The Meaning of G-Funk

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in The Reason
In the ? vs Illmatic thread, alot of people said that Snoop/Dre were making R&B and it was "crossover" music. The truth is that it was G-Funk, which is an updated version of P-Funk.

P-Funk literally is short for Parliament and Funkadelic, two groups that were both headed by legendary funk producer George Clinton in the 1970s. Due to contractual reasons, they were essentially the same band signed to two different labels. The stuff that Parliament released was more funky while the stuff Funkadelic released was more psychadelic rock. Both groups released several songs in the mid to late 70s that is the foundation for the West Coast G-Funk sound.

1. Sir Nose D'Void of Funk - Parliament
2. Flashlight - Parliament
3. One Nation Under A Groove - Funkadelic
4. Not Just Knee Deep - Funkadelic
5. We Want Bootsy - Bootsy Collins
6. I'd Rather Be With You - Bootsy Collins
7. Atomic Dog - George Clinton
8. More Bounce to the Ounce - Zapp (produced by Bootsy Collins)
9. P-Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up) - Parliament
10. Motheship Connection - Parliament

^^^^Those are all songs that came out in the mid 70s to early 80s that Dr Dre remade in between the Niggaz4life LP and the ? LP. This is the source for the entire G-Funk movement. You can find all of these songs on Youtube. Listen to them for yourself.

The reason I made this thread is because in the Illmatic vs ? thread, people were saying that Dr Dre was commercial and R&B which isn't true. He got his style directly from the aformentioned songs. He was paying homage to P-Funk. If there's anybody on the IC that thinks I'm wrong and that Dr Dre didn't get his style from Parliament/Funkadelic then let me know and I'll try to explain it a little better. Not taking anything away from Dr Dre but this is clearly and unquestionably where he got his style from.

Comments

• _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Copy and paste this to the other thread.
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Alright Lieutenant. I copied and pasted it to the other thread but now we have two threads
  • supergangster
    supergangster Members Posts: 8,872 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shut the ? up. I took a break from this site 1 week and I remember when I left that you made a thread & you still makin threads. CAN you shut up? YOu fat ? .
  • DR. JEK
    DR. JEK Members Posts: 5,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    By people you mean that one ? Zombie. Dopegame right man, you didnt have to make this thread, there are plenty of us ethering his post and letting him know he has no idea what he's talking about already.
  • nohiphop1
    nohiphop1 Members Posts: 600 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    Oh by the way, there were several offshoot groups that had the same core members;

Parliament - Released 7 or 8 albums in the 70s
    Funkadelic - Released 7 or 8 albums in the 70s
    Bootsy Collins - Bass player for Parliament/Funkadelic, released several solo albums
    Parlet - background singers for Parliament/Funkadelic
    The Brides of Funkenstein - Background singers for Parliament/Funkadelic
    Fred Wesley & the ? Horns - Parliament/Funkadelic's horn section
    Eddie Hazel - Guitar player for Parliament/Funkadelic
    Zapp - Offshoot group produced by Bootsy Collins had about 4 albums in the early 80s
    Roger Troutman - lead singer for Zapp, released at least one album in the early 80s
    P-Funk Allstars - Released an album in 1983 after George Clinton left the group

Parliament/Funkadelic was like Wu-Tang. They formed like Voltron. If I had more time I'd list more songs and albums.
  • bck145
    bck145 Members Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    g-funk was amazing, still is but it's not around anymore....those beats haven't been touched since, put on some old school west coast rap, doesn't have to be ? and see ppl get nuts