whats a zone defense???

Options
john2009
john2009 Confirm Email Posts: 2,081 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in From the Cheap Seats
I just realized i dont fully understand what a zone defense is...and how da suns are using it against lakeshow ..lakeshow shooting all those damn 3's against da suns when they should have size...

what does zone defense do?

put on your coaching hat...and tell me what a zone defense is...and what can be done to STOP it.........

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You guard areas.. you dont guard people..

You can ? the zone.. pass around the perimeter of the zone.. and shoot the zone out.. If you make the zone react rather than act.. you have the upperhand..
  • Dick Shitman
    Dick Shitman Members Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    You guard areas.. you dont guard people..

You can ? the zone.. pass around the perimeter of the zone.. and shoot the zone out.. If you make the zone react rather than act.. you have the upperhand..

hence the number of threes LA took
  • KplusK
    KplusK Members Posts: 2,114 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    wow your kidding or just dont know anything about basketball...cause thats the first thing you learn def wise when your lil. Much easier than playing man. and like he said as long as you ? the zone you can break it down and kick out to shooters but if their not hitting it could be a long game for you.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    Options
    The best way to beat the zone is ? .
  • aneed123
    aneed123 Members Posts: 23,763 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    its a cop out to help teams who cant defend..... it helps against size. like dude earlier said u guard areas main point is to keep teams from getting in the paint
  • DatGuyJ22
    DatGuyJ22 Members Posts: 1,093
    edited May 2010
    Options
  • john2009
    edited May 2010
    Options
    KplusK wrote: »
    wow your kidding or just dont know anything about basketball...cause thats the first thing you learn def wise when your lil. Much easier than playing man. and like he said as long as you ? the zone you can break it down and kick out to shooters but if their not hitting it could be a long game for you.

i ma NOT kiddin you...i have been a big fan of basketball since i was young....if i dont know sumthing ...ima ask....i dont care what y'all think.....
  • KeepOnPushing
    KeepOnPushing Members Posts: 17,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Wow Son.................................Wow......You Might have just Revoked Your Cheap Seats Pass............My Goodness..............Wow..........You're Serious??

Claiming You like sports but you Dont know what a Zone is?????....You Minus Well be a ? ? ....it's the same ? , dont ever be around a female and say that ? .
  • john2009
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Wow Son.................................Wow......You Might have just Revoked Your Cheap Seats Pass............My Goodness..............Wow..........You're Serious??

Claiming You like sports but you Dont know what a Zone is?????....You Minus Well be a ? ? ....it's the same ? , dont ever be around a female and say that ? .

LOL...funny post....i had kinda of an idea of what a zone is...but i didnt fully understand what it was........ no on eis perfect about anything...so i dont give a ? what u think.... it dont even matter

i am sure there are some topics dat su dont know...that someone knows better tahn u....da best thing is now that i have asked about zone defense....i will be able to analyze it even more for game 5...thansk cheap seats....
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    peagle05 wrote: »
    c1f44a010529bfdfe6962a0bf6b9a212.gif........................

after i read the thread title
  • bull6599
    bull6599 Members Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    yo when ur b-day b???

9780764552489-l.jpg
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited May 2010
    Options
    LOL at This ? Probably was Born in 2000 ....
  • G.R.I.P. Money $$$
    G.R.I.P. Money $$$ Members Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    lol, its ok tho bruh...
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited May 2010
    Options
    122ZoneDefenseHighPostCoverage.GIF ................Lmao
  • KeepOnPushing
    edited May 2010
    Options
    image78-med.jpg ................
  • radaman
    radaman Members Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    How old are you John? I knew what a zone defense was at like 10... Come on b...
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Lol at least he bein humble about gettin roasted
  • radaman
    radaman Members Posts: 11,912 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Lol at least he bein humble about gettin roasted

True true... He shoulda just googled the ? tho... Not a good look round here man...
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    edited May 2010
    Options
    A description of a zone defense corresponds to the number of players on the front of the zone and works its way to the back of the zone. For example, a 2–3 zone is a zone defense in which two defenders are covering areas in the top of the zone (near the top of the key) while three defenders are covering areas near the baseline.

Other types of zone defense include:

* Match-up zone, a hybrid of man-to-man defense and zone defense where players apply man-to-man defense to whichever opposing player enters their area. John Chaney, former head coach of Temple University, is this defense's most famous proponent.
    * Box-and-one in which four defenders are in a 2–2 zone and one defender guards a specific player on the offense. A variant of this is the triangle-and-two, in which three defenders are in a 2–1 zone and two defenders guard two specific offensive players. This scheme was invented by the late National Basketball Hall of Fame coach and former Temple University head coach Harry Litwack.
    * 1–3–1 Half Court Trap where a quicker but long-limbed forward guards the ball handler and attempts to disrupt quick passes as the guards have to pass around the wingspan of the larger forward. The center stands around the free throw line with a guard protecting the low post. The other two players stand on either side of the center with all 3 players keeping their arms stretched out. From many aspects this works more like a man-to-man defense, as players wear down quicker and it is tough to shoot from the perimeter over a tall forward. This zone requires a single player to be the ball defender.

