002). Furthermore, implicit racial attitudes have been found to
predict spontaneous behaviors (i.e., those outside of conscious control) toward Blacks as well as
deliberative behaviors toward Blacks that can be justified on other grounds. For example,
Dovidio et. al. (1997) found that implicit racial attitudes predicted White’s nonverbal behavior in
interactions with Blacks. Sargent (forthcoming) found that implicit racial attitudes predicted
choice of a black vs white work partner when that choice also determined the task to be
performed and could be interpreted as reflecting a preference for one task over another rather
than a preference for one partner over another.

Basically, in this study, they found that white people get tipped higher than black people, even if the service is the same. On the outset, that's not that big of a surprise. There are more white people in this country and white people will most definitely show preferential treatment to other white people. That's expected. The crazy thing is that they found that black people should the same preferential treatment to white people. They even reference a few other studies done with taxicabs and other services. It's wild to think about the fact that blacks have had their heads so messed up as a people that many of us are subconsciously wired to treat whites better than we treat each other.

Comments

• 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    One thing I find interesting is that most studies like this describe things I've observed, experienced and taken mental note of from my perspective, in this skin.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You just found this out about Black people? bruh...
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    You can say that about almost any scientific study. Everybody observes and experiences gravity. There still needed to be studies and experimentation conducted to characterize it in a way that was scientifically accepted.
  • 1of1
    1of1 Members Posts: 37,468 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can say that about almost any scientific study. Everybody observes and experiences gravity. There still needed to be studies and experimentation conducted to characterize it in a way that was scientifically accepted.

I wasn't speaking against it.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    twatgetta wrote: »
    You just found this out about Black people? bruh...

? always want to act like they know everything. Yes, I just found out that black people were out there giving black waitresses 2 dollars and white waitresses 10 dollars just because they were white. We're not simply talking about the crab in the bucket mentality that lots of black have. We're talking about the fact that it's 2014, and black people are still programmed to prefer white people. No matter how much hatred they claim to have for the white man, they still go out there every day and treat those white people better than other blacks. Maybe that seems normal to you, but that ? is crazy to me.
    1of1 wrote: »
    I wasn't speaking against it.

I know. It's just a common thing for people to come on here and point out that they already knew that a certain phenomenon existed based on their experience.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Right, this objective study shows how in the country basically everyone including the ones being preconceived have the same preconceived notions. White supremacy is real and very psychological to the point it creates an entire reality embedded into our subconscious. Scary and this is what wesare fighting against.
  • Olorun22
    Olorun22 Members Posts: 5,696 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We can actually become the the number one power if we play our cards right
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    SMH @ them moving this. I get that we have a R&R section, but G&S discussion is ambiguous. The mods shouldn't just move ? automatically without giving the discussion a chance.
  • twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    T/S how old are you? just askin bruh.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Bruh, this is common knowledge. I've seen instances of this throughout my life, and every time I see it I SMH. Why do you think a lot of us (black men) put white girls on a pedestal? A lot of us are so far gone, it's no use. That's why I stick to my close circle of kings and queens and teach along "family" lines.

... This is why I say majority of the street dudes low-key worship white people. They are quick to fight, violate or even ? one of their own, yet let a white person come along and they do a 180. They act all polite, and they give them the benefit of the doubt with any and everything.

They swear a black person is out to get them, yet they trust the same people that ? our women, lynched us, and want nothing to do with us in the grand scheme of things. The conditioning is very real.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Well I've never seen ? like this to be honest.

It's different than cats putting white chicks on a pedestal. That's not all that subliminal. You ask dudes why they like white girls, and they can give you half a dozen reasons easily. The reasons might be ? , but at least there is some formulated ideology behind cats choosing white girls over black girls. This tipping ? is deeper than that because it's not a matter of people coming up with some silly reason why one group is better than the other. It's a matter of people being so indoctrinated that they do the crazy ? without even knowing it.

I'm never seen this in my life. I know lots of people who just give base tips. I know people who give no tip at all. I've known guys who've given tips based on how good a chick looked. Hell, I know black people who specifically short change white serves as some kind of misguided "up yours" move towards the "Man." I don't know any black person who subconsciously gives more to whites than blacks, so the fact that there is actual proof of this happening is surprising to me.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've never seen this but it doesn't surprise me.

You see how ? think white women are nicer and more courteous than black women.

They just had a topic on that the other day.
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its human nature to treat people you feel you can benefit off better than someone you feel is equal too or less than you

The media portrays whites as everything good and pretty much every other race as everything thats bad and undesirable (besides our woman which are sexually objectified) so it creates a subconscious animosity that we passive aggressively pursue and live through without question

Same ? happens with music where acclaim forces people to not only support something of questionable quality, but also dislike the things that don't sound like it, even if the unpopular stuff actually resonates more with them.

Though people act as if authority is something to be fought against, the truth is most people dont move unless society says jump
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options