Who's the next face of the WWE?

Options
VIBE
VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
Cena has been around since his debut match on SmackDown w Kurt Angle back in 2002.

His time is still isn't up, he has a lot in the tank to pull off a few more years. But, he's already been around a while, the crowds have gotten tired of him and other guys are getting big pops, even as heels.

So, who do you think has the potential to be the next John Cena? A workhorse, puts in everything he has to be the face of the WWE.

Ziggler?
Cesaro?
Daniel Bryan?
Roman Reigns?
Seth Rollins?

or, has 'the one' not yet arrived?

Comments

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He's not on the roster yet. Reigns will be big if he can get better as a solo act but the next big, big "face" is probably in developmental getting mediocre reviews from the trainers just like the boy JC.

I was going to make a topic but I might as well say it here: Daniel Bryan is gonna be this generation's Bret Hart. Hes gonna be a serviceable main event talent but hes already got years of wear and tear on him and his greatest skill isn't in telling jokes or cutting promos but in-between the ropes.

There's nothing wrong with any of that either but the "face" has always been more of an entertainer/bodybuilder with promo skills and a more "All-American" look.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    hard to tell, from ur list i can see em all as champions, roman reigns strikes me as the only one who could get close to a face of wwe level like cena or orton, the rest strike me as maybe a half a notch lower like a number 2 or 3 guy, but not quite number one, be dope if they got to that far tho, but they'd need promo/character improvement

edit: its good that bret hart was brought up cuz i could only see ziggler, cesaro, and bryan as top guys comparable to how bret was one, i see seth as comparable to how edge jeff hardy or rey were top guys
  • its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ? and kids love Cena, no one cares how trash he is on the mic or how boring and predictable his matches are, I can see Roman being that guy, but I have faith he can actually be good at it and reach legendary status, like when you had Hogan, Rock and Stonecold in the ring at wrestlemania Roman can become a guy that gets that type of reaction and we all can reflect on what he's done and appreciate his body of work, Cena will still get booed 10-15 years from now and laugh it off like "they really love their just ? with me" no dog you suck
  • VIBE
    Options
    Cenas fans will grow older and they'll look back upon their "hero" and see him as corny.

It's a kid phase.

One thing I've noticed about Cena is that no matter what, he steals shine from others. The SmackDown! promo where he used "brother" and said some weird ass off the wall ? , then beat his chest and hummed. Other times he takes credit for ? he never started or did. Then, he says anyone that's new that wants to be big needs to go through him. Pandering to the crowd etc..

It's obvious he's scared of fading away.

Let's be honest, look at all the old guys who've hung up their boots and left..

Austin
    Goldberg
    Undertaker (basically, he's done)
    Hogan
    Warrior
    Scott Hall
    HBK

etc

All these guys left and no one cares about them anymore. Even fans of the AE/RAE have moved on..

Cena doesn't want to be like that, he knows that the new generation moves in and will eventually make the older guys irrelevant.

He hasn't been champ in a long time. The last few times he had short runs.

That's why he try's so hard. He's in good health and he will be around for a while longer but his run has run stale. The only fans he has are the kids and women, and a handful of men who are confused about their sexuality. Hogan knew he couldn't keep their American gimmick alive his whole career, that's why he went heel. He was more over as a heel than ever.

Cena knows his time is up and their (new generation) time is now. Dude is trying to stay hip w them but can't.

I think Bryan has the potential more than anyone right now.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Hes still in FCW/NXT or I ROH right now.
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hope its Ambrose
  • VIBE
    Options
    I hope its Ambrose

Nah, he's too quirky.
  • DarkRaiden
    DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    IDK YET I NEED ABOUT ANOTHER YEAR OR TWO BE FOR I SEE A CLEAR CUT LEADER.

IN A YR OR TWO WE WILL SEE IF THE MEMBERS OF THE SHIELD, MEMBERS OF THE WYATTS,DB ETC STILL BE DOING IT OR JUST A PHASE OF TRANSITIONING FROM THE PG ERA TO THE NEW ERA

BUT IN VINCE'S EYE WHICH IS THE ONLY THING THAT COUNTS IT SEEMS LIKE THE FACE OF THE WWE IS

STILL NONE OTHER THAN JOHN CENA
  • VIBE
    Options
    Cena will be 60 main eventing WM and winning the title.
  • afro thunder
    afro thunder Members Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I think they'll try to find someone that is sort of young to push so he can be the face for a long time just like Cena.

So it would have to be someone that is still in their 20's. I thought they had big plans for Bo Dallas that's why they put him in the Royal Rumble last year.

I don't think they've signed the next face yet but I expect it to be Cena for at least the next 5 years.
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Roman just dont got the mic work i dont think he can be that dude tho
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BeleeDatPleighboy
    BeleeDatPleighboy Members Posts: 8,461 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Roman need some lessons from his big cuz Dwayne to sharpen his promo/mic skills
  • TonyDubbz
    TonyDubbz Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 19,261 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    I think its Sami Zayn and hes still in NXT if Chris Hero was not released then it would definitely have been him up there with Zayn and Bryan too.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    He's not in the company yet.

It won't be Roman Reigns. He'll be a star but he's way too limited both in ring and in terms of gimmick to ever be the guy. Maybe if you give him a gimmick that matches his real life more laid back and lighthearted personality he could become more of a natural on the mic. Still won't do any favors for his in ring lameness though but it could at least make him more of a stand out character.