When a team plays a zone, the defenders must keep their hands up and in passing lanes and quickly adjust their positions as the ball and the offensive players move around. Teams that successfully play zone defenses are very vocal and effectively communicate where they, the ball, and their opponents are or will be.

Teams playing a zone occasionally try to "trap" the ball handler, an aggressive strategy designed to "double-team" the player with the ball. While this tactic may cause a turnover, it leaves one or more players on the offense undefended.

Zone defenses were prohibited in the National Basketball Association prior to the 2001–2002 season. The NBA currently permits the use of zones; however, teams generally do not use them as a primary defensive strategy and no zone defense may feature an unguarded defender inside the free-throw lane (a violation of that results in a defensive three-second violation, which is a technical foul). Zone defenses are more common in international, college, and youth competition.

Advantages of playing a zone defense

There are several reasons for a team to use a zone defense. Some are listed below.

* The opposing team has a player or players too quick (in the case of guards) or too big (in the case of forwards or centers) for a man-to-man defense to be effective.
    * Many zones pack defenders in the lane but allow the offensive team to take long-range shots. If the opponents are poor long-range shooters, a zone can be very effective.
    * Unless trapping is involved, zone defenses typically do not involve aggressive pressure on the ball handler and allow the offensive team to pass the ball around the perimeter, leading to more time being used by the offensive team before a shot is attempted. Therefore, teams wanting to slow down the tempo of a game will often choose to play zone.
    * A poor defensive player can often be "hidden" in a zone because teammates can more easily help if he or she is beaten.
    * If players are in danger of fouling out (especially forwards or centers, who typically guard the lane), using a zone helps to take the pressure off them.
    * Playing a zone is usually less tiring than playing man-to-man, so fatigued teams are more inclined to use zones.
    * Some teams play a zone when the opponents inbound the ball under the basket to help prevent easy scores off of screen plays.
    * Against teams with inexperienced guards, trapping zones can disrupt the offense and force turnovers.

Disadvantages of playing a zone defense

Playing a zone entails some risks. Some are listed below.

* Zones tend to be weak on the perimeter, so they are not very effective against teams with good outside shooters.
    * Zones have gaps (areas that are not well-covered by defenders) that can be exploited by teams that pass well or have guards capable of penetrating the zone.
    * If a team is behind in the game, playing a zone is a poor strategy because zones usually allow the offense to take more time off the clock on each possession, which limits the time remaining for the losing team to reduce the lead.
    * When a shot is attempted, it is often harder for players in a zone to find counterparts to box out for the rebound, which sometimes results in an offensive player getting an easy offensive rebound.

Attacking a zone defense

While strategies for countering zone defenses vary and often depend on the strengths and weaknesses of both the offensive and defensive teams, there are some general principles that are typically used by offensive teams when facing a zone.

* Many popular zones (such as the 2–3 and 1–2–2) have a gap in the middle of the lane. Getting the ball in this area can be very effective because the defense is often forced to "collapse" on the ball handler, freeing up other players for open shots. To exploit this gap, many teams assign a forward to operate in the "high post" area near the free throw line to catch and distribute the ball. A forward in the high post area can also set screens on the players at the top of the zone to allow ? by the guards.
    * Quick passing is an important element of attacking any zone. The defense will shift as the ball moves, but if the offense can move the ball faster than the defense can react, open shots can result. Quick passing against a zone often leads to open three-point shots, and zone defenses are less effective against teams with good three-point shooters.
    * Dribble ? is very effective in breaking down a zone. If a guard can dribble into the gaps in the zone, multiple defenders must converge on the ball. The ball handler can then often pass to an open teammate for a shot. This strategy illustrates why preventing dribble ? is important in playing an effective zone defense.
    * Short Corner: Attacking the "Short Corner", or baseline area behind the defense outside the lane, against a 2-3 zone puts the defense in rotation and opens up the mid post.
    * Screening the backside of the zone: this opens up weakside shooters off a skip pass or ball rotation.
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    ^ damn man lol
  • john2009
    edited May 2010
    Options
    radaman wrote: »
    How old are you John? I knew what a zone defense was at like 10... Come on b...

I wil be 24 yrs old on may 31st
  • john2009
    edited May 2010
    Options
    radaman wrote: »
    True true... He shoulda just googled the ? tho... Not a good look round here man...

what u mean...dis is a ? message board....I sure hope YOU aint tryna IMPRESS anybody around here...
  • DarcSkies777
    DarcSkies777 Members Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    john2009 wrote: »
    what u mean...dis is a ? message board....I sure hope YOU aint tryna IMPRESS anybody around here...

lol

ANyway, I dont think there is anything wrong with not knowing what a zone defense is. There is just something unusual about it if you're a sports fan.
  • Mdizzle9000
    Mdizzle9000 Members, Writer Posts: 8,319 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options