As of now having him play the tough guy makes it seem like a kid that tries way too hard to act like a badass since he's obviously out of his element with the current persona promo wise. At this point if it wasn't for all his hot tag spots people wouldn't even really have a reason to care. As you can see by the wackness of his singles matches to date from developmental all the way to the main roster.

• Broddie
    edited June 2014
    Options
    TonyDubbz wrote: »
    I think its Sami Zayn and hes still in NXT if Chris Hero was not released then it would definitely have been him up there with Zayn and Bryan too.

Chris Hero would've never been much without a variation on his indy days gimmick anyway and since they gave all that to Wade Barrett to see if it could make him less boring it was likely not gonna happen.

Sami Zayn will never be the next face. On top of him being vocally pro muslim something the majority of WWE's fanbase won't stomach you also need more than in ring skills to stand out as the star. As you can see by Daniel Bryan's current run and Zayn is even blander than Bryan in that regard. CM Punk was a very mediocre wrestler compared to both of them. Not even one of the top 40 of his generation in the eyes of thousands of industry die hards and analysts in ring wise even when you factor his indy work; but his personality made him a transcending star.

It made his basic in ring skills not seem like much of a hindrance because it balanced everything out. He's a jack of all trades and master of none which is what you need in order to display that "it" factor on hand anytime you're asked to do so. Where as both Zayn and Bryan are masters of certain trades but not well rounded enough to be the jacks of all trades.
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Co_Town_Michael Members Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    ? want these Kevin Steen, indy ass ? to be the guy soooo bad.
    But it won't happen.
    It will probably be Roman Reigns.
    He has the connections, fans can get behind him, he has the build WWE likes, and with improved ring work; he could be a better version of John Cena.

Not what you want, but it's what probably will happen.
    Accept it.
  • Broddie
    edited June 2014
    Options
    But it won't happen.

He has the connections, fans can get behind him, he has the build WWE likes, and with improved ring work; he could be a better version of John Cena.

Accept it.

It's the truth. Nobody outside of the existing WWE fanbase will even care. The point of the "face" is to be a transcending star. The type of wrestler that even you friends know about at least on a name basis. I don't think Reigns has that in him either even if the girls who are fans right now think he's eyecandy that's not enough.

You need a guy who the guys want to be like and rally behind and the girls want to ? to get that mainstream attention. Like Stone Cold and right now the fanbase is divided enough about Reigns as it is. He's more like the next Orton not the next Rock.

Truthfully there shouldn't be one guy anyway. Everytime the WWE was at it's best is because it was a team effort

Golden Age when Hogan was the guy he wasn't carrying the product on his own. The midcard (Savage, Warrior, Mr. Perfect, Dibiase, Steamboat etc.) were the ones getting it in on weekly TV and keeping the audience invested while elevating themselves into Main Event level talent.

Attitude Era when Austin was the guy he wasn't carrying the product on his own. The midcard (Rocky, Taker, Foley, Angle, The Radicalz etc.) were the ones getting it in on weekly TV and keeping the audience invested while elevating themselves into Main Event level talent.

Didn't see the Ruthless Aggression era but from what I gather from those who did the same applied there.

Today though the midcard is booked horrendously and since that is the backbone of the product until that division is put into proper shape again they have a lot more to worry about then just who "the next face" will be. Their main concern right now should be and likely is trying to set up all the faces (yes that's supposed to be plural) of tomorrow's product before anything else so that HHH could have a smoother transition when he's finally fully in charge.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I said it before and I'll say it again, Roman Reigns is another Batista. His limitations will be really visible once he's by himself.

He got political weight definitely and the crowds as of right now are into him but that's because less is more, once he has to cut promos by himself, wrestle matches by himself it will become obvious that he's a "top guy" but not THE guy.

• DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    But it won't happen.

Accept it.
    But it won't happen.

Accept it.

Indy ass ? : Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, Cesaro, CMPunk, Daniel Bryan. Know your history.
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Options
    But it won't happen.

Accept it.
    But it won't happen.

Accept it.

Indy ass ? : Dean Ambrose, Seth Rollins, Cesaro, CMPunk, Daniel Bryan. Know your history.

My ? ....
    All the guys you mentioned have character that the fans can get behind but none of them outside of Punk truly has the it factor that WWE is looking for.
    DB is just a fad right now.
    The yes chants will stop one day.
    WWE doesn't aim to please you indy loving, ROH/PWG ? sucking, fantasy booking, wannabe creative team-member ass ? .
    Their goal is to find the next guy who's face they can slap on every poster, commercial, t-shirt and billboard they can find.
    The face of the WWE truly has to have a larger than life personality that fans can relate, and gravitate to.
    Again, WWE doesn't aim to please you ? that swear by indies.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    nosign DB being a fad, ? been goin well over 2 years, even if YES somehow dies, he gon still be a top guy
  • Co_Town_Michael
    Options
    nosign DB being a fad, ? been goin well over 2 years, even if YES somehow dies, he gon still be a top guy

True, he has cemented himself on the upper card for his career at this point.
    He'll be the guy they go to for a 20 minute match on Raw, and to steal the show at a PPV, but I still feel he'll never be the guy.
    However... John Cena is clearly rubbing off on him right now.
    He gets beat down for alot of the match, has the predictable comeback with the same moves in the same sequence, and overcomes the odds yet again.
    He can't even lose clean at this point, or it could diminish his entire momentum that he had going pre-injury.

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    yea, his latest match versus kane was a more even battle and a step in the right direction but i still fear they'll book him same as cena, especially coming off this injury now